jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  04:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Darn - I missed out on a cute vintage bib apron on Ebay last night. There were only 30 minutes left and no bids, so I put in a low bid, and someone came in and beat me out by .50. It was light blue with bright pink embroidered umbrellas around the bottom. So cute and unusual!!! Thought I had it for a good price for sure. I would not have minded if it was Meadowlark that got it! :(

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  06:26:52 AM  Show Profile
I've been disappointed on several occasions at Ebay lately, by just the same thing, jpbluesky. I think I'm gonna take an Ebay break for awhile. The aprons and apron patterns are going wild. Some games it's just better not to play. But, that gives me more time to do my own apron thing, doesn't it?!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  08:12:46 AM  Show Profile
It wasn't me Jp...I found that same thing happening too on the apron bids so I am laying low and not going there anymore... It's just too crazy. (and expensive) I am going to wait for some of my farmgirl sista's to craft some lovely aprons to purchase!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile
I am taking an ebay break too...Just too adictive and I have been there too much the past month. I did get some cute patterns though!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  10:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
You gals need to hit some estate sales! I work for a professional Estate Seller and we nearly always have a whole box of them for a dollar a piece. The women of that age who have passed on almost all had aprons and I am sure would be happy to have them worn by a happy farmgirl than thrown away.Check your newspapers on Fridays!
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like we have enough between us that we could start our own "aprons only FGBay" (FarmGirl Bay). It seems like we each would like to have one from the other, anyway, so no bidding would be necessary and it would certainly put a dent in the addiction part, of which I'm guilty, too. At least while we recoup from the latest spending sprees. :o)

I haven't really made any vintage ones yet. My style are the butcher type aprons, but they are reversible, some with and some without pockets - only because sometimes I get in a hurry and forget about the pocket until it's too late to add it. OOps! As a Pampered Chef consultant we have to wear an apron, that is one of many reasons why I love it, most other consultants wear the company apron with the logo - not me, I personalize it by wearing my own and I make different ones to match the theme of the show. It's a lot more fun that way and gives me more reasons to keep sewing them. And then, usually someone will ask me about my apron and well, you get the picture, it goes from there. I can cover two bases with one visit.

Hey, I like the idea of being twins with our red gingham aprons. You'll have to tell me more about the summer fair (?). What's that? I know I've heard references to it, but wasn't sure what all it entailed. Sounds fun if it means wearing an apron.

Well, girls I really have to run, talk about being addicted, I'm going to get caught one of these days by trying to stay in touch at work. Just can't stay away from you all, I like taking you to work with me. Duty does call, though, so I'll catch you when I get home.

God bless you all in all that you do to share His love with others through your the actions of your heart.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  1:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Diane -- why don't you grab a box of aprons at the next estate sale and sell them here under marketplace?

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  1:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Diane -- I have to retract what I just posted about selling the aprons. I forgot that we can only offer handmade items under Marketplace. Sorry!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  1:46:38 PM  Show Profile
By the way, I have two red gingham aprons with cross stitch on them. Half-aprons. Love them to death. To my best recollection, this was a public school home-ec project nation-wide. I took home-ec in middle school and we were taught to use the sewing machine by making a red gingham apron. Maybe that is why there are so many on the market now!

But I love them all the more for that.

And I think I will take a break from Ebay too. All of us can make, for a small price, what others are paying through the nose for! I love you gals!
jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 10 2005 1:49:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  1:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Lynda, If you want to know what farm fair is ( someone else correct me if I am wrong here) go to the Mary Jane site and there should be pics and info about this past summer's farm fair. It is the 3rd year for this celebration at MJ's farm over 4th of July weekend. Food, vendors, music, fellowship, farm tours and this summer a farmgirl campover under the stars! MJ and all the crew put their hearts and soul into this! A bunch of us farmgirls are planning on a pilgrimage to Moscow Idaho next July to experience this farmgirl heaven! Hope you can join us! And wear that red gingham apron!

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 10 2005 1:58:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  2:01:38 PM  Show Profile
JP, I took home ec in middle school and in 8th grade clothing class in 1970 I made an aqua gingham apron. I have looked for it at my parents but cannot find it Hope my Dad didn't use it for a grease rag!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  2:30:11 PM  Show Profile
I made an orange gingham one in the early 70's when I was in 8th grade!! I had forgotten that!! It is long gone...I wonder where?? I remember making hot pants and a skirt too. Our very first project was a drawstring bag. I know I finally wore that out ..used it for everything!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

JoSamataro
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

JoAnne
Stonington Connecticut
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  3:05:10 PM  Show Profile
I have been waring my Grandmother's aprons since I was a little girl, and still do to this day. I wish I could find new ones but no one makes them anymore. My Aprons are from the 50's but I love them, in fact I was waring one last night when I made my husband Mary Janes Sour dough butter milk biscuits. Jo
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I made a yellow gingham one in junior high too! I remember we folded the bottom of a square of fabric up to make pockets along the bottom.Maybe this is the universal first sewing project, well at least it was a hundred years ago when i was in 7th grade...during the covered wagon era..LoL..in 1970. Wish I still had mine too!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Can't I offer them in the Farm Girl Barter section?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Give me a break, Diane! You're a baby!!! Or is it "You've come a long way, baby!" ?

I see no problem with offering "found" aprons in the barter section. It would probably work best if you posted a photo link to them. You can use Yahoo photos, or photo bucket, or some similar program to do that. See the Tech section for the tutorial on Yahoo Photos, which is pretty generic and works for just about any application.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  05:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls, I thought I read someone was putting aprons for sale on the market place. I dont see them. Clare, are you selling them? I have been trying to make one by hand, my tredle is at my sister's house because my brother-in-law is working on it, been there forever and Im not doing well. I did however take a older apron and made it into a clothespin bag, I love it. Is anyone selling aprons? I am still making one but it may take forever. My goal was to make them for my sisters, my daughter and a few older women for christmas, it isn't looking very good. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  05:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Michele, I'm making aprons. I'm still in research and due diligence mode, so when I'm ready to go public, I'll post here. Might be a couple months. It will most likely be on a consignment basis at first, until I get an inventory built up. I'll keep ya posted.

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  05:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare, count me in. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  07:30:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Diane! Which wagon train headed west were you on? Mine stopped and stayed in Kansas!

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  08:08:10 AM  Show Profile
ROFL you guys are too cute

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  08:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Michele, what kind of aprons are you looking for? Specifically vintage? I have a few on hand and lots just waiting to be made. Since I'm not doing any craft fairs this fall, I just haven't pushed myself to make them, but the goods are there to do so if the need arises. I'd be happy to help you, too.

Blessings on your day.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  12:03:04 PM  Show Profile
I was talkng to a couple of the older ladies at my church last night. I asked if either of them sewed. Rosa said she did. I asked her if she had any old apron patterns. She said that she may and would look for me. THEN! She told me she had a bag of old aprons that she and her MIL made back in the 40's, made from chicken feed sacks. She is taking them back to a famly reunion, as they always have an auction to raise money for a charity. She is going to let me see them. I am hoping she will let me buy a couple with the funds going to their charity. I can't wait to fondle them, and here stories of these torches of women hood. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, I found another vintage apron at my local thrift store. That's 5 in two weeks! One more story to bore you with... I was pulling out some fabirc from my stash, when I came across some left over quilt pieces that my mom had used from my wedding quilt. I thought it would be fun to piece them together and use them as pockets on an apron. The pieces are all from dresses of mine when I was little. There are enough to use for aprons for my three girls. Sounds like a Christmas project in the making!
Simply. Julia

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  12:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Julia, that sounds like a wonderful idea making aprons for your 3 girls from such special fabrics! I hope you are able to purchase a few of the 40's aprons from Rosa. That would be sweet of her to share them with you! Hmm... looks like aprons have made a comeback once again, their popularity seems to be on the increase, especially vintage aprons! Sure wish I had a few that my great aunt wore, she loved her smock aprons and wore one everyday no matter what! Brings back fond memories of this sweet woman who was an outstanding cook and loved my Mom and us kids as her own, she's gone now but her memory still brings smiles to my heart.
Good luck with the apron searching! Ü

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  11:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Meadowlark ,mine started in Iowa and ended up in Washington state...threw a wheel on a hard left hand turn, took out the oxen on the right side, and here I am!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page