Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  1:36:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a new blog post about making your own deodorant. I think it is more healthier to ware homemade then store bought. Plus I think the homemade is ALOT better then store bought. Here is the link... http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/yesterdays-farm-blog.html

Come and see what is happening at Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  3:07:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey there, Laura! Welcome!

I just posted the other day about using baking soda as deodorant - it's my new discovery and I love it!!!

In my post, though, I did warn about using anything with corn starch on the body. A few years ago I contracted MRSA. At the time I used cornstarch baby powder all over... my doctor had an absolute FIT about it! She said bacteria love to feed on cornstarch and that it should never be used on the body, ever. She said it's especially bad on diaper rash, under the arms and any area where we chafe. I never had a problem with it, but I stopped using it right away - just to be safe. MRSA was miserable and I wasn't taking any chances. I'm sure you are doing well in combining it with tea tree oil, though. I just felt I really should share this information with you, again, just to be safe. :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  3:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the recipe, I am game to try any new deo. ( I have a problem with staph, and when I use store bought deo. it makes it flare up- and staph in your underarm is NOT fun believe me!), I have found one product that is made in Germany that is very natural, but also very expensive- so I will give yours a try-Thanks!

......Born again Farmgirl

Edited by - plantcarazy on Jun 15 2011 3:35:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  3:50:31 PM  Show Profile
I mave been making one similar to Laura's, but add orange essential oil. That, combined with the smell of the coconut oil is divine!! Smells like an orange frosting. Yummo!
I did not know that about corn starch Nini. Hubs & I have used this for a couple of yrs with no problems. I add a combo of rosemary & peppermint oil to his for a more "manly" smell.
Go to Top of Page

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  5:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh. thanks Nini for telling me. So far I have not had no trouble with it at all.

Come and see what is happening at Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile
great to know
i heard the commercial brands cause breast cancer..
can you imagine if thats true and the company that sells it does not even care..
deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  8:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow Deborah I didnt even know this!! I am so glad I make my own deodorant!!!

Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  8:24:50 PM  Show Profile
I have often wondered about the breast cancer correlation....it kind of makes sense if you think of how much it seems to have increased over the years compared to how people used to conduct their hygeine (for example people didn't put stuff under their arms or shave there for that matter)....I wonder if we lost a 'protective barrier' of sorts.....

......Born again Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  04:32:21 AM  Show Profile
I have been using a recipe similiar to yours for about a year. I love it. I saved a boughten container, and pack the homemade deodorant in it. It can be soft, but I want to cut back a bit on the coconut oil and see if that helps. Totally agree on not staining my tops anymore.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  04:28:44 AM  Show Profile
Deborah, it's surprising how companies will sell things they know are dangerous. Hence the need for product liability lawyers!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2011 :  07:32:05 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to the recipe I use:

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/search/label/Sundries

I love how easy and cost efficient it is to make along with knowing what is in it :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

andwhathaveya
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Tiffany
Beckley WV
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  9:37:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh sheesh! I never even though about getting breast cancer from deoderant. If that is true, YIKES! Also, if baby powder is bad to use on diaper rash, what should I use on my daughter instead? I know it's a bit off subject, but you guys have me worried.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  2:15:30 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany
I would not get too worried about the deodorant causing cancer. I have yet to see any real proof of it.
That being said, hubs & I both use homemade
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  09:13:55 AM  Show Profile
remember the peanut butter cancer scare in the 1970's? they fed so much to the mice they got cancer so they had to tell the world about this...like do we really go thur gallons each week of peanut butter? I think the same is with the deodorant...if you are applying it ever 5 mins & never washing it off yes it will react with your body & build up.....Now a days everything supposeably causes cancer so please don't worry to much over this...I think the recipes you have all listed are really great & am thinking about trying to make some.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

herbalady
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lynn
Northford Connecticut
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile
I read that even the natural deoderants if they contain lavender, tea tree oil etc. can cause breast cancer b/c the lymph nodes in the armpits catch this stuff.
Here is a simple alternative I learned last year and love it:
Take a cotton round, pour some rubbing alcohol on it, dabbing this onto one armpit...repeat for the next.
Next dip your index finger in running water, then in baking soda..rub this on one armpit and repeat for the other.
After a couple of weeks, you only need the baking soda.
If it starts to not work after time, add the alcohol part again for a few weeks or so.
My husband even uses this method now and a couple of my daughters...haven't gotten the other daughters to try it yet.
Tiffany,as for the everyday baby powder, I make one for my herbal business using white clay, slippery elm bark powder & arrow root powder very simple. My chickweed salve works wonders for diaper rash.

Lynn

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your barefeet and the winds long to play with your hair"....Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  5:45:21 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, your blog is lovely. :)
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  7:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Since when did lavender & tea tree cause cancer??? Am I missing something???
Lavender is actually an EO that is recommended for BRCA. Tea tree is an anti fungal & antibacterial.
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Homemade Deodorant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page