farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  8:37:28 PM  Show Profile
ROFL!! Tammy...I think I did pee my pants! I was really scared...it takes alot to scare me...and that incident did!! Like I said...I was having a flashback to the copperhead bite....heebyjeebies!!!

Gail..it was a cotton mouth, also refered to in these parts as a water moccasin...mean poisonoous black snakes!!

Tina Michelle - I wish this would have been a non poisonous harmless snake...but I'm just glad I got back up on the porch, and the heck away from it....makes me icky to think it's under our house though!!!

Amy Grace..you crack me up..I have some 6 ft tall weeds in my garden too..and after this rain is done and gone...they will probably be 8 ft tall!!! Be careful on that slope!

Annika - my husband laughed at me when I told him what weapon I chose...he said.."You couldn't have reached right inside the door and grabbed the shot gun....grabbed that brand new sharpened hoe, the other barnd new VERY sharp limb whacker...noooooo....you had all of these good snake killing weapons right in front of you, and you had to grab the one thing that is basically a broken stick!" ROFL>>> I had to laugh at myself...because he was right!! Now, I didn't think about the shotgun...but the other tools were all right there in the same barrel as the broken handled, dull as a butter knife limb whacker!...Good to know this size 16 FarmGirl can still run when it counts...lol...

Well...that wasn't even the highlight of the day...I rushed Emily to the ER at 6 this eevening...she got a nose bleed earlier today that was pretty bad, but nothing that panicked me, then again this evening she got another one...a bad one....I got sick to my stomach at the sight of all the blood....she reached down and immediately pulled her shirt up to her nose....and by the time I made it to the other end of the house with her to sit on the couch, the blood was puddled up in her shirt, and when she dropped her shirt for me to put a towel on her nose, the blood SLPASHED into her lap and on our legs...It mortified her so badly that she looked up at me, got tears in her eyes and said "Mommy, I'm gonna..." and then vomitted blood on both of us. Needless to say..I felt like If her nose was bleeding that badly, from the nose and down the throat, while standing...that I better have a doctor look at her. It really had me upset, because she was bleeding out 6 to 8 inch clots like crazy, and she has never done that during nose bleeds. the second nose bleed took me 12 minutes to get stopped....and when we walked into the ER..the Doctor and nurse jumped up and said "What did she do?" And when I told them it was a nose bleed they said it was the heaviest one they'd seen this year...lol....Them saying that actually made me feel better, because I knew they had seen some pretty bad nose bleeds and that Emily's wasn't the worst.....but poor thing was so covered in blood, that a man that got some sort of chemical sprayed in his face insisted that we be seen first...so sweet of him...so...turns out, the doctor thinks it was caused by allergies..but all in all, no big deal...said that every kid needs "Gallon nose Bleed" atleast once in their life.....guess that was his way of making it seem better for us...Emily is fine...put a puzzle together with Daddy when we got home...played with her kittens, took a nice warm bath, and is now sound asleep...whew...and Mommy's adrenaline is still so high, that I'm wide awake a good hour and a half after my usual bedtime...lol....

P.S. I think Daddy was a little shaken by the amount of blood, too, because he was very quite at the hospital....and he is the one who is always asking the doctor and nurses questions if we have to make a trip to the ER, because I'm the one who freaks out and doesn't want to let go of my babies to let anyone touch them or treat them...lol...yeah...the minute I gave birth, I became a super over protective creature!!!

Ok..need to go....I'm sure ya'll get bored with my 18 paragraph posts...lol

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  9:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my word, Kelley! I never had a nosebleed quite that bad, but I did have a bad one when I was about seven. It was christmas nad I had just put on my new WHITE sweater when I felt weird so I started going to the bathroom and GUSH- my nose just started bleeding. All over my new sweatshirt. I remember being a bit scared and confused about the nosebleed but mostly I was upset that I thought my new sweatshirt was ruined!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  9:52:45 PM  Show Profile
oh alee...almost the exact same thing happened to me at age 7, but instead of it being a new white sweatshirt, it was a new buckskin dress, and we were at randezvous...I got 2 nosebleeds in one day...and thought I had ruined the new dress my mom had made me....luckily my mom and dad got most of the blood out over time..wheeew!! I was soooo worried about that dress that I don't remember much else other than having 2 nosebleeds in one day....lol....funny how we are as children, huh?

