Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 If you..........., you must be a Farmgirl.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic If you..........., you must be a Farmgirl. Next Topic
Page: of 7

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
If you own more wheelbarrows than small kitchen appliances, you might be a FARMGIRL.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:12:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh I thought of another on, you must be a farm girl if you buy bright colored flannel shirts so you can call them dress clothes!! I thought they looked really nice :-)

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  09:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I'm still laughing...love them!!

Ya might be a farmgirl if MaryJane Butters really feels like a sister!

Linda in Scranton, PA

The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world!

Edited by - yarnmamma on Jun 30 2009 09:39:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

thethriftycountrywoman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jane
Port Austin Michigan
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  10:04:28 AM  Show Profile
peapicker -- love the rainshower carwash!

You might be a farmgirl if: your choice of foot attire is muck boots, you take visitors in to see all your canned goods in your pantry, you leave zucchini on neighbors doorsteps, your fingers are permanently
dirty from April to November from gardening
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile
You might be a Farmgirl if....you have a pair of hand decorated flip flops to match each one of your aprons (I buy $1 flip flops and tie pieces of fabric cut with pinking shears all along the straps to match my aprons...really cute!!)

YMBAF....If you have to tell your 2 year old and three year old that they have to put clothes on because we have to go to town...and they start crying, because they dont understand why they can only run around naked at home.

YMBAF....if when your 2 year old gets chicken poop on his foot, you tell him to wipe it off on the grass and it will be ok.....or when he gets it on his fingers and you wipe it off with your apron.

YMBAF...if you have a pet turkey named Mildred McGobbleSticks, and she has her own thread on Mary Janes Farm Forums

YMBAF...if you walk into the livingroom to find a chicken and a turkey sitting at the kids feet begging for M&Ms

YMBAF....if you get upset during the winter because it has rained for 5 solid days and the laundry is piling up because even though you have a dryer, you refuse to use it!

YMBAF...if you can spend 3 hours on the phone with another Farmgirl you have never met that lives on the other side of the country, absolutely having the best time laughing...all while cooking dinner, eating dinner, then cleaning up dinner dishes, changing diapers, refilling sippy cups, gathering eggs, and folding laundry and the other farmgirl is driving home from work, feeds the animals, makes dinner, eats dinner, and cleans up dinner dishes (deeredawn and I do this quite often!!)

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  1:05:00 PM  Show Profile
You might be a farm girl if your coffee tables covered with garden magazines, Mary Jane Magazines, Seed catalogs, Country Life and Country living magazines next to the sears catalog and your bathroom reading material is topped with FARMERS ALMANAC.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  1:50:11 PM  Show Profile
If the tips of your second and longest finger on both hands have tough callouses from quilting.......You just might be a farmgirl.

If you know the birds and bunnies in your garden just by looking at each one, you just might be a farmgirl.

If your fridge has more fresh tomatoes and blueberries than soft drinks, you just might be a farmgirl.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  1:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
...what about tendonitis from crochet?...is that farmgirl enough?

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  3:08:51 PM  Show Profile
YMBAFG if the signs of spring include sunscreen, bras and carpal tunnel.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  3:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile
If your definition of a fun night out is sitting out on the front porch with your lap top and a glass of wine and playing around on MJF forums with the other gals..........yoooouuuuu might be a farmgirl!!
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  2:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
... if you'd rather light an oil lamp than turn on a switch of a light.

THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT ONES ALREADY! LOL!!

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
http://www.stevietribute.com
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  2:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
... if you read and can understand and put to use some of the things mentioned in "The Self Sufficient life" book when a terrible hurricane hits... and that's what you read to pass the time!

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
http://www.stevietribute.com

Edited by - lilwing on Jul 01 2009 2:58:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile
....If you take your portable sewing machine camping, because you just have to get those cherry curtains amde and hung
...if you actually enjoy washing and drying dishes by hand
....if your 30 something daughter tells you she wants to learn to make jam, and you feel like you've been given the best gift of the week
....pickin' strawberries
....taking more quilting projects than clothes on vacation
....realizing that " you are just like Grandma" is high praise.
....getting excited about the free box at the garage sale when it contains 2 dozen canning jars
....ask your friends for their DH's old flannel shirts for quilting
.....making your Christmas presents
.....realizing that you haven't been to the mall in a year and you are actually proud of that
....going to tractor supply for fun
....you can't wait to catch up with all your sisters on the MJF site.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  7:26:12 PM  Show Profile
.....when you finish your yo-yos for a swap on a camping trip:)
.....when you get chased out of your laundry room by a chicken looking for snacks
.....if you actually get excited about those big huge baby-whale sized zucchinis and rather than trying to get rid of them ask people for extras
.....if your 16yo junk food junkie son's favorite cake is chocolate - zucchini cake
Amy Grace
(Teresa Sue - this thread is the best!!)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jul 01 2009 7:26:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  8:55:07 PM  Show Profile
If, as you read thru all these, and you are laughing so hard you are crying, cause the majority of them, you can say, " been there done that , doing that and I want to do that", or you know someone personaly that has!!!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  10:08:46 PM  Show Profile
You all are soooo talented!! I had no idea a Farmgirl could do all these things!

Okay...here's my contributions...

You know you're a farmgirl if...

...You get home late at night, hike up your long skirt, tuck it into your underwear to hold it, and trot on out to the coop to put your hens to bed in your dress sandles

...you have a darling photo of the south end of your northbound two year old son trotting around Grandpa's farm in nothing but a bandana, folded in half and tied around his waist, and covering only the northbound side! (love this photo...can't wait to show his future wife!)

...you don't even think twice about parking your Chevy Blazer in the middle of traffic to "rescue" a lost bale of hay in the middle of the road, shoving it in the back despite the mess it's gonna make

...the smell of the hay in the back of your Chevy Blazer gives you butterflies in your stomach, just like being in love

...your ring tone is the crow of a rooster!

...your homeschool quarterly reports include "hatching eggs" as a science project and your Project Fair submission is a photo story of the whole process

...every one of your Christmas gifts was made with your own hands!

...you fall in love with the half starved kitty who shows up in your garage and you take him in and feed him and take him to the vet and spend all-together too much $$ on him so that he can sleep in your bed and walk on your head and pillow all through the night and then bite your toes when you get out of bed barefoot

...you think that towels that come out of the dryer "feel funny"

Love you all!

Carrie

PS...Grace Gerber, I would SOOOOO love to hear the UPS man's take on that story....how absolutely FARMGIRL!

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  07:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Love those Grace!
Here's another...

You know you're a farmgirl when you have a lamb in the familyroom and chicks in the sunroom.
You know your'e a farmgirl when you and the kids go to Starbucks to do homework outside, and you have to bring the bottle baby lamb along on a leash! And he fits in with all the other folks that brought their dogs.

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  07:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Carrie - there is a reason my Place is called the "Funny Farm"

You know your a farm girl when:

...You keep say on the Phone "Sorry for my loud kids" and you are talking about the bottle four leggeds who are in your kitchen.

...When your favorite Christmas gift is a pair of gloves that will keep your hands warm to minus 20 degrees for kidding season. My son knows me so well...

...And my other son give me new snowshoes to make my treks to the kidding barn easier and faster. What great sons...

...When you have been sitting at the county fair animal barn for days and a city kids comes thru and says to her Mother "What's that smell"? and you smell under your armpits thinking it might be you and not the hundreds of animals.

...When you can identify the difference between a llama poop, rabbit poop, goat poop and sheep poop that is sitting in the compost.. O.K. I admit that is a weird one even for a farmgirl but it pays to know your poop - not all raisinetts are alike...

...When you gkive directions by barns rather then street signs. If you every had a chance to see "Funny Farm" where the guys gives directions but the barn that was gone for 7 years, old man's so and so - that is me - how nuts is that???

...Your billy goats fight over who gets to have pets and hugs first from you and you feel honored by that display - O.K. again I know that sounds weird..

...When a fellow farmer in need can call and you will drop everything and RUN to help even if you do not know what for.

...When company says they are coming early to the farm and you are thinking 5:30 or 6:00 am and they are thinking 10:30 or 11:00 am.

... When you go to a party in the city and your are the progressive person - You raise WHAT? You do WHAT? I think I read about that - do you really do that for a living - WHY? I am now the Eco Sheek where for many years I was just that Weirdo with strange animals and a log home.

Hurray for all us ECO SHEEK FREAKS!!! or as we call ourselves FARMGIRLS!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  08:07:19 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful thread! Yay...here's my contribution.

YMBAFG

If your dinner is based on what's being harvested from the garden that afternoon.

You take your sick kitty to the ER vet at midnight during a severe thunderstorm in a pair of well-loved knee high Hunter boots, still which for some reason, makes all the other people in the waiting room smile.

You buy locally (from other farmgirls--and guys) what you don't grow or make yourself, from food to handmade textiles

If your idea of a "getaway" doesn't involve a concierge or small bottles of hotel shampoo.

You forage, and utilize what nature left for you to make Christmas gifts (wild bramble jam and spiced pear wine!)

You work full time, raise a now 18 week old, tend 4 large raised vegetable beds, can, cook, clean, launder and still find time to powder your nose, put on a little lipstick or call a friend to say, "I'm thinking about you!".

You have more animals than people in your life :)

Along with your "shiny new" appliances and kitchen tools, you still rely on your great grandmother's rolling pin, and old food mill.

Your favorite shopping experience is our local Fedder's feed store, which has been in business since 1890.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  11:01:51 AM  Show Profile
YMBAF....if your 2 year old falls asleep in the rocking chair on the front porch naked as a jaybird, and when you pick him up to take him inside, a bunch of uneaten blackberries fall out of his tiny little hands!

This event actually put a smile on my face, yet I also got a lump in my throat, and an overwhelming feeling of pure joy all at the same time!! Unexplainable!!!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  1:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Me, too, Kelly! Adorable and sooo sweet!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  4:08:50 PM  Show Profile
I love this!
Hmmm, let's see...here are a few of mine:
.......if you go down to feed your hens in Sunday dress because you have to get it done before you go to church!
.......if you get up in the morning and start making bread.
.......if there are visions of cows and pigs dancing in your head.
.......if you love the sight of your clothes and bed linens blowing in the breeze.
.......if you can totally relate to this thread. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  4:15:39 PM  Show Profile
This has been a hoot to read! I'm practically rolling on the floor laughing. Here's mine:

You might be a farmgirl if...you wake at 3 am on June 21 and realize it's 33 degrees outside. Can't find the flashlight so use a candle to find the garden blankets in the shed to cover the veggies just in time!

You might be a farmgirl if...you make jewelry from elk droppings with matching "deer drop" earrings for someone's Christmas gift.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  4:22:33 PM  Show Profile
You might be a farmgirl if - you bought your bright pink carhart overalls on sale for half price because they were already dirty and they are your favorite winter attire.
- your husband of 32 years tells you you look sexy driving the tractor .

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic If you..........., you must be a Farmgirl. Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page