2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  05:49:21 AM  Show Profile
Its OFFICIAL!

One month to Spring Fling!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm hoping that with the influx of new Ohio farmchicks I will be able to crack the whip and put them all to work! tee hee.... I can't believe its only a month out. That is gonna go sooooo fast. So, if'n ya dont hear from me much, I'm busy!

By the way, I gotta new Columbian Wyandotte chick. I named her Shakira (after the latina singer from Columbia). I named one Ameracauna Pudge (chubby cheeks) and a New Hampshire Red (Big Rita-she's huge). So far those are the only names I can come up with!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  06:24:57 AM  Show Profile
Morning Mavens!!!
Dawn..love the names...haven't even tried to pick out names for my 6 new ones, but I think Emily would like to repeat "Daisy and Duke" for the ducks, but I'm trying to convince her to pick something else! I have been super busy!!!

Was on fire ant/laundry/transplant/restart seed duty all day yesterday, and looks like I'll be doing much the same today!!! We were up to 94 degrees yesterday, and weather man says 98 today!!!!! Gotta love the South!!!! I actually had "sunkissed" cheeks last night when I looked in the mirror!

I have tons of weeds to pull in the garden!! Our corn is about 3 - 4 inches tall right now, bbut the weeds are just as tall! our spinach is DELICIOUS!! But I'm still a little leary of planting all of my other seeds...farmers almanac is calling for a heavy frost next week....but then again.....94 and 98 degrees????? LOL....who knows...I'll wait till May 2 just to be safe!! We have a 6-7 month growing season here, i might as well be patient!!

Hope the weather is starting to warm up for you northern girls!!! I'll share 15 degrees of mine with ya'll!! Tee hee!!! TTYL!!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  06:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Maven dears!

Just a quick note, I'm going into Spokane this morning with a friend, she is taking me to a belated birthday breakfast, lol, then we are going to the WSQ(Washington State Quilters)meeting. Should be a fun day, and I need one.

It's been slow at the Hubb's work, usually it picks up by now. Yesterday when John came home he said everyone had their hours cut to 32 hours a week. Except him, they told him he would only be gauranteed two days a week in service work, if their was more, fine, but if not, he had the option of making up his wages by commission on sales. So......long night. Anywhoo, I am going to have to go into 1930's mode, lol.

Thank you Dawn for the purple carrots, carrots for carrots, huh? LOL Hopefully next year I will have homegrown seed to share. Sorry some of the bottles broke, I thought I had them packed in there tight enough, darn.

Have a sparkely day, hehehehe

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Apr 23 2009 06:33:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  07:16:07 AM  Show Profile
TS: I guess you DID send me carrots. I just grabbed and mailed. I think its wise we ALL go into 1930's mode. JerrBear still hasnt found a job and it aint looking pretty for me either. My hours just got the first cuts... and we are still BUSY at the hatchery. So..... I too am rethinking....altering my life.

Not much happening today. Phones are busy here at work and people are grouchy. I dont care for days like this. Alas, I must be pleasant and help where I can.

Looking forward to the next 3 days of 70-80 degree weather! Have a good one ladies.

PS: finally got the camcorder fixed. I will make a movie of Spring Fling for those of you that cant be there. IF its really juicy, I'm selling them! LOL!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  08:13:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey Dawn- My chickens have fleas (yes, I know that they aren't supposed to get fleas, but mine do!) The DE isn't working any other suggestions?

