Page: of 46

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  06:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hahahahahah....I forgot you're hammock challenged, LMAO!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dawn- you need one of those hammocks on supports that just gently sway but don't tip! LOL Glad people are coming to you for massages and manicures! That is great!

I got a job cleaning hotel rooms for a long-stay Mariott in Billings. It is a VERY clean hotel and I have done that type of work before so I am pleased. It will fill in a few gaps in the budget but still allow me time to do school, spend time with Nora and Tala. Now I just have to get my house clean and organized! LOL
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon maven friends!!!

BBB sounds like it was absolutely wonderful. I so wish I could have been there. I feel so disconnected way over here and there doesn't seem to be anyone around that has the same interests as I do. I need someone who would love to create with me and sew, crochet, etc. There isn't anyone I know that likes any of those things. I would love to have been at BBB to see all the beautiful creations from all the different vendors and to visit MJ's store. My heart is leaping just at the thought.

Well we have been so busy with birthdays and things around here. My dd was June 20-she turned 16. BIL's b-day on June 30, my dad's on July 1 and my son's on July 5 plus my nephew's on July 10. It has been so crazy and busy around here. The time is just flying by.

DD is taking drivers ed. I'm scared. LOL~I just can't even imagine what will happen to the insurance when she starts driving. Ds has a friend over and is playing in the sprinkler. I need to get some cleaning done before picking up dd.

We are finally getting some sun here but the temps have been low. We've barely hit 80 yet and at night it's been in the 50's. It's good for me but not for the garden. It needs more heat. I lost some melon plants and the gourds and peppers aren't too happy about it either. I do have tons of lettuce and beans. The tomatoes, cucumbers and squash are ok so far.

Dawn~I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I know that if you follow your heart you will find so many wonderful things to do that will truly make you happy.

Teresa Sue~I'm sure you're missing the crew right now. Have you recuperated?

Corinne~I would love to see pictures of your home and garden in France. How have you been?

Tina~sorry to hear about the house trouble. Hopefully it all works out soon.

Kelley~you have some great ideas going through your head. Hope they work out.

Annika~how are you doing?

Hugs,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:56:41 AM  Show Profile
BTW~check out my farmgirl blog to see the vintage satchel I crocheted for my daughter. It came out so great.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  11:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good to hear from you Ruth. I'm still dragging, lol, but I've been busy, busy, babysat grandbeasties this weekend, organized my sewing room, picked 1 & 3/4 gallons raspberries this morning, going out to pick cherries as soon as I get a bite to eat, then I need to start hauling jars up from the basement and make jam. Like I said, busy, busy,lol.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  11:56:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, Teresa Sue I wish I could come and help. I have never made jam but have always wanted to.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  1:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Alee... the hammock WAS on supports.... TS, you be quiet!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  3:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hey Dawn! My Sweet Annie is growing but would you believe its still in its pot!!!

I just run right out of time all the time!! They put up a posting at work for a better job but I just dont want to put in the effort!! I am putting all my energy into farmgirl stuff! That is truly where my heart and soul lie!

I have my ten year old is with me for a few weeks and we have been having some little adventures! It started with sleeping on the front porch and waking up to a thunderstorm. Awesome! We will have more adventures while he is here!

Tina--the right new owner for your house will show up at just the right time! Hang in there!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening Mavens!! Sounds like everyone is just SUPER busy! I have been choring today...STILL not done, I'll be doing it for atleast 2 more days!

Ruth - I TOTALLY know how you feel...I have nobody around here either...but there is a new Farmgirl that it starting a chapter near me...well, 1 1/2 hours from me..but I'm hopeful that I will atleast make some farmgirlfriends that share the same interests as me!!

Dawn - Mind your manners! A please would have been nice after the you be quite comment....ROFL!!!

Marcy - My sweet annie is doing great...don't feel bad, mine is still in the pot too!!!

