kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  5:46:16 PM  Show Profile
I am not going back in there ever again! It was 2 feet from me the whole time I was milking all 7 goats, too. 2 feet from me! I am still shook up. I had just finished milking them all and was reaching up under the shelf to pick up the foot trimers that had fallen down the other day. I had to move a feed sack and there it was, plain as day. Then it was like less than a foot from me. I screamed sl loud and ran out as fast as I could. My SIL had just gotten home so he went in and can't find it anywhere. Poor Sadie Mae Belle still on the stanchion, too. He was in there 20 minutes looking all over. Couldn't find it. It's still in there, I know it.

So I had Jeff drag all 3 stanchions out on the driveway and that's where I'll be milking from now on. The feed barrel's out there, too. Now I just need to figure out how to get the refrigerator out there. Because I can't go in there anymore.

This morning when I went in to get started milking I thought I saw a little mouse tail going up under the fridge. I bet it was a snake tail now. In there the whole day and still in there now. Not dead, but alive as I am. I hate snakes!! Why does there have to be snakes in this world anyway? Shoot! And I can't even imagine me being in there and that snake was less than 2 feet from my feet. The whole dad blame time. Now I'll dream about snakes. Oh, I hate snakes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  6:13:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry , but it probally was a mouse tail, and now that snake is in there to get that mouse, and one mouse turns into hundreds of mice real quick, and then they contaminte everything they touch ( they pee and poop on everything), carry all sorts of nasty diseases and such, ewwwwwwwwww. I would want that snake in there doing his job, and once the mouse is gone, so is the snake.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  6:23:47 PM  Show Profile
It's the poisonous ones that scare me. My husband doesn't really like any of them, but he is ok with the ones that eats the rodents as long as they don't sneak up on him. I have shot some chicken snakes that wouldn't stay out of my eggs. I am mostly afraid of rattlesnakes. I really do watch carefully what I do around here though.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  6:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, I always said a good snake is a dead snake. I would much rather have the mice and rats, thank you. I can't even look at pictures of snakes.

I just called my husband and told him we have to move from here to town in a condo or something. This is the third snake in 2 months. That's enuf for this old girl. He said he doesn't think there's a condo around that would take 14 goats, 2 cows, lots of worthless chickens and guineas, 2 Rat terriers and a Lab and 6 worthless cats! I said there has to be one somewhere.

But really. I think I'd like to move to Ireland now. I have always heard there are no snakes there at all. That's my kind of place. I am ready to go now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Kris, you are too funny.
Go to Top of Page

Khaki
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kathleen
Whiteclay Nebraska
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  6:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi I am new to this whole chat room stuff, and to MaryJane's Farm also but love it a bunch. Just wanted to comment about the snake, no thanks, Kris, i am with you a good snake is a dead snake. I know they eat the rodents and all but couldn't they do it like maybe only on Monday's and I would stay inside all that day? I had to feed my boss' dogs this morning and as i was scuffing my way back across his wonderfully manicured lawn I kicked a stick with my foot, and then seconds later realized that he doesn't have sticks on his lawn, and looked down and I had kicked a garter snake, which don't really frighten me, but wish they wore little bells or something. khaki
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  7:07:09 PM  Show Profile
I think I would have wet my pants for sure..I am not a fan of snakes either. Luckily I haven't seen a single snake since we moved here. I LOVE that! We had king snakes and garter snakes where we used to live. I know they have a purpose (the mouse thing) but I agree..ick. I am too stubborn to give up my barn though!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  7:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kathleen. Welcome. I am glad someone else agrees with me. I hate them. There had been a stick in the milkroom for a few days that I kept thinking looked an awful lot like a snake. I did finally kick it out. And it was not a snake. I would have run screaming from even a garter snake, too.

I am so glad my SIL was home or poor Sadie Mae Belle would still be in the milk room in the stanchion. Poor thing. I don't know what's going on with these snakes. It could be because we live in the middle of hay fields that were never mowed. And it's also so dry and hasn't rained in forever. And it's hot.

I'm with you on the bells, too. Some little warning here, please.

Oh, have you been over to the welcome thread yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  7:15:43 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, we must have written at the same time. Maybe we should move to Utah then. You sure there aren't any snakes there? Or you just haven't seen them. I feel like there are snakes all over the place now. Everywhere I look I see one. Or what looks like one.

I know I jumped a few feet in the air. I was all bent over when I saw it, too. That makes it a little harder to do but it can be done.

I just don't know what I will do about going back in there. LAst year when I saw the snake skin laying across the 10' chicken nester it took me a few months to go back out there. I just don't think I can go in there knowing it's out there.

I think I need therapy or hypnosis or something. DOn't they have psychologists for this sort of thing?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  7:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Til i found this great place to come chat, I never knew of any farm/ranch girls that were afraid of snakes, a few men, but never women. I really am not making fun of anyone, but I just don't understand the fear thing. I don't like rattlesnakes either, and I will kill any found on the property and burn them, but without snakes we would be so over run with rodents, and those rodents would destroy our crops, flowers, contaminate our food, and spredd fleas and ticks along with diseases. I would much rather live with a snake ot two than mice and rats. Sorry, but i would probally laugh at you all jumping around over a harmless reptile.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  7:34:50 PM  Show Profile
I think there are snakes in the woods, or the mountains..in the desert for sure..but we are sort of in between it all maybe? I hope. I don't know if hypnosis could help me with snakes. I don't get how anyone could be friendly with a snake. My good friend in Alabama is always telling me about killing big old poisonous snakes on her place..I am afraid I would just have heart failure after the first one.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  7:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Kristen, I am so sorry to hear about the whole snake experience! I would have jumped too! I am not particularly crazy about snakes either, but I have to say that I will absolutely take king snakes any day because we do have rattle snakes around here and I have heard that king snakes eat the rattlers!

Sharlet, We have had 2 rattlesnakes in the yard this summer and those things absolutely freak me out!

Kathleen, First off WELCOME!!!!! I love the idea of them only coming out on Mondays!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  8:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, I have always been deathly afraid of snakes. Probably more terrified of them. I can almost feel them before I see them. And that's all it takes for me. I just know it's a snake and I am outta there. Fast! I think it must of came from my mom becacause she's even worse. My step dad has to tear pictures out of the paper or magazines before she gets ahold of them. It is a terror thing for me, though. Pure terror. Just thinking about them makes my skin crawl. And they can climb, too. There was one last year that climbed all the way up into the apple tree. It was awful. That's just me. I am what I am and that's scared of snakes. I am not scared of mice and rats at all. Or spiders. Just snakes. I see no good in them at all. My cats drag up rats and other vermin all the time but they have never killed a snake.

Jenny, Alabama is just right over the mountain from me. I know there are rattle snakes close by here. My friend up the road killed one a few years ago.

Monica, it could have been a king snake in the chicken yard a few months ago. It was really long and moved very slow. It was dark. And long. I was chased by a black snake once while I was mowing near a barn and that thing was fast. I was on a riding mower and it was all I could not to jump off and run.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  8:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, please forgive me, I do not mean to be mean /cruel, I did not realize that you have a phobia about snakes, and my D-in-Law just ripped me a new one about.It is all new to me, and I guess I am lucky that I don't have to worry about it, especially since where I live there are tons of them. Again, I am very sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  8:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Kris! I am so sorry that your milking room has become "contaminated"! Maybe burning some white sage will chase the snakey vibes away and I hear they don't like moth balls.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  9:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have heard that moth balls repels them. I heard this from a plumber that goes under houses.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  9:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Kristin:
My husband hates snakes, too!!!!!!! I'm the snake killer around here, LOL!!!!! That would have scared the crap out of me. Like Alee mentioned, my husband puts moth balls all over his workshop. Once he thought there was a snake in the attic of the house. That man put so many moth balls we had to sleep at my sisters house for the night. Hope the snake leaves your place for good.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  07:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Teresa, I am ok with it. I know I shouldn't be such a wimp, but I just am. I wish I could get over this fear. I know it's not good to have such fear and that I should have more faith that God will take care of me and all that. But still, it's there and probably always will be. I will just always hate snakes, good or bad. So don't worry about anything. I know it's just strange for anyone living in the country on a farm to be this way.