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  4:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Yikes - 1930's mode it is. Some tips from my grandma: save every single cottage cheese container you ever see (yes I mean every one!!) - you just never know when you might need it, don't just throw that worn-out bra away - cut that elastic off and save it, save every single piece of ric-rac you have left over - even if it is less than an inch long, keep your refrigerator at 44 degrees - it costs less to run it, I could go on but you get the idea - grandma is scotch!! I love her dearly - I was the recipient of all the scraps of ric-rac and bra elastic though, and while I'm finding ways to use the ric-rac I'm stumped on the bra parts. What I'm trying to say is that the depression left its mark on a previous generation and this will surely leave its mark on ours.
Teresa Sue - sorry to hear about John's hours, not cool and Dawn, I thought Jerry was working..... Thinking about you guys.
Hoping for the best,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Apr 23 2009 4:30:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  4:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace- If the elastic is still good and around 6 inches long it could be used to made cloth diapers.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  5:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Alee - the elastic is no longer anything near what elastic should look like and they are about 2 inches long - told you she saved everything, plus I'm way past needing to think about diapers, 'ceptin' maybe for the dog since she pees inside at random, depending on her mood I guess
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  7:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens, Been so busy on my chicken coop but finally got it finished. The girls got moved in today. Now I have one section of fence to finish with a large gate to the yard. Have planted a few things with Cheryl in her garden. I need to get out and start pulling the weeds out of my asparagus patch. Still waiting to get going on the other garden hopefully next week. Have fencing to put up around my garden here at home. The deer just can't stay away. I could use some help on the fencing, hint. Sounds like everyone is really busy which is understandable. Dawn I wish I could afford to come to the Spring Fling but am saving for the BBB. I hope to get some more of my projects done around here as I am itching to get in my fishing boat and cruise the lake. Warm weather hits and I gotta be outside. Boy does my house suffer. Oh well.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  7:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the thoughts girlies, I appreciate it. Hey, Amy Grace you could sew all those elastic piece together, hell, you don't know, it might get so bad, you'll be makin' your own bras, hahahahahahahahahha.

Lillian put a pan of wood ashes(make sure they don't have any hot coals in them) for the chickens to roll in, I've heard that will help get rid of vermin on chickens. Couldn't hurt, they might look like Pigpen from Charlie Brown walkin' around but that won't hurt anything, lol
Really good to hear from you, missed you!

John's grandmother lived through the GD~ we will now refer to the Great Depression as GD~ and she saved EVERYTHING, she went home from the dump with more stuff that she ever took there, lol
Bless her heart though, she taught me to can and quilt, I'm sure that I'll be using both of those skills to get us through this. Like I told my daughter tho, we've been through situations like this before and we are battledscared vets who will make it through this one too.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  7:55:19 PM  Show Profile
It's funny - my husband and I have been so broke since we got married that this doesn't feel like anything new. We are actually in better shape because we could afford to buy all the garden stuff and the chickens cash - a first for us. Usually we just didn't do stuff like that because we couldn't afford it. I'm definitely stocking up though, although Teresa Sue, I still don't think I'm going to be desperate enough to use grandma's bra elastic - lord I hope not anyway:) It is cool that she was such a saver though - I have a drawer full of snaps, hooks and eyes, bias tape - some of which came wound on wood so I know it's really old - that was hers, I'm using some of it. The tag line on my signature "use it up, wear it out....etc." came from grandma too. She had another saying - "a patch beside a patch is neighborly, a patch upon a patch is beggarly" I guess when you are patching your patches you're really down and out - or at least that was the dividing line for her
I am pooped - DH is in a rotten mood with the stuff going on at his work and it takes it out of a gal - he's working tonight and sleeping while I'm at work tomorrow so hopefully he'll snap out of it by tomorrow night.
Night ladies
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  07:38:54 AM  Show Profile
Lillian: The only other thing I can think of is Prozap Powder. I can't believe the DE isn't working. I love the stuff although some people are very against it. You may want to try mite tags, but they contain Pyrethine..... it depends on you. Did you dust the birds with DE? nest boxes, flooring etc? just asking.

AG: Jerry is working on a dairy/hog farm. Its..... more like helping a friend out while he's outta work. We are keeping out heads above water, but I need insurance. My blackouts have kicked back in and I'm in a lot of pain (leg, lower left quandrant). I'm to the point I can only owrk a half day cuz I spend the other half in tears. this is not a sympoathy call, I'm really scared. I'm either going to the chiro this aft or the ER. I can't take it anymorew and I have a HUGE pain threshold. This is a woman that did childbirth au' natural. No nothing. I cut off a finger in 10th grade and didn't cry. I'm a tough chick. But this is different..... and I can't explain it.

Also, if I'm saving everything... where do I put it?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  07:43:17 AM  Show Profile
Just a thought, it you are saving bra parts. Why not use the cups as plant container liners? Big cups could hold bigger plants... haha, that's a joke. However, if you cut the cups away from the elastic, you could use them in pots to minimize water run out. Just a thought. I can completely see saving the eye hooks and elastic. BTW, a few weeks ago I actually went to an old Ben Franklin store. They had APRONS, and long socks, and all these things that I haven't seen in YEARS. It was definitly neat. I'm going to buy my first shirt pattern after spring fling and try to make my own sleevless button up tops. I'm gonna TRY.... I like the camp style shirts too. It should be almost the same pattern except for the sleeve part.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  07:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Dawn- there is DE everywhere, the fleas are just having a party.

