deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile
I miss you all soooooo much. Work is NUTTY!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  4:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
We miss you too Dawn!!! Just popping in to refill your teacups, still don't have any cookies baked, maybe tomarrow, how about a sour gummy worm?(Grandson's fav, lol) Don't know when I'll get to pop back in with the g-bees here. When they aren't on the computer, they are keeping me busy, busy! Later, gaters

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  4:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I forgot the quote of the day, here it is:

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." GEORGE ELIOT

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  6:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies!

My back is better today! I also finished cleaning the old house so I am happy! Got lots done!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  7:50:12 PM  Show Profile
I like that last quote Teresa Sue - I too have a busy week lined up next week but after that lets do it!!
I planted my in ground seeds the last weekend in April one year and that seemed to be good for most stuff - the lettuce and peas took longer to germinate so I think it might have been a touch early for them but chard, spinach, carrots, etc all did well.
I bought my heat mat today so I am all set for Sunday - I decided to try the planting by the signs this year so according to the Farmer's Almanac, Sunday is auspicious for planting:)
DH said he can get a bunch of old windows in frames from the job he is working on so we are going to grab them for later use.
Alee - I hear you about the time for weeding, I just don't have it either so I'm going to smother the life out of them!!
This year we are concentrating on the main garden and the chickens - next year we will add to that so if I have the weeds at least dead where we are working next year that will be a step.
I'm getting my motivation back, slowly but surely. I somehow got used to being on vacation - odd since I haven't had one in about 16 years - but the whole getting enough sleep, not picking up after boys and eating fabulous food when I was hungry, not when it was time according to the clock thing - it was alright
Hope everyone is happily gardening/preparing to garden
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  7:51:51 PM  Show Profile
I like that last quote Teresa Sue - I too have a busy week lined up next week but after that lets do it!!
I planted my in ground seeds the last weekend in April one year and that seemed to be good for most stuff - the lettuce and peas took longer to germinate so I think it might have been a touch early for them but chard, spinach, carrots, etc all did well.
I bought my heat mat today so I am all set for Sunday - I decided to try the planting by the signs this year so according to the Farmer's Almanac, Sunday is auspicious for planting:)
DH said he can get a bunch of old windows in frames from the job he is working on so we are going to grab them for later use.
Alee - I hear you about the time for weeding, I just don't have it either so I'm going to smother the life out of them!!
This year we are concentrating on the main garden and the chickens - next year we will add to that so if I have the weeds at least dead where we are working next year that will be a step.
I'm getting my motivation back, slowly but surely. I somehow got used to being on vacation - odd since I haven't had one in about 16 years - but the whole getting enough sleep, not picking up after boys and eating fabulous food when I was hungry, not when it was time according to the clock thing - it was alright
Hope everyone is happily gardening/preparing to garden
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  8:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Things have been been crazy busy for me as well as things are amping up for Farm Fair. I am trying to sqeeze time in for planting as well. Since my whole back yard is like having a new canvas it has been both fun and challenging. My best Friend Terra found me solid yellow hollyhock seeds... which I plan on planting around my new chicken coop, I will make sure to psot pictures when the hollyhock comes up. I cant wait.. I think I shared with you all earlier that I have this "thing", about my yard and how I like only purple, white and yellow in my flower beds.....I know, it drives everyone nuts, but it looks adorable....(so says I)... My mom on the other hand has the same issue but she is red and white and blue..... CUTE!

Tonight I ran over to our local plant nursery and found the most adorable bush... dont remember the name but it smells like honey....and has a yellow flower.. it doesnt get more perfect. I also planted some feverfew, and I have lots of shasta daisies..... but I am implimenting a lot more edibles... everywhere. We ripped out some of the lawn we put in last year to add more raise veggie beds... I jsut received my seeds from Baker Creek so I will be planting tomorrow.....weather permitting...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  07:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
We had such beautiful weather yesterday that I got out and made a couple of raised beds in my garden. I actually found worms this year! My soil even smells great! Bet things grow even better this season. Yellow hollyhocks, Rene, sounds wonderfully country to me. I too like certain colors in my yard which most are purple and some pinks. Some areas do have the yellows and reds to attract birds and butterflies.

