Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 I have a strange problem -- any ideas/suggestions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I have a strange problem -- any ideas/suggestions? Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  10:30:53 PM  Show Profile
I feel really silly posting about this because it's really so minor, but it's been going on so long that it's an almost-constant irritation, so I thought I'd ask you ladies what you think. I have had what feels like a muscle cramp in my right leg since October!

The strange thing is that it moves. Sometimes, anywhere from a day to a couple of days, it stays in one place, then it moves. It's always either down in my calf or up in my upper leg or up at the base of my "bottom" (sorry for the tmi). When I first wake up, there's no cramp, but after I'm up a little bit, it's right back. Flexing my foot, moving my leg around, etc. doesn't work -- nothing does as far as I can tell. It IS worse when I'm sitting or standing still.

I have never had leg cramps, not even during pregnancy, and other than stomach cramps, these are the first cramps I can ever remember having.

I know this sounds so wierd. Does anyone else have any experience with something like this or have any idea of what it is or how to treat it? Btw, I always wear "good" shoes -- clogs by Birkenstock or Haflinger, good tennis shoes with support, and that sort of thing. No heels at all.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  06:14:10 AM  Show Profile
IT COULD BE A BLOOD VESSEL PROBLEM, OR A PINCHED NERVE IN YOUR LOWER BACK. CHECK ON THE SITE, WEB MD, THEY ARE A GREAT SITE FOR MEDICAL INFO. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY HAVE IT CHECKED OUT TO MAKE SURE IT ISN'T AN ARTERY PROBLEM,BECAUSE BLOOD CLOTS CAN BE A DANGER.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile
patti dear .. my 'medical' advice: ALWAYS check with your doctor when something 'strange or different' happens to your body .. and especially if it 'lingers'. Every BODY is unique and what might be causing something to happen to one person .. may NOT be what is happening to someone else's body. And often it takes medical 'tests' to figure out what a problem really is so that it can be fixed.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  09:59:34 AM  Show Profile
Patti,

Do see your doctor. My dad had a similar complaint, different location (shoulder and upper arm). It turned out to be a nerve issue. A simple x-ray in his neck showed four significant bone spurs growing in his spinal column, pressing on his spinal cord. He had surgery to remove them, and all his discomfort immediately vanished.

Moral: see your doctor and most importantly, GET ANSWERS that help you solve your problem.

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
My blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  7:35:45 PM  Show Profile
I would agree that it's likely nerve interference. But I'd see a chiropractor before I'd see my MD. My MD would be likely to medicate me out of it, but a chiropractor can get to the source and fix it. A good chiro will do an intake exam that will include xrays for a lot less money.

I have a very active lifestyle, and there's no way that I could keep at it without my chiropractor. I've had similar symptoms, and she's brought me tremendous relief.

Whatever you decide, I hope you feel better soon!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  07:19:31 AM  Show Profile
Patti, PLEASE see someone! Don't mess around with it. You dont have to agree with the DX but at least you will have info that you need. Blood vessels can mean different things at different ages. Just get it checked out. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  09:12:46 AM  Show Profile
I called my doctor today and have an appointment later this week. The nurse agreed that it needed to be checked out as soon as possible. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks so much for your advice, ladies!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  5:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Please let us know what you find out. I also think the blood clot idea could be of concern.

Drink lots and lots of water!!!! Sometimes cramps come from not enough hydration in your body.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  12:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Patti,
Sorry to hear about your leg cramps, that does sound like something to be concerned about. I'm glad you are having it checked out. Will be praying for positive results and a solution for relief. And I will be checking back to see what you found out. Take care and God bless.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  5:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Well, I found out I do not have a blood clot, and I didn't even have to go to the doctor to find that out. Short version --

My 3rd hour students were taking a quiz and I was grading papers and keeping an eye on them. I started getting chest pains, like a very tight band of pressure across my chest just where the bra is snug at the bottom. The pressure would last a few minutes, then go away. About the 4th cycle, the pain was still there, but there was also pressure/discomfort up through the entire chest area and shooting up to the left (behind the bra strap) to my left shoulder. It would hurt a bit, then fade. After 4th hour, when my lunch started, it had gotten to where it was a bit hard to breathe when it was "tight", so I went to the school nurse. She made me go to the ER (the principal drove me). I thought maybe it had been a blood clot in my leg and now it was near my heart or something, but that wasn't it.

I had chest x-rays, an ultrasound of my leg (to look for blood clots), and all kinds of things done. The good news is I don't have a blood clot and I have an outstanding cholestrol level (the doc said it would be a great # for a fasting test, and it's outstanding for a non-fasting test). The bad news is I have pericarditis, or inflammation of the membrane around the heart. There are several causes of this, and he said if I get it back again I'll need to have tests to see. One of the causes is thyroidism, and my mom, sister, and only blood-niece are all on thyroid medicine. I've been borderline before, so that may be it.

My doctor's appointment for my leg is Thursday after school. The ER doc said that's probably a sciatic nerve issue, from what I'm describing. I think if they had done tests for that, since it was a non-emergency situation, the insurance wouldn't have paid.

I'm feeling much better, am on medication, and will be back at work tomorrow, so there's nothing to worry about. I'm just getting tired of the leg cramp thing.

And wouldn't you know it? I have swelling of the chest, and it doesn't even show!!

Thanks for all your encouragement and prayers. I really do appreciate it.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  5:14:24 PM  Show Profile
Patti - I am glad you are getting a diagnosis. And that will make you feel better, just knowing what is wrong. Still praying for you!

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  8:15:18 PM  Show Profile
Patti,
Well, I'm relieved to hear that it's not a clot, and grateful that you were able to find out right away what the other condition is and not have to wait for test results. It still sounds kind of serious to me, though. I hope the medication does it's job so you don't have anymore emergency situations. What do you have to do to watch your thyroid levels? I've heard of people who have trouble with it, but didn't know if it was something that is controlled by you or medication only.

I will definitely continue to hold you in my prayers for everything to balance out so you can have better health and peace of mind. Keep the faith, my friend.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad you know what is going on. How scary your brave and You sound like such a neat person. Thank you for sharing your concern with us. Get better soon and take care. HollyDee
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  6:05:00 PM  Show Profile
HollyDee, thanks for your kind words. The chest thing is much better, but I still have that silly cramp in my leg. The doctor said it isn't the sciatic nerve or anything else he could ascertain. He said to start keeping a log of what I do and when it hurts so that maybe I can see a pattern. So far it just hurts no matter what. Oh well, I'm doing what he said and I'll see what he says when I go back next month for the follow-up.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  8:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Patti, glad you got things checked out with a diagnosis so quickly. WIll keep you in my prayers. As I was reading these posts, the encouragement for you to go to the Dr. really struck me as I have been dealing with some nerve stuff, from what I think has to do with a disc problem. I have been have tingling things on my face, torso and arms. The thought that I may have to have surgery on myspine, scares the bajiggers out of me. But I will call the Dr. and go check it out. SO even though you girls were encouraging Patti, it encouraged me too.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

annart
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Emily
columbus in.
USA
40 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Patti ,this is for leg cramps only, which is different than what you have ,but this WORKS for me .Stand about two to three ft. away from the wall ,facing the wall ,with uour hands flat against the wall .Lean your body in and let it sag in as much as possible while keeping your heals FLAT on the floor .This really stetches the muscles in the back of the legs .IF I DO THIS BEFORE BEDTIME I NEVER HAVE LEG OR FEET CRAMPS .Mayo Clinic told my NINTY FIVE year old friend to do this 4 times a day ,but it works for me doing it at bedtime only ..I think you should stick with your doctor and your tests for your problem ,but if they don't find anything you might ask the doctor about trying this .My friend passed on about 5 years ago ,but she went to Mayo's every year for 40 or50 years and they always gave her wonderful tips and she would pass them on to me .And they always worked .
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  10:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Annart, thanks so much for the information. I've printed this and will start tonight. I'm still having the cramps, and it's now almost 100% of the time. I just read in the newspaper something about a bar of soap under the sheets, so I'm going to put a bar of soap under the sheet on my camper table/bed, starting tonight. I'll keep you posted!

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I have a strange problem -- any ideas/suggestions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page