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  05:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, Audrey used to get nosebleeds like that when she was young.. and to think of it, so did I. Emily should out grow them by puberty. And the vomiting part, its only cuz she was probably choking on it. When it clots up like that it really has no where to go. I've been there done that. Aud used to bleed for 45 minutes or better. I'd take her to ER and they'd pack her nose and send her home. Keep the inside of her nose lubed up with some Vaseline, keep her hydrated.

Man, I miss a day around here and I miss alot! I still have perennials lying around the yard...hint! hint! JUNE! My hands are going numb so yard work is out of the question for me right now. Just typing is painful. I saw a bunch more peas out in the garden so I should get those taken care of today. My beans that Corrine gave me are doing great, but my Black Valentines...not so much. My Kentucky Poles are crazy...go figure.

As for tomatoes... I don't even want to go there. In about one week I will be in tomato heck. I've got maters comin outta my ears!

Okay, the hubsters is not working for the rest of the week and I need to get a move on. Up to the studio this afternoon for some craft therapy.

Keep yer skirts down gals!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  08:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Good grief, Kelley! Never a dull moment at your house. I would have had to change clothes after all that snake business. I could hardly read it but wanted to see what happened. I was chased by a big ole black snake when I was a kid. That thing was too fast. I sure am glad yoy didn't get bit again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:32:36 AM  Show Profile
yes gals, never EVER a dull moment over here at the Cock~A~Doodle~Dew~Berry Farm....ROFL!!!

To add to it, we got 2 more inches of rain....aaannnnddd yes, still more on the way!

Speaking of never a dull moment...Sterling came home last night and told me about a house on 5 acres that a friend of a friend has for sale, and will carry the note on....I trully hope that I am not jinxing myself here, but I am soooooo hoping and praying that this could be our break....Sterling really wasn't enthused when he heard it was only 5 acres, but I had to remind him, that you can do soooooo much with 5 acres!!!! we had already decided that 5 to 10 acres would be ideal to do what we want to do (heairloom veg garden and orchard, raise some heritage breed livestock...small livestock atleast...and a little homestead that our young children will always know as "HOME")...After living in a large beautiful log home on one acre of lake front property for 3 1/2 years, we decided that smaller house and bigger "yard" is what we REALLY wanted!!! So....for all of you who may care...lol....please, please keep your fingers crossed for us!!! I could really use some Maven thoughts and prayers on this.....and hopefully if it all works out, we will have one more Maven on the road to fulfulling her "FarmGirl Dream"!!!!!!

P.S> Dawn...sure wish that I could be there with you next week to help you with the tomato harvest!!!

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  11:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Ok Kelly, now that I'd have peed my pants knowing it was a cottonmouth.... WHAT were you thinking hitting at it girl? Get a gun and shoot the darn thing next time. Only cottonmouth I ever saw was one a friend of mine killed after it came right up out of the river and faced him head on. He skinned it and placed it in our cooler, we were living by a river in Arkansas at the time, and when I opened the cooler it filled the whole thing. Even being dead gave me the willies. Needles to say, I went to bed int the tent before dark after that. I went everywhere with a gun on my hip living there.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  12:47:19 PM  Show Profile
yeah...Gail...i learned my lesson...next time will take the shotgun..lol...ICK!!! that sounds like a pretty huge snake...yuck!

Dawn....I have another cute chicken picture on my blog for you! P.s....when you gonna become a follower?....lol....wwhhaaaaah!! I have no followers on my blog...boohooohoo....ROFL....

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  3:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Kelly, could'nt not have you having no followers so I signed on. Love your pics and wish I were out fishing.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  12:40:50 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, umm not to alarm you, but my daughter used to get nosebleeds when we lived in a mobile home that we rented and that unfortunately had mold/leaves in the air conditioning ducts. The mold was causing headaches and nosebleeds for her. Once in a great, great, great while she'll still get a small nosebleed if the weather is too dry, but when we lived in that trailer she was getting nosebleeds about once a week...no fun.When my daughter gets a nosebleeed now I make sure that she uses a saline solution to help keep the capillaries and nasal passage hydrated, it seems the drier the weather the more apt she is to get one.."if" she gets one now. But..I would definitely have your home checked for mold , especially in the a/c duct work. The trailer we lived in at the time wound up with leaves blown up into the duct work up under the trailer. So I would suggest having someone check your home for molds.So very sorry your daughter went through such a thing. No fun at all.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  04:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! Its a rainy one here in Ohio today. I need to clean up the house a bit before Lora and her gang get here. My high school reunion is tonight (well part of it) and I'm pretty nervous about going but want to see some people. Not a whole lot to report... just going day by day. Have a good one girls!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  05:31:12 AM  Show Profile
It's pouring here, too!!

