deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:58:12 AM  Show Profile
3 weeks til Spring Fling! Wooooo HOOOOOOO! I'm freaking out! How do I know if I'm ready?????

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  06:02:57 AM  Show Profile
HI chicks! Speaking of, mine are just about feathered out right now. I can't wait to intro them to the older hens.... hahaha....

Whats on YOUR agenda for today? I'm going to keep on planting. I planted some black beauty and golden zukes and they are almost 8" tall! yikes!

I just got done reading this months' CLUCK. I'm in tears. I dont know why MJF's reduces me to blubber. It takes me back to Audrey's little grade school concerts, etc. Everytime I watch her perform, whether it be at sports, or otherwise, I bawl my eyes out. I could be watching a volleyball game and sitting there with tears streaming down my face. Thats what ALL OF YOU do for me. Everytime I think about what an impact any of you have mad on my life. I just get so emotional. When I talk about the Mavens, I choke. I love you all so much. And Karen, if you read this, please know that I miss you terribly. You had a way on conveying in one post how everyone felt about any particular topic and I miss that. Anyhow, I just wanted to take a moment and count my mavenly/farmgirl blessings. I love you all so much!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  06:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Morning gals!! I really miss all of you! That factory sure puts a damper in everything! I hope everyone is feeling better...nothing worse than sore Mavens! The weather is definitely Spring..it has rained all week here! The hens are not happy..they wont give me as many eggs but oh well!!

Lots of projects on the agenda today so cant stay long!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  07:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens,

Well, Dawn, today I'll be at the cemetery for the entire day, unless it pours buckets of rain on me. Tomarrow, John is doing some sheetrocking for a friend to earn some extra money. I'll be working in our garden, getting it cleaned up and ready to rototill next weekend. I prefer raised beds, but only have three, so I'll use those and the rest will have to be conventionally gardened until I get more raised beds. I have to find a large container to plant the horseradish root I ordered. I read a cool tip for those of you who use clay pots, if you line them with 2 or 3 sheets of newspaper(keep it below the soil line), the newspaper will help keep the pot from drying out so quickly. I have several of those huge terra cotta pots and I'm going to try that this year. Marcy Jo I read your write up in the Cluck, way to go Farmgirlfriend! Rene' your intro story about your bff was really good and I enjoyed it a lot. OOOOOO, btw, can't wait to see MJ's new fabric line at FarmFair
Well, I have a full day on my plate today, so ta ta lovelies, remember, have a Sparkley Day!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  07:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Good rainy morning! It's raining buckets here. My rain barrel is full already. Yeah! It was down to just a few inches. My garden is lovin' this! And the ducks, too. Their little pond is back. They are in ducky heaven right now. And all my chicks are getting feathers and looking good. I can't wait to get my Buff's outside. And the mama hen is doing a great job so far with hers. All eight are still here! Of course they are still in the hen house til the chicks get bigger so the ducks don't eat them up like I think they did with the last batch. They are 11 days old. So are the Buff's. I'm still missing my poor ole rooster. So I am hoping one of the chicks will be a roo like him.

My garden is growing fast. After I planted 2 weeks ago today, we had rain on Sunday night and have not had it since til yesterday. And it is still going strong. So this should really get things going.

And I noticed my heirloom tomatoes were really slow taking off. Some are big while others are much smaller. I planted 4 of the 9-pack cells the last few days with lots of good composted manure and straw from the hen house and watered with manure tea, so I am hoping with the rain all that will get them on the way to growing. We'll see soon.

So happy planting and gardening, ya'll. I hope your knee gets better, Alee. And Dawn, I hope you get everything done so you can relax for a few minutes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  4:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Dawn - I choke up at the least little thing, well not really everything but everytime I see a stage performance and they do a curtain call, and every parade that involves kids. Go figure - we went to see my son in the Jr. Lilac parade 4 years ago and the minute the kids started going by me I was in tears - our school was an hour and half away from marching by me, so there I was all choked up for 2 hours, the people around me thought I was a nutball.
The weather turned cruddy between when I took lunch at work and when I got off work so we are taking it easy indoors today - that is okay, this week did me in and I had one of those mornings at work where I just couldn't get on top of things.
Marcy Jo - I loved reading about you in the cluck, and Rene I loved your piece too. Proud to see all the mavens in the badges, better get my behind in gear and fill out the darn applications:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  06:03:44 AM  Show Profile
AG: LOL! Nutball! Thats MY word too! Yeah, I also cry when I watch the Price is Right... so I don't watch it. Seriously, I get all worked up for those that win and I'm in tears!

