rachreymack
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Rachael
Moscow Idaho
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  4:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Isn't paperbackswap.com great!? I was able to exchange 2 books within the first week I signed up.
I just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I had a hard time putting it down. I really liked how she wove real historical facts and stories into her novel.
Now I am reading Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. It's a bit gritty, horrifying and funny at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  5:07:04 PM  Show Profile
I find that I am reading alot more books that I wouldn't have discovered if it weren't for paperback exchange. I love it! I LOVE even more the recomendations that I get here from my farmgirl friends...I have read some really good books I had never heard of..LOVE it!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  6:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Jenny-- If you like the Amish type books, Have you ever read the Miriam's Journal series? They are excellent! I read the series when my Mom bought it and sadly when I left home, it stayed. That Christmas, Mom send me the whole series. :)

They are a great look into what its like being a woman in the Amish community.
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  10:27:04 AM  Show Profile
I end up with fines at the library, too. I need to check out paperbackswap.com.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  1:33:07 PM  Show Profile
I think of my fines at the library as my monthly donations. And I make sure the girls don't mind that I always seem to owe them 50 cents here and there, which they don't...

Right now I'm reading The Letters by Luanne Rice. She's one of my favorite authors, AND she's a facebook friend! Fictional drama, chick lit, romance all rolled into one. Love her writing.
I'm also reading The Purpose Driven Life, trying to get back into a more God-centered existance. This book has already helped me tremendously, and tonight I'm stepping foot into a church for the first time in 5 years. YAY!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  1:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Leslie I hope it is a good experience for you tonight. I did the Purpose Driven Life with a small Bible Study group, makes you think a bit.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  4:34:02 PM  Show Profile
"Shy Boy" by Monty Roberts. Great read, touching story...

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  5:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Jessie..I will have to look for those!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  6:23:29 PM  Show Profile
That's wonderful, Leslie

I have read The Purpose Driven Life a number of times. Each time I read it, the Holy Spirit reveals new precepts to me. It really does remind of of what really matters and what my purpose in life is meant to be.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  07:43:18 AM  Show Profile
I am reading "The Compassionate Carnivore" by Catherine Friend...VERY interesting and entertaining.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  4:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, my DD saw The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and absolutely loved it!

Paperbackswap is fantabulous!

Girls, I hit the mother lode this past Saturday!! The hubs and I hit a store called Garden Ridge where I was hoping to find end-of-season gardening pots. Instead, I found a table full of hardbacks priced for .25 EACH!! The hubs told me I could have all I could carry, so I loaded up with about a dozen books! I still had marks on my arms almost two hours later from carrying all of those books! Quite a few of them were Southern authors. I am so excited to read all of them, I want to take a "bookation" and just lock myself away for a week or three!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  5:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Is reading great I am so happy to have time, I was taking classes for a while so no time but now...especially just before I go to sleep, my wind down for the eve.
Cherry I hope you enjoy all your books!!

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  5:57:27 PM  Show Profile
I read The Purpose Driven Life a few years ago. Got a lot out of it! I am reading The Promise of Lumby now. Cute and easy to do in a few afternoons.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  5:37:07 PM  Show Profile
Anne George is an author ya'll should check out for quick, funny reads! Especially you, Nikki. You'll get a kick out of recognizing the places she writes about. Jenny, I bet they're similar to the China Bayles books.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  5:48:41 PM  Show Profile
I just finished the newest of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, Finger Lickin' Fifteen. It was good, but as always, over too soon. I am also reading Glenn Beck's Common Sense. I have a Sony Reader and have a lot of classics downloaded, that I want to start reading. I just have to decide which one to start with. Mostly, I read the inside of my eyelids, because by the time I get home and have the time to read, I'm too tired to keep my eyes open.

Sue
Farmgirl #656

"This is the day that God made, let us drink juice and enjoy it!" - Reece Stutts, age 3
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  9:42:46 PM  Show Profile
i need to get started on Common Sense... i'm a big glenn beck fan. i'm trying to start thomas paine's common sense first, but the old english stuff usually makes it take a long time to get through.
other than that, i'm reading Papillon by Henri Charriere

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:13:06 AM  Show Profile
Cherry..I will have to look for her books too. I am amazed how many there are in the China Bayles series....17!! I am on #6 already though (Love Lies Bleeding) and it is fun that they are set in an herb shop. I think after this one I will read a book I have on hand (either John Steinbeck's The Long Valley or one of the many Janette Oke books I have on hand (love them!) I have I think 5 of the China Bayles books waiting "in the wings" that I got from paperback exchange. My youngest daughter (who is quite a bookworm herself) got me started on this series...she got 4 of them at a yard sale for me on the 4th of July...luckily the first one and then the others are out of order..so far I have been able to get them in order by the time I needed them. I am up to where I will read two of the others from the first four next...whew!
Have you all read the books by Fannie Flagg? They are all really good!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  03:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Jenny I have all of Jeanette Oke books!! She is the one that got me started on Christian fiction!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:52:37 AM  Show Profile
Arn't they good!!??

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  3:23:04 PM  Show Profile
The Calling of Emily Evans was my first read!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  3:29:57 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever read Educating Waverley by Laura Kalpakian? Excellent read!

For information on SUMMER SNOW please visit www.amywarwick.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  5:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you read the Cape Light Series by Thomas Kinkade? Those books are so good, I just wish there were more of them!

Sue
Farmgirl #656

"This is the day that God made, let us drink juice and enjoy it!" - Reece Stutts, age 3
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  5:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Sue I read all of them, they are great. I wish there would be some more as well.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  8:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Sue, I love the Stephanie Plum series!!! I came THAT close to buying 15 the other day, but let my baby girl get a book she wanted instead. (I know, I know, I'm such a good, thoughtful Mama!) But you are so right, they are over much too quick! They always leave me wanting more, which, I suppose, is the mark of a good writer! And you and Elizabeth need to go on You Tube and do a search for Bob Basso and watch his videos. He portrays Thomas Paine in regards to today's political climate. Very interesting!

Jenny, I'd swap up Anne George with you for the China Bayle's books only my entire set of her books are making their rounds! I think my grandmother has them now. I really need to see where they are. Hmmmm. And of course I've read Fannie Flagg! No self-respectin' Southern girl hasn't!!

I just finished Bastard out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison. Kinda gritty. Somewhat disturbing. But the "flow" is so laid-back Southern the words may as well have been printed in molasses. I highly recommend it, not so much for it's content as much as for how wonderfully written it is.

~~Cherry~~

Edited by - CherryMeDarlin on Jul 23 2009 8:22:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  8:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Cherry, email me your addy and I'll send the Stephanie Plum book to you. My daughter just read it and I'm done with it, so I'd like to pass it on. I'd be thrilled if you'd take it and then do the same.

Sue
Farmgirl #656

Edited by - GrammyGoose on Jul 23 2009 8:42:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page