Hey...if any of ya'll are like me and Dawn...ya'll are gonna love a picture I have on my blog..if you want it, just right click and save it to your puter then print it...
OK...gotta finish diner...pot roast potatoes carrots and rolls...ymmmmmm!!! Wish ya'll were here for dinner at my place tonight!! Oh...Ice cream sundaes for dessert!!!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  4:09:00 PM  Show Profile
oh, yeah...by the way, I'm talking about the little girl and chicken vintage pic

######For all of you who know the "You might be a farmgirl if..." thread...check out the picture I posted on my blog this evening!!!!##########

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  8:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Kelley - I'm feeling much smarter today!! Way more relaxed too.
We are going camping again this weekend, then I have to dive into the canning too - raspberries and I have a french recipe for apricot preserves I want to try. Wow, I feel smarter but I still can't type....hmmm...
It's good to see everyone visiting.
Tina - hope your house sells!!
Teresa Sue - good luck with all your canning
Dawn - glad I could provide inspiration ala my artwork - I'm never sure what people are going to think about it:)
It looks like someone may be opening a grocery store here again - we have been without one for about 6 months and it's making me crazy - hope it works out
Not much else going on - hope y'all have a good weekend.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  06:35:41 AM  Show Profile
I have gotten through the cherry madness 150 lbs and I am now starting potato processing. I think I am going to try to hit a few farmers markets this weekend and gather a few things up. And get a few ideas for myself to see about selling enough at our farmers market to support my habit. Quilting and flowers. I have about 30 cucumbers to get rid of today and a gallon of pickling cucs to do up. I am so pleased with my garden this year. I have put down newspaper and grass clippings and have really taken the time to keep it weeded and I just smile every time I go by it.

Amy Grace Have fun Camping

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Wow Diana, that sounds great. I have been battling the weeds. You are farther south than me and have a longer growing season I think. I didn't know you were a quilter, me too. Oh, I have your little apron, I'll try and get it in the mail to you next week. My potatoes are just now bloosoming.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello mavens!!

I have been keeping up with weeding in my garden and so far so good. It's been kept under control. I think I may add newspaper to my garden. I don't have grass clippings because dh uses a mulching blade on the tractor and doesn't bag it.

It is hot and humid here today and we are expecting some rain and thunderstorms. I hope tomorrow's weather is nice because I want to head to the farmers market in the morning.

I need to learn how to can. I hope to add more things to my garden next year, too.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:55:40 AM  Show Profile
Ruth the best book I have for canning is the Ball Blue Book they really make it so anybody that can read can can. Just a note start pricing Jars because you can spend a fortune when you first start. And always pick up any that you might run across in a garage sale or thrift store. I really have a prefrence for the wide mouth jar easier to work with.

TS I was just thinking about the little farm girls and wondering how the pictures came out. I can't wait to see them.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  11:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the Ball Blue book! It's very helpful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:41:01 PM  Show Profile
uuummmmm........are gooseberries suppossed to be the size of small apples, and still growing??????????????????????????????????

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  07:32:42 AM  Show Profile
HAHA...kelley, your personality sure comes thru your writing!! Can't help you there, I don't have gooseberries.
I'm thinking of starting another blog. I must be crazy. I was thinking of doing one for my natural beauty products, skin care, etc. What do you think? I deleted my facebook cuz I could'nt keep up with it and just plain old didn't like it. I don't know. Part of me just wants to do a website so I can have a page for everything I wanna talk about, sell, etc.
It's pretty gloomy here today. Please pray for rain for me. I got most of my peas picked and heading out for the day. In the famous words of TS, make it a sparkley one!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~

