Page: of 25

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Julia
Reedsport OR
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  9:44:03 PM  Show Profile
I homeschool my daughter, and one of this falls home-ec assignments will be an apron. I have never been much of an apron wearer, but I think that is about to change!

Julia

"Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come togethter to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  10:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julia, I love your quote! I homeschool my 5 boys, have you checked out our homeschool area in the "Family Matters" forum?? Looking forward to seeing more of you on here!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  10:20:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Meadowlark, that has been my experience too. Who knows the rhyme or reason behind it. Always happens within the last hour or so of the listing too. I do know that you can ask for things that are ending first in your searches. Many people will bid with 3 mins. left to go and outbid you.

I've become more philosophical about it. I figure if I'm meant to have it, the prices won't get ridiculous. My philosophy is the same with yard sales... whatever I'm meant to have will be there when I get there.... no need to rush around!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Julia
Reedsport OR
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  9:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Molly, Thanks for the welcome! 5 boys! I have 3 girls. Our oldest,Hannah is married and lives in Wa state. OUr middle girls, Grace is 21, living at home and works as a hair stylist. OUr youngest is 13 and obviously the only one still schooling. I definitely will check our the homeschool forum. See you there!

"Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come togethter to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  07:27:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julia again, 3 girls would be fun, I so long for a girl!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:21:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Celticheart

I love vintage aprons and own several. My favorite is one that belonged to my great grandma. It's a 30's style that covers the front of me which I need. I'm very messy when I cook. And when I eat but that's another story. I have a few vintage patterns that I haven't made up yet but one pattern I have made several times is the 1940's apron. They seem to sell well at the quilt shop where I work on Wednesdays.

Check out this website for apron patterns. This is where I got mine :)
(http://www.thecalicocat.com/patterns-apron.htm)
It's a quilt shop in Auburn, WA.

Happy sewing(or aproning),
Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about that, Marcia, I goofed the first time - I've never posted with a quote wasn't quite sure what to do.

I looked at the website you listed for the aprons, those are exactly what I am looking for and there was a pattern in there for the exact kind of apron my great-grandmother wore all the time. I can't wait to order it so I can have one to wear and hang that is just like hers. Thanks so much for sharing that information. I am excited about getting back to the machine and stitching along. I think I could sit and sew all day long. I'm not very knowledgeable about doing big projects or fancy work, but I love making what I make. This is going to be so much more fun than I even thought!
Blessings to you all!

Lynda

quote:
Originally posted by Celticheart

I love vintage aprons and own several. My favorite is one that belonged to my great grandma. It's a 30's style that covers the front of me which I need. I'm very messy when I cook. And when I eat but that's another story. I have a few vintage patterns that I haven't made up yet but one pattern I have made several times is the 1940's apron. They seem to sell well at the quilt shop where I work on Wednesdays.

Check out this website for apron patterns. This is where I got mine :)
(http://www.thecalicocat.com/patterns-apron.htm)
It's a quilt shop in Auburn, WA.

Happy sewing(or aproning),
Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  1:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Jenny,
Thank you for your kind, sweet words. I could just give you a hug right now! Where in KS? Our daughter lives in Manhattan while attending K-State, we will be coming out there this fall.

I have been out of town and am trying to catch up on what everyone is saying and sharing. So I apologize for not responding any sooner. Wow, what an impact you have all had on me in such a short time, I really missed not being able to check in each day. This is getting better and better every day we visit. Thanks to all of you for your ideas, enthusiasm, stories, wonderful encouragements and heart-felt greetings.

I must admit, I haven't sat at my machine for quite a few months. Sometimes (quite the understatement) the room I have designated as my sewing room also gets used as a storage room. You know that room - the one you go to when you have no where else to go with stuff, it goes in "there."

The truth be told, about 3 years ago I worked at a fabric store and most of what's in that room are my paychecks. :o) The joke at the store was that we never got paid for working, but they would give us a spending allowance. I'm sure I didn't make any money, however being there is also how I was inspired to start sewing again. You can't help but want to make things as you see person after person come through the cutting line and tell you what they are doing. You get so many good ideas. And you can't help but think, "I can do that, that doesn't sound too hard." And so....you shop for fabric and then....you eventually have your own mini store in your home. My husband just rolls his eyes. At least when I was working there I received a discount - not any longer....I'm still sewing....still need fabric - you get the picture. "But I only buy what's on sale..."

