Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  2:06:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again clare, seeing the instructons jogged my memory, it definetly needs jogging! Can't wait to give it a go! Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  08:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Good morning sweet ladies! I don't know with the 11 pages of this topic, if anyone has posted this, but I found a sweet testimonial today on "Apron Evangelism"....here is the link:

http://hillbillyhousewife.com/apronevangelism.htm

It's a real pleasant read...enjoy!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  8:02:30 PM  Show Profile
Molly, what a neat story. The web site looks worth further investigation, thanks. I have been wearing aprons everyday now. I still get strange looks from my family, but I think they are getting over the change. It does make me feel more apart of my daily routine. One of the vintage aprons I just bought has two deep pockets. I call it my gathering apron as it is great for putting fresh green beans and other veggies in from the garden. I don't even mind the neighbors seeing me in my "uniform". Besides, they reap the benefits of those deep pockets too!
Simply, Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  8:38:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to make an apron tomorrow, perhaps two. It is a pattern called "Church Lady Apron" by Mary Mulari. I've been laughing and relating to all you collectors. I got on a sewing machine collecting kick a while back. My best deal was a Singer 15-66 (I think) for $11.00. I've also got three featherweights, my great aunt's old singer treadle, an old Pfaff 130 and a really old, approx. 1870, Willcox & Gibbs chainstitch treadle. I ran out of money :-) and had to stop, besides I'm out of room for them. But, boy do I LOVE them.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile
I scored big today at a yard sale. I got five small boxes of rick rack and bias tape to use on aprons. They have a slight musty smell to them, but nothin' that Oxyclean won't take out. There was also a tin box of buttons. Not that I 'needed' the buttons, but could not pass them up.
Just wanted to share my good news.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice scream!"
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  8:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Pamela, I'm envious BIG TIME!!! Terrific finds. Good for you!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  8:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nancy! Sounds like you could have something going on all your machines at one time, sewing what suits your mood at the time. I learned to sew on my grandmother's singer featherweight. It is now in my possesion. I am still searching for a treadle. SOmeday! SImply, Julia

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:14:01 PM  Show Profile
I usually have two machines set up at one time. The most at a time was four. :-) The chainstitch machine is my favorite. It makes the most beautiful stitch I've ever seen.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:41:46 PM  Show Profile
I am really envious of your bias tape and ric rac find too, pamela..wow!!
I finally took pictures of the apron I finished tonight. It is my fourth one from this pattern and I love the style. Fits me to a tee. I have several more cut out and ready to go. Sent two off to my sis in law in Calif yesterday. And I have one on right now! The one in the pictures http://photobucket.com/albums/y45/AuntJenny/ is made from the left over fabric from the others I cut out. I think it will be my favorite..they are all the Aunt Graces' Scrap bag fabrics...1930's reproductions and I love them!! I got some of every one our local fabric store/hardware store carries. Can't wait to go to "town" and find more prints like them.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, Your apron is darling! Wow, I love it! Your SIL is one lucky gal! You are so talented! beautiful job!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  10:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Very Cute, Aunt Jenny!!! Love it! I'm on my second apron right now.... going a bit slow since it's so *(@#$)__@@## hot here lately. Over 100 degrees for the last two days and expected to continue... jeepers. It wilts and drains me. Gotta have energy for my apron making!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  10:10:52 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way...heat just saps my strength!! We have finally had a little bit cooler weather this last few days...it hasn't been getting over 85. Still hotter than I like ( I could live with 65 degree days or colder. I do want my tomatoes and peppers to grow though!! I feel for you with the 100 degree days..we had that for almost ALL of July. Thought I would die!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  11:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- your apron is so cute. I have this pattern -- I may have to get one made this weekend.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  07:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I am the same way with eBay, it can get to be an addiction if you aren't careful!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  07:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Jenny from Utah, cute cute cute apron!!! Love the colors!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  1:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, Your Apron is absolutely adorable! The colors would go with my kitchen! I can't wait to get to my machine and get sewing. I have had extra respnsiblities latly that have kept me from creating. Can't wait till it slows down again. By then, hopfully, it will be cooler as well.
Julia

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  08:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I love your apron, it's very adorable. I made one this past weekend for my son. He turned 21 and is a chef. So one side had a wine bottle print and the other side was plain fabric. We passed it around with a marker and had everyone sign it for his birthday. He really liked it.

However, I probably enjoyed making it more than he liked getting it. It had been a long while since I sat down at the machine, so it was a thrill to buy the fabric (not that I really needed to, if you could see my stash), get a pattern and sit and sew. I have two plastic tubs of fabric designated for nothing but aprons all coordinated and ready to have a pattern pinned on. So many ideas, so many projects, not enough hours. Someone at the party asked me about making aprons and sewing, my daughter was standing by and she just started to laugh, and asked the other person, "have you seen mom's sewing room?" She may tease, but she loves getting those homemade items, too.

After reading so many posts about finding aprons and vintage patterns and fabrics on Ebay, I have started to look and my, oh my, I am amazed. I had no idea there was such a huge following for these things. I just thought it was something us farmgirls had a fancy for near and dear to our hearts.

No, I didn't just look, yes, I had to bid - and I won on two. Yeah! One is a half red gingham checked apron with cross stitching across the bottom 6 or 7 rows of checks. You can tell it was lovingly stitched and I wonder about the kitchen it worked in and the person who made it. What was it's original purpose? The person even stitched around the rick-rack so that it looks striped kind of like a candy cane. The other one is a full apron that slips over the head. It is blue with white polka dots and the pockets are red with white polka dots. It's very cute, but a little smaller than I thought, so it will hang on my apron hook and just look pretty. The red gingham apron is now the curtain on my back door - thanks to an idea I got from someone on this topic.

So happy apon sewing, shopping and best of all, wearing. Blessings on your day.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:31:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey Clare:

I often wear a long apron all day in my home. It's great. It keeps the quilt and fabric threads off my clothes not to mention when my Jack Russel Terrier jumps up for hug, I don't get hair or mud on me. I think it really keeps my clothes nice and clean so when I do go out for errands I don't look like my house work and cooking got the best of me. Since I wear them alot I try to look for cute ones, but coverage is the most important factor!

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  1:59:09 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - your apron is adorable!!!!!!! We are all using the same word, but it is true!!!! I love it. I always enjoy all your photos so much. Your home looks as if any of us could walk in the door and sit down at your table and feel so good and at home.

Anyway, when you get to the point of selling your parons (and you might) I want one. Just like I want one of Clare's. I know I have said I like terry cloth, but I really would love to have one like the ones you both are making.

Love it!!!! You did good!
jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 09 2005 4:23:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  3:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Lynda -- your aprons sound adorable!! I think that the popularity of aprons is definitely on the rise. It is due in part to the apron article that came out in Country Living a month or so ago. And I noticed that other companies are jumping on the "Farmgirl" bandwagon so that will increase the interest in aprons too. Although we know who the original Farmgirl is and the others are just imitators!!! I was looking at vintage apron patterns on Ebay the other day and almost bid on a couple. Both were a size medium which is much smaller than today's medium. Then I thought why should I buy a vintage pattern and have to resize it when I can buy a new one that looks just the same in the size I want. Plus I'm not going to pay $10 or $15 for a vintage pattern when I can watch the sale at Joann's and get it for 99 cents!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  4:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls, Lynda your apron finds sound adorable...You can wear the red gingham to farm fair next summer... it's kind of like our "uniform"...different variations of red gingham...some bib, some half, old and new. Hey anything goes! I did notice that the old bib aprons seem to be smaller than they appear in the pics. Women were much smaller back in those days...a medium then is like a small now. They don't cover my ample bosom like they should, but oh well life in the fast farmgirl lane! I'm staying away from ebay now... DH saw some of the aprons I recently purchased and said why all the aprons, you can only wear one at a time? Some men just don't get it!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  5:32:02 PM  Show Profile
That is my husband's comment too..when I sew all these aprons. I love having a variety..and I just may get to the point of selling some at some point. I do have more patterns coming soon so I will want to play with those too, and got some fun ric rac in the mail today from my sis in law in Calif..vintage stuff that will be fun to use!! (price tags on them say 15cents!!) He thinks about 2 aprons is right. I don't think he has a clue how many I already HAD before I even started on this apron making spree! I never wear the old ones any more..but will when I shear the sheep and ugly stuff that may ruin my new ones.
Lynda..you exactly described MY red gingham apron. We will be twins! I intend to add a bib to mine (maybe) though. I only ever wear aprons that cover the top too..but isn't it cute?

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Aug 09 2005 9:09:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  5:50:07 PM  Show Profile
I found a red gingham half with cross stich on the hem at a farm auction. Got it for .75! I may bring it to Idaho next summer. It always makes me kind of sad to go to those farm auctions when the old couple that loved and worked that land and home for decades has now passed on... I treasure those finds because of that...

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  6:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Sounds cute, Jenny! I can't wait to see it!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page