Alee, my hubby said the same thing. I will go and buy the store out of all the mothballs I can find. And get rid of a bunch od no good worthless cats and dogs wile I'm at it!

Marly, I'll have so many mothballs in the milk room that when I ever go back in there to milk, the nilk will taste like a big moth ball in a glass!

Thanks ya'll, for all the help. I had to go back in to get the worm medicine this morning because I didn't get the doe kid last night. I had to get Kansas to go in with me. And of course it's way in the back. I had my tall boots on and hit the walls and floor and hollered loud for 10 minutes before we went in. Never saw any sign of it. But Kansas went in with me and I was ok. She kept saying it'll be ok, Mimi. What a good little farmgirl she is to protect her big ole chicken Mimi. She got a book from the library about snakes so she could see what good snakes and bad snakes look like for me.

It sure is cooler to milk outside anyway. It's hot in that room. But the flies bug me too much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  07:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Alee, where do I get white sage?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you gals, snakes terrify me - I don't care if they're poisonous or not, six inches or ten feet, I just can't cohabit with snakes! We have had our place in Montana for about 15 years and I still have not seen a snake over there - our neighbors saw a lot last year. I told my dh the first time I see a snake, I don't care if it's a rattlesnake or a bull snake, I'm done - never going back. I totally know how you feel Kristin!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

marthaellen
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Martha
Normangee Texas
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  09:19:35 AM  Show Profile
You know the sticky boards people put down in mouse and rat runs to catch them? I'm pretty sure there is also one stronger for bigger snakes. (Be sure to get someone to take it far away from your milk parlour!) A little dish soap and some water and it'll be able to free itself without harm to anything but it's dignity. Call a pro exterminator, they'll be able to either sell you the board or tell you if it's feasable.
marthaellen
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  09:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Bad snake.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:20:16 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link that tells you how to use the sticky boards on large snakes.

http://msuextension.org/publications/OutdoorsEnvironmentandWildlife/MT199617AG.pdf

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Are there pictures of snakes on the link. Cuz if there is I can't look. But I get the idea. Maybe they'll stay put so someone can chop off their head! I like that idea! But does it stay where the snake can't just drag it along with it? It seems like it would just get it's first few inches onto the sticky part. Not the whole snake. Oh what a mess. I hope it's long gone and keeps going.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, if its a non-poisenous snake, PLEASE have someone re-locate it for you, if people continue to up-set the eco-system and kill off all the predators, we will be in a world of hurt

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  1:38:10 PM  Show Profile
I know. I would. I am not that heartless. I was kind of kidding.

My SIL and daughter just helped clean out the milk room. He got all the bags and trash and it's all burning. I would have taken them to recycle but none of that will enter my car. Not with a snake on the loose. Sorry. I hate to burn all that but maybe we got the snake. Anyway we got it all cleaned out and washed with the hose with soap and scrub brushes and brooms. Got the stanchions all cleaned up drying in the sun. He looked all under the fridge. Blew it out with the air compressor. We discovered a drain in the corner. It comes in handy when I need to hose it down in there.

So I think I can get all the stanchions back in and feel a little safer now that I can see what's in there. There was even piles of hay where mice could have been and the snake was just after them. So it's all gone and clean. I can't believe I am such a messy farmgirl. I will not be stockpiling feed sacks ever again or putting bales of hay in there. I think this ole gal has learned her lesson.

But I am so thankful for Jeff, my SIL. He is so handy to have around. He can fix anything and he's young and strong. He weed eats all over and he's going to refix the busted water pipe. It's still got a leak somewhere. I didn't think anything about a leak. I just thought it was neat that we had a little frog pond. What are all the frogs going to do now?

SO I am a happy milker again. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I will get the moth balls tomorrow while I'm out in town. I'm making cheese while we do all this. It's resting now for an hour. So am I.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Snake In The Milk Room... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page