I keep much of my fabric in plastic tubs and two of them are designated specifically for apron material all matched together already. I hope you all have as much fun when making your aprons - it certainly sounds like it. And then there's the tub with just Christmas fabric, fleece, PJ flannel, etc., etc.

You have inspired me to get those tubs of "extra sale fabric" out of the way and take the cover back off of my machine so I can make some more aprons.

Of course, I've also started trying my hand at quilts, which I enjoy doing. Let me explain, I don't hand quilt them I make patchwork tie quilts. A lady at church hosts a small bible study quilting group every Friday and I attended those for a short while to learn how to hand stitch. It was okay, but my corporal tunnel won't let me do that too long, so I will continue playing with the squares and tying.

Well, here I've rambled on again. You'd think I don't have anyone here to talk with - at least not about aprons and sewing and canning and homemaking and gardening and.... You all are the best for being so patient with me. I look forward to all your good ideas for more inspirations. God's blessings shower you all day long.

In His hands,
Lynda

PS I forgot who had the link with the story about Grandma's apron, but I absolutely love it! I am going to copy it and give it to my MIL as a framed gift. She's had such a hard life that I hope it will help her see just how valuable she is to us and how comforting it is to see her still wearing her apron. She's just not Helen or Grandma without the apron. I can only hope to carry on such an image to my grandchildren.

quote:
Originally posted by MeadowLark

Hi and welcome Lynda!I have read several of your posts and just had to comment...really conveys what is in your "farmgirl heart"!...Yes, we are all apron addicts here!... Aprons have such a rich feminine history! I am so glad you have found this forum... You will love it! Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  1:46:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lynda!! Oh my gosh, it is such a small world! I live in Salina, about an hour west of Manhattan on I-70! My daughter lives in Manhattan too and is a senior at KSU!!! I am a '79 grad of K-State. Hubby attended there for a while but graduated elsewhere! What does your daughter study? This is so cool! I LOVE Manhattan! It is a great town and so pretty nestled in those flint hills! Sounds like you are a fabric addict! I can relate to that! I collect table linens, and now have started getting a few on ebay, along with some aprons. I need to sit down and sew some up. My youngest would like a new one, the oldest wants no part of my apron thing... Too bad, but at 22 yrs she has other interests. I love it that you are giving your MIL a framed copy of that apron story! That is so sweet... and will no doubt mean the world to her! I am sure you will always be an inspiration to your grandchildren! I am rambling on and on and I need to get off and do some laundry to dry in this hot blasted Kansas wind! Bless You! Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  7:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Lynda,
Good luck with your apron or aprons. I also bought the pattern I have to make one to replace my Great Grandma's apron so I could hang hers and not wear it out. I do still wear it occasionally I confess. I wore it when I made the shortcakes for the strawberry shortcake for my DD's wedding reception 2 weeks ago(that's what they had instead of wedding cake).

I also work in a quilt shop one day a week. We work for fabric and my sewing room is starting to look like a quilt shop so I know what you mean. I haven't had much time to quilt this summer but I'll get back to it soon.

Happy sewing,

Marcia

Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  8:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
We recently relocated, and in this waiting time before our next Home is found, We have alot still in storage, One of the things I miss the most is my apron, I found that My daughter misses hers too, she asked for it when she offered to help in the kitchen. That night a dear friend, out of the blue, gave us a little girls apron she bought from ebay! My little one is so happy! There is something wonderful about baking cookies from scratch with a little red head in an apron! Tami

livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  9:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have a great idea for those who love an apron AND a towel... sew buttons across the waistband of your aprons,and sewn corresponding buttons holes in small bath towel. You can then button a towel across the midsection, and when it is dirty, whip it right off. Keeps the darling vintage looking apron clean and gives us hand wipers room to dry.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  10:28:29 PM  Show Profile
great idea about the towell...I like that!!
I will have to order the field apron and 1940's apron patterns from the calico cat site..thanks for that one!!
Off to milk my goat (in my apron of course!!!)

