True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:29:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry Dawn!! Hope it gets better.
We had a fabulous weekend - bluegrass festival Saturday and Sunday, lots of really, really good music.
Now I gotta get canning - beets, apricot preserves, then build hoop houses, finish the chicken mahal (taj mahal for chickens), weed, weed, weed, weed, hmmm, then I might do some weeding:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, can you come to my garden when you're all done with yours???? Please, please!! I'm afraid mine can no longer be called a garden. It's more like a jungle. Pig weed taller than me. I have an okra jungle, a corn maze, a bean pit, and I even found a secret garden! Back behind this huge wall of 7' high weeds was a whole row of field peas and more corn. I was out picking peas last week and saw some purple poking through the wall of weeds and there they were. A whole row of ripe peas ready to be picked! So I still know where all the good stuff is. I know people see me going in there with buckets and wonder why. But I always come out with them all full. So I guess I'll make it awhile longer. The corn is about ready to pick and a few more weeks on the beans and peas. Okra will keep on til fall. Then I'm letting in the herds of goats and cows. They can have it.

But any time anyone gets time on their hands, I'll send directions.

Marcy, who were those plumbers? That's crazy. I hope you find some good ones that know what they are doing.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  07:21:21 AM  Show Profile
LOL!! KRistin...you crack me up!!!!!

WHHHHHHOOOOO-WWEEEEEEE there are some blood pressure raising topics on here these days...wwhheeeew! I am blaming it on the heat...ROFL!!! When in doubt...do what the politicians do...Point the finger elswhere!!....ROFL!!!!!!

Kristin cracks me up, I crack me up.....LMBO!! Everybody cracks me up...LOL!!

Ok....gotta go drink my last cupaJoe and call my BFF!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  07:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Raining EVERYWHERE it seems but HERE.. GRRRRR...I tell folks that we have two weather systems HOT/DRY and COLD/DRY and really I want some rain...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's a beautiful sunny day here in Montana, I just got done baking chocolate cupcakes instead of buying them at the store, and Nora is playing and not wanting to watch movies or TV. Life is good!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I've been out blocking ways to keep my little chicks in their own yard. Sneaky little things, they manage to find an out somewhere in the fencing and then I'm redoing or reinforcing again. I'm learning that I must build better and stronger fencing.
Dawn, sorry about your weekend. Hope your week is better.
Amy, sounds like you're really busy. Pass some of that energy to me, please.
Rene, grrrrr is right. Our evenings and mornings are down right cold but since the rain has passed it is at least warming up during the day. Hope you get some of that rain your wishing for.
Alee, can I have a cupcake?

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  11:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of "Life is good" Alee.....Life is also good here in my little corner of the world...Woke up to 70 degree weather...lol....instead of 90 degrees by 8:oo am....
Have tons of ripe Northern Nibbler tomatoes that Tina sent me seeds for this spring...and the kids love it! They eat more tomatoes that Sterling and I put together!....I just made Emily the cutest dress for a VERY last minute invite to a dedication Ceremony this evening (thanks to my DH!)...lol...I've done 2 loads of laundry with my homade laundry detergent this morning...My Dragons tongue beans that I thought were never gonna do anything, are "doing"...lol...and are so beautiful may I add....and in the last couple of days, I have fallen back in love with my husband.

Ok....stop laughing...lol....not that I ever fell out of love with Sterling, not even close...but have any of you ever gotten so consumed with "life", that you unintentionally just seemed to coast through the "wife" part of your life at times? Does that make sense? Like when the kids, the garden, the animals, the "projects", the other family members, the grocery shopping, the house chores, your job..etc... drain you or take up so much of your time, that all the "wife" part is, is "Let me take that to the sink for you" after he's done with dinner, then a "goodnight, I love you" right before bed? Then, out of nowhere, you get to actually have a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with any of the things I listed above, and before you know it, ya'll are talking about all kinds of things and laughing, and in an instant the thought crosses your mind "Wow, I love my husband, he is so funny, he works so hard to provide for our family, he is so smart, I miss just talking to him" and BAM!!! It's like falling back in love with him again?

