True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  8:34:05 PM  Show Profile
TS, I signed up.

Kelly, you lucky girl. I sure wish we could get some rain here. Even my okra is wilting. Not a good sign when that happens. Corn stalks are turning yellow. So is the cucumber plants. I have to water squash and zuchinni. But the beans keep on producing no matter what. And the peas. I picked a bunch this morning. And I sold out at the farmer's market today!! I was ready to bring some peas home and start shelling when a guy came and bought all I had and the rest of my squash and zuc. I sold about 2 1/2 bushels of green beans and a bucket of okra. Pretty good for a Monday market.

I am having a mini farmgirl gathering tomorrow at my house!! I am so exited to meet 2 of them. I have already met Kelly. And Nikki and Cherry from Alabama are coming, too. Gotta get busy and clean. I always wait til the last minute. I work much better under pressure.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  05:57:42 AM  Show Profile
HOla chicas

I am dog tired today. Yesterday I dug up and split perennials, mowed, weeded... and I honestly can't remember what all else. Today I'm going to the doctor. Just one of those things that I have to do... I'm not looking forward to it as we have no insurance so we are paying for this out of pocket...bleh!

I'm hoping that I can get into the shed and get things underway for fall. I need to get things planned out for the homesteading class next month (Sept) and then Harvest Hop will not be too far off... good grief...it's not even August yet and here I am, planning it all away!

Keep yer skirts down ladies....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  06:07:10 AM  Show Profile
Dawn - you make me tired just seeing what u did yesterday! Send me a little of that energy please!

Sue Feely
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  06:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Morning girls, wow, between here and the henhouse y'all were quite the chatty cathys, lol.

I lost my gooseberries, :( , think I'll have to order some seed from Baker's Creek. Did you know that gooseberries have a lot of natural pectin in them and oldtimers used to use them to mix with other fruits to make jam?

All in all I've pick ten gallons, three quarts of raspberries. Not bad for thinning out my patch. I'll probably have at least this week to pick to add to that.

Summer's flying away fast, I REALLY need to use my hammock more! lol! Okay off to see what y'all have been doing in the henhouse.
Have a sparkley day girls!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  06:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Teresa Sue! I didn't know that about gooseberries! And I am envious of your nice raspberry patch! YUUM!

Summer is flying by here too. I thinned out my onions yesterday so I got a handful of onions about the size of a golf ball.

And it rained yesterday and last night! Hurray! It washed away some of the heat!

Oh and I also gathered a good handful of green beans from my plants. It's so nice to have garden fresh beans!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  06:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I agree, I love fresh green beans! Mine didn't come up, I think I'm going to try to get a fall crop in. It rained here last night too.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh No! We got 8 inches of rain between midnight and 10 am.....and it's STILL POURING!!! raining so hard I haven't even attempted to go out to the garden..I REALLY pray that I don't lose everything...It is 11:57 am, and we are under a tornado and flash flood warning for another 30 minutes...we've been under the flash flood warning since 1 am....and still more rain heading our way...4 days worth is what the weather man is saying!! AND...we got 2 inches between sunday am and yesterday evening, before the big storms hit.......So...I may not have a ton of gooseberry seeds for the maven seed bank after all.....Please gals, keep your fingers crossed for me that I don't lose my whole garden!!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
fingers crossed!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:54:43 AM  Show Profile
well...suprisingly, not as much standing water as I thought...but its STILL raining...ARG!! Found a couple of bellpepper and tomato plants that the wind and rain broke...whhhhaaaahh!! My gooseberries seem to be in one of the lowest spots in the garden, so I tried to bail some water away from them....don't ask...lol....and ended up gettitng eat up by fireants in the process...The 1/4 acre duck pond in the fron yard is a 3/4 acre duck pond right now...most of the driveway under water, too....This kind of weather is unheard of in Texas in July!....I hope everything will be ok

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  12:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I've been busy finishing up my gate for my garden. Weather is pretty hot so have to work in spurts. My raspberries are really doing well this year. Problem is I eat them as fast as they ripen. Strawberries are much bigger this year and so far my tomatoes are still green. Onions are being harvested and looks like I will have more apples and pears this year. We could use some of that rain so I would'nt have to water so often. Soil here is pretty sandy so stays thirsty all the time. Not a good time for me to be thinking of going on vacation again. Tomorrow I'll work the co op garden and pick up some wood to start making some raised beds. Next year I hope to have way more veggies. Now I'm trying to locate some decent fruit so I can make some jams. Pretty scarce around here but will try the farmers market in town to see what they might have.
Kelly, hope your garden hangs in there.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  3:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Everyone is so busy!!! This is the busiest time of year and I just love it!! Here's a funny one for everyone! Ok last night the lawn had to be mowed because although my sheep is doing his job mowing the grass is growing faster than he can eat. One small problem the gas lawn mower is broke (this is number 3 for the year--and a reason why men should leave things alone)and the manual mower just cant get through ankle deep grass..so whats a girl to do???? I weed wacked every last parcel of grass! It took me 2 hours to do a 30 minute job!!! I bet it was a sight!! The great news is that DH made me dinner and did the dishes since I was left to do his chore!!!

My kids are at Cedar Point today with Grama and Grampa so I am going to chillax as they call it and tomorrow I will pick up where I left off yesterday!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  6:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Just checkin' in to say hey - going to plant beans tonight, and do some weeding, surprise surprise.
It rained last night but now it feels muggy in the house - in the 90s and getting hotter later in the week.
I think I've been dehydrated and it's making me a dingbat - I put half and half in my water this morning instead of my coffee -
Later ladies

Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  6:26:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey all....garden seems to be ok...but we have four more days of rain coming!! For those of you wanting to do the mini apron swap, Simplicity has the cutest mini apron pattern ever!!! Personally, I prefer McCalls patterns, but they don't have a mini pattern...anywho...it's # 2748, for those of you who haven't already seen it...lol....I almost grabbed that pattern a couple of weeks ago when I was pincushion pattern shopping, but didn't, and now regret it, because my store is out, and are not going to reorder it!! DARN IT!!

By the way...any of you mavens have any pincushion patterns you want to barter for???? I have nifty stuff to trade for!!!...lol....

My store hasn't had Simplicity 2990, and won't reorder it, so I'm still on the hunt for patterns...lol.....so sad, I'm getting back into sewing mode, and don't have a darn pincushion...lol...sad, sad, sad...

AG-drink plenty of water!! LOL...I have to remind myself often!!

Marcy - I can just see you now...lol....I BET it was a sight...lol

Gail....wish I lived near you, we could go in hunt of fruit together...lol

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  8:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kelley- I hope your garden gets a break from the rain-

Our very dry garden is getting a nice soft, gentle rain. It is so nice to have the heat break and some cooler weather move in.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  06:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
So Kelley are you in for the mini apron swap?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  06:20:38 AM  Show Profile
We are getting some rain here, too! It rained all night and it already looks happier outside. I need to go pick okra now and might have to wear my silly umbrella hat my DD gave me. The okra's high enuf to hide me so I won't feel to aeful silly out there. If I hear a car go by I can always duck.

Kelley, I hope all this rain is from Texas and it's left your area now. I hope your garden recovers.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  07:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- You are so funny!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile
Wow! summer has really gone by fast, or maybe I'm just gettin' old The wheat is all golden already.
Kris, LOL! You are so funny
I hope everyone's garden survives the various weather boo-boos

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Yes, TS, I would love to do the apron swap...I have a friend that is going shopping this weekend in Austin, and she is gonna pick up the patterns I can't get here and mail them to me....when was the deadline again? I thought I saw October ...??

So far, no heavy rain today yet..but radar showed another big storm system heading our way this am...not here yet I guess...
My morning started out scary!!!!

As me and the chickens sat on the front porch having our coffee, I noticed two snakes swimming around in our duck pond (which is only 35-40 ft off of our front porch)...but didn't worry myself...afterall, they were in the pond..right?

Well..about 20 minutes later, my phone rang, was a friend of mine and I was just telling her how actives the snakes were because thier house had flooded...when Mildred McGobbleSticks started walking around in a slow circle putting and spatting....and yep!! It was a snake...so I put the phone down and grabbed a limb wacker...thingy with a long wooded handle and a long metal blade...and walked out to it...only to say..."Oh Sh*t...it's a big As# cotton mouth!!", so I backed up and took a big wack at it....only to miss its head by about an inch...so it slithered away a little...and I gave it another shot...this time with my whacker all the way above my head.....whacked at it agin..hitting it in the middle of it's body.....And the stinkin' limb whacker was so dull and the ground was so soft, that all it did was make him mad!! so, the minute I dropped the whacker, that snake jumped....JUMPED! And the part that made me cry like a baby when I got back up on the porch was when he CHASED me!!! I have never in my life been CHASED by a snake....now I was bitten by a copperhead because I stepped on it....but it didn't chase me or anything....this snake chased me about 30 ft!!! I was so scared I cried!!...ok...didn't really cry like a baby...but still got choked up and teary eyed....I was having flash backs of when the copperhead bit me and I was in the hospital for a week with a knee that swoll' up to literally the size of a basketball (3cm short of the circumfrence of a basketball!!!) Turned my toes and foot black...had to go through therapy excercises to learn how to make that foot walk again.....

ok..I'll quit boring ya'll with stories....but...remember...a cotton mouth will chase you down if you make it mad!!!!

on a lighter note....my gooseberries look ok today....but all of my bell peppers look sick!! they are so wilted they look like I haven't watered them in weeks.....do ya'll think they have already drowned?

I've got my first Great White tomato that has almost ripened...I'm so excited about it..can't wait to sink my teeth into it!!!

Edited by - farmmommy on Jul 29 2009 1:43:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
That is just scary Kelley!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the last day of October is when the mini apron deadline is. I've put you down on the list Kelley, that makes 14 of us!!! The deadline to sign up is this Friday, the 31 of July.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:53:02 PM  Show Profile
Good Lord Kelley, I'm glad you got away from the thing! I know that you have "lovely" snakes down that way! You are one brave lady for taking a few whacks at the critter. *hugs* glad you are ok
My grandma was from Texas and we visited many times before she moved up here when she got too decrepit to take care of herself and I've run away from a number of mean lookin' snakes in my days!

Enjoy that Great White 'mater for all of us =) Sorry about your peppers, hope that they come around =(

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Edited by - Annika on Jul 29 2009 1:57:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  3:45:47 PM  Show Profile
glad you got away from the snake. I've had a snake chase me before too. One of those black snakes, harmless thing but sheesh, scared me though. Am not fond of snakes at all...harmless or not I'd rather they slither away... wayyy far away into the woods somewhere.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  3:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Kelly, how scary. Glad it did'nt bite you. What kinda snake was it? We get gopher snakes around here and I still don't like them around. Use to have to fight off rattlers when I lived in Arizona. Would'nt want to have to ourrun anything now as I don't move very fast anymore.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Holy cow Kelley - glad you outran the sucker!!
Yes - I am now much better hydrated. I was planning on weeding but have to water extensively due to the hotness so here I am playing instead. Actually I mowed part of the front lawn - our lawn is about 1/2 acre and it is my son's job to do it, however he has been away at work for the summer since June 11 so it hasn't been done, so I'm doing it in stages - it is also on a fairly steep slope (I think it's steep anyway, for mowing purposes). Anyway, did that and pulled a bunch of the super-tall weeds that are on the perimeter of the garden - I didn't want to work in the direct sun and those weeds are 6 feet tall so I could weed in the shade:). Anyhow, I guess I was productive enough to sit for a spell.
Hope everyone is doing A-OK!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  7:38:32 PM  Show Profile
OMG Kelley! I would have literally peed my pants!!

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page