Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Another sign of a bad economy- Poor horses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Another sign of a bad economy- Poor horses Next Topic
Page: of 4

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  3:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, due to our overcrowded conditions right now the Pilot Point horses have been turned over to the North Texas SPCA they are closer to the action and it just makes more since, especially since we are still dealing with the other group and have a group here in Houston of 30 we may have to do something about. I don't know what they will do with them but most rescues geld every stallion that comes through. So I would imagine that is what they will do. I have never heard of spaying mares. The surgery would be pretty intense. Our requirements for foster and adoption are pretty much the same. We don't require a barn but we do require some sort of shelter even if it is just a cover of some kind. We don't allow any barbed wire unless the area is more than 5 acres and we don't allow it as cross fencing. We don't allow cattle guards. The fencing needs to be 41/2 feet high. No Stallions on the property if there are mares. Adequate clean water available at all times. Feed stored appropriately and hay available as needed. 1/2 acre per equine on good grass and 1 acre per equine on poor grass. For fosters we require a current coggins at all times but adopters are allowed to decide if they want to keep that up to date. But in Texas it is required if you move the equine. Any one taking horses has to provide a reputable equine reference like a vet or a farrier.
We do follow-ups after you have the equine for 3 months then again in 3 months then one every 6 months 3x's. If those all go well then we drop it to one Vet Form filled out by the vet once a year. We don't adopt or foster to anyone that intends to use the equine for breeding. If for any reason the foster/adopter decides they can no longer care for the equine we take it back and find it a new home. If the adopter/foster finds a home the new home must go through the same application and inspection process. This all may sound very harsh when we are desperate for new homes but it is the commitment we make to the horses. Once we pull them from a bad situation we don't want to have to do it again. Right now we have 12 left of the Bonham/Fannin county group. We are still looking for homes for them. For fosters we pay alot of the vet costs. But we also continue to try to get the horses adopted so at any time the horse could be taken away. I finally saw photo's of the fannin group today and some of them didn't look to bad but others were horrible, skinny (just bones) and their skin peeling off and sunburn. There are two babies one doesn't look to bad but the other is pretty bad.
As far as them going to Arkansas I don't know. They were turned over later this morning to North Texas SPCA. We occasionally let them leave the state but usually only for adoptions. It is to hard to get transport back to the ranch if they go to far. It use to not be bad and we had horses in Florida, Montana, South Carolina, Oklahoma and Georgia. But now with the gas prices we can't get them moved back here. I always hear of people with 1, 2 or 3 hundred acres with 3 horses or 4 horses and I wish we had the land. Our 38 acres are full up. Keep the horses in your thought and send us good wishes we need all the help we can get. Homes, Hay and money. Those are our biggest needs just now. We go through about 7 round bales a day at the ranch. With the drought hay is beginning to be a big problem. Thanks once again for listening. It is nice to be able to get it all out at the end of the day.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  5:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Beth- there are 3 ways to spay a mare- one is like doing it to dogs and is the most expensive and hardest on the mare. The second two are easier on the mare and less expensive as well. Here is a good article:
http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_management/spayed_mare.htm

The major horse rescue here in Montana spays all mares and gelds all stallions.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  10:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Alee thanks for the information. Our experience with mares with tumors has been that the major surgical procedure is far to dangerous because of excessive blood loss. It is done for tumors etc. but the risks are to high for just the average mare. The hormone therapy is not permanent so once the horse left us it would be hard to monitor. The new technique is not widely used and I imagine only newer younger vets would have the training. If the stallions are all cut then the mares are ok. That is why we never foster or adopt to anyone with a Stallion. Castration is a much easier process and safer for the horse involved.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  11:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I agree- I just was wondering since the Montana resue spays theirs. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  1:20:38 PM  Show Profile
My vet was telling me a story yesterday about a woman in our area who lost her job or something, and couldn't afford to feed her horses anymore. She couldn't even get anyone to take them in. She contacted his office and asked to have all of them put down. He couldn't bring himself to do it. He didn't know what happened to them after that. He felt bad, but couldn't put them down for no reason. If I would have known, I would have tried to do something, or at least find homes among my friends. It was all very sad and I was sorry to hear it.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  7:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately that is becoming a very common thing. Vets won't put them down for no reason, rescues are full and people everywhere are loosing their jobs. But at the same time there are acres and acres of public land that these horses could survive on but the local ranchers are using the land to graze their cattle on. They pay nothing then sell the cattle and make a profit. This is causing the horses to be rounded up and held in inhumane holding areas or being unlawfully shipped into canada or mexico for slaughter. As long as the current government is in charge we are going to continue to see these things. Ok I will shut up now.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  8:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Beth, don't ever shut-up or animals will continue to suffer due to politics, we must all speak out when ever possible cause animals can't

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  08:12:05 AM  Show Profile
I just came back from a trip to Yellowstone, and saw fat horses along the way. Lots of people are still taking good care of their equines...but maybe a bit more excersize for those! :) Just thought I'd shine a little sunshine in here. There are lots of loved horses too with good folks to care for them. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  08:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Yes, you're right! I see more fat ones than thin ones..... I went to visit my mom's draft mare and her pony companion yesterday and if they gain anymore weight they'll pop, LOL!!!! I love chubby horses and ponies. My vet scolds me about letting mine get "too fat". Thank you for that thought, Michelle. :)

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  10:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Yes there are people still caring for their horses and there are people still taking them in everyday. We have placed all but ll of the Fannin County horses already and we got a call from some wonderful woman in Oklahoma who is wanting to foster 20. I must admit that there are alot of loving wonderful people out there that are helping the horses. All but 3 of the Nebraska 200 have been placed. And I must admit that my vet got on to me last time I took the Colonel in for a checkup. He is 14.2hh and weighs the same as my 16.2hh draft mix who is the perfect weight for his size. The poor Colonel has lost his hey snack in the evening.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  12:08:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, fat on anyone, human or animal is just as dangerous as under weight. The vet I worked for as a young adult used to call it, " killing them with kindness", it will shorten their life spans by up to 1/2.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  6:18:41 PM  Show Profile
So True! But try to reason with a horse with a mouth full of nice fresh grass. :) I felt absolutely cruel limiting our horses "grass time" but they look much better. Not too thin, not too fluffy. Horses will certainly keep a gal on her toes. Q was so happy I was home, he was full of snuggles today. Much as I love horses, I know it isn't for everyone, and I always worry that when I go on about how much I love mine, I might accidentally talk another person into ownership who may not be ready for all it entails.

Consider, what, they live 30 years? More or less? And how long does the average marriage last any more? And people are just sure it's love. Gosh, most kids are grown and gone by their 20's. And a horse...two, three, ten... there's a huge responsibility and a lot of learning to do. Best hope is for a stable home to provide for 30 years, hope you don't get laid off, lose a loved one, or suffer any other drastic change in expectations, like an illness, and appreciate your luck and your horses' luck to have each happy day we can get and share.

One more quick plug...it is always best if you can be there for someone/some horse before they end up at a shelter. A lot of folks really do try to find help before they reach the end of the rope. Sometimes their circles are just too limited to reach the person that can make a difference. Bless those that do make a difference! And a donation goes way farther than extra pasture space allows any of us! Feed, vet, time, etc...donations look like a bargain compared to the responsibility of bringing home another equine.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  6:26:13 PM  Show Profile
OH, and ZenGoddess/Cindy... this may be awful, but there's nothing like a pig for getting rid of snakes. A pig will hunt and eat them in no time flat. I will spare you the story, but leave it at this...my husband knows this for a fact, from experience as a boy. Personally, I don't have a problem with snakes and welcome them in the garden. Sort of a life-cycle/balance thing.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  7:38:33 PM  Show Profile
You are very right about it being a 30 year commitment. The average horse has between 7 and 10 owners in its lifetime. That is scary. I know my older gelding has had at least 4. My husband recently got laid off and the minute he told me I started thinking about how I would deal with the horses if the lay of was extended. It is not a happy feeling. We just picked one of our horses that has been adopted three times and returned for various reasons. It is not good for them to move that often.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  11:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- you brought up one of the points that I think people do forget- a horse's longevity. That is one of the reasons I won't ever buy Nora a pony. A true pony. I think it is so sad for kids to outgrow their friend!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  12:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Alee, my friend who lives in Arkansas (the one I asked Beth about if she could adopt one of the Texas Arabs)) called me a number of years ago. Her little girl wanted a horse and she was a very small girl for her age. I mean very petite. So her mom asked if I could find an Arabian that was not a big horse preferrably in white/gray and mom wanted it to be a gelding. She said there were not so many arabians in her area. I called around and read the list of qualifications to all of the owners I could find and on about the fifth call the lady said "I have him" Sure enough, that started a love story between a little girl and her horse. She is now grown with kids of her own and she still rides and so loves this horse. She married a horse lover too. I was at the wedding. Out in a lush green pasture were bales of hay made for the seating of the guests. The groom had constructed a little shelter and the bride had covered it with flowers. You know the drill...bridesmaids, groomsmen, maid of honor leading gray arabian horse, best man leading bay horse...when it came time for the rings the maid of honor untied the ring from the brides horses mane...same for the groom and his horse It was a very touching thing to see. And to have been part of it.
And I have to say- that is one lucky little arabian horse.

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com

http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  07:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LaVonna- That is wonderful! Oh my gosh! That is what I want for my horse and Nora- that same sort of bond.

I was out with Nora and Tala yesterday and Nora stumbled and fell in the arena and normally she doesn't cry when she falls, but she did this time. I picked her up right away and Tala went right up to her and kept gently nuzzling her almost like a mother does with a foal. It was so cute and sweet. Nora is once month older than Tala so she and I will have a long lifetime with Tala.

Just to clarify- I don't have anything against people owning ponies- I just feel that if you own a horse that can't be ridden after someone grows to big for it- I hope it has another job to do- like pulling a light cart, or maybe being a pack pony. I think it is so sad when people turn out the horse and just because it isn't the riding horse anymore it never gets brushed or one-on-one time with a human friend.