Or maybe I'm the only one who goes through that...Does that make me a bad wife? I mean....SURELY I'm not the only wife out here who sometimes set my "wife" mode to Auto Pilot am I? Anywhoooo.....not that any of ya'll cared to know all of that garb I just spatered from my mouth...ROFL!! Or should I say fingers...lol....

I was just agreeing with Alee that life is good...not that it's ever really been bad for me...but today...really good!!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Kelley, sometimes you just amaze me with your wisdom, girl. That is so true with me, too. I guess I just take ole hubby for granted alot too much. He does so much for us. He is a great husband and provider and good to be around, too.

Life really is good in my neck of the woods, too. Some days more than others, but generally good. And some cupcakes sure do sound good! Alee, don't ya just love it when an only child can play and have fun by herself? My grand, Kansas, has the best time by herself and never complains. Just finds things to do. She's into playing school now. It's so funny hearing her probably saying things her teacher says. She has all her stuffed animals as her students. And she's into rhyming names now, too. She's so funny. Never bored at all.

Gail, I know what that's like, blocking holes and making more fences and just all the time doing more. Those birds are pretty smart, aren't they? If they aren't going under or through, they're flying over.

Kris
Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  8:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Kristin - you are funny "when I'm done with my weeding" do you ever get done with weeding? Certainly not in my garden - I can definitely relate to the jungle theme, I have 7 foot tall weeds in the area that isn't cultivated and voracious morning glory in between all the tomatoes - thick enough that during last weeks heat wave of 100 degree weather I found mushrooms growing underneath!!
And Gail - I wish I could claim I had energy - I get everything done but it isn't necessarily pretty:)
But yes, continuing busy-ness, and I just realized as soon as I finish this weeks canning I have cornichons, beans and peach butter, and then more beans and tomatoes. Good thing I like canning so much - I'm teaching a canning class next week, sometimes teaching something re-inspires your own creativity.
I also got a whole bunch of new cheeses in at work - woo-hoo, love the cheese, it is just like Christmas when I get new products
Talk to y'all later
Amy Grace
oh yeah - I checked the zucchini yesterday - all was well, small manageable zucchini growing - today there is a small whale-sized zucchini - where did it come from?

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  9:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would love to share cupcakes with you all! I just don't think they would ship very well. They are homemade versions of Ding-Dongs! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
whale sized zucchini, roflmao! Whalezini!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:37:53 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Teresa Sue - BREATHE....ROFL!!! But it is Funny!!!!

AG - You're a hoot...I wish my garden was 1/2 as big as I wanted it to be this year....this sucks to listen to how busy all of you are in your gardens, and any other year I would be the same, but not since we are leasing...boohoohoo!

Gail - hope you can find a way to keep the boogers in...our chickens are so smart it isn't even funny...we thought we'd be able to keep our group of babies that we got this spring cooped at night and just free range during the day...but they changed our minds for us...now they refuse to go in the coop at night..they just roost on the porch railing like Speckles and Mildred..so now I have the poop of 6 poopers to clean off every morning instead of 2...well..ok...not really...the spot where speckles roosts actually hangs off the porch by an inch or so...so I really never have any poop in that area....ok, enough about poop...ROFL!!

Alee - those cupcakes sound good...I was thinking that today or tomorow I'd do a batch of chocolate dipped gooseberries...of course, I'll have to hide the berries from the kids before I do it, or there won't be any to dip..Tee-Hee!!

Well, the Dedication Ceremony for the sports complex that my hubby's company is building went well..the kids had a great time...and I got to meet another of my husbands cowowrkers that I had never met before, plus a wife that I hadn't met. Oh, how being back in a football stadium again will take you down memeory lane! When I was In high school, I was in band...ok gals...no band nerd jokes!..ROFL!!! i was SERIOUSLY the COOLEST BAND NERD EVER, EVER,EVER!!!!!! LMAO!!!! Anywho...I LOVED football season....They are not joking when they say TEXANS ARE SERIOUS ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL!!!! My high school years were the funnest school years of my life!!! And being back in a stadium with the band and cheerleaders and drill team and football players made me rethink my homeschooling decision a bit....now I'm undecided! Humph! Sadler kept saying he wanted to be a football player and OF COURSE emily wants to be a cheerleader!! She was so cute...she told me that she NEEDED to talk to the cheerleaders about becoming one, and so that MAYBE she could go out on the field and dance with them! So sweet and cute to hear a 4 year old be so serious about something...lol! But, unfortunately, we didn't get to talk to a cheerleader, but she was able to go out on the feild and dance a bit, they had a live band set up playing christian and country music, so she liked that! Then at some point Sadler changed his mind and decided that he wanted to be the mascot...LOL!! That's my funny little 2 YO for ya!! I think he inherited that notion from his silly Auntie Dawn!...LMAO!!!!

