Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:32:57 AM  Show Profile
Lovely Bones. I did like it Cherry..it made me think, and I WAS happy that the rapist didn't just get away with it and take off forever, but it was sure a different sort of book. Very different. Not at all how I thought it would be. But good. If anyone wants to read it, let me know and I will send it along for ya.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  4:50:32 PM  Show Profile
I went to Borders today and got some new books. The problem is they all seem so great that it will be hard to choose one to start with!!

I am reading City of Thieves which was a gift from a student for summer. Then I will choose from the following:

The Promise of Lumby (loved the cover, so looked inside)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Whistling in the Dark
The Help

I got onto Borders after looking for some of the books you have read, and then saw these on the same pages and all of them had fantastic reviews, so had to have them. Like I said, the first 5 pages of them all are soooo good!! Thanks for all the book talking!! You guys make getting good books a sure thing.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  09:04:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm ashamed to admit that I gave up on ol' Virginia. I just couldn't put myself through it anymore. Maybe this winter I'll pick her back up again when the dreary, drizzly weather sets in. But then that might be a depression overload and sink me in a funk I'd never recover from!

So, I picked up The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant. It's about a girl living during the 15th century in Italy who wants to be a painter, yet the social norms (and the church) frown on it. If the author did her homework, the historical detail is fabulous! There's an unexpected homosexual "twist" to it that caught me off guard because who thinks of gay rights in 1495? But overall I've had a hard time putting it down.

Nikki, I love that you're reading a book on our dialects! I always thought that dropped "r" was an exaggeration of our accent. I didn't realize that in L.A. they were more prone to do that. I'll be noticing now myself!

Elise, I love the LOL factor of a book, too! I read what you wrote about the preacher to my DD and we spent a good hour thinking up funny first names to go along with the last name of "Pecker"! We were rolling!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  09:39:50 AM  Show Profile
I am reading the China Bayles mysteries by Susan Witig Albert..they are cozy mysteries..easy to carry along where ever....good quick summer reads...set in an herb shop in Texas. I am on the third one now and like them alot!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:33:59 AM  Show Profile
My 18 year old sister got me into the "Twilight" books by Stephanie Meyer. They're entertaining, but kind of long and drawn out and it takes forever for her to get to the point.
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:58:53 AM  Show Profile
"So you don't want to go to church anymore" Now who would come up with a title like that?? One way God talks to me, I tell Him my thoughts and He decided how I will get His answer. I told Him I really dislike organized religion and church. Of course I've given Him all my reasons and then wait for His reply. So see what I get to read!! LOL I'm up to chapter 4 and don't want to put it down.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  11:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Melody, the title of your book so resonates with me. I have felt like that for years.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  11:27:54 AM  Show Profile
Melody June let me know what you think when you are done. Who wrote it again, I remember seeing the book.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  11:31:21 AM  Show Profile
Sharlet,
I just picked it up at Wal Mart. I would recommend it to anyone who agrees with the title. It is so hard to talk about but, I never felt this way till I moved here to the "Bible Belt". People, NOT God makes lists of do's and don't that no one could live up to nor should they have to. Christians are not supposed to drive people away from God, but sadly it does happen. The book in a very non judging way points some of these things out.
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  11:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Rae, the authors are Wayne Jacobsen and Dave Coleman. And I need to say it is not bashing churches, only exalting Christ. I just love the way they make points without being critical. From the moment I started reading I felt like it was just how Jesus would be talking to me. I instantly caught myself answering John's questions before I actually read what Jakes answer's were. I guess to me this is an interactive book.
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  11:44:27 AM  Show Profile
Do you remember Rich Mullins? Well, after he died in a car wreck I read about his life and it really changed the way I look at things. I still love his music. You are so right about the "RULES" that others try to put on us.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  1:52:29 PM  Show Profile
Melody June
I knew it was not against faith and God but couldn't remember authors. Sometimes religion isn't good as it gets too caught up with rules and regulations of the church not of God.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  2:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, that is exactly what this book is about. I am also reading "At home in Mitford" by Jan Karon. I have to have easy reading for in bed to lull me to sleep. It is just a really sweet story and Jan pulls you into the little town and makes you feel like you live there.
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  2:31:53 PM  Show Profile
I just read that(Mitford) and started the second one. I had to stop though and read something else just because it had my curiosity, Debbie Macomber the Blossom Street stories. Has anyone ever read anything by Elaine Schulte or June Masters Bacher? I really like them, they are older books but able to find all through Barnes and Noble, some new and others used.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  08:02:04 AM  Show Profile
So I finished The Birth of Venus and highly recommend it to anyone who loves historical novels or art! (Warning: some parts are not for the squeamish!) I loved the historical detail and the rebellion of a girl living in such oppressive times! I'd be happy to pass it along to any one interested.

Sharlet, I love the late Rich Mullins and his music! I can really relate to it and his beliefs. (And now I'm gonna have to locate my cd's!)

Melody, I'll be looking for this book when I go to Walmart today. I heard on our local news that there's a billboard on the highway near my house that's getting a lot of negative response. It says something like, "So, what if there was no religion?" All of these churches are calling in to have it removed, along with individual Christians and Christian-groups. I imagine the Southern Baptists will be the ones with enough clout to get it actually taken down or replaced. I couldn't understand the hullabaloo because I'm a firm believer that religion, i.e. man, has corrupted the relationship God intended us to have with Him, so I've wondered that myself. Seems the billboard is the work of an atheist group. Ah, that's the rub! So, I'm thinking that it's not a coincidence that I heard that newscast then came home to read what ya'll have written about this book!

Rae, I've never read either Elaine Schulte or June Masters Bacher. What genre do they write? I love Debbie Macomber, although I haven't read the Blossom Street series. A lot of girls have mentioned it, so I'm adding it to my list, too!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  08:28:19 AM  Show Profile
Cherry
The 2 series I have are more of a frontier type setting, Christian fiction. I also do a lot of Jeanette Oke, Lori Wick, Lauraine Snelling and Tracie Peterson just to name a few. I love all their historical stuff. Snellling has a series out that covers the Dakotas and some of MN for really enjoy that!!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  1:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I have been missing a lot of goodies on here!

A preacher with the last name of Pecker! Oh, goodness! I am making myself laugh right now with what I could type! Really. I need to stop thinking about that!

About that book about not going to church. Oh, how I used to hate church! I am so thankful that I don't have that problem anymore, but it really did take me a long time to get there. While growing up I was afraid that I might be demon-possessed because I hated church so much. I was a very sad little girl when it came to religion, but now I am non-denominational and that has made all the difference. Ha! I totally love my church. The only thing that I feel guilty about when I go there is that I don't go enough. LOL! And not because anyone makes me feel that way. It is just me, saying that to myself.

I've been reading Celia Rivenbark's book We're Just Like You, Only Prettier. And I almost stopped reading it when I learned to my amazement that I might be white-trash! Really, I had no idea! Now if anyone reads this just know that she acts like she is speaking for all Southerners, but really she is just speaking for people from North Carolina. LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #554

http://alabamaheartofdixie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rural independent gal
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Holly
Jamestown IN
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  7:09:54 PM  Show Profile
I am reading "Chronicles of Ginger Farm: Life on a Small Canadian Farm During Times of Great Global Change, 1929-1962." This is a fascinating collection of dispatches that the author wrote for her local newspaper. She spins very heartwarming stories describing her life as a simple farm wife. It is pretty much an "up close and personal" first person accounting, almost a journal of her daily life, including her anxiety as a mother as her son was overseas and fighting in WWII. Good Read!

http://www.theruralindependent.com

It's easy to be independent when you've got money. But to be independent when you haven't got a thing -- that's the Lord's test. ~ Mahalia Jackson
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:10:15 PM  Show Profile
I just got some new books this week. I started 2 this afternoon. One is Come to the Table - the slow food way of living and Growing your own vegetables, by Carla Emory and Lorene Edwards Forkner. The last one was written up in the last two issues of MJF Magazine.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  03:16:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Holly, Ginger Farm reminds me of the last few books in the Anne of Green Gable series, but of course, Anne was not real. I have to keep repeating that to myself. HA! That sounds like a book I would like. What part of Canada is she in?

Julia, you are going to be so hungry! I hope that you are already growing some of your own vegetables or have a really great farmer's market nearby because nothing that you buy in a store will satisfy you after you read those books! Dire warnings, I know, but I must say it. You will never want to go back to the retail-side again. After I read Animal, Vegetable, Mineral I was ravenous every moment of everyday, and dang it, Little Debbie's snack cakes and Lay's potato chips just couldn't fill the void anymore. LOL! Have fun reading!

Y'all, I'm going on vacation and lugging books with me. I can't wait to read about what y'all have been reading when I get back!

Farmgirl Sister #554

http://alabamaheartofdixie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:55:31 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. It was an amazing book. I loved it and can't wait to see the movie now. I'm reading The Gentle Art of Domesticity and absolutely love it. The pictures and colors and of course her writing just draws you in. The next book is My Sister's Keeper. I also have about a dozen library books lined up. I love books and unfortunately can not afford to sustain my book habit and have had to turn to the library for some books. I think hubby would be a bit upset if I spent the mortgage money on books. LOL~What's a girl to do?

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  4:03:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ruth: I hit the library a bit too. I cannot always do the library though because I end up with fines!!

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  4:31:08 PM  Show Profile
paperbackswap.com, girls, it's great when your funds dry up but you've got lots of books...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  7:56:15 PM  Show Profile
I love paperback swap too!!
I am reading the last in an Amish series... Called Sisters of Hope by Wanda Brunstetter.
Taking a break from the mystery series I have been reading this week (the China Bayles series by Susan Witig Albert)

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  03:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Jenny I read that not too long ago, really enjoyed it.

I am now reading a series I have but haven't read for a few years, it is by June Masters Bacher, The Journey West. The first book is Love is a gentle Stranger.

Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page