TS- We always put the wood stove ashes in the chickns dusting area and haven't really had a problem until this flea issue.

I'll keep doing my research and go from there. Thanks for the help. I hope you finally get a diagnosis Dawn, it has been quite a long time with this problem of yours.

Amy Grace- I have to tell you, my grandma gave me some old sewing stuff of hers and it also consisted of old underwear/bra elastic. She still saves EVERYTHING! Gotta love her!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  08:01:11 AM  Show Profile
OH! I dont know if I'm repeating myself here, but I went to Lehmans Hardware weds. I went to get some of these fans that you set on top of your wood burner and they are heat activated....anyhoo, as I was wandering through I noticed they have a wall portraying all the famous people, movies etc that their products have been featured in. And right up front was MJF! YAY US!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  4:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi farmgirls,

Hmmmmmmm.....Amy Grace, I think your Grandma and my hubb's grandma were sisters, lol. We can laugh and joke all we want, but when you think of it, for our relatives to be like that, they must have gone through some really bad times that ,really threatened their security. I know what you mean tho, Amy Grace, John and I have been married going on 33 years and we've been through some tough times here and there. I'm a bit worried, but, like I told John, at least we don't have any kids to feed, clothe, and put through school this time around. I almost wish John's co would just lay him off because then we would get whats left of our ravaged 401k, pay the govt their half and then we could pay off our land and car and be debt free. All I can say is I think the whole country is in for one heck of a ride.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  7:05:15 PM  Show Profile
yes ma'am.... and I'm blowing half a grand on flying to Washington.... where are MY priorties? With my PEEPS!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  7:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Dawn - I didn't know you were having the blackouts etc. again, I'm so sorry. It is so important to have that insurance - that is why I'm using my two college degrees to work in a grocery store - admittedly it is an organic store and I get to sell cake and cheese and educate people about local food but I could do it without the degree, however I have really good insurance for our whole family so.....right now I'm staying put. I'm thinkin' about you farmgirlfriend, hope things turn the corner.
Teresa Sue - I know, my John always keeps working, even just two days a week, but sometimes it seems like it would be more of a blessing to have a layoff mixed blessings I guess.
I had no idea so many people saved bra parts - here I always thought it was my quirky grandma.
I think we farmgirls are lucky, we already have that can-do attitude and willingness to do without the unnnecessary stuff. I'm hoping this economic turmoil has some positive outcomes - I heard someone saying they thought it would mean a return to quality, as in we will stop accepting cheap crap instead of quality merchandise. That would be a fundamental change - I don't want to buy the same thing 5 times, I want to buy it once and use it for years. I purchased a spading fork in March and it broke already.... Anyhow, I digress.
Dawn, hoping you are feeling better soon
Everyone else - cheers and have a fabulous evening
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Fellow Mavens -

I think you might me proud of me and I just have to brag!

Today, here in Buffalo it's about 75 degrees(very unusual), so I was on the deck working on my heirloom container gardening. When it came to garden markers I realized I didn't have anything, so on went the thinking cap, I looked around for less then 5 minutes and found the following to make my markers: A beat up old eight quart basket, a sharpie marker and my stamp pad and valentine stamps.

First I broke off retangular pieces from the basket then on the tip stamped a heart design, (a different one on each) the with the sharpie, wrote under the heart stamp what the container contained!

They just look so cute stuck in the pot with little seedlings!

Sue Feely
Sister #349
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  3:22:31 PM  Show Profile
yay!..the sign is finally up in my front yard..my house is now officially "for sale" as of 2 p.m. this afternoon. woohoo ..now hoping that it will sell quickly.
----------
I am so very, very sorry to hear that the black out spells have come back Dawn:0( have they checked you for any sort of blood clot, or anuerysym(sp?)so sorry you are going through this sort of thing.
----------
hoping everyone is enjoying some lovely weather and enjoying their planting/gardening.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  4:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Sue - what a good idea - that sounds so cute!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  05:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Not so fast!

And maybe not a great idea either!

Rained last night, can you guess what happened? Yep, the heart stamps kinda melted into the wood!
Next time I will have to thing of useing the stamps with something more permanent!

Sue Feely
Sister #349
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  07:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sue- Next time do the same thing, but put a layer of clear wood varnish over the top!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maven Teatime Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: