Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Help Me Quit the Bad Habit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help Me Quit the Bad Habit Next Topic
Page: of 3

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  10:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
So there are days I feel like a hypocrit. I try to eat healthy, plan my new garden, raise my kids right and be a loving mother and wife. And then there is this habit I have had for years. I smoke and I hate it. It has been a best friend and worst enemy for years. I quit 4 times with each pregnancy and then started up again. I do not smoke in my house or around my kids. So why can't I just quit. How can I preach good health and yet rip myself apart with this?
So here I am asking for farmgirl help. If any of you have time, just drop me an email every so often and see if I can do it. All of your prayers and support and I think I can do it this time.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good job on deciding to quit! That is hard. I used to but I quit also. The first thing I did was to get rid off all paraphenilia around. (Lighters, ash trays, cigs). Then where ever you smoke- you should change. For me- it was my car. I had to clean the car- I as horrified to see how much gross dirt I wiped off the headliner of my car with just a damp rag (it turned a muddy yellow on the rag) And my car was only 3 years old! I also avoided going places where I bought cigarettes too... like the convience store. I even bought gas at the pump with my debit card to avoid going in!

The hardest part for me is when I go to a bar and there is tons of smoke in the air. I get cravings when I drink but I try to supress them.

I have been smoke-free for about 2 years now and the other day I caught a face-full from someone walking in front of me. I shuddered and make the "icky" face! It no longer appeals to me at all.

I know you can do it! Everyone has to approach it from their own way. That is how I did it. I did it with out the patch or gum or whatever- but those are aids if they help.

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Alyssa- I am going to do it with out the aid of a patch or whatever. My hubby will help and I am going to stay away from places I do smoke which is usually out with friends. Tonight I am going to a movie with all the kids. I am even going to indulge in some movie popcorn which I find irresistable but usually pass on.
Farmgirl prayers and support and that of my family will get me through. I am also gopign completely organic. Before I would do it ok but would slack if in a hurry and there was a handy drive through. I want a complete transformation. I want to grow old and be a greatgrandma someday which won't happen if I continue this.
DOes anyone else want to do this with me?
Great advise Alyssa!

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Beth -- I can feel your pain. I have quit smoking 5 times and every time I have started again. And I totally feel like a hypocrit too. I buy organic food, use products with no artificial ingredients, etc but then I smoke. But, like you, I don't smoke in my house or around my daughter. I don't like to smell it when I go out to eat so am totally happy that everywhere in WA is smoke free now. I don't like the smell of it on my clothes. So why do I smoke? Because it is an addicition -- not just a habit. The last time I quit I attended online Nicotine Anonymouse meetings and that's what I learned. Kicking the nicotine is not the hard part. That is gone from your body in 3 days. It's the mental addiction that is the worst. Smoking has, and still is, a friend. It is also a way that I stuff my emotions. I get upset about something so I go outside to smoke. Then I don't have to deal with what's upsetting me.

So, dear friend, I will quit with you! There are lots of online resources available to help. I will send some links for you. And if there are any other smokers out there who want to join us let us know. There is strength is numbers.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
YAY!! so great that you want to quit smoking.....it is so hard for people to quit, even if they only smoke sometimes. I somked for about two years, and I just got sick of it one day. I used that nasty tasting gum to stop. I think you have made the first most important step which is wanting to quit. Great advice form Alysaa in terms of avioding things that would usally make you want to quit....Remember not to be to hard on your self too..I wonder if there are herbal alternatives to quit smoking. Being a health care person I know there are tradtional medical alternatives. Anyone know if there are herbs used to help quit smoking? Keep after it and don't get to discouraged, it is a physical addiction..I am so ready to be all organic, I will try to do this with you !! I have already tried to make a cahnge and have been doing fair. There are times when I diviate..I have a small dilema in terms of eating all organic foods. What do you do at family get togethers? I don't want to be rude and not eat, but i know thier food is not organic? I guess these are questions that we will answer as we go along !!! Keep us posted on how the quiting is going!

Peace, Stacy

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something
Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Here are some links for online help in quitting.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/quitassist/index_flash.asp

This is the online groups that I attended. The people are so wonderful and very supportive.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/voicesofnicotinerecovery/

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Beth, I saw your post earlier but hesitated to respond until I'd thought this through. I apologize ahead of time for what will probably be a long post. I have never smoked and don't have a clue of what it's like to try to quit smoking, but I grew up in a household where both parents smoked. My parents were fairly heavy smokers, I guess, and didn't see anything wrong with smoking, even though my sister and I both asked them more than once to quit.

About 15 years ago, my father was diagnosed with cancer, and by the time he was diagnosed (after about 4 months of various tests), it was too late -- he died 5 months later. I kept thinking of whether or not I should share this or not. It's not that I'm trying to scare you, but it's the facts. I lost my father, and my children have no memories of their grandfather, one of the most wonderful people I have ever known.

My mother continues to smoke but denies it. It is, of course, her choice. I don't bring it up, and I don't think it's my place to badger her about her decision. All that said, here's my response to your post.

I would love to help you quit smoking, but I wanted you to know all this first. I am fairly flexible as far as receiving and sending emails, but during the school day I can only check email at lunch. I will try not to be a nag, but it will be hard for me to know if I'm writing too often or not often enough. Do you feel comfortable enough with me to tell me if I need to back off? I will do whatever you need me to do to help you quit.

You can email me privately if you'd rather. By the way, you said in your post " . . . just drop me an email every so often and see if I can do it." Let's change that "see if" to "how I'm doing in quitting." I'll be praying for you!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  12:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Patti your words mean a lot to me and I thank you for sharing something so touching. It is for that reason I came to MJ's with this. I am sure I am not the only one going through this and knew I would find love support and compassion here.
Kay your links are great! We can do this once and for all.

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  1:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
Okay, I think I was in a fog..I went back and re-read these the posts and realized that I was confused in regrards to what you were asking.....I would be more then willing to help you quit smoking as well through friendly encourgement without nagging....I have already quit but know how hard it can be. Praying for you and here if you need help :) Stacy

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something
Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  1:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Hi Stacy! oops I mean Beth
I just quit 5 months ago, along with my husband. I, much like yourself, was living a very organic, healthy lifestyle....except the cigarettes....which makes absolutely no sense. The most rediculous part, is that I was a health fanatic and even was a marathon runner! Then, after my marathon, being injured and unable to run coincided with much time spent with a chain smoking freind. The next thing I knew (at 29 years old) I was smoking. Anyhow, after many attempts I am finally smoke free....and have absolutely no desire to turn back. Here are some things that helped me. ...
*The first thing is that the urge to smoke, your body's actual physical craving, only lasts 5 minutes. I reminded myself of this alot at the beginning when I was wanting to smoke every 5 minutes!
*Keep a bottle of water with you at all times. This helped my alot with the oral fixation, and after smoking for so long, helped to rehydrate and flush things out too. Are you a tea drinker? I suggest alot of tea as well. There are alot of teas with calming, cleansing herbs. I found an herbal tea called, literally, "Stop Smoking Tea", which helped too.
*I found that coffee & alcohol were triggers, so I steered clear of them for a while. Shopping was another big trigger for me (it stresses me out, the bright lights, loud music, lines, crowds) So if I knew I would be shopping, or doing something stressful, I always kept some kind of treat on hand. Kind of like positive reinforcement for not smoking. Ginger candy has worked too, because it's pretty good for you, and it tastes awesome!
*A walk around the block, yoga class, etc...
I'm sure I'll think of other things, but for me, the most important aspect of quiting was to replace smoking with healthy things and to always keep such things on hand (a bottle of water, ginger candy, a cup of tea, homemade soup....things like that) Now that I have quit, these things are still a part of my daily life.
Good luck! Feel free to lean on me, too, if you feel discouraged.
Lots of love
J

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com

Edited by - Judes on Feb 20 2006 7:15:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  1:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Stacy I thionk it goes hand in hand quitting a bad habit and changing to an organic lifestyle. Consider this the support link for those who need a prayer or two!

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  2:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh- I also missed having something to do with my hand (I know it sounds stupid but a cigarette is something to do and look at) so I play with pens alot (don't mind if the ends of your pens start being chewed on- that won't hurt you! lol) and a manicure is also a good way to pay attention to your hands but not with a cigarette. There are a lot of things you can do that will re-direct your bored/anxious mental energy to something positive. Also try crocheting or knitting to keep hands busy. IE Idle hands are the devil's play ground. :)
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  3:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Beth, just think that you will be able to see your grandbabies grow up for motivation. They did a demonstration at school once about the money you spend on cigarettes. They had Atv's and all sorts of things in the cafeteria, it was crazy. My friend put all the money she use to spend on them into a jar and took a trip to Florida a year later. Maybe you could give your self an incentive, like putting the money away for a romantic trip or a new sewing machine. Congrats on deciding to quit. Will send words of encouragement to you.

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  3:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Judes -- good for you and hubby for quitting!

I love my morning coffee and the last time I quit smoking I had to give it up. I don't smoke when I drink the coffee but for some reason it was a trigger for me. And giving up my coffee is almost harder than the cigarettes for me. I don't drink it because of the caffine -- it's the pleasure of good coffee and my hazelnut creamer. A little indugence just for me.

You will find that you have all kinds of triggers and will learn ways to avoid them. I found that there were certain groups of friends that I could not be with for a long time. They were the ones that I smoked with. And now that I started smoking again I'm back to all the old ways.

I have this little meter that I downloaded that counts how many months, days, hours, minutes, & seconds a person is quit. It also tells you how much money you've saved and how much you've extended you life by not smoking.

I've set my quit date for March 6th and my little meter is running to count down how much time I have left before I quit. With the support of all our wonderful friends here we'll beat this addiction!

-- Celia Thaxter

Edited by - therusticcottage on Feb 20 2006 3:31:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  4:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Beth,
You are in my thoughts.
I quit in 1989 when cigs got to .99 a pack for the off brand.
I had planned on quitting right after Christmas that year, but my In-Laws stayed longer so I quit on the 28th of Dec.
My only suggestion is to find an Acupuncturist, I went cold turkey and packed on 30 lbs in a month (gave up one habit for another)!
I'm seeing an Acupuncturist to help me start to lose some weight.
He had mention he can help with quitting smoking too.
Might be something to consider, at least to get a boost the first week or two.
Just my Two Cents!
YOU CAN DO IT!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  6:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
If I go organic 100% then I won't gain the weight. I am going to do a liver cleanse and a candida cleanse. Last time I did that I lost 20 lbs without much of a diet change. Then when I am on organics I tend to eat less, feel lore satisfied and have more energy, plus the noni juice helps keep my energy level up and build my immune system. I did the first 40 years wrong- I'd better do the next 40 years right.
I hope anyone who wants to join us write in hereand keep uys posted. I will try and do a daily update and add words of encouragement. You are all the best!!!
blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  7:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Beth -

I, too, am a smoker and a hypocrit!- I started when I was sixteen (I am 38) and have never quit. I haven't really wanted to until now. I am scared and I don't even know how to start. Are you going cold turkey? Or phasing off? I already have a weight issue so I cannot gain any weight - but I want to grow old with my DH and see my grandchildren some day. I will do it with you and Kay!! Kay - you are starting March 6th - Beth, have you started yet? I could really use all the help I can get because I am totally a closet smoker - I don't smoke at work or in the house so really just my family knows. I don't want to fail.
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  7:28:05 PM  Show Profile
KNIT- all the time, for everyone you know, this has helped countless smokers and nail biters...get some beautiful needles and make pillows for every room, scarves to put away for gifts, socks, etc. You could also crochet or do redwork. Replace this habit with something beautiful, natural and productive. We are all so proud of you ladies- it is so hard to quit and it takes most people several tries but once you really decide you will feel AMAZING. My Dad quit after 25 years of smoking a pack a day a year ago and he is a whole new person- beautiful skin, healthy, and so darn proud of himself! If all this doesn't inspire you read about how horrible the tobacco companies are- the more you learn the less you will want to give them your hard earned money- why not treat yourself to something made by an honest woman working from home making little soaps or teas?
Just a few thoughts! You are worth all the trouble this quiting will be;)and don't you forget it, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  09:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Ok ladies day 1 is behind me. the first real test came this morning as I drove into work. my usual first smoke of the day and boy did i miss it. but i asked for some farmgirls help and it came! i am ornery with most of my co-workers which isn't good though they are piling stuff on my desk that they don't want to finish. see, i'm crabby.
so i am working my way through day 2. i am overwhelmed by how many sweet emails I have gotten so far and how many of us are battling this. there IS power in numbers so I invite you all to join in with us, even if you don't smoke, maybe you have some other habit you want to quit. Farmgirls, you are powerful. I know we can do this.

You ladies have the best ideas. the first thing i'm going to do to keep my hands from being idle is work on frannies dolly class. way behind and need to do some catching up. plus i am having a dinner party on thursday for a friends bday- i'm making chinese food, one of my favorites. i'll even do it organic!

wishing you all the best.

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  5:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Beth!! Keep it up.

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  4:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Day 2 has come and gone. it is harder and harder. I was close to breaking when I turned on the radio in my car and they were talking about choosing your drug and then doing it til it kills you. They were talking about smoking. Stunning how some times you hear just the right words at just the right time. Chat with yal tomorrow, have tons to acomplish tonight!

blessings
beth

Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  6:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Beth, I know it's only been 2 days, but I wanted to chech on you and say YOU CAN DO IT.
Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
My blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  7:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Awesome Beth!

Tonight when you eat dinner- focus on the taste of the food- By now your body should be starting to recover from the smoke a bit. You should be able to taste a bit more flavors in food. Also I would suggest drinking LOTS of Green Tea and Peppermint tea. These are full of great things for you and the more liquids you down- the easier it will be. :) Keep up the awesome work! By the end of tomorrow all of the actual Nicotine will be gone from your system and you will just need to concentrate on the mental addiction. Hard candy can be good for the oral fixation too. :)
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  9:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Good Girl Beth, deciding to quit! You're kids will be happy,knowing that Mom will be around for them. Know that my prayers surround you. You can do this, one step at a time!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  6:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kay, can I start quitting with you on the 6th? I have smoked since 16 and really do need to quit for medical reasons!! Docs tell me so every time.
I wonder just how thick I am really, that them warning me doesnt make a big immpression!!
My excuse has always been to live life as you enjoy it and I do enjoy the ciggs. :)
But reading through this letters, did give me a reality check. I also eat healthy and very concious of doing that, but here I am destroying any good I do with a ciggy.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  08:21:08 AM  Show Profile
Helen -- I'd love to have you as my quitting buddy.

How's everyone else doing? Beth -- are you hanging in there?

I've decided that one of the rewards I'm going to give myself after I quit is a facial at a salon. I've never had one in my life and my skin needs help. The money I save from not smoking is going to pamper me! That is also one of the benefits of quitting -- your skin will look better.

-- Celia Thaxter

Edited by - therusticcottage on Feb 25 2006 3:11:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help Me Quit the Bad Habit Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page