Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  05:42:40 AM  Show Profile
I have read the Shack. It is great. It really makes you think. My pastor told me to read Finding God in the Shack. I haven't gotten it yet but it is on my list.

To those of you reading the Mitford series - I loved it. Be sure you are reading the books in order. Maybe that will help make more sense.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  08:00:21 AM  Show Profile
Laila
I have heard really good things about Mitford and am going back to it as soon as I finish this book. I had started the Tracie Peterson series first so need to read #3 while still fresh in my head. Thanks though about the encouragement with it.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  08:12:31 AM  Show Profile
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but Finding God in the Shack is a very funny title.

It sounds like an anecdote in a cleaning/organizational book. Where did you find him? Oh, he was behind that stack of old newspapers. When I finally made that trip to the dump, the secrets of the universe became clear.

Or like a camp story. God got into the shack while we were hiking and gnawed on all the hotdogs. All we had left for dinner was beans!

Sorry, I guess I'm going to spend a few extra years in purgatory now.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  08:27:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Amie, my first laugh out loud of the day! I think God would find that funny, too! I've read The Shack and didn't know there was a companion book to it. I loved it and gave it as gifts, too, Gail. Everyone I gave it to loved it as well.

And, Amie, I'd do that, too, reading a book just because a quiz said I was most like it. How could you not?

Jenny, I'm sorry I didn't forwarn you about Rattled. I can't honestly remember what it's about, but I do remember the language. I've thought for a long time that books need to come with a rating system like movies do. I just finished up Alice's Tulips and LOVED it! I took it with me to the beach and laughed out loud several times! Wouldn't you love to have Alice as a friend? That's the kind of book I like to read, one where the characters are so interesting you miss not having them in your life! And I do that, too, where I get a book and am torn between finishing the one I've started or starting the new one! I never can bring myself to do it though. I figure I've invested all that time into reading it, I may as well finish it. I'm the same way with movies and tv shows. The hubs can go to bed right in the middle of a movie and it absolutely drives me bonkers!

Today I'll be starting To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Do I have to buy The Shack? I have been checking on it at the library and I need to get on the waiting list. I just keep up the hopeful attitude that it will happen to be there when I go.

This morning in the car I started listening to Cold Sassy Tree on cd. That has been pretty funny so far.

I wonder if Alice'e Tulips is on cd. I will have to check on that. I do love a funny book!

And Cherry, Lovin' Man can walk out on a movie, too. He does it so much, in fact, that we have dubbed him the "movie leaver" and we hurl that epithet at him whenever he gets too big for his britches. He says that Oakley is a "food leaver" and she replies, "Well, at least I'm not a movie leaver!" And they call me an "easy laugher". And Selena is a "rereader" as in, she rereads her favorite books a lot. And for Nick, well, Oakley says, "That ain't no happy child!" (from Toy Story) LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #554

http://alabamaheartofdixie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  4:51:52 PM  Show Profile
I still reading RAttled..it is really funny even with the other....so now I guess I really want to see how it ends..haha. I have been embroidering and havn't finished it yet though...no doubt I will read some tonight. Oh Cherry...I know what you mean about Alice..and you will love Persian Pickle club too...those are two of my favorites for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  5:35:07 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, I've got The Shack in a stack by my bed. You're welcome to it if you don't want to wait any longer! Just let me know.

And aren't family nicknames the best? And all the little inside jokes? La and Brian like to quote entire movie scenes with each other. Well, those movies he'll actually sit all the way through. They have alot of the Austin Powers movies memorized.

Jenny, Persian Pickle was fun, too! But I think Alice has a soft spot in my heart now! Are there any more books about her?

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  6:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I don't know. I hope so!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone read Debbie Macomber books? I just finished The Shop On Blossum Street and loved it! I'm impatiently waiting for A Good Yarn (found it on ebay and it just isn't coming fast enough!)

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I think I have read almost all of Debbie Macomber's books. I really like her along with Nora Roberts and Linda Lael Miller. Linda has alot of cowboy oriented books which I love!

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:31:32 AM  Show Profile
I have the Blossum street books but have to finish a different series first, as well as A good Yarn. They look good so .... I just get excited with new books :-)
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  4:36:26 PM  Show Profile
The Blossom street books ARE good..love them!
I finished Love Mercy by Earlene Fowler...it was very good. I hear she plans to write more and make this a series...I hope so! I am reading a little book called Dying to Sell by Maggie Sefton right now ..almost done..pretty good..and then have The Farm She Was up next.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  9:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
A Good Yarn was waiting in my mailbox today when I got home! I can't wait to get started!!! What other books by Debbie Macomber are good ones like this? Also, love the Linda Lael Miller...I think I've read all of the cowboy books, I just love them!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  04:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, all of her Blossom Street series is really good:

Blossom Street
Summer on Blossom Street May 2009 (newest)
Twenty Wishes MIRA Books May 2008
Back on Blossom Street MIRA Books 2007/2008
A Good Yarn MIRA Books 2005/2006
The Shop on Blossom Street

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  05:48:27 AM  Show Profile
I liked the Blossom Street books, mainly because one of the characters shared my name! That hardly ever happens :)

Right now I am reading 'The Zoo Keepers Wife' got it from PBS..

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  06:12:16 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Cherry! Thanks for the offer of the loan of The Shack! But I think that I will get on the waiting list at the library for the book on cd. I like to listen to books in the car, especially if there will be parts that make me cry because I like to cry alone. LOL! And I try not to show up at the house with red-rimmed eyes and a tear-stained face since it alarms everyone so. None of us are very tolerant of criers around here. It is just too disturbing.

I am in the middle of Cold Sassy Tree and loving it. There are so many funny parts! Poor Selena is bogged down in To Kill a Mockingbird. She HAS to read it for school over the summer. This is the girl who can read a 500 page book within 24 hours. I can't believe that she isn't enjoying TKAM more. It is such a good one. She just got to the part where Mrs. DuBose says, "Don't you say 'hey' to me, you ugly girl. You say, 'Good afternoon, Mrs. DuBose!'" We love that part. It is one of my Dad's most oft quoted lines from the whole book/movie. And "Pass the d*** ham." But that's not in the movie. LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #554

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  06:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Nikki - I just finished Cold Sassy Tree a couple of weeks ago - I just reserved Leaving Cold Sassy at our library - the author died while writing Leaving Cold Sassy, but it was decided to publish what she had written, so I'm anxious to read. A couple of years ago while my sister and I were in Florida visiting our mother, my sister found a copy of Cold Sassy Tree in a flea market that was autographed by the author - she was delighted. There is also a movie with Jason Robards as Rucker (the grandpa), I haven't seen it yet.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Gail, how cool about your sister getting an autographed copy! I bet that is worth some money and such a treasure! I am thinking that I have to get the book because there are so many good quotes that I would love to peruse at my leisure and repeat when I get the chance. It may not have translated well from book to movie because my mom told me that Cold Sassy was terrible and I know that she never read it.

I am especially enjoying all of the nuances of Southern manners and the double meaning in people's words and deeds and the way that the narrator says cousin, "ku-den". So fun!

I am sorry to find that the other book is incomplete, but I am going to have to get it anyway because I don't want to miss anything that happens in Cold Sassy!

Farmgirl Sister #554

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:35:09 AM  Show Profile
If you like To Kill a Mockingbird, I just finished The Little Friend, by Donna Tartt. It reminded me a lot of TKAM, but with the racial theme in the background and a murder in the foreground. It has a Southern small town setting and the main characters are about 12 years old. It's very funny in parts, a little scary in others, insightful about daily life, especially the experience of being a young adolescent.

I'm reading her other book, The Secret History, right now and it is very good so far also. Oddly, it reminds me a tiny bit of the Harry Potter books. It's about a college kid who gets mixed up with a circle of creepy eccentric classmates.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  09:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Mitford is getting much better as I am going along. Sometimes depending on my mood takes me a little longer to get into the story.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

thethriftycountrywoman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jane
Port Austin Michigan
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  09:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Just finished The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. At first I didn't like the format, but began to enjoy it after I got the characters sorted out. Loved the ending! Love to see it made into a movie!
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  09:55:23 AM  Show Profile
I read Cold Sassy Tree awhile ago and loved it! Need to re-read it and get the sequel, didn't know that about the author either..

I read The Gurnesy Lterary and Potato Peel Pie Society too and it was hard to get into. So many people, but by the end I didn't want to quit. Was a very nice sotry.

FOrgot to mention that The Zoo Keeper's wife is written by Diane Ackerman and is about a zoo in Poland that harbored Jews from the Warsaw gettho during the war.

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  4:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Please, please remind me what Cold Sassy Tree is about! It's niggling my brain that I've read it, but I'm just not sure! And, Nikki, I'm very sure that The Shack will make you cry!

I was gonna start my acquired collection of Virginia Woolf, but had to get The Magic Circle by Katherine Neville out of the way before I could start on old Virginia! I've just started on it, so we'll see...

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  7:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Cold Sassy tree...is about a boy growing up I think it was turn of the century and the town was named Cold Sassy Tree (or that was what the locals called it anyhow) and his growing up years. His grandpa getting a car (one of the first in the community) and remarrying after his grandma dies...just a really good book. You would like it for sure Cherry!
I started reading "Made in America" by Billie Letts today...loving it so far!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  03:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Jenny is right. In 1906, the small Georgia town of Cold Sassy Tree is scandalized when the 14-year-old narrator's grandfather up and marries a woman half his age just three weeks after his wife dies. The grandfather is such a skinflint that he did it just to get a free housekeeper, but the woman has other plans! She works on him to cut off his beard, go on a buying trip to New York and then become a dealer of newfangled automobiles. That is where I am right now. I can't wait to find out what she talks him into doing next!

Y'all are all recommending such good books! I am looking forward to digging into them, especially during winter when it gets pitch black by 5 and I wish that I could just hibernate til spring. Now I'll have something to stay awake for!

You know, Cherry, I have never read any of Virginia Woolf. Right now, I can't think of one title of hers. Have you read her stuff already? I like books that have to do with social interactions and manners, but they need to have a wry, comical twist. You know like Jane Austen and E.M. Forster. They concentrated on love and the social conventions of the day yet they didn't take themselves so seriously, like Henry James, ugh. How depressing. I don't like Edith Wharton either. I am going to look up Virginia Woolf now!

Farmgirl Sister #554

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page