Today dh promised to help me get started on my new chicken coop. With the chicks growing fast I'd like to get it up so they will all have a much nicer area to roam.
Since my new lil' stinker woke me at 4:30 this am, I've already started the wood stove, cleaned up a few dishes from last nite and had my tea, all the while dh is still snoring.

Well now I'm off to feed the rest of my critters. Ol' Henry (my bantee rooster) is a callin'.

Gail
Farmgirl #486

http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  08:08:15 AM  Show Profile
It is semi quiet around Meyer Hatchery today so I thought I'd try and play catch up with you girls. Things have definitely been busy around here. Hatching season is crazy.. Everyone is in panic mode with this economy and we've sold more chicks in the first 5 hatches than we did all the way thru July last year. I sure hope that the majority of people buying birds realize that feed costs alot. And then there's the brooding supplies, and the egg supplies and whatever else. I can't believe how much I spend in feed each month. Its definitely not what I make back in eggs that's for sure!
Been trying to work around the farm a bit. I have the store completely set up. Jerr put in electricity and lights for me. I found cute curtains at.... walmart... yes... I shopped there. I got 'em for 2.50 a set on clearance. They have little spice cans on them and they look really cute in the shed. I've cleared out all the flower beds and have made a plan for dividing some of my perennials. I've got iris that needs to be divided as well as black eyed susies. I think I have other things that need divided. I'm just gonna pot them up and try to sell it at SF. I also have TONS of tomatoes and peppers up and looking good. I'm gonna put them in the cold frames today when i get home from work.
Just been working around the house...cleaning and mourning the death of my butterscotch. The house seems so empty without her hacking and snotting all over the place. Even the dogs seem lost without her.

Hoep everyone has a great weekend. talk with ya'll later! HUGS!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  08:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Today my hubby and I are going to complete the chicken coop ( although I still have to paint the outside) but the girls are eager to move and I am eager to be able to have a phone conversation with out them "chiming" in. ( yes they are in my office in a large dog crate as I wanted to insure that they were social.. beleive me they are social....:) We are also working on my new "tool shed" which is being converted. It was the pool house, but when I convinved DH to bury the pool last year.. well no need for the pool house... HUGE need for the garden shed ")

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  08:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! Seeds are EXPENSIVE this year! I just about $25 worth. Seed saving is going to feature high in my chores this year! Sheesh!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, who is Butterscotch? Is it the cat that was sick?

Rene'. I totally agree on the garden shed instead of a pool house. I need one so bad. I have dreams of a cute little garden-potting shed all painted with window boxes with lowers dripping down. And a cool porch and shingled roof of course. Oh, to have one. Maybe one day. We really need a shed for the mowers and tillers and all the garden tools. So I might get one soon.

It's been a crappy weekend so far. Rain, rain and more rain. Just a dreary ole day here in Ga. I did sew a few cute shopping bags. It is so much fun and not much work really. I have lots of material. I am going to make up a bunch and try to sell them at the farmer's market. The first day is May 2nd. I won't have any produce to sell except spinach and lettuce by then. So I thought maybe shopping bags and some aprons to sell would be fun.

Alee, I have already spent close to $100 just on potatoes, onions, beans, field peas and some corn. And that ain't half of the stuff I'll need. Thank goodness the tomato seeds were free! And I do have some seeds left over form last year. Hopefully they'll come up, I did save a baggy full of okrs seeds from last year, too.

Gail, your guy sounds like my Russell Crowe. He starts in about 4:30 every morning, just to make sure he's heard. Bad boy!

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  4:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Girls, just a quick stop cause I know grandson will want to be on the computer. Well, I done gone and did it!!! I ordered my chicks today from our very own chicken whisperer, Dawn, lol. We start on the coop tomarrow, well that's the plan, it's supposed to snow tonight, ugh. Hopefully it will melt quick. The chicks won't be here until the end of June, so I have plenty of time to get it all taken care of. Hope y'all are taken good care of yourselves, remember to save time for yourselves, have a cuppa and I brought cookies, not homemade, but for a good cause, Girl Scout Samoans, mmmmmm, coconut, lol

Quote for the day:

"It's never too late-in fiction or in life-to revise." NANCY THAYER

Oh, I went to a spin-in in Coeur d'Alene today and bought some beautiful wool to spin on my wheel.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  5:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Kristin - how funny that your rooster? is named Russell Crowe - my maiden name is Crowe and there is a guy that works for the same company I do named Russell Crowe - he is the deli manager in the smallest store in the company - I had to laugh when the company memo came out congratulating Russell Crowe for taking the Deli Manager position:)
The weather forecast is calling for a possibility of rain and snow through next weekend - bleah. That's all I have to say about that
Later ladies,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  5:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Ditto here.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  7:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Dawn - I received my journal today. Thank you, it's really cute. I was'nt able to post on MJ Heirlooms so I will need to get with Brian again for him to fix that part of the glitch.

Gail
Farmgirl #486

http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  07:26:52 AM  Show Profile
Glad you like it.

I got sooooo much done yesterday. I have a rock wall in front of the house that partly fell down. Jerry was milking so I carried rocks, one by one (cuz they are HEAVY!) and rebuilt the wall. To say the least, my back is a bit tender today... See? I wasn't lying about those gardening exercises! I also had a visitor from my 85+ year old neighbor Rachel. She crocheted me a lap blanket for plowing out her driveway this winter so she could get to church. I almost felt bad accepting it, Jerr did the plowing, I did the reminding. She also made me these pumpkin choco-chip cookies. OMG... to die for. So I took her some eggs last night to bribe her for the recipe.. It worked!

Also had a visit from my dd, we made some Andes Mint brownies. YUM!

Yep, talked to TS yesterday and got her birds ordered. Sneaky devil she is, she ordered them so that they'd arrive when I'M IN WASHINGTON.... so looks like I'll be assisting in baby chicks at TS's house. Man, I wasn't planning on WORKING on my vacation.....lol!

I forgot who asked, but yes. Butterscotch was my cat. She was a dandy. Personality out the wazoo. She'd sleep in the bathroom sink in the summer, and hide all winter long. She's "talk" to me in these chirping noises, and when she was loving on me, she'd gently bite my nose. She loved Cool Ranch Dorito's, macaroni salad, that fake cheese in a can, and cream cheese. She knew the sound of a cream cheese being opened and coming trotting in the kitchen to get some. She'd play this game of hide and seek... she'd wait for one of us to come in a room, or turn a corner and then she'd jump up in your arms. She used to snore louder than my husband.... I really miss her. On another cat note. Fluffchick (barncat) is very pregnant. I swear, she is the hussy of Nova. I'm slowly becoming the crazy cat lady around here. Instead of pigs, goats and cattle, I have a barn full of cats.

Okay, I need some cold frame advice. Do I put my seedlings in the cold frame for a day and bring them in at night? Or should I stick them out there until planting time and let them harden up? I'm running out of table space. Peas and carrots are direct sow, correct?

I took a hint from Alee, and cut all my hair off. I could pull it back in a 2" pony and now its all gone. I'm thinking of going shorter. I used to wear it in a pixie cut, but let it grow for a year. I will post pics later.

OH YEAH: just finished my first family cookbook. Its been in the making for a couple years and I just printed it out on reg paper. Its called " A PINCH OF THIS AND A DASH OF THAT, MEMORIES OF THE MOUNTAINS". It's a dessert cookbook of family recipes. I'm hoping to sell them for $5 each at SF. Its 20 pages long and has recipes like Cooked Custard, Apple Butter Cake, Pumpkin Brownies with Maple Frosting and Slo-Poke Turtle Bars. These are foods I grew up eating, and I'm hoping to do another one soon of breakfast fixin's. YAY!