BTW - DAWN -- I hope you are feeling better today, and hope that you were able to have atleast a little bit of fun with your absolutely GEORGEOUS daughter yesterday!!!

Ok..need to go do something...don't know what, but something....LOL.....

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Ha ha!! I like that, TS. Too funny! And Amy, that happens all the time to me. I go look one day and think that one can wait til tomorrow. I go out tomorrow and it's grown a foot. I don't know how it happens either. But I love the new name!

I went out to my jungle and told the SIL to come looking for me if I didn't come back out in an hour! It's that bad. I should probably tie a rope around me so I can find my way back out! It was all I could do to stay out there and pick at all. I kept thinking there were snakes everywhere. And there probably were. I found a snake skin yesterday morning where I feed the chickens. Plain as day it was laying there. So I am about done with that gaeden. I'll finish fencing it in and throw the goat boys out there to fatten up.

I'm glad I picked last night before all the rain. We sure needed that.

I would love the home made ding dong recipe, Alee. I could live on those. A friend of mine has a twinky recipe, too. She has a book of recipes like that. But maybe I should stay away from them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone started their mini aprons yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I will be making mine next weekend I think.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:55:04 AM  Show Profile
ooh...I got my pattern (Simplicity 2748) saturday, but haven't started yet...had to make Emily a dress last minute yesterday...so was gonna do it today, but now have to go mow my moms yard, and my inlaws are wanting to come spend Saturday with us...so I may not get to start until sunday..but I bought some really cute Christmas fabric, and I'm SOOO excited to get started on them!!!

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile
haha, Alee and Kristin, I think we were all trying topost at the same time...I have just lost 2 posts in the last 5 minutes...lol

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  08:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Wowzers! Ya'll have been chatty!

I have started my aprons and I'm pleased to say, minimal glue has been used. And I think even my stitch lines are semi-straight! I'm using a Four Corners Apron pattern that I modified and made little. Yes, I said "modified" in the same sentence I stated "stitches". Wonders never cease do they?

Kelley, I loved catching up with you on the phone yesterday, however, you run my battery dry! LOL! Next time I will remember the charger....

I had a really nice day with Miss Audrey. She took me to an independent fair and we had....deep fried oreos. Heaven in funnel cake batter...no lie. they were so good I'm banning them from my diet!

My garden is really coming into itself. I have taken pics of some food and will hopefully be posting them on my blog. Yes, I too have weeds, but I just ignore them.

Kelley: yes. I go on auto-pilot as a wife too. As a matter of fact I think I've been on auto for awhile now. I too, find myself falling in and out with Jerry. And then yesterday, it was the 2nd year anniversary of my mom's death, he was so sweet and kind to me. My eyes were swollen from tears and it was the littlest thing... a cold wet washcloth, that made me realize how much I love him....and need him.

today nothing has been going right. I actually canned. I know I've said before that I did it, but I actually chickened out and freezer canned it. So this morning, I was looking at all my brand new canning supplies and I said "Dawn, it's do or die". So..... I did a small batch of honey-spiced peaches. 4 quarts. I do not know if I did it right or not as the lids don't have that little button that lets you know if it's sealed or not. They are new and completely flat. PLUS: I got P o'd at the peaches, so they are not pretty. I mean, I tried slicing them into quarters but after stabbing myself with the paring knife I started ripping them apart. I ain't proud...but it's done. So if you notice a lack of posting from me this winter it's cuz I keeled over from poisoning myself...

I also learned that it's a good idea to have your fruit prepared ahead of time. And that hot jars are....well....hot.