Dawn, have a great time!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  05:34:12 AM  Show Profile
Tina - the thought of molds in the house has crossed my mind...when it first started warming up and we had to start using the ac...I heard a running water sound one day, but didn't think anthing of it...a couple of days later, heard it again, but couldn't find where the noise was cooming from...long story short, this went on for 2 weeks before we found the running water...it was from the AC system....which is in Emily's closet.....closet floor was soaked!!!!!! We ripped the carpet back....Sterling had to spend 2 evenings working on the AC system...because the landlord can't or won't whatever....I used the blow dryer to dry everything...but I still get that feeling like it wasn't good enough....we are just leasing this house, so we can only do so much, and unfortunately, the owner would just rather let this place rot to the ground before he'd spend a DIME to have something fixed.....but, yes, molds have crossed my mind on more than one occasion...the owner has so many trees and shrubs planted right up next to the house that there is zero air circulation around it...when walking up on the back deck...it smells musty and moldy because that is where the access to underneath the house is...I was so excited to find this place when I was looking back in November....and now I hate it here so much, that i can't stand it!! But it's a really long story...anyhow, there is no way the owner is going to pay for mold inspection, we could barely get him to pay to have the heat fixed back in January...as a matter of fact, we had to pay for it...then he took it out of the rent over the course of 2 months!!!!! And when the fleas got so bad that I was ready to pack up and live at a KOA if I had to.....all he said was.."that's the reason the last tennant left....because the fleas were so bad".....arg!!!!! But will he pay to have anything done about them??? Nope....I can't even tell ya'll how much money we have spent trying to get rid of the fleas!!!!

ok...ok....I was ranting a bit, huh?...lol Sorry! Anyhow Tina...I am activley seeking a new residence....

well...I harvested a ton of gooseberries yesterday evening...yummy!!! Lost my first yellow pear tomato to a worm!!! And those little White Currant Cherry tomatoes are producing like crazy!!! And it's only one bush!!! My other white currants aren't producing yet....And I have 4 BIG Royal Hillbilly's that should be ready to pick by Sunday or monday! My Dragons Tongue beans STILL aren't doing anything!!! ArG!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  07:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Morning Mavens!

Just a reminder, today is the last day to sign up for the MAVEN MINI APRON WINTER/HOLIDAY APRON SWAP!!!!!!

Oh, I picked my first tomatoe today!!!!!!!!

Have a sparkley weekend, lay in the hammock, and keep your margaritas wet,

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  07:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dawn~
I am so jealous that Lora and crew are going to be at your house AGAIN. I have been picking on Lance on FB which is fun, but not as fun as in person.... Give them all a big hug from me. OH and the rain.... UGH we have been in the triple digits for weeks.. rain would be awesome.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  12:28:47 PM  Show Profile
Well...things kinda got mixed up. So the Farmall gang will be here next wknd...however, my house is CLEAN!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  6:59:18 PM  Show Profile
Dawn - hope you have a g-r-e-a-t time at the reunion, though I'm sure you will! You will knock em dead! (I mean that in a good way). Keep us posted on all the potbellies, baldies and white toppers who still think they are "groovy".

