Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Trying to Kick the Sugar...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Trying to Kick the Sugar... Next Topic
Page: of 2

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  7:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
I have a series of health problems that I've managed to decrease the severity of via dietary changes. All of my health issues are inflammatory, so I cut out the refined/processed/icky stuff. Funny thing is that my doctors have all told me it was pointless, and that I should just up my medications so that I can live how I want. They don't seem to understand that pills might fix a single problem temporarily, but that lifestyle change is so much more valuable in the long run.

ANYWAYS - I'm having trouble with sugar. I've always been a sugarbaby like my grandma (a little farmgirl herself, fifty + years ago) and it's hard to stay away from, especially the week before my monthly friend visits. In fact, today I had a handful of M&Ms, a few cookies, and a few orange-cream taffies. Now I feel pretty gross from all of the sugar.

Part of the problem is that there's sugar wherever I go. I can easily avoid the packaged stuff, but when someone leaves a bowl of M&Ms on their desk at work and I have to walk past it five times a day because it's along the only way out of the building............

Has anyone else had a tough time kicking the white stuff after having issues? I've never had an addictive personality, but when you consider this is a 30+ year addiction, I guess it puts it all in perspective. I didn't have problems with anything else I cut out of my diet... just this!!

Stephanie, Farmgirl Sister #513!

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  7:53:59 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie
Think about the fact that probably half of the people digging into those M & M's haven't washed their hands after using the bathroom..
EEWW!!

Sorry, I am a bit germaphobic about some communal foods.
Go to Top of Page

Janneane Hazlip
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Janneane
Fort Scott Kansas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  8:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, I can sure relate. If it weren't for sugar I could be thin but it is my constant temptation. Growing up on a dairy farm we had dessert with every meal and with that life-style it did not matter so much because we worked it off. It helps me to keep things like nuts, yogurt raisins, dried fruit, etc handy when I feel like I just need a fix. Janneane
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  8:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Yikes Lisa. I'm not germaphobic and that still grosses me out! :) Good point.

--------------------

Edited by - sjs on Mar 09 2009 8:16:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  8:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Janneane, thanks. It seems like I need to stuff myself silly otherwise I still eat the sugary stuff, even if I'm full! Maybe nuts will work, but they're so high in fat that it makes me nervous to eat too many of them.

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  8:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if this will help but I had to give up all refined foods three years ago.
My homeopathic doctor gave me the ok to use raw sugar (and spelt flour). So now I drink herbal tea with raw sugar and/or honey. I also make nut/fruit bread with spelt flour, raw sugar, and honey. Spelt is a protein not a carbohydrate.

If I am on the go, I take a slice out of the freezer so I will have something good for me to eat since I can't stop at fast food places.

You could make a fruit crisp with raw sugar, just don't use canned fruit 'cause that has sugar or fructose, or something processed in it.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  04:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, I am right with you on this. I did give up white sugar years ago and went to Succanot. But I still crace candy bars and deserts. I have given up sweets of all kinds for Lent and am doing just fine. I am surprised I haven't went into DT's yet. But maybe you could do a gradual decrese, one thing a week. And almonds and walnuts are SO good for you. I just eat a little handful of almonds every day now and some walnuts in some good organic yogurt. Have you tried Stonyfield whole milk yogurt? Oh so good! And they use raw organic sugar. And dried dates are good for a sugar craving.

I do not believe doctors now a lot about nutrition. They work for the pharmaceutical companies and have to push their drugs as much as they can.

Good luck. Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  06:11:35 AM  Show Profile
It is so hard to cut out the ssugar! Our daughter has a sugar allegry and we had to try to go sugar free for many years.. I had a huge problem you just dont realize how much sugar you eat. We ate a ton of dried fruit and used stevia to sweeten things. The stevia has a funny aftertaste but kinda stops the cravings we also use honey and aguva nectar as a topping for whole wheat bread. I still struggle with the sugar thing. There are times that I just NEED chocolate!!

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  09:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Sugar allergy? I couldn't imagine. How did you find out she had that?

Sometimes I'm eating sugar and didn't even realize it. It's like I caught myself with my hand in the cookie jar.

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  12:57:46 PM  Show Profile
She would get really ill a few days after eating too much sugar.. her body would attack the sugar like it was a virus... her temp would rise to 104, her throat would almost swell shut her white blood cell counts were off the charts.. they tested her for everything they could think of and nothing so we went to a natural doctor and she suggested to cut out the sugar and sure enough she stopped getting sick.. (after 75 thousand dollars worth of hospital bills!!) If someone gave her sugar at school or something and she ate it she was sick again in a few days.. Amazing what a body can do I have always wondered why sugar for her I know that pople have food algerys but I had never heard of a sugar one.. The doctor said that there are so many people that have this but refuse to let go of the sugar, they just go to a regualr doctor to get steroids for when they are sick I guess it is supposed to help....

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  1:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
WOW. I'm so sorry that happened!

That's what my doctors wanted to do to me with my food allergies... fix it with steroids. They put me on prednisone for two years, and it was hell. Even then it didn't fix the problem, only dulled it a little bit.

I'm so glad to hear you figured it out! Refined sugar really is bad stuff, more so for some people.

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  4:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Stephanie- My name is Lillian and I am a sugar addict! It is amazing how much we crave sugar! We generally eat healthy around here. I mill our wheat and make our own bread, we grow our own veggies, don't eat many processed foods, but that darn sugar always finds it's way to me! I gave refined sugar up for lent this year and it has been hard. I am finding that I am getting creative when it come to my foods. I allowed myself natural sugar only, that include- real maple syrup, sucant, agave necter, and honey. Now instead of putting jam in my plain yougurt a banana gets mashed up with about a half teaspoon of honey and mixed in the yogurt. Belive it or not it is plenty sweet. Last night I grabed a handful of almonds for my desert (instead of a brownie) and you know almonds have a naturally sweet flavor to them.

I agree with you why take a pill when you can take care of the problem naturally. Good luck.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  5:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Ms Lilly...did you know that you can add raw sugar to your list of natural sweeteners?

Stephanie- did you know the rumor is that sugars cause inflammation?

Anyway, I found this web site explaining white, brown and raw sugar.

http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/73/1/White-sugar-vs-raw-sugar.html

To sum it up -

How raw sugar is made:
Sugar cane is initially pressed and the juice is then mixed with lime to achieve the desired ph balance and to help settle out impurities. The resulting liquid is reduced through evaporation, then a centrifuge used to separate sugar crystals. It is then dried further to produce granules. The brown color of raw sugar is due to presence of molasses.

How white sugar is made:

"White" sugar is created in a couple of ways.

Mill white sugar is the result of sulphur dioxide being introduced to the cane juice before evaporation. It effectively bleaches the mixture.

In the production of refined white sugar, which is the most common product in the Western world, the raw sugar syrup is mixed with a heavy syrup and run through a centrifuge again to take away the outer coating of the raw sugar crystals.

Phosphoric acid and calcium hydroxide are then added to the juice which then combine and absorb or trap impurities. Alternatively, carbon dioxide is used to achieve the same effect.

The resulting syrup is then filtered through a bed of activated carbon to remove molasses and then crystallized a number of times under vacuum. It is then further dried to produce white refined sugar like we buy in the store.

Brown sugar is refined white sugar with a molasses syrup mixed in, then dried again.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  12:14:52 PM  Show Profile
I am Diabetic type 2
I have the sugar issue too.
I use Splendor in my tea and things
They even have brown sugar and to bake with
They also have another new one on the market
but, I can't remember the name of it.
I know a lot of people has issues with this splendor thing;
but,
It helps me in the fact that I can stay on my Diabetic diet better
I hope you find something that works, hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  9:56:55 PM  Show Profile
I too am a sugar addict--mostly in the form of soda. I wish I could give up the darn stuff but I get the worst headaches when I try. I don't think it's th caffeine because I've tried drinking plain coffee instead of soda and I still get headaches. I try to eat lots of natural foods (very little meat) but I still crave sugar. Now I'm trying to drink herbal tea with honey but I still get headaches without the sugar. I don't know what the answer is--it's like going through withdrawal when I try to quit. Plus, when I get headaches, I get sick as well. Could I possibly be allergic to sugar? They say that people often crave the foods they're allergic to.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  11:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
You know, I've heard that too, that you crave what you're allergic to. But at the same time, sugar is such an addictive substance (I have all of these theories in my head about why... but that's another post ;). You might be going through withdrawal and detoxing, and if that's the case, you'd just have to ride it out. When I stopped drinking soda I got terrible headaches but they only lasted about five days, and advil/tylenol took care of them for the most part.

Sugar is so bad for you... systemic inflammatory and additive substance rolled up in one. I totally understand how hard it is to quit!!

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  12:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it is like going through withdrawal--the thing that makes it difficult is that I work full time and when I've tried to quit drinking soda, I get sick. I work at a hospital, so being sick really interferes with my job. I'd almost have to take a week off just to try to withdraw from the stuff--and I really can't afford to do that right now. Plus I don't know if it would work or what the outcome would be. I guess I need to read up on how to de-tox your body and brain from ingesting all that stuff--I've heard it takes a while for all that sugar to leave your system. I do know a woman who gave up sugar cold turkey and she was sick for a while. About a year after she gave it up, she had a craving for a soda. So she bought one and started to drink it--and promptly got sick. That sorta scared me into realizing how bad it really is. I know I need to give it up, I guess I'm just afraid I'll be too sick to work.
PS-I bought some lettuce seeds today and I saw a seed packet for stevia--it makes me wonder, if you grow it, can simply putting a leaf in your mouth,say, help curb your sugar cravings? Has anyone tried this? Seems like it might help.
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  3:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
When you say sick, what do you mean? Like headache/throwing up? I just get headaches and PMS symptoms, like mood swings. I also tend to want to eat a lot more, so I started eating dates because they're a natural/unrefined sugar source. While they help a little bit, my body still wants "the white powder."

My friend Barbara did a ten day juice cleanse (all veggie juice) then a few days after it was over, she had a cookie. That single cookie made her nauseous, lightheaded, and gave her the spins! That was the beginning of realizing just how dangerous it is. Plus the fact that I have a ton of chronic inflammation problems and sugar's a major inflammatory... yikes!

I totally understand the difficulty in quitting. I've been trying for a long time! Though I did manage to walk by that bowl of M&Ms a bunch of times on Friday and not grab any. :)

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  7:34:43 PM  Show Profile
When I say sick, I mean headaches, nausea, even dizziness...I have a juicer but I'm not sure what a ten day body cleanse is--is it nothing but juice for ten days? I've made a beet-apple-carrot juice that is supposed to cleanse the liver but I don't know if I could handle a whole body de-tox. I take a med. that contributes to the dizziness and I don't want to faint. I can't stop taking the med. so I have to eat enough to keep from getting too dizzy.
Maybe if I cut back gradually...I've been trying, but it's so easy to slip back into old habits. I hate to say this, but most people where I work have very poor eating habits, even though they're health care professionals. They think I'm a nut. It's truly like they believe there's a pill for everything...kinda scary at times. There aren't very many holistic doctors around here, and I doubt that my insurance would pay for one. So I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to taking care of my health. One thing I know--working at a hospital is a strong incentive to stay away from doctors.
I really appreciate your help in dealing with this. It bothers me more than I care to admit. It really is an addiction, and just as bad for your health as any addiction. Keep walking past those M&M's
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  7:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Carry water with you everywhere and some cut up fruit. Keeping hyrdated and filled up will help. I am in the middle of deleting dairy, sugar and caffeine from my diet. (I need to do this for medical reasons but mostly health) OUCH!! But I am getting there. Having that BIG bottle of water (I have a re-usable one) helps and I munch on grapes, apples and bananas right now.

I turned the corner on this when I realized bad food is literally killing me. I HAVE to make a change. I watch those around me munch on junk food and I am actually getting sick to my stomach thinking of all the years I spent literally killing myself from the inside out. I might have become the food police for myself, but it is the best decision I have ever made.

I work in healthcare too and am AMAZED at how unhealthy alot of the workers are, especially the one's that work with patients and see the outcomes of poor lifestyle choices. I mean, yes, some things CAN'T be prevented but I see so many DOCTORS drinking 8-9 sodas a shift. ICKY!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Heather-Thanks for your suggestion about carrying a water bottle everywhere--I hadn't thought of that! And I love to snack on dried fruit that I get at the natural foods store--I don't have access to a fridge at work (well, I do, but it's out of the way) so any fresh fruit would not hold up too well, especially with the weather getting warmer (midwest summers are sooo humid!).
About doctors--most of the docs I know won't even take the advice of their fellow doctors--yet they expect us to accept everything they say!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  07:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Hi Stephanie

I think it is great that you are trying to find natural ways to kick the sugar habit. Most medical doctors are far to willing to push chemical drugs upon us just to curb the symptoms while masking the real problem. Don't ever let a doctor tell you that the only way is by more pills/shots etc. I believe there is always a natural alternative.

Sugar is a hard habit to control. I have fought with it, food addictions can be as bad or worse than drug addictions. Having water with you all the time is an excellent thing to do. Be careful of the dried fruit, there can be as much sugar in that as in things like candy bars.

I find that if you can try to stick it out for at least 7 days then it gets much easier. As with someone else, I gave up sweets/sugar for Lent and that seemed to make it so much easier than just doing it for myself. I know do not crave the candy and chocolate but would rather have fresh fruits instead. I also have put my kids on this type of eating although they don't know it. ;) If I have those types of snacks in the house guess who is dipping into them all day...me. lol It will be good for them to eat healthy too.

Hang in there and never give up. If you feel like you didn't do so good on a certain day with eating, just remember tomorrow is a new day and you can begin again. :) You can do it!! :)

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Sarah! I appreciate the wisdom. The hardest part of the month for me is the week before Auntie Flow arrives, and then everything's haywire. I feel like if I can just control *that* part, I'll have it so much easier. Plus, I think my cycle itself will be less traumatic as well - PMS symptoms seem to be getting worse as I get older, and I know sugar effects hormones and whatnot.

We need to start a SA - sugarholics anonymous!

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
You're welcome :). I'm a big fan of Dr. Andrew Weil. He is a Harvard educated MD that is very open to alternative/natural therapies but also considers conventional medicine when appropriate.
For PMS he suggests eliminating caffeine, getting plenty of exercise, taking black current oil(500 mg twice daily) and dong quai(two capsules twice daily). I generally only get the water retention thing and exercise does the trick for me.

Also evening primrose oil and raspberry leaf tea are good for women's issues.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jenybea
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Jenny
Caldwell Tx
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  8:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you tried Stevia? It is suppose to ok. Does not effect Diabetics. Would love to hear about your experience with it.
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  9:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Stevia is great, though some people complain about the taste. I guess it depends on your own personal tastes, because I think it tastes like licorice, but my aunt thinks it tastes like honey. Weird!

--------------------

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Trying to Kick the Sugar... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page