True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  6:09:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

I am so sorry it has been hard times for you! Did your arm heal? Hope things are going better now! *hugs*

Yes, Alee, my broken right wrist did eventually heal. It took such a long time -- 8 weeks in different casts, then 12 weeks of physical therapy. My vegetable garden suffered, and so did my income -- hard to be a computer graphics person with just a left hand. Also, my truck is manual transmission and for most of the time I was incapacitated, I could only drive it by reaching across with my left hand to shift. Scary dangerous!

New wrist, new year, new Victory Garden. I finally got my sugar snaps in today and got the rest of the garden shipshape for planting. I discovered asparagus spears up and ready to be broken off for tomorrow night's supper! Only one spear per plant so far, but I only started the asparagus bed last year and I'm told it takes about three years for asparagus to really take off. Strawberry plants overwintered nicely. Maybe this year I'll actually get edible strawberries! Also, I dug up parsnips that I left in the ground to overwinter; they're supposed to like that, and are sweeter for it. We'll see tomorrow, with the asparagus :-) A whole plot of lettuce babies volunteered from last year. What an absolute miracle vegetables are!

Mara
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  6:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great Mara! Nora has been helping me prepare and plant our garden. She "helpfully" dug up some seeds we planted yesterday and they had already split and were getting ready to send up some shoots! I am so excited!

Some green beans went in today and tomorrow should be some carrots and radishes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  10:11:01 AM  Show Profile
We had a class, Your Victory Garden at our church in Feb. I put together a full resource packet. If you would like a copy, just email me & I'll email it as a word attachment.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:05:15 AM  Show Profile
Kristine - I just e-mailed you - thank you so much for offering to share with the farmgirls!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

miraclewelsh
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Samantha
Northern Wisconsin
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  8:46:47 PM  Show Profile
There's a really nice article on Victory Gardens in the May/June 2009 issue of Hobby Farm Home magazine. Check out the article online at this link: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/crops-and-gardening/victory-gardens.aspx

Miracle Welsh Mountain Ponies

http://www.miraclewelsh.com
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  1:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Okay girls, I got my plot saturday and cleaned two of the four sections. Boy, I am out of shape. The exercise felt so good. I am hoping to get pictures started, but a rainstorm hit so I am at home knitting a prayer shaw. I am so excited about having my own plot in an orginal victory garden that was started in the 40's. I am a very beginner gardner and I did get the Victory Garden book and YES it is wonderful. So this city girl is a farmer now.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Suzie!! I hope you have a great garden
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  7:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome!

My garden is showing signs of grassy weeds! I need to get out there and really get it weeded and planted... I now have a trip coming up at the end of May and of course the Farm Fair in July! So I have got to get my garden really strong and set up in the next 30 days!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  8:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I think this is a great idea. I am chomping at the bit as I can't plant anything right now with my house on the market. I am hoping it sells soon so that I can move and get a garden of some kind going this year.

Alee, I always had my 3 girls in the garden with me while they were at home. It has paid off as they have some form of a garden, even if it is in pots. I also would plant fun veggies, flashing lights swiss chard, purple carrots and such. They love the fun colors, though they didn't like eating the swiss chard.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  07:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's a good idea Julia! I let Nora scratch and dig in the garden- just as long as she doesn't dig up my seeds! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Jonquil
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

pam
nashville tn
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  10:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Jonquil a Yahoo! Message
I love the book Square Foot Gardening. So much can by grown in just a 3 foot square box, with less water and less weeding. It can even be done indoors with most plants! Here's the link to the book by http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ by Mel Bartholomew. One thing I really like about it is if a person has mobility problems it can be altered to be taller, rest on a table, or fit an odd space. I'm hooked on it!

jonquil

A starry sky is the best roof.
Go to Top of Page

paintnpencils
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

jessica
glen rock pa
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  6:11:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a suggestion to help with the grass weeds, or any weeds. I save all my newspapers and lay them down around the plants, and heap 3-4 inches of fresh grass clippings all over the newspapers, I even do that to my walkways. It keeps the weeds down to almost none and helps the ground retain moisture! usually by fall or winter the paper has disolved or goes into the ground. I don't recomend using the slick coupon pages or advertisements because they have more ink and coatings on the paper. This was suggested to me by a an organic gardener I was taking a class with. I have not had any problems with this method. I just started laying paper and clippings around my tomatoes today!

each day is a new oportunity to create,improve, expand, and share.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  7:26:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm doing that same thing only with straw Jessica - it is working great. We have been inundated with weeds every year - I still have them but it is so much easier to pull them when they are not deeply rooted.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  8:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I shudder to think what my garden is going to look like by the time I get home!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  11:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Ewww Alee, with all this rain we are having? You are gonna be busy!

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile
How has the weather been treating all you girls? We had more rain in May than I can ever remember -- kind of set me back a bit in getting things into the ground, (hand, of course)-tilling, weeding and whatnot. We seem to be off and running now, though!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  12:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am not sure if Montana has had as much rain, but I know my husband has been watering- but not weeding! If he weeded my garden I would be completely flabergasted!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Victory Garden Plans Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: