Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  9:53:29 PM  Show Profile
It sure does pay to let people know what you like, huh? I have done this with family members and they seem to give me family keepsakes from time to time.
I have about 5 or 6 of my paternal grandmother's aprons. My mom, knowing I love anything old, especially family things saved them for me. She was the caretaker for my dad's mom and was able to save the aprons (amoung other things) for me. They are all in different colors and look just dandy hanging in my kitchen. The colors are not necessarily what I would use, but because they are vintage they match my decor.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  05:13:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Julia, what a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing with us the kindness of your church friends and the description of your aprons.

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  3:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Pamela, How fun to have your g'ma's aprons. I wish I had my g'ma's.
jpbluesky, your welcome :) !

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  4:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Julia!

I love that idea about an apron out of a towel. I'll have to try that one, goodness- we have plenty of towels that I can use!

Thanks so much!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  4:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Nancy!
I love your apron! I think that its perfect- what great fabric and colors!
Awesome

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Wish me luck guys. Tomorrow is my day to meet my niece for our girls shopping, day and night out and I'm going to coax her into going thrift store shopping with me. For some reason I'm hesitant to go on my own. Don't know why but I am. Hopefully she will find some books to keep her busy while I look around for some other things. I'll let you know if I find anything really exciting!!

Kathy in New York

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  8:49:24 PM  Show Profile
I love aprons and it seems everywhere I turn aprons are becoming popular again. I'm just thrilled to see so many women giving aprons a try. Couldn't live without mine. I'm too messy! hee!
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  8:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear! I had no idea there were 16 pages to this thread! I just saw the first one before posting! Well, I guess aprons really are getting popular again!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:11:56 PM  Show Profile
I made a new one today...the same pattern as the last one I made...I had already cut it out last week...a neat 1930's reproduction print in green...love it!! I am going up north tomorrow and plan a stop at a fabric store for sure..things are so limited here in the boonies. I need to leave the checkbook and debit card in the car though....cash only so I don't spend too much...haha

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Your welcome Tawnya!
Kathigene, Have fun, would love to go with you, I love going to thrift stores!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni

Edited by - Julia on Aug 15 2005 9:18:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:58:58 PM  Show Profile
Are any of you apron lovers planning on Chapter projects incorporating the making them? Just curious...

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  10:41:41 PM  Show Profile
YES! we are hopefully going to do the harvest aprons in the fall...but I think with an added bib on front..

Jenny in Utah
[green]The best things in life arn't things[green]
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  05:42:45 AM  Show Profile
For the apron sewers among you, I wanted to share this link (below) to a great looking, vintage style apron pattern. Love the fabric choice in the picture!
Purchased a pattern before I found the link below. Simplicity 4987. Nice but not vintage. Found fabric with a kind of "kitschy childrensbook homemaker print" (little girls hanging their laundry on the line, etc.) and I think it'll be fun to make and wear. Now, all I need to find is time and the right mood to get started.
http://warehouseshops.com/catalog/branditems.asp?CartId=12-EVEREST-590216HFYRN14&BC=IJ&BN=Indygo+Junction&Cc=QWPWA&tpc=&CN=Aprons

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  07:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Cute!! now that would be a great one to use to make an apron out of a vintage tablecloth for sure!! I like it with the ruffle too!!! Be sure to post a picture when you are done...I would love to see it in the print you got!!!

Jenny in Utah
[green]The best things in life arn't things[green]
Go to Top of Page

Anna
MaryJane's Farmgirl

27 Posts

Pullman WA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  12:14:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi! This is Anna, the seamstress from MaryJanesFarm. I just wanted to let everyone knoe that there are going to be a bunch of really great apron patterns in the Stitching Room book that is going to be released in the spring. So, keep your eyes open for some really beautiful and unique aprons!
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  6:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh goodie...We can't wait! My daughter told me she found five vintage aprons in the FREE bin at her local thrift shop. I told her about aprons being all the rave here at the MaryJanesFarm Connection. When she told me what she got I asked what she was going to do with them...thinking she would ebay them as she does everything (yeah, she makes a part time living selling on ebay), but she said "Keep them!" "Good," I said.

One thing I wanted to give a tip to any of you who get those aprons or anything handed down from your mother's or grandmothers: Label it, who it belonged to, when you got it, or any other circumstances about it. I use a piece of cardstock either I have written on or typed on my computer and printed out. Then I tie it on with a piece of ribbon or pin it on. I no longer trust my brain to remember the details about the things I get handed down to me, so I have to record them.
You could also photograph them, put the photos into a scrapbook and document them this way. Just don't forget to journal.
I have decided to keep a written journal on the things I find at yard sales, especially furniture or quilts, or the more significant items. This way when I am dead and gone my kids will know where all of my treasures came from. Or better yet I will remember where I got them when I have forgotten next week!
Maybe a post on the topic of preserving and documenting your treasures would be a good one...what do you all think?

Pamela

Edited by - Photobugs on Aug 16 2005 9:06:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  6:54:19 PM  Show Profile
Those are great ideas Pamela! Never thought to keep an apron journal!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 16 2005 6:54:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Deb H
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Deb
Glendale Missouri
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  8:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello, all! On Saturday, I went to a few thrift/antique stores and bought my first aprons...only paid an average of $5/each - better than e'bay, I think. Two of them were in ziploc bags and I didn't even open them until I got home, but bought them because I liked the fabric...one of them was made from a square scarf, with one corner cut off and made into two pockets. It has a grosgrain ribbon tie and ric rac sewn around the edge. The other one has a potholder sewn onto one side as a pocket and then another potholder attached to the other side with a snap - very ingenious! And so cute - I was so excited when I opened them up! Someone mentioned putting aprons up in her kitchen, like a valance, and I think that's what I'm going to do to add some color to my kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  08:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Deb P,
HI, I see that you are new to the forum - Welcome - from one STL gal to another. I also live in ST.Louis. It must have been a good day for linens and aprons on Saturday. I went yard saling and to an estate sale and came across some great finds. A couple of aprons, several small table cloths, old hankies and some doilies with embroidery work and crocheted edges.

What a treasure to know that you are so close, we'll have to hook up so we can do double-duty at the thrift stores and yard sales. Send me an email of how to get in touch.

I have an apron across my back door window as a valance, but I must confess, I got that idea from someone else on this forum. Mine is a red gingham half apron with white rick-rack trim. It fits really well and certainly adds color. Have fun with putting your aprons to good use.

This is so exciting! Looking forward to getting to know you. Have a blessed day!

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  09:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Kim - I thought of you awhile ago when I saw a rooster design half apron on Ebay. It is on the list of "soon to go", if you go looking for it. It is red!

Pamela - great idea of a treasure journal. I keep a photo journal of all the needlework stuff I have done over the years. Once i give stuff away, I forget it, and it is neat to go back and look.

You know, there are over 1,000 aprons listed on Ebay!!! They are hot!
jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 17 2005 09:44:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  09:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Girls, I had to go to ebay the other night...the aprons were calling to meYIKES! There was THE cutest 40's-50's organza pink/white bib with a peter pan collar and pink ric rack embroidery. I put in a bid and won it reasonable. I had never seen one quite like this, very feminine Donna Reedish... HELP! I need apron intervention!!!! I have to start ignoring those urges!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  10:34:08 AM  Show Profile
Breathe, Meadowlark, Breathe!!!!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  10:39:40 AM  Show Profile

Hi farmgirls! I am pleased to see that so many of you are loving vintage aprons ~ since MaryJane is calling all of us farmgirls at heart "the apron society"!! It is certainly a treasure when you find them free at a thrift store, at estate sales, yard sales, on e-bay or in your grandmother's trunk ~ just waiting to be loved and worn again. I love reading all your ideas! Jenny's harvest aprons would be a wonderful idea for a bridal shower gift or for Christmas. Our grandmother's are smiling from ear to ear!! Who knew that rick rack would be a sought after item again. My Mother sewed and put rick rack on everything, especially her aprons! The vintage pattern material makes it easy to want to sew an apron. MaryJane will have a dozen or so vintage apron patterns in her workbook that will come out next spring. The workbook will be approsimately 168 pages for about $20.00 Anna and Julie are having oodles of fun looking at lots of vintage aprons for ideas. Julie Bell and MaryJane always come home from auctions and antique stores with yet another "new" vintage apron. Our Mothers and Grandmothers loved wearing aprons, they are beautiful and functional at the same time.
Next time you go to town or to your local Farmer's Market wear a fancy apron over your jeans, overalls, skirt or dress for a frivolous look!! MaryJane and all of us here wear them all the time! It's just plain fun and folks always comment on the beautiful vintage apron as it brings back fond memories of simpler days.
I think it would be fun to share pictures of our favorite aprons and those we make, too ~ we'll work on that when the server is finished expanding our website capabilities. You could mail or scan your pictures for posting ~ wouldn't that be a hoot??!!
sunnily yours,
Cindylou

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  11:32:05 AM  Show Profile

Hi again!! I want to let you know that MaryJane,our fearless farmgirl leader, is going to New York City for a Celebration of Personal Style Event in Central Park, Saturday October 1st. MaryJane will be taking lots of handsewn aprons made by our rural area seamstresses so all those city "farmgirls at heart" can purchase a homemade vintage look apron. This event is sponsored by Country Home magazine. For more information go to www.countryhome.com Click on 'Be Creative New York' on the top of the home page. Then click on 'Meet the Editors and Stylemakers'. MaryJane is very excited to meet Mary Chapin Carpenter!
Soon we will have Apron Stitiching Kits, with everything you need to make your own apron, available on the website for those of you who are learning to sew ~ it is up to those of us who know how to sew to share our skills with those who are beginning. That is what we farmgirls do best!!
Oh ~ MaryJane's Stitching Room Workbook #1 will be 128 pages, not 168.
Talk to you soon!
sunnily yours,
Cindylou

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  11:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Cindylou - thank you for keeping us in the loop (no apron pun intended)!

My favorite aprons are still and always will be the ones I got from mom and grandma. But it is so fun to collect and make more. Your idea of wearing them out is great. I wear mine all over the neighborhood. Down to the mailbox, and next door to visit. I get some funny looks sometimes, but I think people are always wondering what I am making now or doing now. And it is a conversation piece, that is for sure. Now I have to be brave enough to keep it on when I get in the car! Here's to Apron Fever!

jpbluesky
hearland Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page