Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Cherry..let me know if you want the China Bayles books! I have listed some on paperback swap...but I would just as soon send them to you!! I have the first 5 I think ready to send if you want them.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  1:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Right now, for fun I'm reading "The Seekers" by John Jakes. It's a great series. But mostly I'm reading and re-reading my gardening books. It seems I do this every summer. You would think I would have them memorized by now, but alas, the memory isn't what it used to be ;)
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  3:10:24 PM  Show Profile
That is why it is ok for me to buy books, I can re-read them many times cause I forget
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  1:33:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading Thomas Kinkade's Cape Light book, "A Gathering Place". I'm almost done.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  3:43:35 PM  Show Profile
I am reading "The Help" which is a new book by a first time author. So far, very very good. It's about the black maids who used to work in the South in the 1960s when civil rights were just beginning to be a dream.

You guys have gone and forced me to buy some more books. Just ordered Mrs. Mike and a few books by the author of Freckles (maybe I saw these on another thread!) and now I want the Thomas Kinkade books.

Last week I finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and have to say I loved it. I kept picking it up at Borders and then putting it down. Seeing it on this thread made me go for and and I am so happy I did. Thanks!

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  8:11:22 PM  Show Profile
I just finished a wonderful biography about Joseph Campbell. I am now reading Thomas Merton's "no man is an island." Very good and inspiring. ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  9:05:20 PM  Show Profile
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, by Annie Dillard. Breathtaking!

Several others, but this one is by far the best. Can't believe I've waited so long to get to it.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  10:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Just finished The Compassionate Carnivore and highly recommend it! Especially for farm girls. I'm reading Kathy Reichs new book "Devil Bones". She's a forensic anthropologist and writes fiction based on some of her cases. Really good books!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Ooooo, Kelly, I LOVE Kathy Reichs!! Do you ever watch Bones?

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I LOVE Bones. I started watching because of the books. Booth is pretty nice eye-candy too!

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  12:36:40 PM  Show Profile
You ain't kidding, girl! I might slop around in some of the nastiness they find themselves in if I could do it with HIM by my side!!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  2:20:54 PM  Show Profile
Oooh Yeah,
I'd like me some of that Seely Booth
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  7:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm reading plain perfect right now by Beth Wiseman. Very good so far!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  03:28:36 AM  Show Profile
Just finished My Antonia....very good. I think I had to read this for school when I was young and did not appreciate it.....well this time I really enjoyed it. Very sweet.

Beverly[
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:09:22 AM  Show Profile
I love My Antonia. Maybe I will read it again.

Right now I'm reading The Mummy or Ramses the Damned by Anne Rice and Atlas Shrugged....still.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:37:41 AM  Show Profile
>> since I've got a lot of books, I've started re-reading some of my favorites <<

"Delta Wedding" - Eudora Welty - a wonderful look at 20's era Mississippi Plantation life -- very good, and was one of the first Welty books I read.

"Come & Go Molly Snow" - a first time author Mary Ann Taylor-Hall -- she may have more books out now, but this was one of her early works. A gut wrenching novel of a woman bluegrass singer, and the death of her child.

"Quite A Year For Plums" - Bailey White -- one of my most favorite southern writers, she's also been a longtime author/contributor to NPR -- absolutely one of the kind of books you need to read that makes you literally laugh out loud.

"The Robber Bride" -- Margaret Atwood -- I'd read this some years ago from the library in S.C., but just before we moved here, I happened to pop into a local thrift store, and happened to see an autographed first edition of this book on sale for I think $1.00 -- she's a wonderful author, an' I have another of her books, "Cat's Eye" -- almost all her work is set in her native city of Toronto. A very good read.

I'll naturally think of other books once I get off line, but these are what I'm re-reading now. Makes up for the heat and humidity!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  10:04:28 AM  Show Profile
I just finished Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights for what had to be at least the twentieth time. One of my all time favorite's. I am such a sucker for anything Bronte or Austen. Or anything classic literature for that matter. I am also re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I read through them all once and am re-reading them all again. Later on today, I'm going through my closet of over seventy books that I have put away to read and picking something new to start. Yes, I am a book nut! Too much sometimes, I think.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  2:47:49 PM  Show Profile
Just finished "The Blue Zones", Dan Buettner. A very easy reading book on living simply, healthy, and spirit-lifting. "Lessons for living longer from people who've lived the longest". ...not that I know if I want to live past 100.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  5:13:03 PM  Show Profile
I just bought Julie/Julia yesterday, can't wait to start that one!..and have a new one... "Sea Glass" By Anita Shreve too...that my son's fiance gave me. I have a stack of books to read after my knee surgery. I am finishing up another of the China Bayles Mysteries now..I think it is #13. I like them...easy quick cozy mysteries.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Aug 15 2009 5:33:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  5:21:06 PM  Show Profile
I am reading Remember by Karen Kingsbury.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  5:32:32 PM  Show Profile
I love that book Jeannie!!! Isn't it fun that alot of us have the same sort of taste in books?

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  6:22:57 PM  Show Profile
I just read The Noticer by Andy Andrews and it was awesome, thank you Heather for sending it to me!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  9:16:34 PM  Show Profile
I am just starting The Mists of Avalon....it'll be my evening read during the Fair so I can unwind after looonnnngggg days in the barns!

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  07:33:15 AM  Show Profile
Kelly,

I loved that book. Once I started it I found it so hard to put down. Then again, I love anything to do with King Arthur.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Aug 16 2009 07:33:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  08:16:05 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, 'SEA gLASS' is a good read, I have it.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Edited by - Nancy Gartenman on Aug 16 2009 08:16:29 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page