I also started a batch of wet laundry soap. I have a tub of dry mix, and I usually add about 3 cups dry to a gallon of boing water. So I thought I'd double the batch today and I was on facebook and it boiled over and now I have a really clean stove-top....

So, I'm off to another adventure. June and crew should be arriving soon. maybe I should do a batch of cupcakes too... nah.... I'm staying away from the kitchen for awhile...

Ta-ta!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  09:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dawn~ Do we have a "june clever" badge? LOL Miss you so much! While I was driving over in Western WA this past weekend... Over in the Snohomish area (for those WA farmgirls that may be reading this) I thought of my back roads trip to Ohio.

It seems between work and garden and sewing and preserving etc...my days are so full. Such a great feeling.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com
www.ruralfarmgirl.blogspot.com
www.farmgirlsfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  4:12:57 PM  Show Profile
ooohh....I took a big enamelware pan full of veggies to my hubbies office, complete with two very cute floursack bags of homemade laundry dtergent ................

And darn it....forgot to take a pick of it...it really looked like something straight out of a MJF mag!!! oh well....

Dawn, I put a couple of new little pics on my blog you may like...that goes for anyone else too, i'm not saying ONLY Dawn can have them...LOL....

Ok..gotta head home (am at my Moms) think the whole family has caught a stomach bug....YUCK!!!!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  06:59:34 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, cool. Love the pic of Speckles on your back. You need to teach me how to load pics on this forum!

Rene', I think of you so much. I so wish we had more time that wknd.....

TS, You don't know how much I need you. I was whining to Jerry yesterday that I have no one to teach me things like you did when I was there. Seriously, I learned so much that week. I wish you were here to show me how to can, and not do 3 sink loads of dishes.... I wish I would've asked my grandmas and mom to show me. Everyone who knew these arts are gone, I NEED A MENTOR DARNNIT!

Today I'm heading out to run errands and etc -stuff I'd normally do on Friday but....this wknd is a special get away for me and June. I cannot tell ya'll where I'm taking her less she is reading this...lol....but I hope that lots of laughs and stories will ensue. So...happy weekend everyone! And watch out America! Here comes Deeredawn and RubyJune!

um...anyone have a scarf and big sunglasses so I can get the whole Thelma & Louise effect going on here in front of my computer? ......anyone.......?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  07:30:05 AM  Show Profile
HEY!? Thelma! (Louise?!)
I thought I had an idea of where we are goin...are ya trickin me?! eeks! Myrtle & Ruth's big adventures to....?!?!

I'm tickled to be on the computer reading about what is going on in each of your lives...my computer is acting super wonky these days, it needs replaced. Been limping it along, trying to get ready to put some things online for sale to raise the moolah for a new computer.

We've been busy with the garden, volleyball practices, and whipping this house into shape to prepare for the school routine! (I don't do mornings well, so things have to be simplified lol)

Glad to hear things are well for all of you, I've missed "visiting" here with you!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  07:40:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey Dawn and June....did you see the part about the flamingoes and dressing 'em up?...you'll have to go back and find it, that way you'll understand why I need a picture of you 2 dressed up!!!!

P.s. Hey Ruby Junes...I know where you're going!!!! NannyNannyBooBoo!! Hey...I'll tell ya for a price!!!.....LMAO!!!! ROFL!!!!!!

But seriously...I WILL tell ya , just keep in mind it will cost ya a picture of you dressed in big singlasses, lots of pearls, an apron and Ruby slippers, and you have to be holding a basket with 1/8 inch bias tape, glo sticks and twinkies in it!!!!

ROFL!!!!!

ICB!!!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!

Need oxygen! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!! TeeHeeJee SNORT SNORT

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  08:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Well Dawn, I wish you were closer so I could teach you what little I know, cause God knows, my daughters could care less! I'm just hoping that maybe one of my grand daughters might want to learn some of this stuff.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Aug 13 2009 08:58:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I think we need a MAVEN commune :)
TS I am close.. you can teach me stuff.....I am the flip.. MY mom has no interrest in any of this, I start talking about gardening and glamping and seed saving and...... her eyes glaze over and roll into the back of her head.. if I talk long enough I swear she is in a trance.. ( which by the way has become a sport for me) LOL

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page