Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 ? for those who have grown pumpkins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic ? for those who have grown pumpkins Next Topic  

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  4:45:42 PM  Show Profile
I have about 6 already orange pumpkins on my vines!!! They are quite large. I dont want them to rot but it seems to early to pick them! How long can they stay on the vines?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  7:33:13 PM  Show Profile
until the vines die. I end up picking mine sooner, though, since we have a real grasshopper problem some years. I don't have any bigger than a golf ball on our pumpkin vines yet..lots of high hopes though.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  9:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Yep, just leave them until the vines die. If you are worried about the part on the ground you could turn them occasionally. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:36:50 AM  Show Profile
i've read you can leave pumpkins on the vine for as long as it starts to frost... they don't go bad if you leave them on the vine. i think they last a long time even if you pick them and leave them somewhere fairly cool.... i picked quite a few last year and they lasted months before i got to them to cook them down.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  09:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Hope you don't mind if I tag another pumpkin question on here. :) What would cause a baby pumpkin to spontaneously pop itself off the vine? I wonder what I'm doing wrong/why it didn't stay on to mature? I still have others, but are they going to do the same thing? These are maybe small ping-pong sized and yellow. Leaves look healthy. Plants growing like crazy now.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:11:47 PM  Show Profile
No prob michelle! I am new to pumpkins this year and all of my vines made a little pumpkin that quickly rotted and fell off the vine. After that first one the rest have grown perfectly! I dont know if that is "normal" but thats what happened to me.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic ? for those who have grown pumpkins Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page