Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic
Page: of 25

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2004 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile
What a precious quote Clare! I am printing it up and will place it in my scrapbook next to pics of my grandmothers in their aprons. Many thanks for your inspired and uplifting posts. MeadowLark

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Tracy
Amherst NH
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  04:16:14 AM  Show Profile
I have always loved aprons but as I am a larger sized woman not many of the pre-made ones fit. Does anyone have an easy pattern for me? I, too, have a newasoflastChristmas sewing machine that I just opened. So when I say easy, I MEAN easy! Hahhahahahaha. I have all of my mom's but she was a tiny little thing and I'm just saving them for my daughter. I love the ruffles on the older ones.

Firefly

Pieces of the moon dancing
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  07:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I have read and reread your post about aprons. It is great because it is so true. I have seen my mother and grandma dust with their aprons many times!

I still remember the fabric and style of the ones my grandmothers wore, and the way I could see through them a little while hiding between the apron and grandma. Then I could stare at whoever I was too shy to talk to, and they could not see my face!

Firefly, refer back to some of the orginal posts about aprons here on this site. There were apron patterns mentioned that were roomy and easy to make and wear. Also, I have purchased some from Ebay. They were vintage, but good everyday aprons and were very reasonable in price.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 08 2005 :  7:53:23 PM  Show Profile
CHECK IT OUT:
Country Living Magazine, June 2005 issue, page 92. MaryJane has contributed an article about aprons! Too cool!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 08 2005 :  8:31:00 PM  Show Profile
Can the article be found online?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 08 2005 :  8:33:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for letting us know about it Clare! I used to always subscribe to Country living, but they got a little "fancier" than me so now I just pick and choose and buy the gardening or special issues (usually holiday ones) that appeal to me. I will get this issue for sure!
I am sitting here in my apron as I type this..ready to go out and milk the goats.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 08 2005 :  8:36:30 PM  Show Profile
What kind of Apron do you wear Jenny to milk in?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  06:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny - I know what you mean about Country Living becoming too fancy. I subscribed to it beginning 1985 and loved it for a long time. Now it is difficult to find the articles at all because of all the ads. And the country living articles aren't really about country living, but about how you can make your home look shabby chic. I feel they have gotten off the path. Glad to hear that MJF is contributing! That can only help!

jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  09:28:43 AM  Show Profile
To milk in I wear a bib front apron...homespun type fabric with big pockets for eggs and stuff...I made a few of them..some with John Deere fabric to match my kitchen..the one I wear the most is a green plaid though. (green is my favorite color)

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  09:35:56 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, The Country Living Magazine June 2005 issue that I was referring to with the MJ article on aprons is not yet online.
I no longer subscribe to this magazine either, but after a conversation last month with Cindylou regarding which magazine it was that MJ is a regular monthly contributor to (it's Body & Soul), she gave me a heads up to look for this one that was coming along... so I did! I am enjoying this issue. I'm with Aunt Jenny, gotta pick and choose which issues are appealing to you. I think this one is worth the 4 bucks, but it's up to everyone to decide. You can always read it in the store!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  09:47:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you girls on the Country Living being too upscale now. I loved it in the mid 1980's but it has changed a lot. MJ has an article in it and I will fork over 4.00 for it... Thanks for the heads up Clare! Jenny your milking aprons sound so you... Green is also my favorite color! Can hardly wait to see what the "harvest apron" looks like that MJ is talking about in her book!!! That could be a project for the "Ruby Slippers" to try!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile
I am really excited to see the harvest aprons too..I noticed that on the calender right away..what a cute idea..I think we will do that for our first "chapter meeting"...even if it is just me.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  3:29:45 PM  Show Profile
I saw the article too in Country Living that MJ wrote. I still get it for the ideas though. I have collected aprons for several years and have quite a few along with some of gramma's.

p.s. I work part time for JJill and they are quite pricey. I know exactly which skirt you are referring to!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  7:34:38 PM  Show Profile
Here's a neat website:
http://www.apronchronicles.com/index.html

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  7:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Clare - are you going to make some of your aprons for MJF anytime? Way back when this thread of conversation began, I said I would love one, and I still would!

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  7:49:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm a'fixin to get organized to make some, Jeannie... I have mandated myself to finish one other project first... one that I've been working on for 5 or 6 years (gasp!!!). It's a denim quilt... not just squares, but something that takes some forethought, and ya know, I've never made a quilt before, so it's a challenge for me! haha! Things are starting to come together for finishing it though, so I'm hopeful that this summer I'll break out into apron production - well at least on a fun-small-love to do it-scale. And of course, when I have a sampling available, I'll post pics for my farmgirl sisters.

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  7:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Yippee, because I still want one too Clare,

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  04:55:40 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I have a large sampler (cross-stitch) that I have been working on for five years (with many projects in between), and I hope to finish it up for my daughter for Christmas this coming year. I know what you mean about long term projects. Time can fly!

By the way, girls, I have not seen the snippet about harvest aprons. Where is that?

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  05:22:17 AM  Show Profile
I'd take one too Clare! That is a cool website...Love the picture of those women in their aprons.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  05:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Jp- Look on your farmgirl calender to the side...it tells about the harvest apron project in the book!

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 13 2005 :  7:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Have to agree about Country Living - I now have a subscription which I got for free, but will not be renewing it. I used to get something called Country Journal, but it's out of print for a few years. I saw the apron article by Mary Jane, very nice indeed. I haven't checked out eBay for aprons, prefer to buy locally from garage sales/antique stores, etc. As far as quilts I am still working on my patchwork one, made from pieces of cloth I've saved over the years. Have it partially finished, my own design, etc. but made the mistake () of deciding to embroider every single seam!!!
Now it will take some time to finish, 'cause it gets exhausting and tiring to hand-embroider it. But it will definitely be one-of-a-kind and an heirloom. If I ever do it again I will use larger patches also!

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  4:42:32 PM  Show Profile
I love aprons. I have an easy pattern that I use. For wedding gifts I make an apron and a set of napkins to match. I wear one everyday as I work around the house.
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  7:45:27 PM  Show Profile
hey Elizabeth...you ARE one of us!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  8:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark and all - is the Farmgirl Calendar you refer to above in the kit for chapters? I have not received mine yet, so I will look forward to learning about the Harvest apron there.
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  9:52:58 PM  Show Profile
Yes..it is in the kit! You will love it...BUT..it just refers to the apron..we have to wait for THE book to get the instructions. I think it sounds wonderful!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page