Page: of 25

PhillyfarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Yael
Philadelphia PA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  7:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Send PhillyfarmGirl an AOL message
"If my apron is cotton, there is a towel hanging off my shoulder.
jpbluesky"

I am a tea towel wearer too!
Blessings,

Philly Farmgirl

~It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion;
It is easy in solitude to live after our own;
but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd
keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.~
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://homeschoolblogger.com/PhillyFarmGirl/
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  8:54:31 PM  Show Profile
i have a little different take on the aprons. i have hung them up in my kitchen as art. i have one large wall and swagged a regular cotton clothesline along the top. with vintage clothespins, i hung aprons (some fancy and some of my grandma's-more worn but well-loved)along it. i used three aprons as a half-curtain above my kitchen sink.

i love the way they look. i have them for different seasons so i change them out regularly. i like to imagine what woman might have worn that apron and how her life was then and might be today.

talk to you soon. karen

living' large in MO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  11:30:49 PM  Show Profile
wow..I bet that looks so cool!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  11:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Whew...just had a whirlwind time with my oldest daughter and her three sons (8, almost 3, and 14 months) being here (in No.Idaho)for two weeks, from Missouri. It wore me out, my kitchen floors were discusting, and the carpets need to be cleaned...but it is all worth it. I just love those grandbabies to pieces! They all cried that they had to go home. I spent much time in the kitchen, of course wearing my apron for making pancakes, making potato salad and other kitchen tasks. Then I actually ripped the front of it while picking up food off of the floor(my grandma's apron)...so out comes the sewing patch kit. The fabric is getting kinda worn, so I may have to retire it.

Anyway, has anyone seen the book called "Aprons?" It is so cute. I think I got mine at Hastings Book store in the discount area. Love that part of the store...I always seem to find crafting books there for such good prices. There are lots of cook books, too, but my interest in making things. So if you live near a Hastings..check out the discount area!

I have several of my grandmothers aprons. She was smaller than me, but I can 'kinda' fit them. I just have them happen-stance around my kitchen and dining area. Looks like lots of cookin' might be going on in there...even though cooking is not really my forte.

My solution to the fact that grandma's aprons don't fit that well was to make my own. I bought a pattern of a vintage styled apron at a quilt store(paid like $8.00 for it)...then I got smart and went to look at the patterns at the fabric store. I think it was Hancock's, but Joanne's would be the same. I believe several of the main pattern companies...McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity...had vintage style patterns. So I waited until they had a $.99 sale and bought all I wanted. I could not pass up that deal. Now I have about 10 different patterns. The great thing is that in each pattern package there are actually several different styles to choose from. If you use vintage styled fabric...wala...you have a grandma apron.

One of my aprons is out of flamingo fabric...it is so fun to wear!

My collection of vintage aprons grows a little every summer as I yard sale every weekend and find them at a great price. I cannot resist them even if they are badly stained with grease or whatever.

I recently put together a project for my Bunco group. I followed an idea in Mary Englebriet's Home Companion from February 2004, I think it was. I made cookbooks from cardstock covered with vintage styled papers. Each Bunco lady was to bring me a favorite recipe of their mothers, along with a photo of their mom from the old days and a photos of themselves at age 5-10 years of age. I made copies for each person, typed up the recipes, and had the books put together by my local UPS store. They have a clear plastic front and back cover to protect from spills and splatters. I actually sat and cut out tons of little pictures from my Gooseberry catalog to decorate the pages with. Gooseberry has lots of vintage styled items for sale and they had drawings of them in their catalog. I saved those catalogs for a reason...even though I did not know why for a long time. But they came in handy for the recipe books. The cutouts look great on the pages of the Bunco Babe recipe books. The night we put the pictures and recipes in the books I had asked my Bunco friends to wear their mother's apron if they had it. Or I had lots to lend out, so we all wore vintage aprons. The recipe books had an apron theme with the front cover having a large apron covering the page. Inside of the front cover of my book I put a black and white picture of my mother, my aunt, and grandmother as they were in the kitchen, wearing their aprons, preparing a meal back in the 1950's. It is sooo nostalgic and fun! Every Bunco Babe got to take their own book home...even though we did not actually get them all decorated that night. They had to finish them at home. Mine graces an old hutch in my kitchen. It is a fun momento of my Bunco group that has been together for ten years.

