True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  7:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone!

Well my garden is done too, Dawn but I haven't done as much as you to prepare for next year! And we are supposed to get 8 inches of snow!! ACK!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  12:44:59 AM  Show Profile
we had some rain here today. I still have some bean plants going in the raised beds..I expect to be able to start harvesting them all by the end of the month here. Then I'll be done with any gardening for this year as well..other than trying to save potted plants through the winter that are in my court yard area..but they are all clustered together and its rather easy to toss a blanket or two over all of them if the weather gets too cold.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  09:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
My garden is still going strong, a few more weeks I would guess. I planted the cold frames so I am anticipating lettuce, spinach etc for the winter. I need to go string up a light to the hen house as the nights are coming sooner and staying longer. How do you all feel about artificial lighting on the hens during the winter? I am sort of torn. I know that they wont lay if they dont have it, but then... is it normal for them to have that winter break? any thoughts?

The wind has been just wild here. time to harvest the sunflowers before I have sunflowers cropping up everywhere next spring.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  10:23:27 AM  Show Profile
I think that the whole Idea of chickens is Eggs they are fun but really either eggs or dumplins.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  11:12:15 AM  Show Profile
I put artificial light on my girls. But I sell a lot of eggs too. I do it so that the transition from daylight savings time is a little easier. I turn the lights on around 9 am and off at 7-8pm. I still am getting less eggs, but not as little as what I think i'd be getting. Sorry so short... still on the crap end of the flu...later...

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  12:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I use lights for my hens in winter so I can get some eggs and also to keep them from getting too cold. Depending on what the temp is I will set a timer for a few hours in late afternoon to usually 10 pm. I just don't want to have to buy eggs while I'm feeding hens.
My garden days are done for this year. Just have to put straw around my plants and put up stuff. We had our first snow yesterday. YUK! That's probably gonna mean 8 months of winter.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  1:56:51 PM  Show Profile
We have a light timer in the chicken house and almost always have 14 hours of light on our chickens. My theory is way back when, before "chicken feed" the chickens had to forage for their food and since there was less in the winter to forage nature had to save some of their energy somehow. Since my chickens don't have to forage to live, because there is always a supply of food some where for them I feel they can put forth a little effort and give me eggs during the winter!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  2:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
thanks girls this helps so much.....

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile
that's an interesting convo on the chickens & their laying...not having chickens (yet!) I would have never even given that a thought! interesting stuff, gals!

okay....DeereDawn's Harvest Chili Cookout is coming up very soon! Which farmgirls are planning to make it? Marcy Jo? You still planning to come for the weekend? Lora? You coming again this weekend? Anyone else? If you're planning to come, please send me a quick email...(I have FarmGirl SURPRISES!!! and wanna make sure I've planned accordingly!) Thanks!

Happy Wednesday!

June
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  2:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens, just a quick note. Nice to see all of you here. Dawn I will get your fall swap sent asap, I've been in Cheney taking care of my daughter and granddaughter and I've got a cold that is kickin' my behind into LAST week, so as soon as I can get back into the fray I'll get it done and sent it. Fall is here. Frost took what was left of garden, chickens growing, as soon as I get over this cold, life will be good, lol. Take care.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  10:10:30 AM  Show Profile
Hope you are feeling all better by now, Teresa Sue!

Looks like none of the Mavens are planning to make it to Dawn's Harvest event? bummer :-(

We're busy preparing for the holiday season here! Hope all is well with each of you...

June
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  05:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens
Hope everyone is enjoying the fall because it's falling into winter soon.

First of all, I want to wish Lora HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Second, I want to thank you again Amy Grace for the Heirloom French Rat Tail potatoe seed you gave me in the spring. You know, I looked at those when I was trying to decide what I wanted for potatoe seed and I didn't order them because I thought they would be too little to mess with.....well, some of them are kinda little, but I'm here to tell you they are delish! I had asked Corinne how the French fix them and she told me they just roast them and eat them with a little butter. Well, yesterday I dug all my potatoes and I thought I might as well try them out. I cleaned a few, put them in one of my little cast iron skillets and baked them. When they were done, I put a little butter on them and my they were fantastic, especially the bottom of the potatoe where the skin was a little crispy from being in contact with the skillet, I would def plant them again!!!!

I've been busy, busy. Almost have the garden cleaned up. Yesterday I pulled all the tomatoe vines, cleaned out the flower garden, dug the potatoes, and planted and mulched my garlic.

I'm already plotting and planning next years garden!

Just a reminder~Only 11 days to get the mini aprons to me .

Have a sparkley day dears.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Oct 20 2009 08:19:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mavens- QM Dawn is stepping down as I am sure you all know, but we haven't seen anyone being nominated. Soooo...I would like to Nominate Teresa Sue if she would accept the nomination? Teresa Sue- you have an incredible energy, the Mavens mean a lot to, you always have a great project lined up, and you are great at organization!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  07:56:38 AM  Show Profile
I will second if she is a willing.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  08:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Me Too! TS, you would be a great Maven queen!
Dawn is up to her ears in whoopie pies right now =P
Sorry, I've been so scarce these past months, I'm starting to get my health back and have been having more energy lately. Now I'm up and ready to do a few projects again. First of all, I need to learn how to use a ding blasted sewing machine!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I will have to think about it. What exactly are a Queen's duties and do we need more people nominated and voting?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  10:56:40 AM  Show Profile
TS, I hope to heavens that you don't do it if you don't want to! But, that being said, I am trying to be a Maven again as well as get my little Mud Hens chapter up and running.. I try to bring important news bits that concern the group, organize swaps, present crafts that we may like to do, work on badges, read books together, share recipes, hold contests...oh just what ever you can think of to engage the Mavens in fun and useful activities.I also like to do seasonal things and keep track of birthdays.
I can't help you on voting or nominating, I think that Alee, or Rene would be a good person to contact if you are really thinking this over and considering it =)

*hugs*
I hope that this helps a teensy bit

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  1:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Annika for your words of wisdom. Also thank you Alee and Diana for your votes of confidence. I have thought about it and while I am very flattered and humbled by your faith in me, I have to decline the offer. I am at a point in my life where I am really figuring out just what my path is to be for the remainder of my time on our beautiful blue planet and as fun as it might be to become QMTS, I can't get sidetracked. Best wishes to all of you.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good, Teresa Sue! I can certainly understand that!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  5:44:08 PM  Show Profile
I understand Teresa Sue - it is good to hear from you though and I'm glad you like the potatoes.
Here is my question - I know for the henhouse organization sake we need a chapter leader but do we really need a new queen? Could anyone else really be queen for that matter?
Dawn did a fabulous job of heralding all of our energy for the first year of our existence but she - and it seems all of us - are heading in different directions. I love keeping in touch with all of you and I love the energy generated in our discussions. Couldn't we just keep in touch in the henhouse without anyone really needing to take on responsibility? Just a thought.....
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  8:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good, Teresa Sue! I can certainly understand that!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  9:28:10 PM  Show Profile
I can understand this too because I know my life has gotten a lot busier lately and from the looks of it it seems everyone else's has too. We all still have the same passion for preserving and growing seeds so perhaps we can just share that passion in discussion with each other as our lives permit.
Causes less stress on folks that way.I'm for the K.I.S.S. method...ha
Hope everyone has a good week!

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  07:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I, for one, havent been to worried about the lack of posting during the summer as I took it to mean that we were/are "out doing" what we set out to do. I can certainly tell you that my world has changed. I love the mavens it is who I have become.... to the core...it is what I am living every day. Our local chapter of farmgirls are growing everyday and we are making a difference in our community and in the lives of those that are involved.... and I KNOW that, in part, is what we all wanted back when we started this little thing called Mavens. I support anyone who wants to jump in and try to keep these chickas going, but I also know that with the job that Dawn did.. they are HUGE shoes to fill... I would also support No ONE leader.. we have all been around the maven block and we have all lead in one way or another.... The fact that we had a GREAT QUEEN that helped us navigate the way early on...... also helped us to develope really strong princesses... goddesses... and we couldnt have done it without each other....

I think it is natural that in the conception stages we were more chatty.... Now that we are Walking the walk... well, more of our time is in the walking and less in the talking. I do think that with winter coming the chatting will pick up and so will the projects.... I am extremely proud of this group of farmgirls and anxiously await to see where the path takes us next..... and what cream of the crop rises to the top....

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello my Maven friends!

It feels like I've been away for years. So much is going on here with our group. I can tell that things have been so very busy for all of us and there have been changes in all of our lives. I am looking forward to quieter times so I can visit and chat and have a cup of tea with my maven friends. I agree with what has been discussed thus far for a leader.

We are busy with our day to day. Homeschooling is getting done each day but it is tough at times. I need to learn when to let some things go and not expect everything to be perfect. It keeps us busy each day along with teaching my daughter to drive. That is so scary. They grow so fast and I still can't believe that she is getting in the driver's seat and learning to drive. It won't be long before she is on her way to college. Last weekend she took her PSAT's. She is having a very difficult time finding a job in this economy. No one is hiring teenagers when there are adults willing to take the job.
I have been busy with crocheting and sewing. I have finished a costume for my son. Sewed new curtains for the bathroom from some fabric someone gave me and crocheted a blanket for my daughter along with some other fun small things I've worked on. I hope everyone is well. Miss you all.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  09:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ruth!

Sounds like you have been very busy! I hope your daughter finds a job. Too bad you don't live closer to us. It seems there are still a lot of jobs in Montana, or at least in my area of it! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: