sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  3:24:13 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever made and used rag curlers? I LOVE them! I have stick straight hair that is totally resistant to perms, curling irons, just about everything. So I made rag curlers, and I put them in after I wash my hair, and sleep on them. In the morning I have WAY curly hair. It stays in until I wash again. Just cut 1"x12" flannel strips, roll your hair up in them from the ends, and tie at the scalp.Note: if you try this, do not brush it unless you wanna look like Diana Ross. Just finger style.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  7:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Hee Hee thats funny we used to do that when I was little it does make really cool curls. I have five sisters so we had lots of fun. Mom would cut up old sheets. I should try it again. Thanks for reminding me.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  8:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh my sis and I did that too...I should try it again now, how fun!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  8:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh how funny! I have heard of it, but have never tried it. I will have to give it a go. My hair is so thick and coarse, that sleeping in sponger rollers does almost nothing and hot rollers makes it good and frizzy.
Thanks for sharing! :D
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  8:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
My Aunt use to do my hair up in rag curlers when I was a little girl. They also used Prince Albert cans, cut in about one inch strips. They would wrap the strips in strips of brown paper bag, then roll the hair up to the sclap and fold. No need for pins and the next morning, curls all over! That had to be hard on the hair and the head!

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  9:58:11 PM  Show Profile
The nice thing about them is you can sleep comfortably in them, and they do all the work while you dream away! I made a little patchwork drawstring bag for mine.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  10:12:13 PM  Show Profile
i was hopeing someone posted about this in here! I love, love, LOVE my rag curlers. mine are only about 8 inches long and work perfectly for me. my hair is naturally very poofy and big curls/really wavy and gets so frizzy. but using rags is like having my hair go to boot camp and getting yelled at by a drill sergent all night. Every little hair is in a group and no one is out of line. And they are all so sleek, not frizzy at all.

and did i mention they are cheap. like rediculously so? and soooo much more comfortable to sleep in then foam or plastic curlers. rags are genius. of course, my mother made fun of me the last time she came over and they were still in. I guess I did look silly since they are pink (but they match my favorite pj pants!)

oh i can't rave enough about these. cheap, awesome, comfortable, no drying out your hair with any kind of curler, straightener or blow dryer.

so great.

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  10:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
This may or may not be a dumb question but can you make them?
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  06:47:22 AM  Show Profile
Yep,
I remember them, use to do girlfriends straight hair and she was always impress at how well they worked

Simple to make just strips of cotton material nothin fancy.
long or short as you want - depends on how much hair you have. really dosn't matter how wide either. When your hairs all up ya look like a "picananny" doll... the point is they work!

Hugs,
Zens Goddess

Hugs,
Zens Goddess
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  09:37:14 AM  Show Profile
Mom used to put our hair up in rags, then when she took them out we had long "finger" curls...you know, like sauage curls...they were adorable!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  9:30:15 PM  Show Profile
I do my girl's hair in rag curlers now and then...more often when they were younger..oldest daughter likes hers really straight most of the time now. My grandma set my sister and my hair that way when I was little too. My hair is wavy now on it's own, but I love how it works for my girls...fun, cute and cheap.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  07:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Y'all have the best ideas! Okay, do you roll when your hair is wet? Or do you blow dry first?
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  08:19:04 AM  Show Profile
My hair has gotten quite long and the only way I can keep it decent is to wear a pony tail. I've taken to pincurls. They are easy to sleep on and I get a curl that lasts a few days. Trying to sleep in rollers is a real headache. Those rag rollers seem to be a good idea.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  08:45:40 AM  Show Profile
You roll them wet, preferably right before bed, and just sleep on them. And Betty, I have long hair too. When it's not curled, I braid two pigtails, and pin them across the top of my head. It looks so pretty! Plus my hair's out of the way when I'm working.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  6:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
HOW DO YOU ROLL THEM IN YOUR HAIR?
MAGGIE
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  6:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, you just start wrapping your hair around the piece of fabric. You just keep rolling it up like a regular curler till you get up to your head then tie the ends of the rag in a lose knot. Not to tight or it is hard to get them out. Misting your hair may make drying faster, the longer it is the longer it takes to dry. Mine is below my bum and would never dry if I rolled it wet. They make very loose curls and if I want long tight curls I use sponge rollers also. I take the foam roll off the hard plastic fasteners and using a knitting needle to push the rag through the foam core, them I roll it up the same and tie the rag at my head. I have the foam curlers in all 3 sizes and use whatever size for the curl I want.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  4:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Do you sew them, or how to do you keep them from fraying?

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  4:37:55 PM  Show Profile
I suppose you could sew them, but it's not necessary! They don't really fray that much. It all depends on how much time you wanna devote to making them I guess.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  5:17:12 PM  Show Profile
ok thanks.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  09:40:59 AM  Show Profile
Mom used pieces of sheet, it didn't ravel. she would start at the top, leaving a long piece, wind our hair around the rag, at the bottom she would then wrap the rag back up around to the top and tie with the long piece she left at the beginning. We had to hold the long piece at the top while she did the winding...
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  9:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh, this sounds so fun! Can't wait to try it.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  11:43:35 AM  Show Profile
I just had some old pink fabric, it was quilting fabric so it was some kind of blend, and I cut some stips. then wrapped my hair around the fabric like you would a regular curler and when I got to my scalp I tied them. I started with really wet hair and got really cute curls but it took forever to dry. My hair is only shoulder length but so darn thick. I think the amount of water in your hair dictates how tight the curls are, meaning: lightly damp hair very loose curls or big waves, to very wet hair giving you really tight ringlets.

I wish I could go back to last night and put my hair up, I want pretty curls now!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  06:33:42 AM  Show Profile
My daughters and I are going to try this. What a wonderful idea!
Warm wishes,
Tonya

Handmade Treasures - http://knittingmomma.etsy.com
Blog - http://www.homesteadblogger.com/naturalearthfarm
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  1:17:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad I saw this. My hair is pencil straight. It always has been and sometimes I hate it. I would LOVE to have some wave, some bounce, some curl! I tried perms in my teens and they never lasted or else they made my hair frizzy. I'll have to try this!

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  10:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
My mom wants to know If anyone remembers Spoolies?
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  9:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
wow, no one at all?
Maggie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Try This: Previous Topic Rag curlers! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page