I recently got my kit to have a MaryJaneFarm Chapter. I think it would be fitting that for our first meeting/project we will make an apron. Perhaps the Harvest apron. I would like to add pockets so we can use them to pick tomatoes, hold a tissue or treasures. I think September is a good month to start.

Thanks for letting me share about aprons.

Just for general knowledge...I have an ice cream truck business...thus the saying behind my name...'I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.' I sell Blue Bunny products. My grandsons had a great time choosing ice cream from grandma's ice cream truck everyday while they were here. Too fun! I got some fun pictures, another hobby of mine.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice scream!"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  11:57:34 PM  Show Profile
Pamela -- Welcome!!! Blue Bunny is my absolute favorite ice cream -- especially Bunny Tracks. I had never had it before and when I went home to IL to visit my sister-in-law served Bunny Tracks. So I came back home to WA and called all over to see if anyone had it. No luck. I ended up calling the company in IA and they sent me a coupon to use if it ever became available in my state. I was so bummed. Well about 4 months later the Super Wal-Mart opened and I went on grand opening day. They had vendors there passing out samples. When I went around the corner and ran into the Blue Bunny guy I almost gave him a hug. I started babbling my store about the ice cream and he just looked at me like I was a nut!!!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile
I love making my own bias tape. I got a little metal thingy that actually folds the bias cut fabric for me and keeps my fingers out of the way of the iron so I do not get the steam burns I was getting. It works really well.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

PhillyfarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Yael
Philadelphia PA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  5:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Send PhillyfarmGirl an AOL message
Greetings everyone!

This is an abbreviated excerpt about aprons from my blog I thought I would share with the rest of my farmgirl family.

As I explore the lost art of homemaking and endeavor to become a skilled homemaker, I think of the beauty of our 'uniform', the apron. Who does not feel like an excellent homemaker when they don their apron? There is something almost magical about tyeing apron strings! I immediately have the desire to conquer the world! Well, at least my dishes.
Think of all thier uses. They help keep our clothing tidy and dry. I for one admit I am guilty of wiping my wet hands on my skirt when I cannot find a tea towel. What about wiping milk covered mouths? Again I have not been above using my skirt. ::::blushes::: How about carrying toys or eggs from the hen house? (I miss my chickens). Aprons reflect our individual personalities. Are you a smock wearer? Pratical and to the point. Are you a half apron wearer, full of ruffles but sensible at the same time. Or are you a pinafore girl, making sure all your bases are covered. Maybe you use all of these styles.
Do you have everyday aprons and fancy lacy ones for company? Remember the lovely but very impractical aprons of yesteryear. They hardly had any material to them, made mostly of guaze, lace, and frill, but oh they were the height of feminine hostessing. Someone mentioned maybe we could bring them back into 'fashion'. Think of it ladies, a homemaking revolution!
Blessings,

Philly Farmgirl

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  5:32:07 PM  Show Profile
That is lovely Yael! Thank you for sharing with us!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  9:54:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi! After some computer glitches, I get to chat again. SO......
I am in the process of starting a Farmgirl chapter in the fall, using it as part of the home school curriculm for my daughter, Emily. We will start with an apron. I'm thinking about making it a friendship apron, getting swatches of fabric from family and friends. It might end up being a bit of a "crazy quilt" type, but should be fun. Anyone else tried that before? Simply, Julia

For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise. Celia Thaxter

The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children. G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

PhillyfarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Yael
Philadelphia PA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  03:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Send PhillyfarmGirl an AOL message
HI there Julia, I think that is a lovely idea! I have never done anything like that, but I do not see why it wouldn't work.
Have fun!
Blessings,

Philly Farmgirl

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  08:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Philly Farmgirl,
That is a beautiful way to decribe how we feel when wearing an apron. It's exactly how I felt yesterday when I was able to go home from work early. My kitchen needed some attention as well as a few other (hundred) things. I wasn't sure where to start, so I picked out an apron and the "magic" kicked in. My kitchen is completely clean, the tomatoes got picked, part of the basement cleaned, coffee made for my dad, laudry sorted and a few other things.

And it's true, you do feel like it's a "uniform" but, yet it's not, it's who you are. Thanks so much for putting into words what I (and probably many others) feel. You certainly have a gift for putting into words indescribable feelings, that would otherwise be lost within ourselves. I speak mostly for myself in that regard. Thanks again for sharing.

I had no idea the power of the apron among so many women - it's absolutely amazing and I'm loving it!

Blessings to you all!

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.

Edited by - FarrarFarmgirl on Jul 28 2005 08:33:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:23:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Lynda, there is something about putting on an apron that puts the world of homemaking into perspective. I hadn't worn my apron in a long time, I think is was last summer during canning. I pulled it out and it put a smile on my face. My mom made it for me for Chrisrtmas one year from a wheat germ sack from Pendlton, Or. It is butcher syle and well used. In a world were so much of our femininity is being taken away, well, this is one way we can fight back.

For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise. Celia Thaxter

The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children. G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  2:10:37 PM  Show Profile
I will try again to post. I typed out two post and they are now in Internet outerspace somewhere. I got kicked off line once and then went to preview my post and lost the connection.
Anyway, I like the idea of using scraps to make aprons. I was fortunate to get a box of vintage scraps from both of my grandmother's after they passed away. They made most of their own and their children's clothing back in the 1920's, 30's and 40's. So there were lots of scraps. They also both quilted...with most of their scraps going into the quilts over the years. My mom's mother, Verla, made hundred's of quilts for missionaries all over the world. She left a very special legacy. Well, I have washed all of the scraps and ironed some of them, but have a ways to go. Using my grandmother's scraps to make aprons is such a sweet idea. I can think of them when I wear the apron of their scraps.

I was thinking how neat it would be to have family members bring their scraps to a family reunion and each person could make an apron to take home with them as a momento.

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  2:28:52 PM  Show Profile
I got the 1941 Apron pattern I ordered from Calico Cat in the mail today..can't wait to make myself one..I know exactly what fabric to use...a reproduction 1930s print that I had to be the owner of...need to get some bias tape and I will be good to go!!!
I love that the pattern comes with a child and doll size apron pattern too~~ fun for Christmas ideas!!! I got the 1941 since it has plus sizes. The regular ones always have a bib a little small for me up top..this should be perfect!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  2:59:09 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, Sounds so cute!!! Post pics when you are finished , would love to see your new creation!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  4:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Sure will..just talked to my sister in law in Calif and will make her one too. I hope to get going on it tonight!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  5:36:59 PM  Show Profile
Pamela, how wonderful to have such a treasure of your grandmother's!

How's this for using vintage apron's. I have a small collection of vintage aprons. I have always dreamed of having a big kitchen window high enough to use the aprons as a valance. We just bought our first house in Dec of 04. Last night I looked at my kitchen/dining room window and said, "Blah!" To make a long story short....I pinned two aprons, the hostess type, over the lace panel. It adds color and a bit more privacy ( we live on a fairly busy street). Then I needed a valance, so I took some of my collection of vintage crocheted potholders and tacked them up as a valance. May sound a bit quirky, put it looks cute, I think. :) Simply, Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  7:21:17 PM  Show Profile
I love to see people use their old stuff. I have enamelware tea and coffee pots on my stove and use them all the time. I learned this from a friend about 15 years ago. I used to just let the old stuff sit around to decorate with, but then I went to her house for coffee on morning. She made coffee using an old aluminum coffee pot on her stove. We watched the coffee perkolate and then had the coffee. She said she always uses her old stuff everyday. So I decided I would do the same and have been every since.
Anyway one can utilize those aprons or linens is a happy thing to do!
Keep up the good work!
Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  7:34:50 PM  Show Profile
I love to use all my old stuff...and people always act shocked...heck...I have a grandma (not the one I was so close with..the other one) who saved everything "for good". When she died my mom (who had taken care of her the last 9 years of her life) found boxes and drawers full of new underwear in the package...new aprons and nightgowns that I had made her for gifts, new sweaters never worn and doilies and embroidered things that her sisters had made for her..all being saved for good. I figure good is now. My family is worth good..and old stuff is good.
I love the idea of the apron curtain..wish I had a bigger window in my kitchen..I have three small pull in windows..which I love..but can only put a valance over the top of them. I used to have a vintage potholder valance years ago in a house I lived in...loved that! I will have to think of something special for my valance here..right now it is a plain John Deere plaid..to match my decor in there.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  8:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have a cute apron idea to share:

I have inherited a few of my grandmothers aprons, and I treasure them, but she was tiny and I am not. My girls wore them when they were little, so now they are pretty threadbare. So I am going to make some applique patterns that look like miniature aprons, and using the non threadbare parts, make a small quilt!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  1:11:38 PM  Show Profile
What a good Idea! Make them last as long as possible! Thifty and clever are wonderful things!

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  2:04:05 PM  Show Profile
I went a little crazy buying fabric for aprons today....couldn't resist..I never can just make one of anything..so I will be making alot of aprons I guess this next week. I have 3 cut out and ready to go that I cut out last night while watching a video movie..and got all the bias tape to do them today..will be sewing tonight and more cutting out with the new fabrics..all in the washer now so they will be ready when I need them tonight. I got all the different 40's reproduction fabrics they had in the store I went to....4 different ones and smaller amounts to make one with a panel or peice in each of the different prints...I bet that will be my favorites. I may have some extra ones to sell when I get done. These will all be plus size aprons...I am having such fun!! I am going to make little dishsoap bottle aprons with the scraps!!! You may just see them get listed on the marketplace area..they will be fun and easy to mail for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  2:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, you do what I do, I cannot make just one of anything. I am glad you are making them plus size.
I picked up an apron at a yard sale today. It is not vintage, but the fabric is a durable...almost a canvas type. It has old advertisements on it, such as Aunt Gimima (spelled just that way), Victor (with the Victrola and the dog), Mr. Nut (the peanut with the top hat and cane), Quaker Oats guy, Cracker Jacks, Buster Brown, and more. It has pink bias tape trim with one large pocket in the front. I tried it on, but it was snug, so it may be a child's. Or my plus sized body may just be too big for it. So I will keep it around for grandchildren to use or for a slimmer person. Anyway, just one more fun one for my collection.
I also got a great old wire milk carrier with handle today. I paid $8.00 for it, which I usually don't go that high for something like that, but I liked it so now I won't be kicking myself for not getting it later. I do this all the time. Do you all walk away from something then regret it?

I got two old tv trays yesterday. I had been looking for some. I like the studiness of the wood ones that come in a carrier as a set of four, but they do not fit in with the wood furniture in my house. I have mostly oak and some pine with a walnut stain throughout my home. So those new tv tray sets are usually not stained and look too modern for my house. I also got some vintage linens, some old books, two pairs of ice skates to decorate my porch this winter and other odd old junk.
The Hallmark channel is runing old western movies today. They are fun and I love looking at the ladies clothes and what they have in their homes. I do know how our ancestors ever iron those dresses, it must have taken hours. I know they almost always had mud caked on the bottom of the back of their skirts. I am sure aprons were really life savers back in the old days. I know how messy I get in the kitchen, I can't imagine having to wear the same dress for days...as they did. Milking the cow, beheading and plucking the chicken for dinner, carrying water from the creek to water the garden and animals, plus baby drool and poop.
I remember one time my first husband brought home some chickens he had beheaded for me to pluck. First of all I am pretty much a vegetarian, but then to have to get all of those feathers out and then cook and eat them. It was an experience I will never forget. Kinda off the subject of aprons...but something I had to share. Hope this is okay. As for being a farm girl, I'll stick to sewing and gardening. But I think that experience gave me the right to say I am a farm chick! Don't you think?

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  3:56:21 PM  Show Profile
yep...if you have ever plucked a hen..you must be a farmgirl..haha

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  4:19:52 PM  Show Profile
I finished the apron that I'd started this week this afternoon. And I was blessed...it took two packages of bias tape, exactly, down to the 1/4 inch!!!!!! (Incentive to get busy and make some of my own bias tape, I'm sure.) This pattern is labeled as "flattering for stout women", and I agree, it looks pretty darn good! I think I'll get busy and make some more from this pattern soon! I need to get a digital camera. Picture sharing would be soo much easier that way.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Jul 30 2005 4:20:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page