jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  7:56:11 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited. Tonight my neice gave me a bag of tomatoes grown from heirloom seeds belonging to her Amish grandmother 60 years ago. She told me how to cut a tomato, dry the seeds and keep them for next year. I am so excited. These are the first honest to goodness heirloom seeds I have had.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  06:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful gift she has entrusted to you!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
That really is a treasured gift that you now can help keep going for many more years to come. I hope to try my hand at saving my heirloom seeds this year for the first time also. What a great gift from your neice. Best of luck.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:29:39 AM  Show Profile
Very cool. I saved seeds last year and this year the maters are doing great!

Today hubby has the day off so we are going out 'gallavanting'. I just wanna be up in my sewie room but noooooooo...... oh well, at least I get a free lunch out of this!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jeannie~ Way cool~

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile
seriously no ones been around here since the 18th? Oi vey....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  10:21:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn - How are you, my friend?! Hopefully eveyone else is just tending to their gardens and canning or whatever thats why they are not on here so much!

I read your posts all the time and you really crack me up, you, truly, should be a comeadian! (spell?)

Sue Feely
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:40:48 PM  Show Profile
beans planted yesterday..Fall weather is definitely here..so lovely feeling outside..not too hot..nice breeze and in the upper 70's..this is the kind of weather I can handle..love it!
Anyhow 4 types of beans planted yesterday/they are fast growers/Provider, Royal Burgundy, Jackson Wonder Butterbean, and Queen Anne Black Eye Pea...all heirlooms.:0)
hope all is going well with everyone.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  6:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I left for the weekend. Boy it was so nice to get away.. No phones no computer, just fresh mountain air..ahhhhh!

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  06:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens, well......I have found a way to get rid of the whalezinni and there is no grating involved, lol. My chickens LOVE them. I'm still in the process of figuring out who is who in the chicken world and which ones are roosters. Some of them are blatenly roos, but some of them......hmmmm.....we'll see.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  06:12:05 AM  Show Profile
I Have a volkswagen sized zuccini and I have been giving compost tea every other day to see just how big I can get it. Then it goes to the Fair. It will be a blue ribbon for sure.

Good morning Teresa Sue.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  06:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
good morning Diana, did you see that I posted that I got your aprons? Did you know you sent too many? They are just darling!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  06:34:32 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering where they got to I must have just gathered them up and off they went.
Sorry

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  07:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Mavens - just reading through the last few posts. Diana, would you be able to post a pic just before you enter your zucchini or let us know how much it weighs?

Sue Feely
Sister #349
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  07:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning Mavens~
Sounds like everyone is busy with all kinds of fall activities. Me too. My kids have thier 1st day of school today.. so that feels weird...

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  07:55:57 AM  Show Profile
I will post a picture fair is over 9/20 when It has that Blue ribbon on it then it will go to the Chickens. I have so much frozen canned and pureed that the girls will get a great big treat.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  08:13:47 AM  Show Profile
TS: where in the hello have you been? Dont' freak me out like that!!
Diana: I cannot wait to see the pic of the zuke. Mine did not do well at all this year... weird because I usually have whalezinni's too.

I'm an inundated with corn and tomatoes. That has pretty much been my life for the past week. The girls are doing great. Audrey is back in school and hopefully will be sleeping more than partying. I am getting ready for my dad's retirement bash and then June and my's onslaught of craft shows...which I've made just about....nothing for yet.

Gotta get back to being a real farmgirl ladies....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  08:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Whaddya mean, where have I been? Where have YOU been???? I'm going to have some chicken questions for you. I still can't figure out what breed some of my chickens are, and then there is the roo quandray, lol
So Diana, do you need me to send some of those aprons back now, or just when I send the bunch of them?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Aug 25 2009 08:30:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  08:41:16 AM  Show Profile
Hello all. Sounds like everyone's started gardening all over again. I am this week. Going to til and plant more beans, brocolli, cabbage, greens and brussel sprouts. It's the perfect weather.

Teresa Sue, I have 6 roos in a stall ready to butcher. I'm trying to fatten them up right now. They are big. And I found my other hen that was missing. She's out in the weed garden setting on 15 eggs. Darn banty hens. That's all they do is set. And here I had to go buy eggs last week. The other hen and her 2 babies are gone. And the 5 chicks that are left from this last hatch are doing well. I think I might have 2 hens in this bunch. We'll see. The roos will have to join the other guys soon.