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  06:30:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tami!!!!! I'm glad you finally had a chance to post!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  07:26:05 AM  Show Profile
Wanted to chime in with my two-cents worth. I have made my own bias binding for use on the patchwork tie quilts I like to make. IMO the plain bias trim looks best for that type. I'm open to other ides, though. And when making aprons, I agree, the bias trim is what runs up the cost of making something so simple. I don't know if it would work on the type of apron you are making or not, but I have also in place of bias trim, zig-zagged around the edges of the apron once it's turned right side out.

MJ's book would be the place to look for help, as I've been reading through the book, it seems she relys on experts in specific areas to give us the best advice.

Before I ever knew there was someone like Mary Jane, my mother showed me how and it works really great and it's much easier than I ever would have thought. I remember it being time consuming because of all the ironing, but you have tons more variety when you make your own since you can make it out of any fabric you choose and whatever width you need. It's very gratifying knowing that you truly made the whole item, including the trim!

I wish you good luck in making your bias trim and know that you will be pleased with the outcome simply because you made it.

Have a wonderfully blessed day. I pray everyone will be safe with the heat conditions so intense, it seems most everyone is effected by it.

In His hands,
Lynda

[/quote]Do any of you all make your own bias tape or binding? Most of the apron patterns I have call for it and it is so expensive to buy. Anyone have an easy way to make it? Some of the methods that I've seen waste so much fabric.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  07:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Diane and Holly - that is a fantastic idea. I was trying to think of a way to incorporate something similar into the seam and make it permanent, but I truly like your idea better. One more thing to coordinate with the fabric - I just love it! Thanks for sharing, you are a genious.

Blessings on your day!
Lynda
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  08:09:35 AM  Show Profile
HI, Jenny,
You are so right, it is a small world. I was hoping you wouldn't be too far away, it would be so awesome to get together when we come to Manhattan. I'm so excited! My husband and daughter are not going to believe this. I can't wait to tell them. Whoo-hoo!!

Our daughter actually started going there for architecture, which we were told that EVERYONE who attends from MO, specifically St. Louis, comes to pursue that field. She really enjoyed her classes and is quite talented in the area, but she was not at peace. It was becoming harder and harder for her to do. Her heart was more into ministry related areas, so two summers ago - I think - she came home and announced that she was changing her major (after 4 years into a 5 year program). She said she is switching to family studies so that she can get a degree, graduate and then go to ANOTHER college.

We are Lutheran and she wants to be a DCE (Director of Christian Education). The LCMS has 10 Universities in the Concordia system, so she would attend one of them to get the rest of her degree to allow her to serve in a ministry position for a church. As a DCE she would work mostly with youth, Sunday school classes, offer Bible study opportunities and such. However, now she is gravitating towards outreach ministry which would be more in the line of evangelism and missionary type work. She has always been involved in both areas to some degree and is really much more gifted in that than architecture, so I know God has a plan for her to use all of her gifts however and wherever He needs her most.

She is also our "family cook," despite the fact that our youngest son attended a culinary school and is a chef. She LOVES, loves to cook, so when we get together most of our time is spent in the kitchen. I'm not so sure she is as fond of aprons as I am, but she enjoys knowing that my heart is in the simpler way of living. And as she gets older, I'm seeing her curiosity grow, too. Kind of nice when that happens, isn't it?

How about your daughter? What degree is she pursuing? Does she live on or off campus? Or does she commute? Will she graduate this coming school year? This is just incredible that both our daughters are attending the same school. I know it is a huge school, but what are the chances that they know each other!!! I also have a high school friend who lives in Salina and works part-time at KSU. I don't know how big Salina is, but you never know - her name is Barb Johnson (actually she's married, but still goes by Johnson which is her maiden name.) I'm sorry, I don't know her husband's name.

You have made my day and given me a smile. I'm so glad we have connected and have even more in common. Have a blessed day.

In His hands,
Lynda
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  1:32:09 PM  Show Profile
I love the aprons that have towel buttons! That is an idea that started in the 70's. I cannot wear an apron if it will not allow me to wipe my hands on it! That is why I love terry cloth aprons. If my apron is cotton, there is a towel hanging off my shoulder.
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  03:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Jo Ann Fabrics sells a small tool that takes all the work out of making your own binding tape. You just cut the long strips and thread them thru this little metal gizmo, and they come out folded and ready to iron flat. Hope thi s hel;ps the apron makers and quilt binders!
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  06:57:30 AM  Show Profile
AS many times as I have been to JoAnns (that's the fabric store I worked at) I have never even thought to inquire about such a tool. I don't guess I even thought about there being something out there that would be so handy. You can bet the next time I go there, I will be looking for it - not that I need a reason to go to the store, but this helps. The other nice thing is (depends on whose you're talking to, me or my husband) that we live within walking distance to JoAnns. Thanks for the info! Have a blessed day!

In His hands,
Lynda
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  07:28:44 AM  Show Profile
Lynda, If I lived within walking of Joanns we would probably have to add a room onto the house for the fabric I'd be buying! Before we moved out here I lived about 5 minutes away by car. The girls there got to know me real well! Now that we're farther out of town I've only gone there a couple of times! I think it might be time for a visit this weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  08:32:22 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by FarrarFarmgirl
I don't know if it would work on the type of apron you are making or not, but I have also in place of bias trim, zig-zagged around the edges of the apron once it's turned right side out.

I actually did make the 1940's apron with a variation of this technique. I used several different 30's and 40's reproduction fabrics(to use them up) and I turned the edges under twice(but even once would work), then used several of the decorative stitches on my machine. When I say decorative stitches, I only have a fairly plain jane machine not a fancy embroidery machine at all. It turned out very cute and was actually the first apron to sell.

About the bias tape maker---I have one and tried to use it but didn't like the way it stretched the fabric. I can make it faster just doing it my own way.

Marcia

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  10:26:52 AM  Show Profile
I think I'm going to try the 1940s pattern without all the bias tape -- maybe only around the neck and the pockets. It is very time consuming to do the bias tape, although it does add charm.

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  6:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Kay,

I need to clarify an earlier statement. Just because I live within walking distance doesn't mean I do because I buy way too much to want to carry it home. LOL I walked there once when I was working just to see how long it would take - about 10 minutes - great idea to kill two birds with one stone; get to work and exercise. I wasn't thinking too well, though, because that meant I had to walk back in the dark. Ugh.

We have practically added a room to our house just for fabric. The front room with the fireplace has been converted to my "fabric store"/sewing room. It's nice on the weekends in the fall/winter, I get a fire going and work away on sewing projects. But the sacrifice is when we have company, less room for everyone to sit. And it's the room that the front door opens into, so usually what I hear is, "Oh my, you have a lot of fabric,"(usually with raised eyebrows) or "when does your store open?" I don't care though, they know at some point in time they are going to benefit from it all with something homemade. And guess who they come to when they need some fabric or someothing made....yep, you guessed it. It's all good.

There are more useless things I could collect besides fabric, so it's easily justified. It's been good chatting with you, have a blessed evening.

In His hands,
Lynda
quote:
Originally posted by therusticcottage

Lynda, If I lived within walking of Joanns we would probably have to add a room onto the house for the fabric I'd be buying! Before we moved out here I lived about 5 minutes away by car. The girls there got to know me real well! Now that we're farther out of town I've only gone there a couple of times! I think it might be time for a visit this weekend.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

PhillyfarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Yael
Philadelphia PA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  7:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Send PhillyfarmGirl an AOL message
I am not sure if anyone else posted this but Tasha Tudor is a strong proponent of apron usage. °Ü° In my home we fight over aprons, as all three of us girls use them. The girls seem to always beat me to the best ones LOL!
Blessings,

Philly Farmgirl

~It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion;
It is easy in solitude to live after our own;
but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd
keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.~
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://homeschoolblogger.com/PhillyFarmGirl/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic