Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oh dang...help... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  7:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, it happened...Chloe snapped at Charlie and didn't break skin too bad but did scratch and leave a mark. I am so done with this dog!! She has bit me before but I swore to Scott if she EVER EVER EVER EVER snapped or bit at Charlie or a child, she was done. Of course, this happens when Scott is out in the field for 9 days without a cell phone. I have Chloe outside right now, it is cool enough but not too cold. I am so angry right now...

Heather

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  7:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I am so sorry. Is Charlie ok? I would just keep her outside away from him til your hubby gets back. How old is she?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  7:26:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sad to hear this. If it were me the dog would have to go or be penned up away from the area that children can be in. I just couldn't live with myself if I had a child injured from an animal that had already been a threat. Hope you come to a resolution that all of you can live with.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  7:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
She will be 9 this fall. I think all this moving and what not has finally worn on her. She has been acting strange the past few days. I can't pen an animal all day...it is not fair...nor can I live with the constant strain of thinking she might bite again. I will leave her outside until Scott gets home. Charlie is way more important than any animal to me.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  7:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Your are probably right about the moving getting to her, but her age might make her a little more irritable with little ones too. Its a hard decision for sure on what to do. She would probably be fine without little ones around. Do you know anyone that would be willing to take her?
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  7:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We just moved...don't know a soul...blah...I hate this...Scott insists she is fine but that makes me feel like a liar and I hate that...I am sorry, I have always loved my animals and would do anything for them but now that I am a Mom, I have to make serious delineations in how far I am willing to go, now that I have a child.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:07:55 PM  Show Profile
I understand. I am a mom and a nanna and I love my animals too, but the kids come first. I hear the horror stories where dogs attact children and I just couldn't get a minutes rest if I was worried about it. Put her outside for now and sleep on it. Keep Charlie away and wait for Scott is probably all you can do for now.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Heather, So sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with Chloe! I will say a prayer it all works out for you!(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:14:16 PM  Show Profile
It the dog has been acting strange for several days, it might mean she is ill or is hurt/hurting . I would make sure that is isn't a medical problem first, it could of happened and you didn't know because of the hectic nature of moving. Take her to a vet, and have her completly checked out.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Heather did you see it happen? Did she get hurt in any way that could of caused her to snap at him. Not that that makes it ok, I don't mean that, it might just be a reason as to why it happened. She has never done this before has she? Also could she possibly be ill? You said that she hasn't been herself for the last few days. It just seems odd that she would bite after never bothering him before you know?

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:55:18 PM  Show Profile
She may be getting arthritis or have a sore spot. I would take her to a good vet and get her completely looked over...I DO feel that you are acting as a good mom first, which is only the right thing to do, but Chloe might be sick or hurting too

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  01:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I saw it happen. She was laying behind the couch and Charlie walked by and went to pat her on her head, like he normally does. Then next thing I heard was a snap of her teeth and Charlie screaming and holding his arm. I will try to find a vet and have her looked at next week. ARRGHHH!! This is so frustrating.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  05:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't want to sound harsh, but Cloe is HUGE compared to Charlie. My sister had a dog that was about her size and at about her age she snapped at my sister once, and she thought that she had done something wrong, startled him etc. And then I can't remember if he snapped at one of her girls, but I do know that in the end he actually bit my sister. She wasn't hurt but it was obvious that it wasn't a one time thing. So they had him humanely euthanized.

Heather- you said she has snapped at you before. Was this before your latest move? Because if it was, then the move might have made the situation worse, but there is a predisposition to it since she has already done it.

I would never ever let her be by Charlie again. Maybe just long enough, and making sure she is awake, alert, and in a good mood- for Charlie to tell her goodbye. I know he is old enough to understand things going away.

I love my animals but when it comes to biting- we have a no tolerance rule when it comes to kids. Growing up we had a dog that lunged at a neighbor kid, didn't do any damage but scared the pants off us. She got to live, but we kept all kids far away from her. We just didn't trust her anymore. Kids are just way to quick, don't realize how much they can hurt animals when they are just playing/exploring.

I know you will make the best decision. My heart goes out to you. This is a hard position to be in! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  06:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Chloe has Charlie by 25lbs and a lot of muscle, quickness and sharp teeth. I am right there with you, snap at a kid and it's over, no matter how devoted or loving the animal has been. I had a cat like that, who at 10, turned into the devil and I had to put him down. I have lived in the country with strays and drop offs and once they bite, it was over. The problem is Chloe is Scott's, from before me. BUT I will not compromise when it comes to Charlie. Period.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  3:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Have the vet check Chloe for any thyroid problems, which can make a dog become aggressive. I hope it all works out for the best.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:51:03 AM  Show Profile
I agree-have her checked by the vet-at least you will know if it is a medical problem.

Good luck to all of you.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  7:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Here's another point of view - if Chloe was not socialized around children (or someone taking her things - toys & food) during the first year of her life, she may not tolerate small children very well. I firmly believe that most small children do not mean to do things that would tick a dog off and cause them to snap. But small children do things that an unsocialized dog may not understand and then you have the snap. Once they snap - you're right, it's a big warning zone. The best way to handle this situation is to separate them for the time being. Your child is the most important thing. Chloe will need some serious training for sure and this is a good time to teach Charlie how to act and not act around dogs (if he's old enough to understand - that is). You're a good momma - keep it up!

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  07:02:59 AM  Show Profile
That is scary, but you must keep Charlie safe.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oh dang...help... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page