LaVonna- One of the reasons I love Arabians is because they are smaller on average than most horses. I am very short- only 5 foot tall, so having a horse that is a bit narrower of girth and shorter of limb is easier for me to ride than a big horse. Nora will probably be taller than me, but I bet she ends up riding Arabs as well! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  11:18:18 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to add to this thread that we (my brother) have Galleceno horses and there is an association here for that breed. Some years back one member had many horses and his land was in a location that just kept missing rain so he did not have grass. someone called animal control and reported him for abuse. He really was not abusing just in a very hard place. But the officer scared him that he might lose his herd so he called other members and most everyone took in another horse or two for a season. We had 5 at our place. When the spring rains came he came and got them.

Do you think the Arabian community wouldn't do the same thing? The guy should have thought of that. But I put this out for anyone who might be having trouble. I think a lot of people would take in one extra horse. You could barter for something for it. something...

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com

http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  11:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LaVonna- Members of the Straight Egyptian Arabian community have been trying for over a year to have Mr. Key sell some of his horses and/or relocate them. We think he might be suffering from some mental illness along the lines of hoarding. He has some AMAZING bloodlines, but was charging astronomical prices for the ones he put up for sale, so they didn't sell. And he was seeing the horses how he wanted to see them (happy, healthy and good weight) not how they actually were. Unfortunatly you have to have help like with the seizure to help people who can't or won't see how things are. If they don't want or see the need for help, we have to sit back and wait- biting our nails and trying to keep authorities informed. Lots of homes have been offered for Mr. Key's horses with proper purchase/adoption fees attached. I know many people who are hoping to help rehome some of the horses and help rehabilitate them. It sounds like everyone is in a holding patter until the full extent of the damage is assessed and the intial court date is held, though. Lots of donations both feed and monetary has come in from the SEA community to help in the interim. I know that within 12 hours of the sezuire there were trucks of feed headed towards the SPCA to help with the cost. Liz Salmon and others have been working hard to help in many ways.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  09:01:15 AM  Show Profile
http://www.spca-sofla.org/rescue%208-8-09/rescue%208-19-2009.htm

Don't look if it will break your heart. Helps me see things a bit differently. Of course shelters need owners to take in animals that are ready for a home that is ready to care for them. Because new rescues are in terrible need, and who has room for them all? So terrible!

These are Paso Finos...my favorite breed. And a person who was breeding them. Tragic! I can't responsibly take another horse at this point, but I can sure make a donation so they can keep feeding and caring for the ones they have taken in. I'm thankful for my geldings, and though I was sad my aunt stopped breeding Paso Finos after I bought my dear, with so many being produced, it is no wonder she has decided to change her focus. She now buys/trains/sells those PF who need her.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  07:16:02 AM  Show Profile
I see ads on craigslist all the time offering horses for free or for a very low price based on what they claim is the horse's ability/training. Many seemingly well trained/ well behaved horses are offered for around $400-500. Some are even registered. It is so tempting to adopt these horses, but I know that right now our finances only allow for the animals we have now. So I have to curb my desire for more horses, and think instead on the impact having another animal will be. Many people only look at the fact that a horse is free, or cheap, and don't think about the ongoing cost associated. You have worming, annual shots, farrier, feed and hay, and of course time. Making sure your horses are blanketed properly on cold winter nights may not seem like such a daunting task while the warm sun is still shining in summer, but those first few cold December evenings you have to truck out to the barn might change your mind. People think too rashly. Impulse purchases are things like cookies or gum at the checkout, not living beings. You wouldn't just go to the Children's home and pick up a kid without spending a lot of time and prayer about whether or not your family is ready for that commitment. If more people more equate adopting a pet on the same level as a child, then perhaps there won't be so many unwanted, unloved horses out there. Just my 2 cents :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  07:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jen- yes I agree! More thought and consideration DOES need to go into pet ownership. Whether it be a large pet or a small pet, they all have needs that can get expensive.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:43:29 AM  Show Profile
There is no such thing as a free horse.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Beth- Now isn't that the truth! I am getting ready to write a check for my monthly board and farrier where Tala is boarded. I am lucky that she has a great place and it's only $265 a month. She is doing great there, but $265 doesn't cover any vet emergencies, dewormer, or quarterly shots.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  08:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I board both of mine at a really great place but the board is expensive. And like you say that doesn't cover anything but the stall and the pasture turnout. There are still vet bill, feed, hay (which is very expensive with the drought) wormer etc.etc.etc. I just don't understand why people think you can get a horse and leave it in a pasture with a pond and think it is all they need.
Has anyone on the group ever used diotomasious earth on their animals. It is suppose to be a very natural way to control pests both inside and out.
We are trying it. My daughter is a rescuer too and she has been using it for flea, mite and tick control. The tiny animals don't do well with pesticides they tend to get really sick if you use normal flea control. etc.
I just wondered if anyone here had tried it.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Another sign of a bad economy- Poor horses Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page