knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  6:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Right now I'm reading "Pay the Rent or Feed the Kids" by Mel Hurtig. It's about the situation of the poor in Canada specifically. It was written in 1999 but I think is just as releavant today. Very eye opening. I just find it disturbing that our society is willing to condemn the poor (i.e. "if they just had ambition", "if they weren't lazy", "if they weren't .....) When really our society is SUPPOSED to have been built on Christian principals, which as most of us know our Lord was very clear on how we are supposed to act towards the marginalized in our society (and it's not playing the blame game). Any way good book.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  06:56:16 AM  Show Profile
The Secret Garden by Frances Hogdson Burnett (illustrated by Tasha Tudor)...I bought it for Violet's library and decided that I wanted to read it again after all these years...she's only 11 weeks old, so I know she won't mind if I borrow it!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  07:07:19 AM  Show Profile
I, too, just finished "A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table" by Molly Wizenberg. I thought it was very good. I have decided to declare this summer "The Summer of Jane" and read all of Jane Austin's novels. I read "Pride and Prejudice," and loved it. Now I'm going to start on the rest!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Jessie, I love, love, love Jane Austen! I can't pick my favorite book of hers; it would be like choosing a favorite child! I know that you will be having a very enjoyable literary summer!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:35:10 PM  Show Profile
I did that a few summers back, Jessie...enjoy Jane--Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites. Last Summer, whilst going to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, I declared it the summer of Joyce (James, that is)....did NOT have quite the same effect!!!! Ten pages into Ulysses, I was asleep in the deck chair!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  3:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i am reading, " home cheese making" by ricki carroll and " on the couch" the autobiography of lorraine bracco. both are good. and i guess you could say i am reading "junk style" but i think i am really just referring to it.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  4:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
Wow.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  5:18:43 PM  Show Profile
I am listening to The Omnivore's Dilemma with a friend once a week(Good stuff). I am reading A Homemade Life (love it!) and this summer I am reading East of Eden. This year, I did a few other Steinbeck's with my students, and they are learning a lot from them, even if they think they are a little boring.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  5:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Julie-

The Thirteenth Tale is rather strange at first but stick with it...it was one of my favorite reads!!!

I'm reading "Dragonfly in Amber" which is the second book in the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. They are very long stories!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  7:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hi Dutchy, My aunt just gave me a big bag of books about the Amish. I can't wait to dig into them. I love to read about the Amish, too. Any particular favorites you really enjoyed and can recommend? Thank you!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  5:02:46 PM  Show Profile
I also read Jane Austen all last summer. I love Pride and Prejudice..... all the subtle humor within her family relations just crack me up. I also really enjoy Emma.
Right now I am trying to finish 5000 Year Leap, I am on a "founding fathers" kick which will probably last most of the summer. Thomas Paine is in line, plus an economics book by Thomas Sowell.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  6:02:26 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Chelsea! That sounds like some pretty heavy reading! I'm impressed!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  7:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Ha Ha...don't be, lately I have just had this huge desire to learn. I am trying to soak up everything at once, and at the same time am regretting that I didn't pay more attention in school, or diversify my studies in college. Mary Jane and Farmgirls are part of it. I was never taught these skills growing up, other then having horses; no other parts of my life were farm related. No garden, canning, sewing, ect. Now it is like I am trying to make up for lost time.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  9:25:15 PM  Show Profile
Chelsea, I understand what you mean! Certain things are just so much more fascinating to me now than they were when I was a teen-ager.

I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver now myself, Prodigal Summer. I love all the facts she weaves into her narrative. Nikki, I'd love to borrow Animal, Vegetable, Miracle from you one day. I looked for it on Paperbackswap and no one had it. After I finished Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, I had the strongest desire to go to Italy and Indonesia! And is Cumberland Island in GA or SC? I know of an island off the coast of SC that still has wild horses. Is it the same one?

I have a stack of Virginia Woolf I intend to dig into this summer. Anyone else get on these kicks where you MUST read everything one particular author has written, back to back?

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  9:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love Barbara Kingsolver too Cherry. I think I have read all her books now. I think. LOVE them. Started a long time ago with Bean Trees.
I am reading Sister's Choice by Emilie Richards right now. Very good so far.. I have liked the Shanendoah Quilt series alot.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  04:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea, that is so cool because it is the same with me. All of a sudden I want to know everything and life is so fascinating. MaryJane really is the one who spurred me to adventure and learning about my surroundings and wanting to be more involved in the feeding and caring of myself and my family. It is all connected!

Cherry, I can't believe that they don't have AVM on the swap. Probably cause no one is willing to give it up. HA! I just returned it to the library, but I am going to get my own copy and when I do, you can borrow it! Cumberland Island is off the coast of Georgia. I can't wait to go there. I wanted to do it last year when we visited my sister but it is difficult to set everything up, you have to make reservations, ride the ferry, and lug everything that you will need with you since there are no stores and no vehicles. We ended up going to Jacksonville, Fernandina, Amelia Island, and Jekyll Island. Jekyll Island was my favorite because we rented a four-person buggy that you peddle. We peddled that rickety contraption all over that island and were so loud and obnoxiously having fun, I am sure people just knew that we were from Alabama. HA!

Jenny, I have never read any of Barbara Kingsolver's other books. Glad to see that you endorse all of them. Now I know that I can't go wrong with any of Barbara's books!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  05:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Right now I am reading Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich. Her books are sooooo funny! I wish I had more time in the day to sit and read.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  06:20:22 AM  Show Profile
I just finished Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. It is set in a small English village in which the plague ravages. The story is told through the eyes of one of the women in the village. It was wonderfully written. Her descriptions were very vivid (although sometimes disturbing in parts).

I also just finished Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. If you have read the others in that series, you will not be disappointed with this one. It is just as good as the others.

Those are two extremely different books. I try to have an even rotation of serious and light reading. Now, what to read next. Hmm...

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  06:48:09 AM  Show Profile
Just got Persian Pickle Club from paperbackswap after a recommendation from here, started it last evening and enjoying it! I usually read really heavy psychological murder stuff so this is a nice change.
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  09:27:20 AM  Show Profile
I am getting ready to start One Month to Live by Kerry and Chris Shook. Fiction-wise I've been working my way through a big stack of Linda Lael Miller books. I love her woman characters; they are strong in their own right. I have to pick up two of MaryJane' books at the library this week.

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - countrykatgirly on May 27 2009 09:28:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  9:42:56 PM  Show Profile
So Chelsea, I read The 5000 Year Leap too. What did you think? I want to live in that country....the country the founding fathers created.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Suzan,
Hope you like the Persian _ickle!!!
I have really enjoyed most of the Sandra Dallas books.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Michigan Girl in TX
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Kristi
Cottonwood Shores TX
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  7:34:28 PM  Show Profile
I usually read cozy mysteries... that is my genre! But, I started reading my daughters Harry Potter books and I am hooked! I am over half done with the 5th book. I always liked the movies, but the books are even better!

~Kristi
Farmgirl #474

"Grown men may learn from very little children, for the hearts of little children are pure, and, therefore, the Great Spirit may show to them many things which older people miss" ~Black Elk
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile
Cherry - I totally do that - have to read all of one author that is, I don't know what it is. Then there are books I re-read so I end up re-reading everything by the one author - Prodigal Summer is on my re-read list for this summer, I too love how much information there is in that book.
I am currently re-reading The Persian Pickle Club, just read Garden Spells which I liked a lot. Next up is the Education of Little Tree
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  07:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts. I love her books.

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading now? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page