therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  6:57:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey I discovered today that a CD is 4 1/2" in diameter -- makes perfect 2" yo-yo's. And it's sturdy to trace around. I have two done!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  7:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Wow...I don't have to wait to finish the tub of sour cream...hooray. I do have some old AOL cds around here somewhere that came in the mail!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  8:28:53 PM  Show Profile
One more yo-yo question and then I'm done for today. Do you all press the 1/4" around with an iron before you stitch? Or do you just turn under as you sew?

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  12:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Just turm 'em under as you sew, Kay. They are so forgiving it doesn't matter if they hot or miss the 1/4" mark exactly.

No one needs to iron any more than they have to!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  06:09:19 AM  Show Profile
wowzer .. a cd .. that sounds huge .. but then .. i'm used to making 'dolly' yo-yo quilts! and they do 'shrink down once you gather them up .. i can hardly wait to get started .. but MUST get all these dolly patterns mailed out first.

anyone started looking at 'nature' yet for their color schemes?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  10:34:54 AM  Show Profile
Girls,
I find that while making a yo yo, if I keep my stitches close to the fold and not the raw edge I don't need to fold the raw edge under. When I pull it into a yo yo it has a neat top.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Frannie, I have picked Blue as my earth color: because I am SO WONDERFULLY HAPPY to see blue skies again!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  1:34:38 PM  Show Profile
I PICK YELLOW BECAUSE IT BRIGHTENS EVERYTHING AROUND IT.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  2:44:47 PM  Show Profile
I pick green even though I won't see green for awhile yet here..I love the colors of both spring and fall..but this time of year I am thinking green!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  10:56:18 AM  Show Profile
Been making a few yo yo everyday, now that I figured out how to make a nicer edge, and use good thread they go right along. I still say they look more like little tiny shower caps then yo yo, but then they didn't have shower caps back when, so yo yo it is.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  11:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Count me in!!!

I pick green, because it means new growth & and awakening of spring!!

~~My Blog~~

Bridge's Bargains~Click to see
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  11:48:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm picking pink because that is the color of our sunsets and also the beautiful pink roses that I love!

-- Celia Thaxter

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  2:18:09 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane is calling them rosettes in her new stitching book...I think I like the sound of that too..sounds old timey.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  2:23:29 PM  Show Profile
all these wonderful nature shades .. our yo-yo quilties will look like little gardens. i'm real interested in hearing the story of yo-yo's being named rosettes .. don't think i've come across that term for them here in the east. i might google it to see what i can find. can hardly wait for MJ's sewing book!!!!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  11:03:47 PM  Show Profile
I have one of those yo yo clown dolls mentioned in another post. I also have a diamond shaped piece made of yo yo's, I will photograph them tomorrow and post the pics.
I'd also like to be in the yo yo exchange. Sage green is my color.
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  04:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Pam
looking forward to your pictures,who made your yo yo clown?
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

dgarnera
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Debra
Pine Grove CA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  08:34:31 AM  Show Profile
I would love to do a yo-yo quilt. I saw one used as a table cloth in Sleepless in Seattle and always thought that would be a cute way to use one. We just bought a 1940's style farm house in North Dakota- one would look lovely on our table- in our new diningroom..
blessings,debra

Joyful momma of 5 plus 1 in the oven..
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  3:51:44 PM  Show Profile
Here are two photos of what I have:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/photobugspjt/album?.dir=/bd72&.src=ph&.tok=phj1RZEBe5vN6NfU

The first is of a yo yo clown. I got him at a yard sale last summer Nancy, so I do not know who made him. But he is vintage.
The second photo is of a bunch of yo yo's sewn together to make a dresser scarf, maybe?? Ot maybe it was the beginning of a quilt coverlet. I got it at a yard sale too, so I have no history on it.
It looks like they got it part way done and never finished it. I do have vintage fabrics and someday maybe I will get around to adding onto it.
I think I need to learn how to post photos right on the page I am writing on. If I get that down I can repost these photos.
Let me know if you can view them. Thanks, farmgirls.
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  6:12:11 PM  Show Profile
Pam
Yes I could see the pictures, good job, I don't know how to do that, have to work on it. Those were good yard sale finds, I can hardly wait until warm weather and the sales start up again, always room for one more thing!!
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  9:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Nancy, sent you an email requesting your address for the Yo Yo flag project,hope you got it!!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  10:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Frannie
Did you know your yo yo quilt that you showed us hanging on your clothsline on this site is on google. I typed yo yo quilts and the first site that came up , there was your quilt.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile
OK I checked again, its on the second page, after you type in yo yo quilts.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  3:58:22 PM  Show Profile
nancy .. i can't find it .. .looked on the first and second pages after i googled. HALP! i'd love to find it! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  4:14:14 PM  Show Profile
I cut out a whole stack of yo yo ( or rosette) circles today...to keep in my car for those "waiting" times when I need something to do...much more productive than reading a magazine..which I tend to do if I don't have a project along. I did all '30's repro fabrics tht I love..nothing in mind for them yet..just want to get to making them. I like the idea of a tablecloth too..that would be fun..or just a runner we will see.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  4:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I just found the topic that Nancy is talking about. Just Google 'yoyo quilts' and it's about the 7th topic listed. It says Mary Janes Farmgirl Connection and comes up with the Stitching Room and page one of the yoyo topic. Let me know if you find it. Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic yo yo quilt Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page