Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Southern Fried Farmgirls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Southern Fried Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 6

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  05:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning,

It just about killed me to miss that meeting. I wanted to meet all the gals.

I'll fill everyone in on the details of the now ongoing saga...."The Long Process of Getting Someone Off Your Property"

Wednesday can't get here fast enough. I can just taste those berries and see my stained fingers and lips. I can smell the preserves bubbling on the stove and feel my fingers in pain from grabbing hot jars and lids......WHAT FUN!!!!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

pamelasue
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Pam
Porter Texas
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:11:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls! We had a wonderful meeting yeasterday, Connie shared her beekeeping stories with us and she made banana nut muffins...yummy! Rita was invited to our meeting by Julie, Rita is a retired truck driver and is almost finished raising her last grand child and in her 'spare time' she is starting a saddle website, you go lady! Julie told us about goats milk soap and the process it takes to get started, and she bought some samples of her soap for everyone, and cheese and cracker, yummy again! Angel has a great idea about Earth Day, and she will tell us more at a later date.
The berry picking date is still on and we must get there early to get the best pick! So see you all soon!
Go to Top of Page

Sweetpeas Grandma
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Jan
New Caney Texas
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  2:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls, Sorry that I missed out on all the fun ya'll had and meeting the new ladies(Sad Face)!! But had a family function that I had to be at. Okay, now to the gooooood stuff.... Where & What time are we meeting to go berry pickin (yummmy)!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

pamelasue
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Pam
Porter Texas
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  07:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Jan, as far as I know we are meeting Wednesday morning at the IHOP, 1314 & 59, at 9:00, see you then!
Pam
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  10:58:50 AM  Show Profile

I am new to the group and really had a wonderful time at the meeting in April and can't wait for our strawberry pickin time tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
People Tested Goat Approved, tm
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  11:02:08 AM  Show Profile
I have an idea as one of our fun projects. Does any one want to show us how to make jelly?

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweetpeas Grandma
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Jan
New Caney Texas
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Pam, see ya'll in the morning....

Julie, Now I thank you are on to something ......

Jan
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Bad news, gals....I just got information that King's Orchard has been picked over and they suggest that berry pickers don't come back for a week or two. As another option, I contacted Moorehead's and they aren't open until May.

I'm still willing to meet at IHOP and having a good time there or we can make new plans in the morning.

See y'all
Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

pamelasue
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Pam
Porter Texas
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2006 :  6:07:20 PM  Show Profile
oh bummer! I will still be at ihop in the morning tho! See you all then!
Pam
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  3:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I had a grand time at Mercer Arboritium this morning. I had never been and all the flowers were just wonderful. In fact, I came home a made a small garden that my husband always mows over this time of year. Guess I was motivated!

Hope you have a grand day!

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Shaklee Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Angel
Porter,Tx. (N.Houston area)
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2006 :  3:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Hope everyone able to make it today enjoyed, as a second choice to strawberries, sorry that didn't work today, everyone else must have had the same idea for them to have been picked out. I think everybody was alittle disappointed. We should possibly try again on the berries, & as I mentioned lots of other fruits & vegetables should start in the next month, & I'll try to find some other places too, so we'll plan more outings. Yes the Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens is where we ended up (us ladies/farmgirls always have to be ready for plan B,C or whatever it takes sometimes) on the north side on Houston, and it's always a pleasure going there! Such great ideas, as I see Julie enjoyed & is running with it. Go girl as the young ones say in todays time. The event I stayed for was great, called the lunch bunch held once a month there, with food & drink for a $4.00 donation (I didn't get anything but something to drink & a cookie)and todays was on "fragrant flowers"! It was very informative & interesting, I got the papers so we can maybe copy for anyone else. Oh, by the way the little flowers that was silimar to pansies but really smaller & were purple,yellow, etc. are Violas. I kept thinking vinca & knew it was wrong, so I guess I was kinda close. We should go again sometime down the road maybe in the fall & do a picnic in the park across the street, maybe?? Well till later got to go do the dinner thing again. Take care ladies & enjoyed. Angel

Sharing & Choosing Healthier Alternatives
Checkout www.shaklee.net/allen
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  05:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Yep, we were all disappointed about the 'slim pickins' at King's Orchard. I'm just glad we found out before we drove an hour to get there and then find out there weren't many strawberries. I know we all want a bunch so we can do some jams.

I bet when we go in the next couple of weeks, there will be strawberries and blackberries. We'll get two kinds in one trip. Now, that's not a bad deal.

I loved all the color at the arboretum. Just stunning. Every flower looked so bright. My youngest said, "These colors can't be made with any crayon or paint". She's right. The vibrancy and depth of the hues were so pleasing to the eye.

Angel, thanks for the info......Violas! I loved them....looked just like butterflies.

I can't wait to see Pam's pic. of the remains of that huge snake. She'll have to post it here for all to see. When I say huge, I mean it. Not just some 3 foot snake, but an over 8 foot snake! My girls spotted it in the gulley at the back of the nature trail. At first, we thought it was an alligator tail turned upside-down. It was about 6 feet long and the diameter was that of a roll of paper towels. I'm telling ya'...huge!!

My girls went down for a closer look.....they're so brave!.....and I'm not! They observed, took note, and determined it was not an alligator tail but a body of a snake. The other half with the head was nowhere to be seen. WEIRD! We wanted to ask one of the park staff about it but didn't.

Our logic led us to the possible solution to this mystery....why such a huge snake? why is it chopped in half? why is it in the gulley? It's probably a constricter of some type that someone had as a pet and let go. It grew and grew and grew, made its way to the gardens of the arboretum and a staff member chopped him up and threw him in the gulley. The top half of him? Well, we can't figure that one out.

Blessings
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

pamelasue
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Pam
Porter Texas
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  06:05:18 AM  Show Profile
That WAS a big snake...yikes! No like snakes!
Don't forget the other LIVE snake we saw, it was a coral snake, red & yella..kill a fella. Scared that one off!
We had a great time at the park, I sent everyone pics. I hope you all got them, if you want the snake pic. just let me know and i will email it to you.
I want my yard to look just like the arboretum! Absolutely beautiful.
Someday we will have to go to Tyler and see all the roses.
Just a reminder our next meeting is May 13th @ 9:00, I know thats about a month away, but start inviting other Farmgirls to join us.
See you all soon!
Pam
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  06:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Catherine,

I will let you know how the soap turns out. I am making rosemary and lemongrass goats milk soap.
I purchased your rosemary from the store the other day. I would also like to try basil and citrus essential oil blend.

Have a great day!

Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  06:20:59 AM  Show Profile
Yep! Pamela saved my life!!! grabbed my arm as I never saw the snake! Thanks Pam!

Pam, I was in Walmart and invited a lady to Farm Girls. She purchases her bird seed from the store. She indicated she will be talking to you about it. She seemed real interested.

Don't forget the Woodlands Farmers Market opens May 6, 2006 8:00am to Noon.
This is premier opening day, the first time Woodlands has had a farmers market.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  06:25:20 AM  Show Profile
The Woodlands Farmers Market

correction on the hours: 8:00am to 11:00am

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2006 :  06:30:57 AM  Show Profile
There is also another farmers market in the works in Montgomery.

Let me know if anyone is interested in being a vendor. I can't promise anything and it looks like it won't get started until spring 07.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

pamelasue
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Pam
Porter Texas
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  5:18:12 PM  Show Profile
hi, just checking in with everyone, must be busy bees! We picked blackberries on Easter Sunday, sooo many of them by the RR tracks, oops...you didn't hear that from me! Should be more ripe ones by Wed./Thurs. Chuck was determined to get some kind of berry in him! His tongue was purple by the time we got home!Most of them were sweet and as big as your thumb. See you by the tracks!
Pam
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  6:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Pam,

That is just great! Yummmmm! blackberry pie

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  6:56:12 PM  Show Profile
It's official! Hammond Farm will be an approved vendor at the Woodlands Farmers Market.

Opening day is May 6th from - 08:00 to 11:00am and will continue every saturday through Sept.

marketstreet-thewoodlands.com

If any of you are wanting to be a vendor next year with jellies, jams, pickles etc.
Please note that you must have a Texas Manufacturing License and make your items
in a commerical kitchen. Now is the time to start working on that if you don't
already have it done. This is only for those interested in this type of project.

Deadline for vendor applications was April 1st.
The deadline will probably be the same for next year.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  6:58:01 PM  Show Profile
The Montgomery Farmers market will begin sooner than Spring 07. Further updates when known.

Crafts can be sold at this market if anyone is interested.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  9:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Catherine,

Are you bringing more Rosemary to the store?

My soap turned out wonderful!!!!

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  04:45:51 AM  Show Profile
Catherine,

I think you have a neat business going. I have been told that "CERTIFIED" organics has a bright future. If you are interested in getting certified let me know.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Shaklee Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Angel
Porter,Tx. (N.Houston area)
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  07:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone hope alls fine on your end. Julie saw your posting, & just a thought, that I would mention to you that if you have the info. about "certified" & maybe wouldn't be too long to post that others might be interested in what it takes to go that way, since sooo many folks do read this. For instance, you talking at our meeting last time about the kitchen requirements to publicly sell homecooked stuff, & Connie talking about the beeing keeping information...all so helpful for us to understand "what it takes" for many things that alot of us think or dream about doing.
Whether it could be some type of farming, gardening(ha-ha sound familiar)or even fly-fishing (which I love to do,or at least try)/soapmaking/marketing/baking/parenting/camping,whatever,etc.
etc., just about all things in life. Alot of times it's just knowing the 1,2,3's of something &/or someone taking the time to show how. Maybe I should start a section on here called "What does it Take" for folks to input info. from there vast encyclopedia of experience & knowledge for others to learn & share in. But maybe I should scan thru more of the sections already started to be sure nothing like that already exists so not having duplicate areas. Well best to everyone to have a good day & rest of the week!! Angel

Sharing & Choosing Healthier Alternatives
Checkout www.shaklee.net/allen
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2006 :  1:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Angel,

That is a good idea. I can post no problem.
Let me know if you are going to start a new topic or should I post here.

Best Regards,
Julie

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Southern Fried Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page