cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the magazine included content about teaching kids about organics and other farmgirl-friendly topics? Instead of "homeschooling", MJ could call it "farmschooling" and much like what she does at the farm with teaching kids about organics and farming, it would great to experience an extension of that for those of us who cannot visit the farm. Teaching the next generation about organics, as well as many of the other ideas taught by MJ, is so important. This younger generation is so open to new ideas and are like little sponges when it comes to learning about nature! Many of the kids in our homeschool group are doing things like learning to knit, to cook, to camp, to grow gardens. It would be great if MJ could share with us farmgirls the way she teaches younger kids about the farmgirl ideals.

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:14:24 AM  Show Profile
That is a really fun idea! When I have kids, I really want to teach them that these kinds of things are important. :)

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's a good idea, Rachael. Have you read her Outpost Book? It has lots of good ideas on how to include kids in the out doors.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  12:50:10 PM  Show Profile
WOW! What a great idea! It could even be an entire book unto itself - how we can learn not only farming, gardening and home lessons but life lessons and a buncha' other things on a farm, too. I can SO see how this would be a "not for kids only" thing. I love it!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  2:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Rachael, you really should be charging for these ideas. You are just pumping great ideas out like clockwork or like an idea machine or something. You are the go-to person for ideas!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  3:14:27 PM  Show Profile
I think it is a great idea too. Though my girls are grown, it is time to teach my grandson the joys of gardening, not just getting dirty. Bean poles teepees, sitting in the garden eating peas right off the vine, what I always called, "peaing in the garden", the ideas are endless. Good on you, Rachael!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:07:04 PM  Show Profile
I guess this is what we have done with our 7 children over the years. Tomorrow we are finishing building some raised beds & planting thorn-less blackberries. We do as the "season" requires and work the "school work" around it. ie.-canning is done while we listen to audio books & talk about them, gardening is botany lessons, raising & butchering animals is biology, planning shopping is part of economics, etc. The home lessons are real life learning and a practical way to live and learn.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm running with it, Rachael. Brilliant idea. If everyone keeps posting on this thread, it's sure to end up on paper somehow, either in our magazines or books. Children are our future and really, so are farms, so we need to make sure we're bringin' our kiddos up right. Farmschooling. Love it! In the magazine issue we just sent to the printer last week, we included cute ideas for Nature Bingo and a Go Fish family game. Keep the ideas coming!!!!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

P.S. And Libbie, I know where I can get pics of some handsome little farmboys!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora's already graduated from "Worms 101" She thinks they are neat and always wants me to put them on her palms. When we are working in the garden she points them out and says "oooms!"

She does need some help on the horse/cow differences. She calls horses 'cows' LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  1:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love this idea....
Here's a couple suggestions while we wait..........

For a little lesson for moms, In the interview of MaryJane and Meg on farmgirl Univercity, Meg talks about all learned by watching her mom do it day in and day out. Walking the walk. Meg goes on to say,that she had no idea the way they lived wasnt the norm, as it certainly was normal to them. to view it please go here...http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/video-library.asp

Also, in some of the back issues of the Magazine/catalog MaryJane shares the stories of her childhood and learning from her dad and mom. As a mom myself and I am learning that it isnt so much what kids are taught that takes hold, but rather what is caught... What are you being "caught" doing? I love these stories and they are so fertile in assisting in how we can start our own roots.

Also, Please check out http://www.oviesdigs.com/ it is the children's page at organic Valley, it is so cute and would be a good start for kids actvities...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  9:11:33 PM  Show Profile
I am glad that others like the idea too!

I think kids need to learn that things don't need to be new to be lovely, that food comes from SOMEWHERE, and that hard work pays. Your magazines show my boys all of these things (and I am setting an example by reading it in front of them LOL)

Nikki, thanks for the compliment! And Maryjane, so glad to give back to your magazine which has brought me much happiness!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so today (and the past few weeks) we have been learning the farm-lesson/life-lesson of timeliness. Now, just because the weather has been lousy, and I've been a bit under it, doesn't mean that the seeds that need to be started can wait. They can't be planted in a month with my same expectation of timely harvest. It's all a rhythm - you can't rush it and you can't "catch up;" you've just gotta jump in where "it" is. I can spend HOURS (and, yes, I admit, I have...) dreaming and fretting about what I should've done last fall, and I can spend the same number of hours (yep - done that, too) daydreaming about what I'm going to do tomorrow...when it's not so overcast...when the dishes are done...when... Yet, really, what I'd best be doing is taking a thorough assessment of the current situation, and doing what needs to be done now.

Okay, now why do I keep needing to learn that lesson?!?!?!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  5:04:05 PM  Show Profile
I always had my girls hands in the dirt and in the kitchen. One year I planted all kinds of fun veggies, like 'flashing lights' swiss chard, purple carrots and such. It made eating veggies more enjoyable. The girls always had the own piece of earth to plant and dig in. My mom always sent them seeds at Easter that they would plant and tend.
They learned about watching the weather, when the best time to plant was and such. I always loved having my girls along side me in the garden. Now that 2 of the are out of the house and married, they are finding the joys of gardening for themselves, even though one of them lives in an apartment, she still has pots of plants to enjoy. It is all so lovely!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  5:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Libbie- you and I are in the same boat! I decided that I had better get going or I am going to have to buy all my starts from the nursery!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  07:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone~ Loooooooooooooooove this.
I have created in our area a teen enrichment program for the summer that is all about being simple, "checking" back in to what's real, and of course organic gardening. I have all kinds of local professionals helping and giving workshops from their hearts.We have a chef, mj farmgirls,local businesses, the library, yoga instructors, self image consultants,artists,master gardners, ect. all donating time to help our girls be real to themselves, learn basic skills, and grow to be strong loving women.My dream is to bring a group to dirt camp someday :)
I have used a lot of the threads on MJ to get ideas for a lot of the different workshops we created. Maybe a journal would be good idea and I could pass on the experiences with you all on this thread.

Wish us a big Farmgirl cluck !!!!!!!

Heather
LoveChics of Loveland Colorado
Farmgirl #550

love, light, & laughter
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  07:54:14 AM  Show Profile
That sounds awesome Heather, I would love that. Your program sounds really neat. Any homeschoolers in your area that participate? Wish you were here, we'd be making a road trip-- I mean field trip! :)

rachael

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  08:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Yes, a few home schoolers right now. This is the first summer so I'm hoping by next year word of mouth will get this so a lot more girls will be psyched and come join in !!!!!!

Heather
Farmgirl #550

love, light, & laughter
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  12:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think as Kristine pointed out that learning lessons now for our kids is so important- they are real life lessons. It scares me to think that kids today have less of a connection with the earth. Many don't know where their food comes from or what it takes to produce it. IF they don't know what it takes to produce the food, how can we expect them to make informed decisions in the future.

One of my greatest joys is watching my daughter run outside and strip off her shoes so she can run bare foot through the garden. The pure joy of having mud between your toes is something that no child should do without.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  1:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Raise our cups to " Mud between our toes" :) Great name for the garden part of our workshop this summer .... thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!!!!

Heather
Farmgirl #550

love, light, & laughter
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  9:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
This is such a great idea! I would love to see something like this. We live on a tiny homestead (about 6 acres) and we 'unschool' (a child-led type of homeschooling). It makes for a glorious, joy-filled life.

My living blog shares lots of stuff we do every day (like visiting the cattail pond) and my farming blog shares homesteading/farming related stuff (soon we'll have a post on eating cattails - they're starting to grow!) like goat milking and gardening.

Just last week I did a "Farmgirl ABCs" post on my farming blog that was a lot of fun and a great idea for farmschoolers to do - besides the obvious letter learning, it really gets you looking closer at everything on your farm. http://localfoodblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/farmgirls-abcs.html

Oh, and here's a bean teepee we made last year. Hopefully this year it'll be more full. http://localfoodblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/bean-teepee.html

I would *love* to help out with this. Let me know if I can!

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  05:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely !!!!!!!!! When I get the weeks and particular workshops I'll put them out here for feedback and ideas to keep creating. I love to throw ideas out and then watch them grow with the strengths of others :) It's an amazing process and the best ideas always come from a common passion.

Heather
Farmgirl #550

love, light, & laughter
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- Cool! What a fun name for a workshop! I think that inspires me to spend more barefoot time in my garden...or it would if this rain/snow mix would ever stop and let the sun come out!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  6:41:17 PM  Show Profile
Love the "mud between the toes" idea. Sounds like a lot of fun! My boys are grown also; but I'm still trying to teach them and learning myself. I think this would be a great book idea! Have to agree with MaryJane, Libbie's boys are really cute farmboys!

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  8:20:07 PM  Show Profile
I think they're pretty cute, myself! But then... if your MAMA doesn't think you're cute...

I just love this idea -- I mean LOVE it! I can't stop thinking about it at all...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  8:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone- just thought I'd drop in an update. Things are going extremely well with the girls enrichment programs for the summer. We have so far a self image and awareness workshop. recycle reuse ReFashionsita workshop, Mud Between your Toes organic gardening workshop, cook outside the "box" workshop ( cooking with nothing but fresh produce and nothing from a box), You pick your Frosting workshop ( this teaches the girls pastry baking which they will then take to farmers market and sell) so business development math and a little courage to know that you pick your frosting in life:) There are also several workshops where the girls are the teachers for the younger kids in the neighborhood. We are producing casting and designing a whole play with a few college girls from the area ... The whole community has jumped in and it is really taking off. I will continue with the progression and let you all know how it is going.
Wish us cluck and now raise a cup of dandelion wine to the Future of Farm girls at heart :)

Heather
Farmgirl #550

Don't die with your music in you ... not no way not no how!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  07:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Heather! That is awesome! It sounds like you have and awesome program going! Please take lots of photos!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic farmschooling Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: