Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Disadvantages of homeschooling??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Disadvantages of homeschooling?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  08:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
ok... i was homeschooled for 8 years 5th-my graduation day! my sister has been homeschooled since 2nd grade and is a senior in high school. I've been living in the country all my life. I will tell you i never had friends near me...I had pen pals...also I went and saw people at my grandma;s retirement home...at church and other places. to this day i am a social butterfly...I went on to college where i mastered a 4.0 and the highest GPA than all my peers around me. Anyone can be a teacher...it doesn't require a degree...it requires knowledge and trust me my mom should have a degree in everything. she does it all. I have been to college and i know more than some of the professors who have a PhD. I believe that it is what you make of it. I never lacked anything in fact i feel like i gained the whole world. I learned home economics when the public school system took it out. I even learned about the Trinity when I can't pray in a public school...I was also homeschooled because of a willing parent who knew that it was what God wanted her to do...i believe no one should be denied a one-on-one education. Let's face it public schools are great especially for people who cannot homeschool, cannot afford it and are busy working to provide for there own families. I will say this much if it's what you want to do and you truly have a desire than it can't be wrong for you...if you have questions or if you would like to know more about my experience than please feel free to message me. I also had epilepsy and when my mom started homeschooling me it went away and as a result of that i am not taking medicine for it. :D I love it!

OK I WILL STEP OFF MY SOAP BOX...AM PRETTY POLITICALLY MINDED SO YEP! hehehe

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  09:06:20 AM  Show Profile
It depends on where you live. The way I saw it, when we homeschooled, is that you can find ways to solve any situation that may seem "difficult" to home school. In smaller towns, it may be difficult to find groups of homeschooled kids to get together with. If that happens, you can simply search for outside area groups and start your own group.

There are many advantages. You can always get curriculum advice from most homeschool forums.

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind."
Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  09:11:03 AM  Show Profile
Here, here Patricia and Brooke.

I think it's funny how some think you "need" some kind of degree to teach your own children.

Yet, we made it this far in history with very few being educated by people with "degrees"! hahaha

A few short 100 years ago, people went to the 3rd or at most 9th grade. And went on to lead productive lives, and produce smart, happy children. etc.

Funny, my grandmother was one of those women. She went all the way to 9th grade (one of the first in her area!) and was able to do so much in her life! Mother, Wife, Private Detective (yes a professional one), Dental Assistant. She bought 10 houses, and became a land lady. AND when my grandfather died in a tragic plane crash, she managed to raise 5 small children, and have full time jobs all on her own, in the 1950's!

She learned the "three R's" in school, but she gave most of the credit of how she learned to adapt and do what she had to, to her parents! Who made it through the depression raising 5 children themselves, and picking cotton for a penny a day!

So.... funny to me all the sudden after thousands of years of obviously the human race making it this far, now people need degrees to teach their own children.

Also funny, how now that we have to have degrees, the world has gotten so much more scary-children thinking people owe thing something, more violence....less time with parents, etc.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  10:37:19 AM  Show Profile
Ironically I just recieved this from my uncle in law-
http://cbs5.com/video/?id=55337@kpix.dayport.com

It's a news story featuring my cousin in law, Cheryl Woodford and her daughter Alexis.

BTW, Cheryl is VERY educated. You may of heard of a little company called PeoplePC, yeah....that's was Cheryl's idea/company, until she sold it at a very good price. She still is a programmer today. But, she does not lack education, or social skills. And either does Alexis. Both Cheryl and my husband's cousin (Cheryl's ex husband) were from small schools, I believe Cheryl may of been homeschooled, and Pete went to a small private school here in NYC.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jennybean
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

new york
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  6:13:31 PM  Show Profile
I'd debated about what to do when my d. got to school age. We started public school with the thought that we'd give it a trial period and then reevaluate. All three of us, hubby, d., and myself, discussed and wanted to do homeschooling. So that's what we're doing for this year (taking it one at a time). We're taking part in a homeschooling co-op, and she's going to a private Montessori/Waldorf/naturalistic private school one day a week. So we're into our third week of homeschooling right now. I haven't nailed down a regular weekly schedule enough yet to where I feel I've found a comfortable planning time. There's a bunch of commitment and there's a lot of energy needed, sometimes I feel sapped (and go to bed real early) (and I have a two year old as well). As far as nitty gritty that's it. That said, I love it.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  9:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm so glad to hear that there are so many homeschool moms out there!! You don't know how great a gift you are giving your children! I've been homeschooled all my life and am so greatful that my mom and dad decided to homeschool me.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  06:14:18 AM  Show Profile
We homeschool, sorta. We do the virtual school. Its free, and all the curricula are available right online along with a teacher to boot, so if we get stuck there she is. I cant see a disadvantage at all. Other kids know things kids shouldnt know and teach it to my kid. I hate that. Let em be innocent for a while for goodness sake. As a downside I would say perhaps the social side, no prom, no homecoming games for the highschoolers. I dont know. We do a lot of other activities so I guess it evens out, besides, my son can spend three weeks in Minnesota with grandparents and stay caught up with school, or we can travel. Its super flexible and fantastic. We are in Georgia so we do k-12-gva. But in the past we have done connections academy in MN. Both were excellent programs. My son is in accelerated classes and doing french.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Disadvantages of homeschooling?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page