Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic
Page: of 25

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  1:04:32 PM  Show Profile
I was on ebay last night in the wee hours looking at the aprons... An old vintage red gingham checked one with embroidery leaped out at me. I am thinking about putting a bid on it, but have never bought from ebay before. The apron is from Scotland. Has anyone dealt with ebay internationally? Any tips?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

Edited by - MeadowLark on Jul 13 2005 1:05:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  1:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Beware of shipping costs and customs charges, Meadowlark! I personally would not bid on it. Find something appealing in the US.
(Too bad, isn't it?!)

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  4:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Will do Clare! There was an apron from Washington similar to the one from Scotland! Thanks.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  5:44:57 PM  Show Profile
I have been hit with the high shipping and exchange rate and stuff..bought a book from England...bid on it late at night and silly me didn't read closely enough to see that it wasn't from the US.It cost a whole lot more than it should of when all is said and done. You live and learn. Good luck on the Washington one!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  6:58:41 PM  Show Profile
I love eBay, but rarely bid on anything outside of the US! I've bid on a couple of things from the UK, but things I just HAD to have (hmmm...wouldn't that pretty much be everything??) . Good luck on the apron, Jenny!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  8:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Just put my first bid on ebay on a cute bib red gingham apron. This one is from Connecticut... This is so exciting!

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  08:40:02 AM  Show Profile
I've gotten most of my vintage aprons from eBay, you can find them so inexpensively on there!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  09:42:33 AM  Show Profile
I have found my place on MJF forums. I love aprons! I remember my great-grandmother, who lived with us, ALWAYS had an apron on, as does my MIL - ALWAYS. I have been making them for the past two years and have sold a few at just a couple of craft fairs (thought I'd try that route - not the right audience though). The apron I enjoy making is the butcher style apron with pockets, however I dress them up by using quilting fabric and making them reversible. I enjoy coordinating and matching fabrics. I look for vitage styled prints, as they bring back many memories of the kinds of fabrics my grandmothers used to have.

For some of the aprons, I have also made a matching child-sized apron. Those have gotten the best response, because even if the moms don't wear them, they think they are cute for the kids.

I would like to branch out and find more vintage apron patterns. I am glad to see that many of you are making them to sell. I always wondered how that would work. Even though I've sold some, I have not really promoted them. I'm not sure how to go about it. Have any of you sold any on Ebay? Have you had any success with that? Is it better to go through craft fairs? What has worked for those of you who have them as part of your business?

Personally, I wear aprons alot. I do at home and that's probably one of the reasons I enjoy being a Pampered Chef consultant - because I have to wear an apron and I wear my own, too! :o) It's great, I can cook for others, wear an apron, meet new friends and make money having fun. It's so comfortable, that many times I forget I have it on, until someone makes a comment on it when I've gone into a store on the way home. (Ooops!)

Aprons seem to put you into a different frame of mind. When you wear one, at least for me, I feel so much more like a homemaker, like I'm ready to do the work that I enjoy. I'm not good at putting into words what's in my heart, so I'm not sure that I can convey very accurately how wearing an apron makes me feel. It's a wholesome feeling, it heartwarming, I feel like whatever I do is truly for the sake of my family and home. It gives me an identity that lets other know where my heart is - in the home. I could ramble on here for hours trying to find the right way to describe the joy of wearing an apron. I can only hope that being in the company of so many like-minded and heart-felt women that you know what I mean and can read between the lines to know what I am trying to say.

I'm so glad to have found this forum. You all have just made my day. Blessings to you all!

In His hands,
Lynda
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  10:39:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi and welcome Lynda!I have read several of your posts and just had to comment how endearing and enthusiastic I found them...and you! Your writing is wonderful...and really conveys what is in your "farmgirl heart"! Your aprons sound beautiful! Yes, we are all apron addicts here! I have a few, but I am really getting started in my interest in sewing a few, and finding some vintage ones. Some of the members here have crafted some lovely aprons (check out Clare's pics, they are marvelous!) Aprons have such a rich feminine history! I am so glad you have found this forum... You will love it! Jenny from Kansas

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  3:03:41 PM  Show Profile
I love vintage aprons and own several. My favorite is one that belonged to my great grandma. It's a 30's style that covers the front of me which I need. I'm very messy when I cook. And when I eat but that's another story. I have a few vintage patterns that I haven't made up yet but one pattern I have made several times is the 1940's apron. They seem to sell well at the quilt shop where I work on Wednesdays.

Check out this website for apron patterns. This is where I got mine :)
(http://www.thecalicocat.com/patterns-apron.htm)
It's a quilt shop in Auburn, WA.

Happy sewing(or aproning),
Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  3:05:20 PM  Show Profile
P.S. They had most of these made up the last time I was at their shop. All of them are very cute.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  6:13:11 PM  Show Profile
I have the pattern for the 1940's apron. I was digging in my fabric stash today and found some vintage cotton that I had purchased a while ago. It has tiny blue roses on it -- I'm making myself a new apron this weekend!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  6:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kay, The apron sounds lovely! Please post pics when you are finished!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  6:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- I will certainly post pics. I have one that I made for myself but I need another (or more). I didn't want to make more in case I ended up only wearing it once in a while like the others that I've had. But now that I've gotten used to wearing one I'm lost without it.

Do any of you all make your own bias tape or binding? Most of the apron patterns I have call for it and it is so expensive to buy. Anyone have an easy way to make it? Some of the methods that I've seen waste so much fabric.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  2:11:23 PM  Show Profile
Kay, check out page 218 of MJ's book. There is a diagram for layout and easy instructions on making one's own bias tape. I agree, it is very expensive to purchase. I'm going to give this a try too.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

The Farmers Daughter
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Sherry
LeRoy Kansas
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  3:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Love your idea Clare! I have lots of vintage ones in my shop but to me they are more for "show" than actual wearing. However, I do love to wear an apron when cooking...Course if you could see how messy I get you would know why! Bet I'm the only person you know who bakes bread and gets more flour on themselves than in the bread dough! HA Have you ever thought of making the LONG aprons from Civil war reproduction fabrics that are so popular now? THey look wonderful hanging from a peg with an old sun bonnet!

Sher, The Farmer's Daughter
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  4:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare. I'll check it out.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  4:48:23 PM  Show Profile
I've worn an apron more these last few days than I have in a while because my grandkids have been visiting. I'll paint this picture, it is self explanatory: 10 month old grandson is a messy, messy eater... more food lands on the tray or the floor than in his mouth, or at least all over his face! Too cute, actually! But apron armour is a good bet!

Edited by - Clare on Jul 16 2005 4:49:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  9:13:21 PM  Show Profile
I just won my first bid on ebay for an apron! I am so excited!!! It is so cute!!! A pink organdy bib apron with a scalloped hem and white piping! I still have some bids pending on a red gingham bib, and a few of half aprons from a farm estate auction in Kansas ( I'm sentimental about Kansas farms...) This is too cool!

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  9:44:09 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, congrats on your first successful auction!!! How exciting! I've been doing eBay for 5 years now and I *still* get excited...hehe. Good luck on the red gingham one!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  10:53:26 PM  Show Profile
I wear an apron all the time. My kids tease me when I forget to take it off when I get into the car to drive them somewhere, but it's my uniform. I hate ruining a shirt a day, and the apron frankly saves my clothes. I like printed colorful denim the best, because when I wipe my hands on them, they don't leak through onto. I always make aprons the right size for my kids, starting with baby size, and I see to it that they are in the habit of wearing them in the kitchen, the boys too.

I've sewn zillions of aprons for my mom, she uses them all the time. But I have never sewn one for me!! My grandmother taught me to sew and embroider, so when I saw a display of vintage aprons, it made me cry, remembering her aprons, and the apron stitches she taught me, like the spider stitch on gingham, or cross stitching, padded applique, etc.

An apron always makes a good beginner sewing project for a child.

I feel really uptight if I am in the kitchen without an apron on! We have a kitchen drawer just for the aprons. But my husband only wears his sporadically.

Find local raw milk on www.localharvest.com. "If you complain about farmers, don't do it with your mouth full."
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  09:24:39 AM  Show Profile
Citygoatlady, you have a good apron story...There should be an article in MJ magazine about farmgirl apron stories! That is cool your hubby has his own apron! You should sew a special one for yourself! I have used the butcher style white cotton duck aprons for my girls... I used fabric paint and painted designs on them, and let them draw stuff on them too. My 12 year old still wears the one I made her when she was 4! It is way too small ( she is tiny for her age though) I need to make her another one.

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  10:08:25 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations meadowlark! I love e-bay shhopping!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  8:48:42 PM  Show Profile
I was outbid on the red bib apron...Since I am a newbie on ebay I have a question...Are there people who run the prices up? This person at the very end of auction was bidding furiously against me for the apron...I do not have that kind of money or am I that frivolous to spend big bucks on a cotton apron! I have found a few bargains within my budget, but today it seems there were some pretty big high rollers out to drive up the prices to the stratosphere... Pretty disgusting. Maybe someone with more experience at this bidding thing can enlighten me.

Go to Top of Page

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  9:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Meadow - I like the butcher style of apron too. Somehow I'd like to figure out a pattern that covers both of my big (censored), not just one of them.

I've bought some things on Ebay. The prices stay low all through the week, and then the last couple minutes people enter their max. bid, and the computer automatically bids up dollar by dollar to your top bid. You have to outguess what you think the other highest bidders will say. Well, if aprons are selling for a lot, maybe you should find some vintage ones and sell them, after making a pattern from them for yourself of course.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page