Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Deer Repellent Next Topic  

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13635 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13635 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  06:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We have deer problems in our neck of the woods . . they tear up trees and eat our gardens.
DOG HAIR seems to be a successful repellent for our garden. My sweet dog needs brushed out occasionally and she really doesn't mind sharing. So, I put tufts of her hair on the pepper and tomato plants (that seems to be what the deer like most). I have a neighbor who has put it around the perimeter of her garden.
Seems to work . . of course, it has to be replenished as the dog scent will dissipate with time.
CJ

from the barefoot farmgirl

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  09:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Urine works too. It's not as easy as dog hair seeing as you'd be peeing out in the open by your garden! lol...but it does work! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  10:03:41 AM  Show Profile
We call them cloven-hooved-rat-bas@*%s around here. They actually climb 3 steps onto our lower deck to get to things! I have all my heirloom tomatoes on the upper deck this year. I figure if they climb an entire flight of stairs, I'm going to shoot them for breaking and entering!!!! We've tried soooo many things, and all of them have worked...for awhile. The only sure-fire thing is a 10 foot fence around the garden area. Not pretty, but they haven't gotten into the veggies since!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  3:26:23 PM  Show Profile
Collect all the no longer used CDs and DVDs, glue the labeled sides together, drill small hole at top, hang all around your gardens, trees etc, the prizm reflections from the sun, or at night from your yard lights, scares the you know what out of deer, coons, possums, some dogs and some cats, it works also for veggy/fruit eating birds, and you are recycling at the same time.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Deer Repellent Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page