Today's gonna be a nice day. Finally got the lawn mowed, and baled....j/k. It was long enough. I SHOULD'VE baled it! Had to cut it twice. Once on a high setting and then a bit lower. Took me 4 hours to do a 1.75 job.... sheesh! If I had it my way, I'd have the whole area fenced in for pasture with a pond and an orchard....no mowing.

TS: I cannot wait to come visit you and the rest of the girls. Please do not go thru any extra trouble for me.

Welllll, I need to go. I'm hoping to have the first Harvest Thyme Farm Girl meeting today. I need to bake my Key Lime Cake and make some drink stuff up. See ya!

Marcy! I'm so proud of you!!!!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  08:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- Glad to hear the chicks are doing so well! I hope Russel JR is in there~

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  09:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Dawn - too funny, I have found myself tearing up at really inappropriate things, not necessarily The Price is Right, but there are a couple of commercials that get me every time!! I'm trying to get my husband to say yes to just putting raised beds in the front yard so we don't have to mow any more, for some reason he is opposed, not like he mows the yard, it's our son that does it. Maybe when Randy goes to college and I am expecting John to get it done......or if he thinks it is his idea:D
I finally got the Square Foot Gardening book from the library and I am thinking we might actually have enough beds dug, for some reason I never quite got how to lay out the grid till I read it. I don't know what kind of a learner that makes me.
Our chickens are doin' good, John wants to name the Buff Orpington hen Farrah after Farrah Fawcett - you know, blond, feathered...I'm not convinced. Maybe I can trade him the naming rights to the hens for the decision over what to do with the front yard, hmmm...
Hope everyone has a good Sunday, I have to head to town - again - for a birthday celebration form my mom at her church.
Later,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  09:12:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah - Dawn, will you save me a piece of that cake?? I love citrus anything.
And Gail - got the shopping bag yesterday - thank you so much, how cute is that? Yours will be in the mail tomorrow, or Tuesday for sure
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  09:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Maven sisters.. I have not been around much the past week. Busy here at home. The weather "Sucks" Rain and cool 50's Supposedly warmer next week, but I cannot wait. I have been experiencing SAD so I called up two of my younger sisters and we are going to fly to San Diego next Thursday. One lives in Washington the other in Arizona. We have not had a Sisters Weekend in 15 years... So we are going to sit by the pool, walk the beach and drink wine, shop and play cards.. I will return Monday.. recharged & to hopefully start really gardening.. We got our Bees last night so hopefully this will be springtime by mid May! It will be a great Mothers Day.. for us .. no husbands, no kids, no pets.. no dishes.. I cannot believe I am really going to be in warm weather.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  1:07:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh you lucky woman you! I hope you have the best time with your sisters and come back recharged reasy to go again. And congrats on the bees, too.

Dawn, I want cake, too!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  1:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
OOO Cheryl! Got room in a suitcase for me and Nora?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  4:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Well, Cheryl, like my granddaughter says, you're a lucky dog! LOL!
Hope everyone is doing fine. I worked in my garden all day despite the icky weather. Took my compost bin down, my compost turned out great, very light and fluffy. Except the egg shells.....they just didn't break down. No worries tho, I'll just crush them, I'm going to use the compost for all my big terra cotta pots. I raked the whole garden, burned all the old raspberry canes and other garden waste, weeds, a poor rose bush that didn't make it through the winter, etc. The Hubbs is sheetrocking a garage today to make some extra money, he's going to be so surprised when he sees how much I go done. Well, I better go, my timer is going to go off any second telling me that my bread dough is ready to turn into the pans.
Oh, before I forget, AG, if we can't get together can I drop off your goodies at your house next time I make a run over that way?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  4:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristin.. I hope to RELAX and have a great time for sure.. Sorry Alee.. You are welcome to come along but its a totally no husbands no pets no kids weekend... Yahoooooooooooo ! Teresa Sue.. You sound like you need a break you can come along too..and besure to bring a couple bottles of wine !

