Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 what is your favorite garden plant?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic what is your favorite garden plant? Next Topic
Page: of 2

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  9:01:04 PM  Show Profile
as you amble through your own garden, what is your favorite plant and why? can be a fruit, veggie, plant, or flower.

mine is definately my pumpkins! first of all, i LOVE autumn... it just fills me with so much joy. so my pumpkins are a symbol of my favorite season. i also love the little vines that grow from them and grab onto whatever they can find (i don't know the official name for these vines). i especially love it when they grab onto weeds to help them along... it reminds me of little arms! and of course i love the feeling i get when they start producing pumpkins... last year i sat outside at the end of summer, early in the morning while the sun was rising drinking my coffee. i enjoyed the cool air, knowing the rest of the day would be hot, but at that moment i could enjoy the first bite of fall. the moment was so great, i went and took pictures of my pumpkin patch with the rising sun behind it.

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:09:49 PM  Show Profile
I like them all!!! I think this year I'm partial to my heirloom tomatoes. I started 5 different varieties and babied them first in my basement and then on our lower deck to harden them off. We had an unexpected frost about a week after I moved them to the upper deck and in the morning they were all wilty and oh so sad looking! I read that tomatoes can bounce back, but that it took time and I shouldn't get impatient and trim the dead leaves until they were dried and new leaves were starting. I've been sweet-talking them and encouraging them like I would little critters. However, I am happy to report that EVERY ONE OF THEM recovered and I even have blossoms on most of them now!

I also have to say that nasturtiums are one of my favorites because they remind me of my Dad. When I was in the 2nd grade, he sent me a package of nasturtiums to plant...it was my first introduction to planting things, and they're edible!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:26:55 PM  Show Profile
I love Sweet Peas! If I had to only plant one flower it would be that. With my move this June, I didn't get to plant any. My mom was sweet enough to plant me a small pot of them so that once I move I would have some here. I have enjoyed small bouquets by my bedside. I love their color and form, but mostly their fragrance!

If it were a vegetable, I think it would have to be tomatoes. There is nothing better, than eating a sun warmed tomato off the vines. Makes my mouth water, I can't wait.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Gosh..that is a hard one..I would have to say tomatoes. I can't imagine a garden without them..or an August without tomatoes and cottage cheese at least 2 meals a day..so tomatoes..but I sure hope I never have to ONLY grow one thing. I Am awfully attached to rosemary and Johnny Jump ups too. And any sort of greens, and gosh......

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  04:26:33 AM  Show Profile
Roses, Hydrangea, Lavender.

Love all plants but these 3 are the TOP for me.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  04:42:19 AM  Show Profile
I think I have to agree with Elizabeth on this one, I love my pumpkin and squash plants! I also love Fall and and all the beautiful shapes and colors the pumpkins come in. I really like the huge leaves and vines on the plants and how they spread everywhere and make my garden look full and lush. And finding the pumpkins and squash under the leaves is kinda like a treasure hunt. I always find a few hiding out that I didn't see earlier.

My runner-up would have to be my sunflowers. I have planted so many varieties this year throughout my garden, I am so excited for them to bloom! I have a couple plants that at have blooms open, but the majority are still growing. The mammoths are so much fun, and all of them add some much needed color to my garden in late summer. For some reason, my husband claims to hate sunflowers and threatens to mow them down, but I think deep down he likes them just as much as me. Maybe he just hasn't realized it yet!
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  04:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Flowering plants? PANSIES PANSIES PANSIES!! Closely followed by hydrangeas and lavender! For the cook in me, tomatoes and basil! Although greek oregano in a salad with feta cheese, fresh tomatoes and a good viniagrette is one lusty herb to chow down on!!

I'm with Aunt Jenny; I hope I NEVER have the limitation, or must choose only one thing to grow!! Horticultural hugs to all, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  05:34:09 AM  Show Profile
Can't pick just one. But I can't live without my herb garden right out my door. I can't cook without it. It is so fun now looking for something new I don't have already. How MANY mints are there?? LOL
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  07:09:28 AM  Show Profile
Melody June,I have apple mint, chocolate mint, lime mint, orange mint, spearmint, peppermint, ginger mint, and wild mint....I just love how they smell when I walk by/through and pluck a few leaves here and there. How many mints do you have?

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  07:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Man...this is too hard. I have soooo many flowers, and soooo many vege garden plants that I just can't pick. I love each one for its own properties...

For each growing season, maybe? Early Spring, I love pansies and Viola's. They have such beautiful little faces. So expressive, and such deep, velvety colors! Early spring also brings my favorite vege, English Peas. Gorgeous green color, perfect white flower.

Summer is when things start kicking in my garden, and when all the butterflies and their larvae come...all the daylilies, the "Black Knight" butterfly bush...but I love, love my calla lilies. They are the prettiest shade of fuschia with a green center. And, then there is the Jupiters Beard, red milkweed and orange butterfly weed. Oh gosh! It's just way to hard to pick!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  08:33:15 AM  Show Profile
If I were to pick just one flower, it would be the "rose", the yellow rose. If I were to pick just one fruit, it would be a big juicy ripe, right off the tree, sun warmed "peach". If I were to pick just one veggy, it would be the "tomatoe", any kind and size, juicy ripe just off the vine.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  08:58:55 AM  Show Profile
I would have to say...Peonies! I just love the old fashioned look they add to the garden, plus they remind me of childhood. When I was a little girl, we lived in a house that had a huge veggie garden in one corner of the property. It was completely surrounded by a peony border. The smell was absolutely heavenly! My swing set, sandbox and playhouse were right next to the garden, so I could enjoy the fragrance all day long.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:45:15 AM  Show Profile
I love all my plants! But if I had to choose, I'd have to say my tomato plants. I love how huge they've gotten and all the tomatos I'm getting from them, but the thing I love about them the most is the way they smell. Yes, I am weird. But if you take a leaf from a tomatoe plant and crush it in your hands, it is the most wonderful smell in the world! Sometimes I go to the garden and just brush my hands through the vines so I can get the scent on my hands.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:48:01 AM  Show Profile
I agree Sarah..I have always LOVED the smell of tomato plants.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh Thank You Jenny!!! That really does make me feel like less of an odd ball. :) I love this forum, it makes me realize I am NOT crazy (no matter what my DH says).

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:55:25 AM  Show Profile
tomato plants DO smell heavanly!

I would never limit your garden to just one plant... i guess i just wanted to know what in your garden inspires you the most, gives you a little tinge of excitement as you visit your garden. what do you look foward to seeing in the garden?

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, you need to go to Vetiver's site and buy yourself the "tomato" perfume, so you can smell that way all year long!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I L-O-V-E my acorn squash plants this year. The little buggers are everywhere and so ca-ute! Plus the pretty yellow blossoms just seem to add something to that corner of the garden.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the smell of tomato plants, reminds me of my childhood, and sitting on Grandmas stool while she picked ripe tomatos, she put me on the stool to keep me safe from the black snake who lived in her garden, he was harmless, but it was the only way my mom would let me sit there, lol. I just love the memories this farmgirl connection brings up everyday when I come here to read and post.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:23:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonni! I will check that out. I used to be able to get a soy candle that was tomato leaf scented, but haven't been able to find any for quite a while.

Elizabeth - It's really hard to nail down what gives me the most excitement. It's just so much fun to go to the garden in the first place. But I loved digging up the potatoes and seeing how many my plants produced. I've got my eye on one big Beefsteak tomatoe that is just about ready to be picked. I get excited wondering how much my pumpkin plants have grown and how many cucumbers have ripened "overnight". Gardening is such a wonderful thing, there is always something to look forward to!

Go to Top of Page

mspence
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Misty
Warrensburg MO
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:29:29 AM  Show Profile
I love my ballon flowers. I love the way they just pop open all of a sudden, and I love the color. I also love that I just planted them and I dont have to bother with them at all. They also remind me of my grandmother, she always had a bunch of ballon flowers growing. Good memories!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:43:07 AM  Show Profile
I have a 9 ft Harry Lauder Walking stick between the back porch and the water garden. Everyone that knows what it is, says it is the biggest one they have ever seen. And they are soooooo expensive. Its crocked limbs hang out over the water garden and the rocks that surrounds the pond. Really pretty. My next favorite is my herb garden and all the herbs. I have a huge area around the flag pole that is a mass of echinica (purple cone flower). It is my favorite when they are in full bloom. Now that the blooms are pretty well spent the yellow fenches have moved in. it looks like yellow flowers. In the vegetable gardens, I can't decide between Greenbeans, Tomatoes, hot peppers, bell peppers, garlic, onions and summer squash. I have 3 flower gardens that are real eye sores. I guess that should be a different topic.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  4:11:13 PM  Show Profile
I had a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick in front of my kitchen windows for years, but it died after a really cold winter a couple of years ago. Nine feet tall, wow, that is so incredible. Please post a picture. I just think they are such amazing plants. I love my herb garden, my flowers and unfortunately this year my veggies are not doing well. Too much rain...Gardens are the best.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  4:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Zinnias are my very favorite flower.

Then tomatoes would be my favorite fruit-veggie.

Boxwood is my favorite bush-shrub.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  6:17:55 PM  Show Profile
I love to plant elephant ears all over the front yard and back yard. I also love roses, caladiums.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  3:14:23 PM  Show Profile
I just love my purple coneflowers and watching the bumblebees gather nectar from them. They just look so happy and carefree.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic what is your favorite garden plant? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page