I need to start aprons. Will ya'll wait on me? When is the dead line again?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  08:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Send them back with the others when the swap is done the envelope is already weighted for the extras.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  1:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Okay Diana.
Kris the deadline is the last day of October to send them to me. Yea, I have to do the French Revolution on my roos too, lol. I'm still not sure how many hens I have, mine are only about a week shy of being two months old.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  03:30:20 AM  Show Profile
hello eveyone...sounds like everyone is busy busy..me too

went out of town for the weekend...got back and my moms house flooded so have been here since..rescued a chocolate lab from the parking lot of DQ monday...someone oulled up and dumped him...so of course...farmgirl to the rescue!! SOOOOOOO sad, I took him to the vet...he was too infested with heartworms and intestinal parasites to save, and he was still young! It broke my heart, but I had to do what was right. People who take on a pet, then do not properly care for it, to the point of abuse....MAKE ME SICK! So I was the one who had to be with him when he went to heaven..a stranger to him. Absolutely HEARTBREAKING! Then, I got offered a job..the tech sent the practice manager in to talk to me...I filled out the application...and I had a 2 hour interview yesterday...I am supposed to hear from them today...I sit here at 5 am wondering.."What the L am I thinking?"...lol. I miss the environment of a fast paced,, stressful and fullfilling job like a vet tech...but I have also been a stay at home mom for 5 years...lol...Am I going to be as good of a tech as I used to be, or am I gonna suck? Are my kids gonna be ok in daycare? Am I ready to just jump up and go back to work full time if I really don't need to?....oiy! Oh..and who is gonna do my laundry and clean my house and tend my garden???...lol

Tee-Hee...I know women everywhere do it...I just don't know how I'm gonna do it...lol...work 40 hours a week outside the home and still take care of my home...it's foreign to me...humph... I guess we'll just have to wait and see...I mean...I dont even HAVE the job yet...so I guess I should quit stressin', huh? lol

But ya'll know what? Being in that clinic for 2 hours yesterday, really made me realize how much I miss the animals, and the company of others who share all the same passions for them! If it is meant to be it will be ....I guess...LOL

I'm waiting for my spring chicks to start laying...if I remember correctly, it should be anytime now! My baby boy is gonna be 3 in just a couple of weeks!! OIY!! Time flies!!

Dawn... I have your drawer knobs!!!! I got ya 30, so you'll have a couple extra...now, I just need to mail you the dam*ed box of STUFF!!!!!!! ROFL...there are a few things in it I think you're gonna love!!!!......ROFL...oh, and a coupon for Free glue sticks for life...LMAO!!!!! Giggle giggle snort SNORT!!!!!!!!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  05:35:48 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes I just shake my head at how blessed I am to have friends like you.
Lord, I've been so busy. The market, the harvest. Trying to stay in touch here. Trying to see family. I still have not conquered canning. My peaches and peppers canned fine, but I keep ruining the tomatoes. The lids keep warping on me. I'm just about ready to 'can' it. haha..
TS: you know I'm only a phone call away. Or an email.
I cannot believe how fast summer has went. Next wknd will be Labor Day already. I have decided to not do any fall planting as I'm already in over my head with what I have. Plus I have so much going on in October that I can't even imagine harvesting more.
My pumpkins are coming along wonderfully, and i cannot wait to have all those big bursts of orange around the farm. I've alredy strted decorating for fall inside the house with a bunch of sunflowers.
Remember my hand thing? well its not getting any better. I've went to dr's and the only choice left is surgery which we cannot afford. I probably have permanent nerve damage in my neck which is causing my hands to go painfully numb. So far its taken me about 20minutes to write this.

Okay all, I have to drag myself back to the kitchen. Its do or die day with tomatoes. They are rotting faster than I can put them up. Thats what I get for planting 42 tomato plants.......

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  06:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, why don't you just try freezing the tomatoes? So much easier. Someone else was having a problem with some new silver lids not sealing for her. That's way too much work for them not to seal. I am so sorry you're having so much problems with your hands and neck. Isn't there a clinic you could go to that might help? I just hate people can't afford to have things done because it's so darn expensive. My DD went to the gyno several months ago and her insc. won't pay anything on a well checkup. Almost $1000 she has to pay now. That's why I don't get mammograms anymore. Our insc. doesn't pay a cent. I hope you can find someone to help you soon.

Kelly, that is so sad about the dog. I'm so glad you were there for him. Poor thing. I rescued a lab years ago, too. Had him for years. He bit a little girl while we were on vacation and had to put him down. Darn dog. I don't know why yellow labs are so viscious for us. The one we have now is great with us but another dog comes near, he'll try to kill it. I hope you figure out what to do with the job situation.

I am still waiting on all my new girls to start laying. They are all about 4 months now. I need some eggs here. I still get 2 every day from my Americana and Welsummer. I think next year I'm getting more Welsummers. They are great hens. She sticks around the hen house, too. All the others wander all over. But not her. I need to get the roos in the freezer but want to wait til it cools off a little more.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  07:12:40 AM  Show Profile
woo wee! I guess all of us mavens are super duper busy still,,,,hope everyone is doing good! Still haven't heard anything about a second interview...my instincts tell me that 3 days later, I'm probably no longer a candidate for one of the 2 posistions.....but then again, a friend of mine had a really great interview one time, but didn't hear back from the company........until 2 WEEKS later!!!! And of course, she got the job...so I guess I'll try to be a bit more patient...arg!!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page