Hugs,

Sue Feely
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  7:19:32 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe everyone is getting so much rain - it is hot as hades here. So hot I can't even think about canning, that's bad!!
Kelley - glad Emily is okay, hope everyone else has fun hanging out.
Not much going on tonight, the garden is getting some hydrotherapy so weeding is out, the Mariners just traded away the one bright spot in the starting rotation so we are boycotting the baseball game, and it's too far from town to drive anywhere air-conditioned so we are just hanging out sweating - sounds like a rockin' Friday night in Rosalia!!
Talk to y'all later
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  05:44:08 AM  Show Profile
Good morning!
Yes the reunion was fine...Medina is still very 'cliche-y'. I found myself talking with my then best friend Kristin who was also in my first wedding. She is moving back to Ohio from NC...yay! And another great friend of mine Keri, has been thru heck and back surviving 3 brain tumors! I'm in awe of her strength and resilence. I'm am glad that I went. A few people have read my blog and commended me for my writing skills...wow. I never would've thought that I could write, but after hearing one classmate say she "had tears running down her cheeks" and that my writing "was a story she could imagine (herself) living...." I was just flat out blown away.
The girls all looked so good. None of us seemed to age at all! HA! And then the guys...the poor things. They all have aged so much. None of us girls could tell who was who! LOL.... and then we'd ask someone who "such and such was" and we were like "NO WAY!!!!" It was a great time for sure. Lots of good and not so good memories to share!
Happy Saturday to all. Lora did not make it up this wknd due to my "demanding schedule". I do not know how I did all this with a job. I'm so serious. My datebook is scribbled all over and I can't keep anything straight. So hopefully Lora and Gang will be here next week...until the next time I sign in......

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  06:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens, just a quick note as I have to work today, there's a funeral Tue and I want everything tidy.

Dawn glad you had a good reunion. How's the garden going?

Amy Grace, you must have been having the same rockin' good time in Rosalia that we were having in Tekoa, lol. Sweltering, ugh.

Kelley, those white tomatoes sound intriguing, I might have to try those.

Okay, BTW, the WINTER/FALL MAVEN MINI APRON SWAP is CLOSED.

Later, girls

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  7:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Mmm-hmm still sweltering. I didn't get squat done yesterday, even with a day off work. Actually we did make another $150 dollar trip to the hardware store so I guess I can't say that but really!! Way too hot. Today though I worked, came home, made cucumber/onion salad and a zucchini chocolate cake, did some laundry and in a minute I am going to take the dog for a walk and then do some weeding. The house is an absolute disaster - oh well:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  06:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh! AmyG: Can you forward that zuchinni chocoalte cake recipe to me? Sounds awesome! It's been a "cold" summer here. Normally, we are in the high 80's hittin' into the 90's. And we can't seem to get out of the 70's. My tomatoes are all green and need some heat to ripen up! I know, you all out west are sweltering but I have hardly had shorts on this summer! Right now it's only 68 degrees!
Need ot go to chiropractor today... gotta get this hand thing figured out. Then I'm gonna hit a few places while in town. Bank and whatever else... I hope to do not much of anything else for the rest of the week...except for Friday, I get to go to the zoo and see all my relatives! lol!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  12:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies~

Everyone is so busy. I have been getting this house in order, or trying. Today, I washed the windows in dd's room and hung the new curtains we bought her. Now she wants to add some finishing touches of her own and I said that can come out of her pocket. I've done what I can. Her room looks good now that it's painted and everything is put back. Last week it looked like a bomb when off up there.

I have already started going through all the schools stuff for homeschooling this year. I love new books. It's fun to take a break and start fresh. I can't homeschool all year long like some people do.

Kelley~what a scare!! I hate snakes. Sorry to hear about your ac. A dehumidifier will help get the moisture out. Something like this happened at our other house and we used one and it really made a difference. We didn't end up with mold.

Annika~How are you doing? Have you been feeling better?

Dawn~glad to hear you enjoyed your reunion.

It has been HOT here the last week and a half. We went from too cool to too hot in just a matter of days. There have been thunderstorms and a lot of humidity. Makes it hard to do anything.

Hope you all are doing great. Think of you often.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  1:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey ALL~
Summer has been busy and HOT in our little corner. We have been dealing with triple digit temps. Harvest is now in full motion in my life. My hubby with carrots and extended family with wheat. The weather man says cooler temps by the end of the week, along with some cooler evenings.

I found the best sign for my yard and I am anxious to get it up. Painted the post for it, now waiting for a little cool weather to dig the hole for it. It is a huge Rooster with the words "welcome to the good life" painted under it" Adorable.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  1:52:09 PM  Show Profile
I posted pics on my farmgirl blog of my daughter's room transformation. Hope you can check it out.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page