True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  06:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi all.

This week is gonna be goofy. How is it that one can be soooooo much busier without a "job"? I have been trying to keep up with peas, beans and cabbage. My broccoli is budding...again... corn is just starting to tassle. I've got tomatillos out the....wazoo..... speaking of...does anyone know much about them? When do I pick them? I've never done them before and just inheireted them this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THEN, I have to do my errands today, hopefully go see Audrey tomorrow, but that's not looking good either. HAve I mentioned how much I dislike my ex-husband lately? If not....he's a total (insert your own word). I'm trying to keep my truck driving sailor mouth a little cleaner these days. I haven't seen Audrey since June. Argh.....
Not to mention, the tub needs a scrubbin and the blog needs a writin'. I got dolls' to finish, and santa's to paint. I need a maid.....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  06:37:35 AM  Show Profile
FYI: My MIL is a wonderful, beautiful woman. But she can lecture you to the point of no return. I'd rather eat elk poop than listen to her lecture/preach. Ever since I started becoming more self sustainable, and have been taling about canning, I get the Botulism lecture. At first I was cocky and made cracks about not needing Botox...but "what if I poison her baby boy?" And your point is.....????? Just kidding.
So, yesterday, I got another mini preachin session on how I need to be 'very very careful' cuz if I 'do it wrong, then we die' and 'blah, blah, blah....' thank goodness for step-FIL, he was like "I think she'll do great because she will learn and do it right instead of watching someone who's done it for years and maybe takes shortcuts". HA! Shad - up!
SIGH.... okay, I gotta get off this contraption.... keep yer skirts down girls!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  07:34:55 AM  Show Profile
Just remind her of all the recalls on Peanut butter and everything else. My thoughts are if they taste, look, or smell bad don't eat them but that goes with any thing I have gotten stuff home from the Grocery and is bad.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Ah, MIL's, great aren't they? Keep your chin up Dawn:D
Diana - thanks, we had a great time camping. This campout is the "Clark Family Campout" - DH's folks, two siblings and all the associated kids that come with. This year we only had 19 people - John's (DH) brother's son has a condition - OI (not sure what it stands for) - where his bones break easily;anyhow, he fell off his sister's bike the day before the campout, broke his leg in 2 places and had to have surgery to put pins in his leg so they didn't make it. We were missing a couple of others too but overall it was a good weekend, took a shower this morning - so nice after 3 days of not having one:)
Well, the garden is going well, gotta get some canning done this week, I'm going to help my niece with a quilt for her senior project. That'll be fun I think, it will give me a chance to get to know her and her mom better - DH's family, I'm an only child.
Oh yeah - I have decided to stop multi-tasking while I'm at home, I think it is making me crazy!! Usually when we get ready to go on a camping trip I do about 4 things at once - this time I just concentrated on one thing at a time and I really enjoyed what I was doing rather than being stressed out about it. I think I've been trying to be too efficient.
Okay, better stop here, I'm extra chatty this morning - our chapter has a field trip today, hope Michelle is ready to have her ear talked off!!
Good to "see" y'all
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  4:32:32 PM  Show Profile
hi all...hope everyone had a good weekend!! I had a really great weekend!! Spent the whole weekend fishing!! And had a blast!! Wondering if I caught anything??? HUH? HUH?...well....it's a long story if I were to type about it on here, but if you really want to know, check out my blog!...

Dawn..hope your canning is going well!

AG-glad you had a good time camping!

TS-still don't know enough about facebook to win a food fight with you!...lol...

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  11:08:20 AM  Show Profile
Hello Mavens!!

Daughter finished Drivers Ed and now has her permit after a 3 hour wait at the Department of Motor Vehicles. Wish I had brought my crochet. Now I'm scared of her driving. Think we'll be sending her to driving school.

Been working on the garden and some sewing and crocheting. I need to put pictures of the things I made on my blog.

Dawn~too funny about your mil and step fil.

Kelley~I got the MEN magazines. Thank you so much!!!

Blessings,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  3:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hey everyone!! Just the usual craziness going on here! Decided to go camping this weekend and then remembered it was only two days away!!! so I am off to pack 3 kids 2 of which arent even here!! Oh and the dog!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I've been away for a while and missed you all. I spent the last scary 5 days in the hospital with chest pains and trouble breathing. The doctors need to do a bunch more test and they let me come home for the weekend, but I'm still not feeling right, darnnit! I'm hoping I don't kick the ol' bucket here, but it IS good to be back at my shack, be it ever so humble.

Anyway, Corinne, sorry for your late package, I'll tuck some extra surprises in it for you =)
Love ya gals!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Annika! I am so sorry you have not been feeling well! Could it be panic attacks? I hope you feel much better soon! Get some well deserved rest!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee, it was scary and I still need to go back and have them look into my heart some more...but I'll be ok =)

How are you all doing?
I had an idea for a cool get together! what about "Take your favorite apron out to dinner" night...We could dress all up and wear our fave apron to a fancy restaurant!

Still tired and not doing well, so off for more rest

Love ya sisters!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Annika, so good to hear from you, I was worried too.
Do not worry about the sending the package, it will arrives when it arrives, nothing more precious to me than YOU taking care of yourself.
Maybe you've done too much for a long time at the farm and you need a real rest for a bit.
Please take very good care of yourself, all will be well.
Plenty of love,
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  2:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow.... forever since I landed in MaryJane land....
life at HTF is busy to say the least. Been in the garden daily. Putting food by daily. I thought my life and schedule would slow down a bit not working at a "job", but it's gotten much. much busier. I find myself so tired at the end of the day, and sometimes, like today, taking a nap!

Corrine, I think it's fabulous that farmgirls are still joining the Mavens. Girls, I think we need to get back on track as far as the henhouse goes. I will peek in there and see if anyone's stirring up dust...

I'm almost gathered together as far as seeds go. I just need to compile the list of what I have to be ready for fall planting and springtime. Some of my flowers have gone to seed already so I'm carefully gathering those as well. If you received Maven Wildflowers and they were moldy, I'm so sorry. They were dry (or so I thought) when I packaged them.

this is a short visit gals, as I've got to get moving. I've been sitting too long and getting sore.

Annika, you take care of yourself...do you hear me blue eyes???

Love to all..

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  3:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, Annika I really hope you are feeling better very soon!! Take care of yourself.
Just a reminder Maves (haha, love it Alee!) that the deadline to sign up for the Maven Mini aprons is closing in. July 31 is when I will close it. Check in at the henhouse for all the details. I'm off to clean up after my chicka chicka boom boom's.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  4:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika- glad to hear you are doing better! Much hugs from me to you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  5:11:04 PM  Show Profile
get better Annika. hope the docs can figure out what is going on and that you'll be right sa rain real soon.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. I just popped in here and everyone's so busy with gardens. So exiting. Mine is so dry. It's pitiful. It's just crying out for water. I did water the poor squash and zuchinni for the chickens. They love the zuchinni. And the tomatoes, too. So I keep them watered, too. Yeah, the chickens have almost taken over the first garden. They sit out there all day while I'm not here to run them out and get the tomatoes as soon as they get nice and ripe. They sit right next to the plants and get them. Honest. I can go out there and not see a ripe tomato anywhere and a few hours later there are some and I reach in to get them and they are half eaten. Nice perfect little zuc sitting on the plant half eaten. So today I got some chicken wire I had laying around and covered as many as I could. I have had it! I have thrown so many dirt clods at them my arms hurt!

I saw Teresa Sue's post about mini aprons. I am so sorry I have not been keeping up with this thread, ya'll. It's just gotten away with me. I would be interested in it. What do I do?

And Dawn, you sure are more busy now, aren't you? Wow. Take a break.

Annika, I do hope the doctors find out what is causing your problems soon. I'm sure that is scary.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll be making cheese tommorow. I have so much milk and a few orders for feta for Wed. at the market. Which I have been doing really well at lately.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  8:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Kris! Homemade Feta sounds wonderful!! Good luck with the Wed. Market! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  09:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Hey Annika - I'm sending positive thoughts your direction!
It's been a busy week, I'm itching to get into the garden and weed but the rain just did stop so I'm having an enforced timeout:)
MIL and I did three batches of raspberry jam on Wed., we had another two trips to the hardware store, a meeting, stuff at work.....etc. etc. Anyone else doing fall planting?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:26:23 AM  Show Profile
I am getting a piece of my garden ready for fall planting. I am adding goat manure and good compost to it now and working it in. I want to plant brussel sprouts and more cabbage. Then all the good greens. It's just about time!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kris, just go to the Maven Hen house, under projects and you'll see the thread, all the info is there, once you read everything, let me know if you still want to do it and I'll add your name. Busy day here today, have about four hours of raspberry picking to do, have to go change my water at the cemetery, hit the hardware store for a good stiff brush to clean of the siding for the chicken coop so I can paint it, clean the chicken pen, then make raspberry jam the rest of the day, wheww, I'm tired already, lol
Have a sparkley day girls!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Jul 27 2009 08:11:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Ps, Kris, I want to learn how to make feta, how do you do it?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  09:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey Teresa Sue. You're too busy to make feta!! It takes forever. I have to plan a whole day or at least half a day to make it. Not so much to do but alot of waiting. But you can do other things while you wait. Anyway, I'll tell you how. I have goats so I use fresh goats milk. It takes a gallon. Take a big stainless steel stockpot. Pour in milk. Warm to 86 degrees. Add 1/4 cup culture or buttermilk. I didn't have either yesterday so I used Kefir. Let rest an hour to ripen. Add 1/2 tsp. renet (which I use vegetable renet I get from a 7th Day Adventist store) to a 1/4 cup cool water. Stir for 1 minute. Cover and let sit another hour. Then you cut the curds into 1/2" cubes and let rest 5 minutes. Stir gently 15 minutes keeping it at 86 degrees. Then pour curds into a cheesecloth lined colander ( I use the jelly bags) and hang to drain 4-6 hours. Then you cut it in half and sprinkle with course salt, about 4-5 tablespoons. Place in a bowl and cover 24 hours at room temp. Then salt again and let rest 2 more hours. Then refrigerate in a container with the liquid 5-7 days. It will last up to weeks. You can freeze it, too. Also I have done the marinated feta. You just cut it up and put in a jar. Add olive oil to cover and add fresh herbs like rosemary and garlic (the best) or thyme and oregano (good) or any way ya want. It last forever that way. Great on salads or pizzas.

So there ya go. If you have questions I'll try to answer the best I can. I have never made it with any other milk but some books say you can use store bought milk. I've made mozarella with raw cow and goat and it turns out the same. I can also make ricotta with the whey from mozarella, not from feta. I tried last night and it didn't work.

It sounds like you have a long list of to-do things. I hope you have a good day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hahaha, yea today is not a good day, but I dream of making cheese, lol.

Picked two and a half gallons of raspberries. Lunch is over, off to clean the chicken pen.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:16:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello mavens...hope everyone is having a good Monday

Annika, I sure hope that you get to feeling better soon! I'm sending thoughts and prayers your way...

I just jumped on here to see what all was going on since I was last on here...had a very busy week last week and company in town for 3 days...so today, I just plain took the day off! Haven't done a single productive thing!!...lol....which means tomorrow will be catch up day...gonna have company again thursday thru Sunday....so next Monday may be another "day off"...lol....

Has rained for 2 solid days!!! Yay...but so muddy can't really do anything in the garden....harvested about 3 dozen white currant cherry tomatoes yesterday...yum, yum, yummy!!! Those of ya'll that I sent some seeds to...are ya'lls ripening up? I hope so...they are the daintiest, sweetest little tomatoes! Officially a family favorite around here...right along with the beautiful and wonderfully rich and delicious Royal Hillbilly tomatoes that I got from Dawn!!!! So far...the hillbilly tomatoes are hands down the pretiest and most perfect tomatoes I have ever grown....not a crack or blemish to be had on a single one yet!!!

My Giant cape gooseberries are going bananas!!...lol....and also so delicious!! and of course we are still getting plenty of okra....but not much else....my garden was no where near what it was supossed to be this year......bummer....if we stay here another year...and I don't know for sure that we will....we would have to have a bigger garden plot...or permission to do some raised beds....which neither do I believe will happen....oh, well...we'll see....

Hopefully I will end up with a Ton of Giant Cape gooseberry seeds for the mavens!!!! Even though this is my first year to grow these...I don't think I've had a single problem at all.....they sprouted right up from seed with no problems....grew quickly....very low maintenence.....heavy producers....and haven't fertilized a single one yet!!! They are producing so well as they are...that I don't see the point...So...hope a bunch of ya'll want to try growing some next year...wink-wink....ok...need to go start dinner...the one and only "domestic" thing I will have done today!...lol....TTYL

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies!!

Been so busy here redoing and painting my dd's room. It is taking so long because it really needed alot of work because it was a quick paint job and wall paper removal when we first moved in. We want to do a good job this time.

Annika~Hope you find out what is wrong and feel better soon.

Corinne~Thank you for keeping us informed on all the new mavens.

Welcome new mavens!!!

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page