Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Help Me Quit the Bad Habit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help Me Quit the Bad Habit Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  1:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Sending positive vibes to all of you brave girls!! You CAN do it!!I know it is HARD, maybe the hardest thing you have ever done!! Hang in there!!

I just recently, after a life long addiction, gave up drinking diet pop! So although it is a different drug, it is the same...an addiction, and I do know how you feel at least a little bit!

I'll tell you though, if you could spend a day with my Mom you would quit smoking and never look back!!She has emphysema SO bad, she literally cannot walk from the living room couch to the kitchen couter (maybe 15 feet) without breathing like a race horse and coughing. It is so painful to watch !!It just stings to my soul as her child. She is only 69 but looks 90 and her body is so aged beyond anything nature brought.Please do not do this to your kids. Smoking has robbed her (and me) of having any kind of fun in her retirement years.She can't go anywhere, do anything.It is heartbreaking.

Please keep trying and give yourselves a happy, healthy many, many years to come!!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  3:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Diane -- you are so sweet! Thanks for sharing your words of encouragement. That is so sad about your mother and one of the reasons I have to quit. I don't want to look older than I already am and I want to be healthy.

I just want to say something -- and this is for my own benefit too -- if you are quitting and have a relapse please don't hide from this place! It is nothing to be ashamed of. We live with enough guilt in our lives without heaping more on ourselves. I have quit 5 times and relapsed 5 times. I am going to give this 6th time my best effort and hopefully it will be my last! But if I slip I will come running back here to get encouragement from my friends and will try again!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  3:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Ok Kay, do we start on my 6th March, which is a day before yours, or your 6th March, which means I start on the 7th?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  8:40:52 PM  Show Profile
We start on my March 6th -- I see your reasoning here!! You're just trying to squeak out another day! LOL!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  8:57:55 PM  Show Profile
It's so important when we are trying to change behaviors and other patterns to not get discouraged by "relapses." I once heard them compared to walking up a trail - if you fall, you don't just lie there, you get up, and either walk on down the trail to your destination or turn back and take a different road. You only really "fail" if you just stay there lying down...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  9:37:59 PM  Show Profile
I am so proud of you guys. I have never smoked but most all my family I grew up in do or have. My dad ruined his health with smoking and died at 65. He had such bad breathing problems..and quit, but too late. My Grandpa died of emphysema at 80. My mom, seeing all that (the grandpa was HER dad) still smokes more than a pack a day. I worry about her. My brother and sister both smoke. I think it does take so much guts and will power to quit..but it will be so worth it.
You can do it!!!!!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Hey ladies sorry I have been away but work has been rough and my home life is soooo busy. With that said I have been pretty good so far. I used to smoke a pack a day and since last Monday I have had 5 cigarettes so I guess that is successful for me. I am so impressed with all of you for joining in and working together on this. Whenever I am bored and craving a smoke I try and find something to keep me busy like planning how I will plant my garden, going through seed catalogs or working on my dolly. I also try and spend a little more time with my kids just playing. Looking into their faces and seeing their future unfold is justy another good reminder to me that quitting is the right thing to do. Once again thanks for all the kind words and support you are all truely the best

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  6:33:59 PM  Show Profile
lol, you guessed it kay!! :() Your 6th works for me. Is anyone else joining us?
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  6:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
ok ladies things ar going well. I figure in the last week and a half i have only smoked 1 pack. so my goal is to be completely off by the 6th so i can go with all the ladies here. you guys are great. keep working hard and everyone check in before so we can be in touch
blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  6:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Beth - you are doing great!! kEEP IT UP! I am trying to get up the courage to quit on the 6th.

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  7:31:11 PM  Show Profile
Beth, I'm glad you posted because I couldn't remember your username exactly (got the numbers messed up). I've been wanting to email you. When I responded to your email, I deleted your message but had forgotten to add you to my address book! Anyway, I've been thinking of you. You're doing really well so far -- hang in there!

Btw, if you could send me your real mail address, I'd really appreciate it. I have something to send your way next time I'm at the Post Office.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  12:57:26 PM  Show Profile
I haven't noticed any posting on this thread for a while? How are you all doing? This is such a courageous endeavor to start - I'm sending all of my good luck, love and stick-to-it-iveness!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  3:23:33 PM  Show Profile
I am hanging my head in shame................... just didnt start not smoking on the 6th. Was hoping no one would notice and this posting would stay low. :) My courageous endeavor, was admitting this.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  07:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Good days and bad days but I am still trying. My mom moved here from NY and is suffering from dementia. It has been very hard to deal with. Many hours spent with her Pastor and social services, though she still thinks she is fine. Plus, last Thursday my cat was hit by a car. Then this morning none of my cars would start. Quite a test of my own fortitude wouldn't you say. But I still go on. I have to. I hope all is well with all of my farm girl sisters!

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  09:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh Helen -- don't hang your head. I didn't quit either. Sometimes it takes a while to get there. As long as we try that is what is important. I'll set another date for very soon in the future. Just have some personal issues going on that I need to deal with first -- I know this sounds like a major cop out!

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  12:11:06 PM  Show Profile
Know the feeling Kay, with waiting to move to our farm, everything seems to be hanging in limbo, so hard to settle down to anything. Think I will leave my quitting, till we are settled in our own place.
I dont think personal issues are a cop out. We can only deal with so much at once. I think to give up would be easier if we are in a good space. IMHO
We have a quit line here and they asked if there was something I could substitute the ciggy for. I suggested a glass of wine, but they werent too hot on that idea. lol
Am going to try the nicotine gum, to see if that helps, the patches didnt. Have you tried the herb smokes? Not meaning dope, but apparently there are herb smokes avaible at health shops, but I havent been able to obtain any yet. No shops in our area seem to stock them. They are made of oil of cloves or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  1:21:15 PM  Show Profile
You are doing great Beth, I hope the sun is shining on you today. I am really sorry about your kitty. Let my know if you need any help, I'm just a short drive away. Keep going strong, Rose

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  1:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Rose. We got a new kitty. Hardest part was telling my kids. He was the best kitty we ever had. When my 4 yr old would cry, he would come running and start nuzzling him. We found him over Thanksgiving, freezing and starving to death. We gave him a home and loved him. Some things that happen are just sad.
I am just going to keep pluggin away at quitting. Some days are good some are not. But I refuse to give in and just keep smoking. So if today I smoked half of what I normally would then that is a victory. If I smoke half again tomorrow then that is even less. Just like one piece of cake does not a diet break.

blessings
beth

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Mar 16 2006 07:06:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  12:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Well honey I smoked from age 16 through age 46. I wanted to quit sooooooo bad. When I got pregnant I quit, only to start up again later. Then I quit again, and 3 months later started up again. I was having trouble breathing, some places on my face or other parts would get numb etc. etc. etc. I prayed and prayed for God to help me. Well, I got my answer.
I had to go for a hysterectomy and when it was done I was so tired for 3 days and I just took it from there. Had a lot of tootsie roll lollipops and gum and life savers. Of course, I turned into one of those nasty reformed smokers and was always after my husby to quit smoking. I said to him one night "well I'm going to pray you quit too and I hope God doesn't make you go in the hospital like I had to in order to quit." Well, three days later, my husband collapsed back on the couch and flopped around like a fish. He was in the hospital for 3 days and one doctor got physically in his face and said "you need to quit smoking. It will be the best investment you ever made in anything...yourself and your health."
I think my husby was scared enough and he quit! He, however, used lots and lots of gum (and still going) but he also used for 2 weeks the patch. They are a little pricey but they did the trick.
But don't wait till you are scared into it. Don't wait until it's too late. And now, get into the bathroom, look into the mirror and look at those lousy lines around your lips. Yuk! And they don't go away either! If you want them to keep getting deeper and deeper, just keep on puffing away. Everytime I see mine I could kick myself for smoking all those years!
Whenever you feel the urge to pick one up, take a few deep breaths, blow them out (about 3 deep ones) in place of those nasty yellow nicotine thangs and then get up and march around, jog, putter, do dishes...anything.
Now don't get scared, but I'll pray for you heh heh that you can get the strength to quit. And once you do, you'll be so proud of yourself! You can do it! We're with ya! And then you may get to see your grandchildren and even your great ones! God bless.

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh all!!! My intention was to check in and give inspiration and encouragement - not to have anyone embarassed or upset -- I have tried so very many times to quit a bad habit/addiction and I still struggle and relapse and every time, I just have to remember that it's not the falling down that gets you - it's the STAYING down. I just feel like I want so much for all of us to be able to do what we want to do and feel like we're supported in doing so.

Please know that I'm sending my very best healthy life "vibes" to ALL of us!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  2:18:16 PM  Show Profile
It's okay to boo-boo. Actually, it's not just okay, it's expected. Just like being on a diet. If you go off and have that one cupcake, you don't sit and think oh darn that's it. Just think ok, I had a boo-boo but I'm not giving up, I'm continuing on.

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Anne -- you didn't make anyone feel bad. We know you were just being kind and caring!

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  4:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  07:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Ladies, never think that I feel like I am being chastized. I am using this as a place to open up my heart and share what is inside. Maybe by saying it is hard and taking it day by day I will help someone else. You are all so incredibly supportive and I thank you. I am going to a pub tonight for a green beer and it's a NON SMOKING BAR!!!
hope you all have a wonderful day.

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  7:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Just a quick post to keep all of us in check. I am doing well. Ok so I am very sick with a bad cold and sore throat so it makes the choice to not smoke easier, but hey I'll take it! Plus having a money crunch so it's nice to save a little dough by not buying smokes. Hope everyone is well. Please check in and tell us how you are doing!

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help Me Quit the Bad Habit Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page