Edited by - deeredawn on Jul 17 2009 11:24:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey Mavens, Well another day of picking raspberries and cherries. made a batch of sugar free raspberry jam for the hubbs using the chill over. It turned out okay. John has all four walls and the rafters up on the chicken coop. It can't be done too soon as the babies had to have chicken wire put over their horse trough as they like to perch on the edge and poop on the porch, lol. They are doing good tho, I give them grass, they especially like the dirt and the roots and one of the little darlins pecked an earwig off my hand, now, that's a chicken after my own heart, lol. Well, gotta go mow at the cemetery, then outside chores, laundry, and more jam making. No rest for the wicked, lol.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  2:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I can't believe how hot it has gotten here lately! I have peas outside drying and they are about done after 24 hours outside!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  3:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Good afternoon Mavens. Some of you are already busy canning. I still have a few weeks I think before I can begin. I did bring several bags of lettuce and some broccolli and onions to a bunch of my husbands co workers. Someone has to eat it before it spoils. Our weather is finally up in the nineties also. Yesterday I had to go fishing so spent the better part of the day on the lake mostly tanning as the two little fish I caught went right back in. It was very relaxing after all the work I've been doing in the yard and garden. At the moment my granddaughter is coloring my hair. We must keep up appearances. lol

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

TurkeyGirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Carrie
Wellington OH
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  8:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Howdy all. Dawn, we gotta catch up in person so I can live vicariously through you and hear about your trip and wonderful ideas. And If y'all think that sweet annie grows good in the pot, wait till you stick it in the ground! Mine is huge ... well the ones that the turkeys didn't dig up in their search for dusting dirt. I hid some Annie in my towels yesterday, too.

I made it through my first farmers market on my own today... and I came home nearly sold out of jams and jellies and baked stuff. (I wish I could say the same for chicken orders, tho!) On one of the MJ forum threads (can't remember where) someone posted a recipe for Honeysuckle Jelly... I really recommend it. I set out a sample jar and I totally sold out of the other jars I had. I can't wait for my honeysuckle to set some more flowers. I'm just sorry to report that I didn't even keep any for myself!

I'm slobbering on my keyboard thinking about all the raspberries! I counted a measly 10 berries off my plants. They are my daughters favorite, too, which I wonder about because they were one of the many things that made me ill when I was pregnant with her. Any how, I had to share those 10 berries with the kids, which is why I had to count them. Maybe the frost got them? And now I really need to find some berries to make more jam before next weekend. Any of my local NE Ohio farmgirls know where I can find berries reasonable?
Carrie

Opportunity is often missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  11:21:55 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carrie, glad to know you did well at the market, it is such a huge encouragement when people like our products.
good to have you with us, good luck with finding berries for your next batch.
Kelly, any time you feel under the weather, you can email me. Nothing better that a farmgirl mail or a Maven mail.
Amy Grace so glad you are doing better.
Annika, where are you and how are you holding up ?
Dawn, congratulations on your beauty blog.
Teresa Sue, grat job with your berries. Canning is among my favorite work because at the end of the day, I can see all the jars with their little labels and I feel happy and nourished.
Tina, hold on, you will find your dream house, enjoy the summer as much as you can.
Mavens, have a great sunday in your garden, and take a day off, it is sunday.

Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Jul 18 2009 11:35:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  08:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Carrie, YUP. We gotta catch up since I'm not at the hatchery anymore.... what market did you do? I wanna come toooooooo!

I have not made any jellies as I'm scared to death of trying to can on my own. Yep. I don't want to poison the world no matter HOW easy ya'll say it is. My MIL has me SPOOKED!

Speaking of MIL,. today is her b-day and I really need to get a move on if I'm gonna finish up these cinnamon rolls and wrap her gift. Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday...

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

TurkeyGirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Carrie
Wellington OH
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  12:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh jeeze Dawn. If that were my mother in law, I'd be sure to send her a jar of something I had canned :). hee. I found some blueberries just south of me, so that will be the next job. If you want to learn how to make jam and/or jelly, just let me know what you are doing this week. I have a couple projects planned, and I could always use an extra (adult) hand, even if it is just to keep me from going crazy. I've been home with the kids waaaay too much lately. I'm really thankful they get to go to Vacation Bible School this week so I get a few hours break!
Carrie

Opportunity is often missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page