Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic
Page: of 11

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  03:39:36 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm back. I was pretty sure that Virginia Woolf was the one who wrote A Room of One's Own and committed suicide, but I didn't know that she wrote To The Lighthouse. I watched that movie about two months ago and the beach scenes were so beautifully constructed. Each one of them could have been a painting. Took my breath away! But I was frustrated with the story, it really let me down and I just couldn't see the point of it all. I was left wondering why they bothered with the gorgeous period clothing, setting up those masterful scenes and then the story didn't seem to go anywhere. Surely, the book is better and doesn't leave on a down note. But it could just be me. I seem to shy away from "mature" subjects. LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #554

http://alabamaheartofdixie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  06:33:34 AM  Show Profile
Virginia Woolf can be hard to get into. She was all about formal elements, not a traditional storyteller with strong characters and a narrative that's easy to follow.

If you're looking for a starting point, I'd recommend Mrs. Dalloway. I've read several of her novels and to me Mrs. Dalloway is the only one with relatable people and an actual story in it.
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  06:35:27 AM  Show Profile
I've started rereading the Harry Potter series since the new movie comes out in July. I just started book 5.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  4:38:13 PM  Show Profile
I have been thinking about reading book 6 before the movie comes out..it has been a long time since I read it. Since it first came out!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  06:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Amie, thanks so much for the lowdown on Virginia Woolf and the recommendation for The Little Friend because I do so love TKAM!

Cherry, I looked up The Magic Circle and boy howdy, that sounds intriguing! You'll have to tell us how you liked it and hopefully, it will be available on disc at the library! Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #554

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  1:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Just finished The Magic Circle last night. Whew!!!! It was intriguing, but a tad confusing. It REALLY jumps around and is over run with quotes from every age and every corner of the world. But, it gives one a lot of food for thought. Especially with us coming up on 2012. I don't want to give too much away in case anyone decides to read it, but there's a lot in it about astrology and the alignments and how through the ages different alignments meant different aeons. For example, has anyone ever considered that the aeon of Jesus' time the alignment was that of Pisces and Virgo? The fish and the virgin? And beginning 2012, the alignment will be changing again. Hmmmm.....

Now I am on to some "lighter fare" in the form of Miss Virginia! Mrs. Dalloway it is, Amie!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  2:07:06 PM  Show Profile
I am reading The Lovely Bones right now. Hard to put down, and very different. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Makes you think though..more about it later. What did you think of it Cherry???

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  2:51:30 PM  Show Profile
I am currently reading East of Eden...I have read it before, but I love they way Steinbeck wrote!!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  3:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...The Lovely Bones. I think it was beautifully written by Sebold. The subject matter was a bit difficult to swallow. In fact, it was sometimes difficult for me to read, if I remember correctly, yet I couldn't put it down. I read it in not time flat! I think it pushed the limits by looking at how the rapist "got to be" a rapist. It's being made into a movie, you know. That should be interesting.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  3:36:23 PM  Show Profile
OH Melody...I love Steinbeck. His characters become so real in my mind....I just ordered one I hadn't read before..The Wayward Bus. The Grapes of Wrath is my all time favorite book..or in the top 3 anyhow.
Cherry...You described just how I feel..difficult to read but not easy to put down I havn't picked it up today...read until later than I should have last night. I didn't know it was being made into a movie. hmmm I DO like how the writer didn't go into graphic details...that was easier..but still...I am still not sure how I like it.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  4:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Anyone ever read Gone with the Wind? That is still one of my favs. Reading Debbie Macomber Blossom Street series right now. So far I am really enjoying it,on book one and about 3/4 of the way done.

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  8:58:06 PM  Show Profile
I love Gone with the Wind..it has been alot of years since I read it...I think I have it here somewhere...I will have to read it again. And I liked the Blossom street books alot. Havn't read the last one yet though.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  03:04:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Rae, I totally love GWTW, but I haven't read it since I was in school. My mom said that she was never hungrier in her life when she read it because there were so many wonderful descriptions of food in it. I would like to listen to it on cd, and this time I would pay special attention to that Ashley Wilkes character. I want to see if he was really worth such ardent affection and devotion!

Right now I am rereading To Kill a Mockingbird and of course, I am loving it. It is like getting reacquainted with an old friend. My step-daughter has been given a burdensome honors student assignment to do over the summer on TKAM and she normally reads 500 page books within a 24 period but she has just slogged through TKAM like she is on her way to the gallows, and I am furious that the teacher has done this to her because I was so looking forward to sharing TKAM with her! The only thing that I can credit the teacher with is having them read it during the summer because so much of it takes place in this season.

Cold Sassy Tree ended yesterday and it was very good. I enjoyed it immensely. Now I have to find the sequel!

Cherry, I will be interested in finding out your opinion of Mrs. Dalloway.

Farmgirl Sister #554

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  06:30:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm just a few pages into Mrs. Dalloway and let me just say that I will never again underestimate having somewhere for my eyes to "rest"! Ol' Virginia sure did like her run-on sentences! I've never come across so many colons and semi-colons in my life!! But so far, Mrs. Dalloway is quite observant and quite quirky in her observations. Should be interesting...

Jenny, there are books I've read and knew right away they'd be a favorite because I loved them so much, whether I could realate personally with the characters or just felt a deep appreciation for the talent of the author to arrange mere words. Then there are some I didn't exactly love, but was able to take something from them to apply towards my own life. Very rarely have I ever invested time and energy into one and thought by the last page that it was just a waste. And there are the one's I haven't given much thought to one way or another, just read it because it was recommended and the whole world was reading it too or it just looked intriguing. I think that's where The Lovely Bones fell, in that last category. It'll be interesting to see how they handle making it into a movie. I'm afraid those graphic details that were carefully left out might actually make it on the big screen. Sometimes a movie just ruins a book.