Seems like there was something else I wanted to share, but it's slipped my mind. Hope Kelley is having fun running around in buckskin....haha... She sent me a text pic of her hubby building their teepee. I think that is too cool!

Have a great Sunday gals!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Edited by - deeredawn on Mar 29 2009 07:35:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  07:32:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah... I know what it was....

Rene~ Im thinking of color coordinating around here too. Now that my house is gray, I want to do mainly purples, blue's and pinks. However, I have a tangerine dream azalea out front that I'm NOT parting with. And my rock wall is very colorful. Sooooo.... I'm just gonna incorporate as many blue hues as I can. I think its gonna look nice.

Also, started on my "outpost" this weekend! We drove stakes in the ground at the back "slab". (Not a patio, not... anything, just a concrete slab". I'm going to plant morning glories and moon flower on hog paneling for some privacy. I bought beach towells at the dollar store to make a slip cover for my swing's cushions, and found a motel bouncer chair for $14 that needs a coat of paint! All I need is a table and some potted plants and we've got an outdoor living space! OH.... and a tub......

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  09:42:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow Dawn, sounds like you've been busy busy!! I would love to buy one of your cookbooks - I love family recipes. Let me know what would work:)
I woke up to snow on the ground and snow/rain falling so I'm going to be inside today:( I'm doing my tomato and pepper starts today so that will make me feel a little better I hope.
Then some cleaning, decluttering, sewing maybe, and reading.
This week is superbusy at work, inventory then a big sale so today is my last real chance for home stuff - the last two Sundays I didn't even get dressed till 2pm (I never do that) so I really need to get it together today
Have a fabulous day!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  11:25:54 AM  Show Profile
Lol... I guess I have. This is normal to me so I never think of it as busy. Just stuff to do. Got the last of the mulch on the flower beds before the sleet/rain hit today. I put a pot of soup on to simmer and the smell of it is making me a little grum-belly! Like Pooh.... pooh, I giggle saying that. But then again, I would as I'm so immature when it comes to potty talk. hee hee!

Gave my dogs beef bones and they all are konked out with full bellies. YES! Which means I'm free to move about the house with out one under my feet!

I also, finally documented all my merit badge stuff and will be shipping it off to Gabe since I can't apply on the connection. I figured I worked hard on this stuff, I deserve something-was just gonna let it go since I've tried to submit for them 4 times! But then, I thought better of it and put it all down on paper and am mailing them out tomorrow! Look out, I've got 14 badges coming!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Edited by - deeredawn on Mar 29 2009 11:28:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  1:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Well, cat crumbles, if you're going to re-submit yours, then I guess I'll re-submit all of mine.

Been having a good time with grandson, Houston, we went to the spin-in yesterday and to the show house to see monsters vs aliens, in 3D, no less, lol

Can't build the chicken coop today, like Amy Grace said, we have snow. Ugh. So we had to store all the materials in the shop, man plywood has really come down in price, woohoo. Then we went up to the cemetery and the hubbs chainsawed three huge broken branches for me so I could get those cleaned up. Now we're in the house baking cookies, white choc chip, man are they rich. Grandson wants fresh bread for dinner, ha, he is so much like his grandfather it scares me, lol

Quote for the day:

"I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." GILDA RADNER

LOL, I love it!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  1:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
BTW, Dawnydear, you should know every farmgirl has to earn her keep, hahahahaha!!!!

Don't work too hard this week Amy Grace.;^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  3:21:12 PM  Show Profile
Cat crumbles? Seriously?

I'm just submitting mine so the other Mavens dont' think they have a lazy queen... HA!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  4:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, yeah, CAT CRUMBLES! ROFL!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  4:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Okay... so if I'm Meadow Muffin, and Kelley is Barnyard Biscuit and Lora Pasture Pancake, then YOU must be Cat Crumbles! LMAO! Instead of TS, I christen thee..... Crumbles. Instead of the James Gang, we can be the poop gang. Rofl!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD

Edited by - deeredawn on Mar 29 2009 4:45:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly