Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 If you..........., you must be a Farmgirl.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic If you..........., you must be a Farmgirl. Next Topic
Page: of 7

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  1:22:05 PM  Show Profile
I have enjoyed reading this thread so much and so many have hit home.

If you have ever got up at 4 am without an alarm to wake you, have a hot cup of coffee and start doing chores and don't stop until 10 PM that night. Take a hot shower and go to bed, already thinking what you have to do tomorrow. Saying your prayers and thanking God for the many blessing you have had today.

If you have had a cow chase you and you hide behind a tree, all the while telling old 49 that she is going to town on the first truck out of here or staring her back down and calling her hamburger!

If you have ever been on a cutting horse that went side ways and you didn't, leaving you in mid air and knowing that your old butt is going to hit the ground in just a second. Ouch!!!

You know you are a farmgirl if you climb back on that same horse and repeat the same incident again.

If you stand at the fence and cry and talk to the cows or ewes that are crying for their calves or lambs during weaning time.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Contentment is the crown jewel of a happy life.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  1:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Rae - you know your a farmgirl when you can not wait to hear about other's chicks and cry with them on the phone when one dies.

Sarita - you take a hot shower?? That is the step I am missing..

Teresa Sue - the UPS guy and I have a friendly relationship but I sure can make his face turn red when I tell him babies are about due.

You know your a farmgirl when your city friends come for Easter dinner and your serving lamb and in that same kitchen you have a bottle lamb. Sure makes for a quite dinner until I explain we never eat someone who is raised on our farm...

You know your a farmgirl when the snow is coming in between the logs of your bedroom and you just pull the covers up a little bit higher over your head.

You know your a farmgirl when your sons settle an arguement with an axe and a cattle panel and the only thing you can say is "Not where the customers can see guy's" That is a whole long story of which I wished I could say did not happen more then once - but you know if your a farmgirl it happens often with two boys in the house.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2876 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2876 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  2:48:36 PM  Show Profile
This happened just this morning..
You know you are a farmgirl when, you don't feel like going upstairs for a clean shirt, so you just walk outside topless, go to the line & pull off a t shirt that had been left hanging outside overnight, & deadhead a few flowers along the way.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  3:11:34 PM  Show Profile
You know you are a farmgirl when you take a full mousetrap outside and set it down for the ferral cats and they leave the empty trap by the door. You know your a farmgirl when you are standing in the muddy garden in your bedroom slippers pulling out weeds when all you meant to do was move the hose. You know you are a farmgirl when you have a wild quail land on your shoulder in the chicken house when you are putting water in the waterer. You know you are a farmgirl when your lamb gets buried in the snow that came off the barn roof and you wade in in your PJ's and parka in snow up to your armpits to dig him out.

You know you are a farmgirl when you ask your husband where he wants the outhouse and he vaguely points and when he comes home you have a 6 foot hole dug, and tell him to build it as you are tired of peeing in the woods and you are 5 months pregnant. He says that's where I was going to put the woodshed and you say build it anyway.

You know you are a farmgirl when your in-laws come to visit from New York and give you a check to put in a septic system :)

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  4:12:12 PM  Show Profile
You must be a farmgirl if, you get up early in the morning, to sip coffee around a campfire while staring into your greenhouses,enjoying the look of all the plants as they grow.

You must be a farmgirl if you thank your chickens for the eggs they lay each day!

Lynner

...God made the seed to grow...
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  6:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Grace. take time for that hot shower (maybe warm shower) at bedtime if nothing else goes right all day...then you can sleep better so you can wake up early the next morning and start all over.

You know you are a farmgirl if you slow down as you go down the road to admire your neighbor's new cow or bull or horse or slow down when driving the interstate when you see a flock of sheep or a nice old pick up truck and about get rear ended.

You know you are a farm girl if you ask for a new night scope for your rifle so you can see those coyotes lurking around your livestock after dark.

If you sit straight up in bed when the dogs bark and go plowing out the door in your night gown toward the barn with your rifle or pistol in your hand.

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  6:39:14 PM  Show Profile
This thread makes me feel so sane and normal. I have finally found my people that understand me.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, been there done that, plowed out the door with guns in hands stark ass naked in the hottest part of the summer, and not even flinched when it turned out to be a Hobo, just pointed the gun, and told him to go on his way, so I guess that counts as being a farmgirl, or complete nutcase at minimum.

If I had more time, maybe some one else does, these need to be all copyed down , along with the authors names and turned into a topic all on its own, or maybe it should be published in MJF magazine.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh, Y'all are so funny. But the hilarious thing is all of it hits home. Sarita, my poor old border collie just about goes ballistic when she hears the coyotes cause when we had sheep everytime I heard them around our place I'd explode out of bed and head outside, leaving poor hubbs airborn, lol.
I relate to all of it :^)

You might be a FARMGIRL if you wait to clean out your old canned goods like jellies and jams that have been around awhile(because you got crazy and thought you needed to can five thousand pints of various assorted jams and jellies)until you had hogs to feed them to because you don't want to waste the sugar and fruit in them, even if they are 10 years old, lol. BTW, I was their new bff, hahaha.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:39:58 PM  Show Profile
Well, I MAY be a farmgirl, because I'm in darned good company!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  8:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Here all this time my husband has told me that when the Good Lord made me that He broke the mold...and I thought he was right...now I am having doubts since reading this thread.
Teresa, my Sissy and old Norman dog comes running by me to hide close to the house or garage cause they know that things are going to get noisy if I come running out the door with my gun.
My hubby can sleep through a whole round now!
I have always heard that a Hobo marks your house (you know if other hobos can get food and etc), umhmmmm, Teresa, wonder how he marked yours???? (I would have liked to have been hiding in the bushes to see his face!) Still lol!
Grace, my little UPS guy is so bashful that if he saw me without a shirt, he would drive by the driveway and throw my packages out the door as he went by....

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  8:43:39 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I don't have a problem feeding anybody that comes around at a "NORMAL" hour, middle of the night, and you're just asking to get a butt full of buckshot, only theives come after the lights are out.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  8:57:04 PM  Show Profile
I am with you, Teresa. I am sorry but I can't stop laughing, knowing how I run out the door with my gun to protect my livestock, I bet that hobo wished he had clean underwear after his close encounter with a nude woman packing heat!

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  9:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Lmbofotf...This is So Funny, its true every thing about being a farm girl..I am Normal. Let me add one..
You might be a farm girl if you look forward to hanging your clothes outside on the clothes line when the weather warms to 60 degrees... And Ymbafg if you run outside in your pajamas, barefoot to shut the chicken coop door. Step in Chicken poop on the porch don't mind it oozong between your toes.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  9:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
When there are more pictures on your camera of your cow than your kids

so far this is a fav of mine

Linda in Scranton, PA

The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world!
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  9:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
You know your a farmgirl when you run outside in your nightgown and fancy bed slippers to empail a badger on a pitch fork because it was after your hens.

so far the funniest!!

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  9:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
wow...I haven't laughed this good in a long time!
So far I can say that, Ya might be a farmgirl if seeing something to wear or decorate with your first thought is "I can make that".
Also ya might be a farmgirl is ya don't need a pattern anymore to make a new apron!

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  9:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have more..
Ya might be a farmgirl if a visitor tells ya the living room curtains are actually kitchen curtains...and ya don't care! They looked like red checked table cloths to me and I loved them anywhere in the house!

ya might be a farmgirl if most windows are covered with something handmade and you're proud....quilts, afghans, even long skirts.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Edited by - yarnmamma on Jun 29 2009 9:48:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  10:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, My late husband used to say "there ain't anything sexier than my women covered in muck, and carrying a big gun", and I told him ditto, wink, wink!

you might be a farmgirl if you still enjoy a good roll in the hay after 50 years or so!!!

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  03:50:17 AM  Show Profile
I'll second the one about getting the free canning jars...always a cheap thrill

YMBAFG.....if dirt under your nails is typical and you think nothing of it

You count down to wild blackberry picking time

you get a huge kick out of watching chickens, buying new chicks and spending a minimum of 45 minutes in the poultyy house at the state fair each year to get ideas for next year's newest additions that you simply MUST have

OR if you take off a few days from work for bonding time with your newly arrived chicks

if people constantly ask how is the garden and what'd ya plant this year?

If when you go to a party you bring a dozen farm fresh eggsas a hostess gift, and the hostess practically falls at your feet

And of course, I also have a little pile of clothes for the "can and can't be seen in public" too
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  04:26:36 AM  Show Profile
If the closest thing to perfume for you is mosquito spray (Eue De Deet), you just might be a farmgirl.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  05:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Okay. Here's mine. YMBAFG if you wake up in the morning and find a baby bull standing in your kitchen waiting for his bottle, and you could 'smell' him before you got there. YMBAFG if you just grab a dust pan, scoop it up, take it outside and throw it in the compost pile, then come back in wash your hands, start your coffee, then his bottle, and never miss stride.

Yep. That was my induction into changing from a city girl to a farm girl. And that same day, I got the back door lock fixed.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  05:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Julie...I think ya just told me a new favorite! LOL I love babies and I bet the baby bull is adorable!!

Linda in Scranton, PA

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
If you wake up in the morning, go into the kitchen and your two year old daughter has the fridge and the back door open because she is taking food from the fridge out to the back step where a circle of brood mares are curiously sampling what she is bringing them, you might be a FARMGIRL, with a future FARMGIRL in the making, hehehe.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:15:30 AM  Show Profile
You might be a farm girl if you talk more to your chickens than anyone else and slippers are really shoes meant for going anywhere!

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic If you..........., you must be a Farmgirl. Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page