And I'm in the Steinbeck fan club, too!!! My first college paper was on The Old Man and the Sea and I was so excited because I'd written one in 11th grade honors lit and had received a 99 and glowing remarks from my teacher for my "talent" at writing. Like a face full of cold water, snapping me back to the "real world", I got a B on that college paper!! Oh, I was so disgusted!

I've always been unsure whether I wanted to invest the time into reading GWTW. I can't help but think that I'd probably be able to read 10 other books in the time it'd take me to read it!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  06:35:38 AM  Show Profile
For those who appreciate Southern authors, try Chalktown by Melinda Haynes. It's fabulous!!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  4:08:51 PM  Show Profile
Nikki - I reread TKAM recently and had forgotten how much I loved it. Scout is a hoot, I just love her character. I loved Cold Sassy Tree too but, just to warn you, the sequel is not actually a finished book, it has some chapter fragments and no real resolution, I was kind of disappointed.
I'm re-reading all of Ivan Doig this summer, very Montana-centric novels with a lot about the history of the state and lovely writing.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  6:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Have you read the "sequel" to GWTW?? Scarlett?? I have them both, but haven't read the second one yet. I loved the movie, though it wasn't the same as the book. Of course, what movie and book are. :)

I am in the process of a Science Fiction series by Terri Goodkind-The Sword of Truth series. It's beautifully descript, though many places, where I thought they could have left out some good vs. evil issues. It is set in the woods and has a lot of swords, magic, truth vs. evil. I started when I was expecting Tori in 05 and am on book 7 now. Maybe by the time I am done having all my kiddos, I will have read the whole series.
Excellent reading, but not for the faint of heart or the waivering of morality. :D
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  7:20:45 PM  Show Profile
I read Scarlett. I was not going to as I was so afraid it would ruin GWTW but I really enjoyed it! I have both books as well as both movies :-)
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  9:39:34 PM  Show Profile
I picked up GWTW at a local thrift store. I've got it on my reading list after Harry Potter, and then I promised my daughter that we would read the hobbit and lord of the rings again.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  10:18:59 PM  Show Profile
I have GWTW. I still have NOT read it, can't seem to get "into" it. I didn't even like the movie!!I realize I might be the odd one out on this, lol.
Right now I am reading Terri Blackstock. I love her Newpointe 911 series, "Trial by Fire". Also have a Dee Henderson book waiting to be read and a lot more lol.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  03:56:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh Marian it's ok :-)
My daughter is a Terri Blackstock and Dee Henderson fan, she would get the books as fast as they came out!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  05:05:12 AM  Show Profile
LOL, Cherry, about having a place to rest your eyes! When things are all bunched up like that in a book and seem to keep running on, I begin to skim. I don't like lots of flowery descriptions and the writer trying to "make" you see what they see. Give me a few succinct lines and my imagination will fill in the rest! I am a big fan of the story and quotes, just let those characters speak and I'll know enough about them. Ha!

I'm sorry that they dissed your paper in college. That doesn't make any sense at all. I find that you are incredibly gifted with words. Your stories on here are always entertaining and your ability to make people laugh with what you write is like money in the bank. It's gold, baby!

Y'all, I tried to read Scarlett and just couldn't. You know from GWTW that Scarlett is going to get her way and if she really wants to get Rhett back then she will do it. And you don't have to worry about how she will get along without Rhett either. But I am positive that she would not have done it by chasing him and groveling. LOL!

I finished TKAM last night and of course, I cried. What is wrong with me? I seem to be hyper sensitive theses days. Maybe I'm about to go through the change.

I'm adding the books that y'all are recommending to my wish list on Amazon. It is a great way to keep up with it all!

Farmgirl Sister #554

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  09:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Ol' Virginia is definitely not for you, Nikki! I'm beginning to think she's not much for me either. That kinda makes me sad. I have about 4 of her books stacked-up to read and now that seems like a chore. I'll finish Mrs. Dalloway since I've already started it, but I may have to list those others back on Paperbackswap! And you are the sweetest thing! Don't let anybody tell you otherwise!

I know what you mean about being hyper sensitive. Brian was watching videos on CMT the other night and I swear, every single one made me tear up! I felt ridiculous!

Jenny, I saw you finished Lovely Bones. Have you decided whether you liked it or not?

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  04:11:09 AM  Show Profile
LOL, Cherry, about Virginia. Poor thing. She needed some medication to get her serotonin and progesterone levels stabilized. That would have made her feel better. Yes, Dr. Nikki will see you know. Ha!

I am on a Southern writer kick. I got Leaving Cold Sassy at the library the other day. They didn't have it on CD, dang it. But right now I am reading a book about the origins of Alabama English dialects. Some of it is sorta dry, but it is cool too. For instance, in Southern Alabama you will find people who pronounce the word "war" as "woe-wah" and I pronounce it as "wore". I had noticed the thing going on with the "r's". Some people simply do not want to use an "r" in a word to save their lives. LOL! But sometimes, in different contexts I will either say "for" or "fer" but never "foe-ah". It is fun. I am enjoying paying attention to speech.

Oh, Cherry, they seem to try to wring every tear outta my eyes with those county music videos. Even Reba can make me cry. I have to avoid them like the plague. Ding dang it, I'm not even safe from commercials! I might need to prescribe some hormones for myself soon. Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #554

Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  05:25:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm re-reading Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2 by Annie Proulx (sp)
I love her short stories and her character names. One is about a poacher who is a preacher from CA and his name is Jeffery J. Pecker LOL She writes like they speak too so I have to read slowly to get the whole affect, ya know?

She has a few stories that make me laugh out loud, I love when a book will do that!

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page