Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  08:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Spoolies? I've seen them, never used them...seems to me Vermont Country Store might still sell them...
Go to Top of Page

sarahf
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sarah
Harrison AR
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  5:27:21 PM  Show Profile
I used to do this all the time! I loved it. I also used to use sponge curlers.

http://www.homemadelyesoap.net
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  8:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I'm so gonna have to try these tonight!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  06:25:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey Channa, tell your Mom I do remember spoolies, I used them when I was young. made some serious curls, and my hair is thick and hard to curl. I think we are showing our age, although I'm sure your Mom is younger that I am. now I'm thinking of trying this rag curler idea. take care. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I've done my hair up twice now! I just cut up denim strips (from an old skirt that was in the rag pile.) The first time, I had just washed my hair, so I rolled it, and went to bed on it. Ugh....it did NOT dry, so in the morning, my shorter layers were kinda curly and the long ones were....not! LOL Anyway, I put it up in a bun to hide it and did it again that night. This time (I don't wash my hair every day) I just dampened my hair with a spray bottle, and rolled smaller sections. It turned out sooo great! Today (that was yesterday) my hair is still cute and wavy! I think I just may be hooked! Usually, my ahir is super straight and pretty thin...I've always wanted curls!
~Kayla

Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  1:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Kayla, try making some out of flannel. It sucks the moisture out of your hair while you sleep. I have really long hair, and mine is dry by morning.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  8:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Oh, that is a great idea! Thanks so much!

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  5:55:18 PM  Show Profile
I never thought of using flannel, the cotton muslin would always never give me enough curl. I love the curly cue that my bangs make.

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  02:57:34 AM  Show Profile
How funny that I found this! i tried rag rollers in college and now (at 39) I just cut up a quilting scrap to try, try again. Just didn't have time to spend sectioning my hair at night lately. I suppose flannel would be better?

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  4:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I really, really have to try this.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  08:51:07 AM  Show Profile
I've tried this many times and could never get the ends in so my hair just stuck up all over! Just figured out what I'm doing wrong. I've always done it when my hair was dry(you know, years of electric rollers and curling irons)! Going to try it again with wet hair this time.My husband just handed over a couple flannel shirts that are just too ragged to save so I can make the rags out of them...after saving the buttons, of course!

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  9:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
This may be a dumb question but do you do it with your hair wet? Or does it matter?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  09:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes, your hair most definitely needs to be wet, or at least damp when you start. Do it at bedtime, so it dries overnight. I guarantee you will be delighted with the results! If it is too curly the first day, put it up. By the second day, you will have sexy, voluminous curls.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  11:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you soo much Shari!! I can't wait to try it!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  07:17:59 AM  Show Profile
It is so funny that you mention rag-curlers. I used them in High School when my hair was long and I just wanted a soft curl that held all day. I was sharing the experience with my 24 year old son's girlfriend the other day and she said that she thought she would try making some and using them. They were much softer to sleep-on than aluminum cans or brush rollers like we used in the Sixties.

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  3:00:32 PM  Show Profile
I tried sleeping in brush rollers one time... it hurt so bad, I still get nightmares about it.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  4:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Used the rag rollers yesterday for Easter. My 8 yr old told me I looked ridiculous and couldn't wait for me to get them out of my hair! It was too funny. It gave my straight over-grown hair lots of body and i just twisted and pinned the sides. Lots of waves on top and down my back. I loved it. Wish I would have had RED lipstick to go with that almost glamorous hair! I'm doing it again tonight. MY DH is gonna freak. I'm not usually "girly".

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  3:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Emily, my mom did that once and she said she would never do that again. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

shoerswife1
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

jennifer
yantis tx
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  08:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Ok, apparently, I need some pointers. This is the 3rd day of trying rag curlers...I look like a nappy poodle! It's frizzy, and the ends are rediculous! How do you get them to roll in there?? Please help!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:43:44 AM  Show Profile
Start with towel dried hair. You can put antifrizz serum in if you like. Take 1 inch sections, place tip in center of rag and roll all the way to the scalp. Tie. Repeat all over. In the morning unroll them carefully to keep curls intact, and just fingerstyle it. DO NOT comb or brush!!! If it still looks frizzy, spray lightly with antifrizz serum, or even spray on conditioner. This will smooth and loosen the curls. Good luck!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:35:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm definitely going to try this! I think I'll experiment with my three little girlies hair first :) .

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  3:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
well I tried it and it was super curly! lol I tried brushing it out and I was a fuzy ball. lol I am going to keep trying this. lol I like it!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  7:25:05 PM  Show Profile
If you just run your fingers through it, it won't fuzz up. Just wait until the second day, it loosens into waves and looks FANTASTIC!!!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  9:13:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try this :) My hair is a little longer than shoulder length (the longest it has been since I was in 4th grade!) I do have some wave but would like a little more. I like the idea of using my honey's discarded shirts for rags :) Thanks for posting Shari

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  3:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Got it Shari! lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Try This: Previous Topic Rag curlers! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page