Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  6:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Just finished the one I was making for my sis in law..who is "stout" like me. It is the 1941 pattern from Calico cat and I love it. I will be working on my own tonight. What pattern are you using Clare? I think that is so funny that your pattern said "flattering for stout women". Stout sounds like such a nicer word than plump, plus size, or just big. Stout sounds strong. I will take that one! Would love to see how yours turned out!! I need to iron and starch this one. Will take pics soon..

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  6:36:26 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Aunt Jenny... farm women in the 1940's were indeed stout alot of the times because they were workers, not just in the home, but out in the barns and fields too! I guess the exact quote is "slimming apron for stout women."

The pattern that is so nostalgic for me is one that reminds me of aprons that a couple of my Great Aunts wore. It is Mcall's # 1105. I searched high and low on Ebay before I finally nabbed a couple of them. It was easy to modify it to fit me, since I've only been able to get size small, and with the sizing back then, I have to 'upgrade', so to speak!! I do have several other 1940's vintage apron patterns that I like also, and will be making up some of those. too.

I'll look forward to your pics, and when I can, I'll post mine too. I'll probably have a few more done before I can do that though.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Jul 30 2005 6:38:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  8:11:49 PM  Show Profile
You girls make me feel lazy! I hit a jackpot today at our local thrift store. 4 vintage aprons! One is green,like the old kitchenware, trimmed with a darker green. It has a tulip shaped pocket. It has a narrow bib front that buttons in back and ties at the waste, $2.25.
One has purple and blue pansys for the main part with a white flounce, trimmed with light blue ric-rac (I love ric-rac). It has a white pocket with the same blue ric-rac (I love ric-rc). Ties at the waist. $ 1.50.
The other two are children's sizes. One is very simple of white cotton, trimmed with eyelet lace, $1.25. The other is faded red, brown and white stripe. It looks like it was left over fabric from homemade pajamas for grampa. It has a large piece of fabric sewn down the center to make two pockets. It ties at the waist, and is trimmed with the tiny ric-rac (did I mention I like ric-rac?). $1.25. I walked out feeling rather smug. The clerk said she likes to use them as hand towels in her kitchen. She ties them to the stove handle. I quess I need to check the thrift store for old apron patterns and get busy! Simply, Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  11:05:57 PM  Show Profile
They sounds adorable Julia!! I sort of like ric rac too...but didn't find the off white I was looking for today..so I guess the next couple I make will also be ric-rac-less.
Fun to find those bargains..isn't it??

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  08:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Jenny -- I have that pattern! Did you make your own bias tape for it? I found a couple of really cool vintage apron patterns on eBay that I'm watching. But I've noticed that the prices on the patterns are going up because people are getting hooked on aprons. So we better get them while we can!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  09:55:35 AM  Show Profile
No I didn't make my own bias tape..but jeesh..it is an expense and takes alot! I may start. I have done it before years ago. I would like to get the field apron pattern from Calico cat too..cute.
I should start getting more patterns too..you are right..other people are rediscovering aprons..not just us!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  2:54:29 PM  Show Profile
I remember having to make bias tape in home-ec, 30 years ago, but don't remember all the steps Someone have instructions out there that they can post or email me? I'm a thinking I need to learn again! Simply, Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  3:05:58 PM  Show Profile
I have instructions, Julia. Email me, then I can pdf it to you tomorrow.

I love to find vintage aprons at thrift stores too! I bought one last week just for the rickrack because it was not even cute!!! Poor thing!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Jul 31 2005 3:06:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  6:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Clare and all - I think Apron Fever has erupted! Do you think we got it from MJF and the crew and the planning of their next book/issue?

I long to walk on over to your houses and check out all the aprons you are making!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

FarmChickSerena
Farm Chick

45 Posts

Serena
WA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  6:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Pamela,
I definitely think it gave you the right to say you're a farm chick! :)
Serena

Serena
www.thefarmchicks.com
Live Well * Laugh Often * Junk Much
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  7:33:43 PM  Show Profile
JPbluesky, My apron fever erupted a couple years ago... right about the time my urge to sew again kicked in, and aprons felt like a good and fun way to use this energy. Aside from that, aprons are conveying their own energy these days, aren't they? It's a good thing!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  7:53:34 PM  Show Profile
I won the huge vintage tablecloth on Ebay! It is 52" by 152"! It has sections printed bordered in orange with a cute herb print. Almost appears to have been factory yardage for making dinner napkins. It is made of a heavy linen fabric and will do nicely for lots of aprons...or maybe if there is extra left over some napkins, or a valance...hey I am going nuts here!!!!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  7:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Clare - I make terry cloth aprons. Not so cute, but very practical for me, since I wipe my hands on mine all the time.

When you started this topic over a year ago, I remember thinking "wow, she is a really neat person....she is into vintage apron patterns!"

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  8:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Just bought another vintage apron pattern on Ebay..hooray! Can't wait to make some different ones! I love love love making these aprons.
I have always worn aprons from the time I was a teenager (back in the day) and mostly didn't have cute ones. Alot I made myself..butcher type plain ones from cute fabrics but not what I wanted. I am having so much fun with the vintage repro fabrics and 1940s look patterns...finally after ALL these years the aprons I was meant to wear...haha
My husband did ask me yesterday HOW MANY aprons I really need. I just smiled and kept sewing! I will have to have a garage sale to get rid of the plain old yucky ones!!!
The pattern I have been using comes with a child sized pattern too, so I plan to make my girls some aprons for extra Christmas or birhtday gifts,. They both have fall birthdays. OOOOH I have a niece turing 7 in October too!
It is so hot out in my sewing/laundry room tonight that I am going to do a little embroidery before bed I think and pick up with the sewing again tomorrow. OR>>>>maybe I will get out a big fan and go back to sewing. We will see.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  8:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Go, Jenny! Sounds like you need to send us all more pics when you take a break from sewing!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  8:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Clare, I tried to email you, but all I got was a red slash circle. What do I do now? Julia

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  9:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I will email you tomorrow and we'll pick it up from there.

JP, thank you for the nice compliment... we're all in good company here, aren't we?

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  10:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Clare was so kind to scan some instructions for making bias tape and put them in PDF format. Also, there are instructions in MJs book.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  10:46:37 PM  Show Profile
I went down into my storage room today and found the Flamingo apron I made last year. Over the last few years my hubby and I have made trips to Florida to see his parents. I did not care for the humidity of Florida, but loved the Flamingos! Anyway, since we have moved the inlaws here to Idaho I would venture to say the trips to Florida will end. But I still have my apron. I had put it in with my tropical decor...of which I have not brought out this summer with the exception of the bark cloth tropical pillows. I made the apron to fit my buxom form, but I am not sure it is the most flattering pattern for my shape. But wear it I will until I get some more made.

I am thinking I should get out the scores of linen table cloths I have in bins and make some of them into aprons. I could cut up the stained ones, cutting around the bad parts and using the rest of the table cloth. After all how many table cloths does one need? Most of them have embroidery of some kind on them. They should be cute.

Thanks to Jenny and Serena for confirming that I am indeed a farm chick/farm girl because of plucking them there chickens! But the closest I get to birds these days is my two parakeets, Restless (named after the dog on the Walton's) and Jesse(my grandson named him). Not sure if I will ever get to have my own chickens, but if I do they will be for layin' not for pluckin'!

I took a picture of my daughter in the flamingo apron, but cannot seem to load it here. I'll have to work on this.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice scream!"
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  05:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie, actually I've been collecting vintage aprons for at least 3 years now!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  05:32:36 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, congrats on the tablecloth!!! I went into eBay and tracked down the auction you were talking about so I could get a look at it, and it looks like it will be absolutely perfect for what you want!!! Great find!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  06:10:33 AM  Show Profile
Molly - I have a few aprons, too, about 15 in all I guess, that have come to me from various places over the last 20 years or so. I began to like them again in 1986 when I became chairwoman of a big crafts/arts fair that benefited the ballet company here in town. We had it on a farm, had about 72 artist participants, and we all wore aprons. I chose one that was a white bib apron, with Batternberg lace trimming and a pocket.

On the day of the fair, a very gracious southern lady said that I could turn my apron around now that we were unpacked and set-up. Then she complimented me on the idea of wearing it backwards to keep it clean while working before the fair. Hm....until that moment, I had not realized that I put it on wrong!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  08:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie, too cute you didn't realize that...I bet it was a beautiful apron, I just love Battenberg lace!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Molly! I was pleased with the price I got for so much vintage fabric. I don't have a dining table close to being that big so I thought it would be perfect for aprons. I am loving ebay TOO much!!! Cannot believe it took me so long to discover it...guess I am out in the sticks. I need to stop checking on the auctions...my budget will suffer.

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  7:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - this hot weather is going to scorch your credit card!!! :)
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page