C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  08:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Marcia, I'd love to be back there too, don't think it will happen anytime soon. I don't know if it ever could be a reality again, we'd need to roll back so much policy.

I am also in the middle of Justice Clarence Thomas' My grandfather's son. So so good, talk about achieving against all odds.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh you are all naming some of my favorite books! I just finished Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas yesterday. LOved it!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  6:58:42 PM  Show Profile
I have my name on the list for that one at the library - I think I'm number 7 in line, it sounds like a good one!! In the meantime I'm re-reading some others of hers
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  10:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Amy..if you email me your address I would be happy to mail my copy out to you. Arn't her books good??!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  4:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny I just e-mailed you - what a generous offer, thank you!! I love her books, I just had The Quilt that Walked to Golden out from the library too - very inspirational
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  5:14:21 PM  Show Profile
I just finished a Tracie Peterson and waiting for #3 to come, I ordered it, they are the Brides of Gallatin County series. Starting The Mitford Years by Jan Karon. Never read her and some say they are good, before that the Elm Creek Quilters series.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  7:35:45 PM  Show Profile
I wondered about the Brides of Gallatin County...may have to read those this summer!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  04:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Jenny
I really enjoyed them and looking forward to #3, it just came out. Having a hard time getting into the Mitford book now but hopefully will get better as some just take a while to get going.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  11:55:08 AM  Show Profile
I had a hard time getting into the Mitford books too. I will have to try again sometime. I am sure they are wonderful...just at the time I started reading them they didn't hold my interest.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

chaunzee
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Teresa
Kentucky
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  8:42:21 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading True Believer by Nicholas Sparks.

~*~If I die from insanity, it is because another song was stuck in my head.~*~
Go to Top of Page

couggardengirl
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Bridgette
Clarkston WA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  8:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Just Finished Girls in Trucks and going to start People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  09:57:25 AM  Show Profile
A couple of things...

Letters of A Woman Homesteader
http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Homesteader-Elinore-Pruitt-Stewart/dp/0395911516

What a fabulous book. You are right there with her.

and MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook.

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  10:57:15 AM  Show Profile
I've read Girls in Trucks, too, Bridgette. What'd you think?

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  7:51:44 PM  Show Profile
Stopped at the store to buy myself a treat (book and fabric) on the way home from painful knee injections (synvisc) and found Sunday's at Tiffany's by James Patterson...I am loving it already.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  06:46:29 AM  Show Profile
I am going to be starting:

"Hearts West : true stories of mail order brides on the frontier" by Chris Enss. I love frontier-type stuff.

I tried to read the Mitford books and just couldn't get into them. They just didn't hold my interest. I do thank y'all for mentioning that "Girls In Trucks" I am waiting on that one now.

--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - countrykatgirly on Jun 08 2009 06:50:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  07:55:55 AM  Show Profile
I am really trying the Mitford, getting a little better but just seems to not be a story, more jump here and there so far.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  05:09:49 AM  Show Profile
I am starting I'll Gather My Geese by Hallie Crawford Stillwell today:

http://www.amazon.com/Gather-Geese-Hallie-Crawford-Stillwell/dp/0890964785/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244808489&sr=1-1

Can't turn down a book by another Hallie, LOL.

--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - countrykatgirly on Jun 12 2009 05:10:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  1:54:07 PM  Show Profile
That one looks great Hallie! I will have to get it for sure....looks like one I would love!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  08:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I just finished reading "The Shack" by Wm Paul Young. It is fiction, a very quick read and very thought provoking. Has anyone else read this? and if so what did you think? I know I will reread and also give as gifts. Yesterday I started "Simple Abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach, again a very insightful look at things. I am enjoying it. I'm going to check out "Ill Gather my Geese", thanks for the suggestion Hallie. Have a great day girls.

Hugs,
Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  2:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Gail
I read The Shack a while back. It was good and I will re-read it later as read it fast to get through to see what happened.
I stopped Mitford series and am reading #3 of the Brides of Gallatin County by Tracie Peterson. Good series.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  6:34:59 PM  Show Profile
The Shack sure WAS a good book. REally made me think.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  11:14:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading Moby Dick. Guess what? It's really funny! I wasn't expecting that.

Now don't laugh, but I'm reading it because facebook told me to. I took a quiz "What famous work of literature are you?" and got Moby Dick. I can't be something I've never read, that just wouldn't do. So I got it out of the library and took it on my camping trip last week.

I've still got about 200 pages to go but I'm really enjoying it. I'm just afraid everybody's going to die at the end...it's hinting at being that kind of book (yeah, that might not sound like it goes along with being funny, but it's that kind of humor.)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  4:07:25 PM  Show Profile
I haven't read Moby Dick since high school...but should! I remember liking it back then though. I honestly can't remember the ending. Like my grandma told me a long time ago....only so much your brain can remember and then when new stuff goes in, old stuff goes out. For me that is Algrebra and details about some books..haha.
I just got my copy of Love Mercy in the mail today. (by Earlene Fowler) and will start it probably tomorrow. I have been waiting to get it until it was cheaper used on Amazon.com. This is a nice hardback copy too..just like new. I want to stop reading the book I am reading now and move on to it..but will make my self finish. I am reading "Rattled" by Debra Galant. It is funny but a lot of bad language and stuff..not really my favorite book ever. I do want to see how it ends at this point though.more than halfway through. I may change my mind though.
One thing I love about the Earlene Fowler books..this one included, plus her Benni Harper mysteries are that they are set in the area I grew up in. I love that!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  4:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Mountain Top by Robert Whitlow. First book I have read of his, and I had to force myself to put it down all day.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  05:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Amie, I have never read Moby Dick, but you saying that it is funny has sparked my interest. I always thought that it would be dry and harsh. I'll have to check it out!

Farmgirl Sister #554

http://alabamaheartofdixie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page