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  8:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl - I hope you have a fabulous time, what a great thing to have a sister weekend!! I am an only child so I have had to sort of make my own sisters - sometimes it works, sometimes not so much, anyhow I don't think anyone but a true sister could slap you upside the head and drag you off on a retreat weekend (not to say that it has to be a blood related sister, anyhoo).
Teresa Sue - just let me know when you are headed this way, I know you go to Cheney fairly often don't you? I could meet you, have you here, whatever... I will be very excited to finally meet you in person, seems silly considering we live so close but life sure does keep a farmgirl busy:)
Good night, sleep tight, and all the rest,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  08:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Have a great time Cheryl.

Amy Grace, it IS crazy we live so close and haven't met in person isn't it? That would be great, even if I could put the boxes, yes, I said boxes,lol, on your porch. I'm really busy right now, trying to get the cemetery ready for Memorial Day, and it comes early this year too! That and trying to get my garden to a point I can actually plant in it, plus I need to clean out the two freezer, can my lard, can meat, get my chicken coop built,...........................it never ends, oh, and if I brought a backhoe into the house and knocked of the tops of the mess that would be great too! Just another day in paradise, right girls? Have a sparkley day, ;^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mavens! I've been away again. We have sooooo many new and yet to be born babies on the farm, I've been working myself silly ( silly may be a permanent thing with me these days ) Tried to start tomatoes and they all died from some kind of mold-y thing ...Bleh! so I'm buying heirloom starts this year. I hope it dries out so that I can work outside and not get stuck in the mud. I live at the bottom of a big hill and it all drains into my yard when we have wet weather. But. My tulips are up and lovely! and my plum trees are trying to bloom. So I'm happy. Anyone in the area go to the Moscow Renaissance faire this last weekend? It rained and rained! but it was fun for a bit anyway.

I'm sorry I'm not being much of a Maven these days...just so busy.
Hugs to all!

TS and AG and all other local girls!...Would LOVE to meet you. Hopefully at the BB&B if not sooner. Maybe we could all meet up at Sisters Coffee house in Moscow or something or at the Co-op.

My friend and neighbor , Janice and I are thinking of having monthly get together at one of the coffee houses here and just chat and make friends with other farm girls and meet those that live close. Any one interested? This isn't really just a Maven invite, just thought I'd throw it out anyway. we don't have a day set or anything yet, just talked about it this morning. It will have to be after lambing and kidding! But it would be fun to meet some of you local and semi local girls!
Everyone have a sparkley day (I LOVE that sentiment!)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  09:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I would love to meet with you Annika. I ordered heirloom tomatoes and peppers, they are supposed to be here in about two weeks, I figured since last year's weather was such a bust and my transplants languished in the cold weather, I would wait until later to get them.....okay, off to get ready for work and pay bills, ta ta, for now.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:18:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I gotta pay the bills today too....I haven't had a day off without my husband here in a couple weeks, I have a hard time cleaning/organizing/bill-paying with him around.
Annika - count me in!! Well, as long as my schedule allows, since I write the schedule I can be a little flexible as long as I'm fair to my employees - anyhow, would love to have a farmgirl meet in person.
Teresa Sue - you could certainly leave boxes(!) on my porch, and if it's raining the mudroom is open too, as long as you promise not to judge me based on the mess there. John has about 5 wore-out screw guns laying around along with other detritus of a busy life. I've tried to get him to do something with them but you know "maybe I'll rebuild them someday", seems like if that was going to happen it might have happened already (they've been there 3 years plus)
Having a fairly productive day - I finished a clothespin apron and almost finished a clothespin bag for my mom's birthday, plus read the new Farmchicks cookbook - definitely worth picking up, some good stories, craft ideas and recipes.
I'm hoping to get the potato bed finished today and the next phase of chick housing built - I can't believe how much they've grown in 5 days. Plus I have more sewing to do, and dinner to make, and, and, and.....:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Lunch time~ just checking in. Oh yes, Amy Grace I know all about that tool thing. The Hubbs could never understand why I didn't think an array of carpentry/sheetrocking/cement tools did nothing for the decor of our house. Judge you, did you read my previous post, I NEED a backhoe to clean my house, lol.......

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:52:13 AM  Show Profile
TS when you're through with that backhoe, could you send it on down? purty please? My house is a disaster zone....

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everybody! Well, I got the troops in gear and we tackled the backyard this weekend. New growing beds, whitewashed fence and table. They even cleaned the inside of the house! Still so much to do with prom and open house!! I would love to stay here all day but I must pop in and say hi!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  1:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I could probably use a backhoe too.....Just cleaned the laundry room and it turned into more of a project than I was expecting.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  2:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the reminder about bills! I need to get mine paid today too! It never ends, does it?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: