Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  09:36:26 AM  Show Profile
Hapyhrt, What sweet thoughts of your great aunt. My grandmother always wore aprons,as soon as she was dressed, she would don her "uniform" for the day. At meal time she always made my g'pa wear an apron as he was a messy eater. I can still see him in pink gingham. Simply, Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  12:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
That is so funny! I can see your g'pa sitting around eating with an apron on.
You know that gives me a wonderful idea!
I do believe that I have the messiest 8 year old boy in the word, nickname "pigpen". I am SO going to make him an apron to wear when he eats- as well as one for the chair he eats in and the floor that's under him when he eats.

Any one have a kiddie apron pattern???

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  1:05:48 PM  Show Profile
For my second post I thought I would post a link to a free online pattern for a clothespin apron that I found.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1979_March_April/A_European_Style_Clothespin_Apron
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  1:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Susie Q-
What a great web site! I saved it as a favorite to go back and search through all the apron patterns.

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  10:07:34 PM  Show Profile
An easy apron for kids is to take a kitchen towel and cut the top to the shape of a butchers apron, and then add bias tape where you cut to give ties for the waist and the neck. I always made my girls aprons that way when they were small. It works great.

Susie Q, Thanks for the pattern post. I was talking with my neighbor lady, who is 83 and always wears an apron, how she always has to fill her apron pockets with pins when she goes out to hang the wash. I think I will make her the clothespin apron in return for the crocheted doily she gave me yesterday "just because".

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni

Edited by - Julia on Aug 12 2005 10:20:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  01:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I also have a "Pigpen"..my three year old grandaughter who thinks one hand is for holding the silverware while you continue to shovel food into your mouth with your other hand!

I made her a couple of full frontal aprons out of oilcoth..they just wipe clean. Oilcloth is really pretty easy to sew too.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile
My granddaughter (who is 3 now) spent the first 2 and 1/2 years of her life here every single day and when it was "feeding time at the zoo" she wanted her "cowboy apron"..which was a big dishtowell folded in half diagonally and tied like a bandana at the back of her neck. It was a big help keeping her clean.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:16:18 PM  Show Profile

My Grandmother did not wear aprons, but she wore smocks. They were long sleeved (In southwest La ?) with bottons down the front. She would put her smock on over her clothes at the beginning of the day and begin preparing food and cleaning her home.

She had beautiful roses and flower beds and I could look out of my windown (from our farm house) and see my grandmother out in her garden with her smock on AND a huge straw hat. She always protected her skin even before we knew so much about skin cancer.

My grand mother was from Kansas and came down to Louisiana because her family was going to work on the rail way and mill lumber. My grandfather (from Pennsylvania) did own a sawmill and our farm that we have today. I did not know my grandfather because he was 40 years older than my grandmother and died when my father was a young man.

She died 30 years ago when I was a young housewife. I wish I would have spent more time with her, but at that time I was away leaning was I was supposed to learn. However, I was home at the end of her life and she died in my arms. What a gift.It is wonderful to talk about her to you. I seldom get this chance.

My mother wore aprons and so did my aunt. I don't have any of them or their patterns. I do wear aprons, but they are the "modern" ones that I can find at stores. Not the real farm girl aprons that Mother wore. My mother died 1 year ago at the wonderful age of 94---what a charter. That will be for another time--her life as a rice farm wife... Do Tell !!!!!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Linda for sharing such wonderful memories of your G'ma and Mom. I love hearing such stories of those who have cleared the path for us.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh Linda I am tearing up reading your beautiful story about your grandmother. What a gift she was to you! Your memory of her in her smock tending her rose garden is truly lovely. This should be printed in MaryJane's magazine on aprons. Thanks for sharing with us.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:49:22 PM  Show Profile
Due in no small part to the inspiration from this topic and all your posts, I have FINALLY finished making my first apron. It was a little harder than I thought, especially the pockets; it took longer than I thought, but it is done. Notice it has a tiny red gingham check accent on the pockets. It is reversable, but I got tired of making pockets so the reverse side has none. It is not exactly vintage and it is not from a real vintage pattern, but I think it's not too bad. I had fun making it and hopefully it won't be my last.

Nancy

Edited by - quiltedess on Aug 14 2005 09:37:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:53:29 PM  Show Profile
What a darling apron Nancy! I love it! Love the red gingham touches to the blue! Good job!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Very nice, Nancy! I've been in apron mode all day long too.. I don't have a digital camera, so posting isn't so easy for me. I've been emersed in green though!!!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  7:03:03 PM  Show Profile
Love it Nancy...you did a great job..it is adorable!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  7:10:09 PM  Show Profile
I hit the jackpot yard saling today. I was so happy, couldn't wait to get home and sort it all out. At one yard sale a lady said she used to either run an antique store or had a booth at one, either way, she had linens and aprons and hankies and doilies all for sale. I bought two of the aprons, one goes up and over the head is a very light pink gingham with white bias tape sewed in stripes across the bib part and bottom and the other is a half apron that is a mint green with tiny red and pink flowers scattered all around. I think someone mentioned it before-how small women must have been back in the day-because these aprons sure are small. I certainly won't be using them unless I just want to cover one leg. LOL

Then I went to an estate sale and - Jackpot again! There I got a few table cloths for smaller tables. Two of them are absolutely beautiful it is made with a heavier dishcloth type fabric, not linen, and then someone hand embroidered blue flowers all around the edge of one and the other had multi-colored flowers embroidered in each of the corners. They each had a crocheted edge to match the flowers. They are just beautiful and needed a home, both called out to me. :o) And I paid only $5.50 for one and $3 for the other. There was another tablecloth that was very brightly colored with all the primary colors, the pattern had teapots and fruit placed on a grid of big squares. That didn't really describe it very well, but it was eye catching, so I picked that up along with a matching set of napkins - don't remember how much that one was, but cheap enough that I could buy it.

I was so excited, I called my daughter right away to tell her of my finds, she was not "quite" as impressed as I was, but was glad that I had fun finding them. All I could think of as I was looking through everything at each place, was that I wished many of you could have been with me so that you could have snatched up some of them, too. Or that I could have gotten them all and sent everyone a little something. I'm going to have to increase my yard sale allowance to do that. m-m-m-m-m-m...

I've said many times how encouraging you all are, so much so that the night before on the way home from work I stopped at the second hand store, Value Village, and found an old rusty iron skillet. On the kitchen forum, I had asked about restoring a dutch oven I have and someone else was inquiring about a rusty skillet they had, so with everyone's help, I decided to buy it ($3.83) and see what I could do with it. If it works, I'm going to give it to my daughter for Chrsitmas. She enjoys cooking and is always using my skillet when she comes home, so I hope she will enjoy having one of her own.

It sure was fun and partly due to the commaraderie we have here on the forum to keep an eye out for bargains, restore the old things back to useable things and have fun with the things we love. Thanks, girls, you're the best.

God bless you all this weekend.

In His hands,
Lynda

PS, Thank and praise God, we finally got a decent rain and cooler weather.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  7:15:16 PM  Show Profile
My this topic moves fast. 5 posts were made from the time I started my reply until I submitted it. (Yes, I know, if I wouldn't type so much...) :o)

I love the apron, Nancy. You did a great job making it. Don't you just love making them reversible? That's what I do, too. I think it makes them a lot more sturdy and durable. Keep you the good work. God's blessings to you.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  7:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Amen Lynda!!! We have a total of 5 inches in our rain gauge...My raindance must have worked because things were getting desperate here. What wonderful finds you landed today! I look at things in a new light after I joined this forum. Like you said, everyone here is so inspiring! It's wonderful to share these little joys with others here that understand! That pink gingham sounds so cute...I have always been a gingham freak.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  8:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Good Job on the finds, Lynda! Isn't there something almost sacred about valuing these timeless pieces and giving them purpose and dignity once again? My find this week was 3 child size half aprons, I'm thinking 1950-60's type material, probably a child size 8 or 10. I think I'll iron them up and have them ready for when my grandaughter gets "there".

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  8:40:39 PM  Show Profile
That's great Lynda...I love to stumble on to a sale like that..wonderful. I am overdue!!! I may get a chance to visit a couple thrift stores when I go up north to the BIG city (provo) on Tuesday ALONE..which never happens! I can hardly wait. I wish I would have a bigger budget with me..but it will be fun just the same.
I bet your daughter will love the skillet!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  10:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Good Job Lynda! Would have loved to have been with you. I hit the jackpot again at my local thrift store with a bunch of linens and an apron. Found a cute white apron with cut work embroidery (I think I spelled that wrong. Where is spell check when you need it!) at the edge.
We haven't gotten rain, but it is much cooler! Yeah!!
Love the apron Nancy! The pockets are great!

Edited by - Julia on Aug 13 2005 10:06:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  12:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Nancy -- what an adorable apron! For being your first you did a superb job! Think I need to sew another apron for myself tomorrow.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  12:45:28 PM  Show Profile
JPBluesky, I've emailed you 4 times. If you have not received them due to computer glitches... let me know and I'll just snail mail you.

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  4:02:01 PM  Show Profile
Very cute apron, Nancy. I love the pockets!

I have one apron cut out so far but haven't had time to make it yet. I babysat my grandkids this weekend. I'm exhausted.....................

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  4:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the sweet compliments ladies, that makes it all worth it
Lynda, you've really got me thinking about checking the thrift stores tomorrow. I often go to pick up wool skirts to use for wool projects (I have lots of wool so far, but haven't actually done a wool project), now I have something else to check for while I'm there.
Nancy

Edited by - quiltedess on Aug 14 2005 4:40:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  6:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Remember Rosa and the aprons made from chicken seed sacks? Well, today at church Rosa brought the sack of them. She told me to take them home, try them on, see what fits and then "We'll talk". When I got home I took them out, one by one, (all 14 of them) unfolded them and layed them all over the couch. I took each one, and laid them in my lap looking at the detail and fabric. It was so wonderful! So many of them where pieced together to make the apron big enough. They were so creative with the piecing. Most of them are small with dainty little pockets. Several have ric-rac, some with lace. I tried them all on. three out of the 14 went over the head, the rest tied at the waist. They are so soft from wear and time. I could picture them wearing them, looking looking out to the horizon wondering if, and when the men folk would return from the war. In the mean time they would make due, carry the eggs or veggies into the kitchen in their apron, wipe a moist eye as they gave thanks for the bounty and for the men to be safe. I was humbled as I was holding in my hand a forgotten part of our history, the woman who held the famliy together with apronstrings and prayers while the men fought to keep them safe. It was very moving for me.
One of the other ladies who had heard Rosa's and my conversation, came up to me, put a sack in my hand and said,"these are for you". When I opened it there were 5 aprons! 2 smock style and the others tie at the waist. the smocks are my favorites. One looks just like the one my g'ma use to wear and the other is white with blue bachelor buttons trimmed with blue bias tape. Needless to say, it has been a good day for me! Simply, Julia

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page