Page: of 25

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  08:06:44 AM  Show Profile
It was a bit tighter then I thought it would be. It fits me fine if I don't have a big sweater on under it. I bet making it larger would work just fine.

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  11:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a fun site, Nancy. Will have to check it out. speaking of checks, I got a really cute half apron at my thrift store a few days ago. It is light blue gingham, made from a feedsack. It is rounded with a ruffle, cute pocket and edged with white bias tape. Those girls back them sure had small waists!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  11:57:40 AM  Show Profile
Since I'm a little "ample" I checked the measurements first before I made the apron. I added two inches to the center (yielding 4 inches increase) and re-drew the neckline, I also added an inch to the shoulder length to accomodate my slightly larger bust - then took a dart at the side. I also added an inch on each side or so to the side(back) to go around my hips. It worked OK for me doing it this way, but I couldn't lay it out the way it was in the book - I had guessed this would be the case so started with 1 1/2 yards of fabric.

quote:
Originally posted by Susie Q

Anybody else find that the Everyday Apron from the book was a bit too small?

I made up a muslin of it and found it a bit snug. I've been wondering about blowing it up to 500% for more ease. Has anybody tried that?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Mar 12 2006 11:59:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  2:13:44 PM  Show Profile
brightmeadow, the pattern in the book is medium (size 8 to 10), sounds like you have the perfect idea for making it fit your beautiful body. I always seem to need a little adjustment here and there, so glad I'm not the only one. We have not tried the 500% increase Susie Q, not sure if the Kinko's machine will go that high. So glad to see you girls are apron lovers as we all are at the farm. Just can not wait to come in to work and pick out the perfect color apron to match our outfits for the day.

Julie

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  6:15:21 PM  Show Profile
This refers to a post a while ago by Annie T - I was wondering if you ever made a maternity apron and how it turned out? I am in the "position" of wanting one, and I tried to make up a pattern that turned out like...ahem...a light green and purple polka-dotted tent. Ahhh..the road to *somewhere* is paved with good intentions!!!

I was just wondering if anyone has had success being "aproned" while expecting...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  09:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I love aprons...and need them, too. I wear them even while eating if I'm dressed to go "out". Have you ever seen pictures of Tasha Tudor in her aprons? She has a long full length plaid with pockets and a bottom ruffle that I'd love to be able to copy. The neck is nice and high, so food can't find its way down the front. I love your idea, and have thought about making them as gifts myself.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  09:27:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I thought I'd mention, Tasha's clothes are all 1830's era....Really old fashioned!

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  10:23:10 AM  Show Profile
Don't know if this has been mentioned...the Indygo Junction company has adorable new patterns for aprons. They look just like the kind my Gram wore!

http://www.indygojunctioninc.com/store/index.php?cPath=126_131&osCsid=6863dea5fefcdf2bcc48cf0c4ccc3684

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  04:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the Indigo Junction site. Their aprons are pretty! I think of quilting when the company name appears and didn't know they had a website. I made a revised version of the Paisley Pincushion scalloped apron, finishing yesterday. FYI, it required an extra half yard fabric above what was listed (I pieced together the back straps.) and is cute, but not simple to put on! That cross-over style is going to take practice wrestling it on.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  09:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Libbie-

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. No, I never did make my maternity apron. There was a mixup at the pattern company, and by the time I got the right pattern and the right instructions I was already 8 1/2 months, so it seemed silly to make one at that point. However, I am still going to make one, cause we might have more kids. Of course I won't worry DH about that... I'll just tell him it's a design detail. He doesn't need to know I'm planning on more. ;)

I did have an apron to wear, however, and that was my everyday apron from Mary Jane's book. I made it exactly as written, and it fit me just fine the whole time--but I am very thin, and didn't put on much weight with my baby. I have a long torso, so the buttons on the apron are about level with my lower rib, so they didn't interfere with my belly.

Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alice Jackson
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Alice
Stayton OR
USA
5 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  10:07:41 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of aprons. I just wish I could make the time to sew some. I've been hitting all of the quilt shops and buying happy material for when this happens. I hope soon. I need aprons, I'm such a clutz and spill everything. I'd like to be able to whip off my apron and have a clean t-shirt when I run to the store.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  10:31:47 PM  Show Profile
That is one of my main reasons for wearing aprons, Alice! I am always clumsy and spilling things..so it is a help. I am not comfortable at home when I DON'T have my apron on..unless I am wearing bib overalls.
Welcome to the group by the way!! Arn't there adorable fabrics out there right now..??? I can't resist fabric!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  04:53:00 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you guys have this fear of getting your vintage aprons ruined? I have these wonderful aprons, some new and some old, and I end up wearing my terry cloth one all the time because I can wipe my hands on it, and then wash it easily. I keep saying I need to make myself some new terry ones, but I love the fabrics on the cotton ones - I jast hate to get them dirty! I know, crazy.....

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  06:15:34 AM  Show Profile
Now Jeannie, don't be crazy, please wear them, as Tasha Tudor says, no point in having things and not using them, fine china, fine lace, fine clothes,and vintage aprons. You can always get more, there are a lot of them to be found on line for not all that much money. Now I will make an exception if the apron is the only one I have of say my moms or grandmas, that one could hang in a special place or be worn on special days. So lets go get that apron on!
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  12:25:19 PM  Show Profile
I use all my stuff..old and new. And so far so good..they wash up fine.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  2:53:52 PM  Show Profile
You guys are absolutely right, as always. I have begun to use my silver because what is the use of having it for 30 years and never using it? And it feels so good in the hand. So, tonight I am putting on one of vintage aprons and living dangerously. :) Yes, gals, that is dangerous living for me!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  3:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Good girl Jeannie!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  4:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Gals, I saw this topic and had to comment. First, I just bought one of Aunt Jenny's clothespin aprons and it arrived this week. Now, of course, I _could_ sew one myself, but I don't have any plans to get the sewing machine out anytime soon, so I "helped the economy" as I like to say. It is gorgeous - Debbie Mumm fabric with chickens and such on it. And now I don't have to pin my clothespins to my shirt anymore! Love it! And love my aprons. I found another piece of Debbie Mumm fabric I bought several years ago and I have enough of it left to make a nice bib apron. I like the bibs too, cause I am a little "creative" - well, messy if you like! And I just might have found a use for the denim shorts that are all that's left of the first pair of blue jeans I ever bought and into which I will never get my FWA (fine wide arse) again - but I have kept them, lo these many years. A denim apron might just work with that! I'll have to check it out next time I run across them. Well, happy sewing and happy aprons, everyone! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  6:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies
It has been a while since I have been here but I wanted to let you know that Amelia's Aprons is launching thier second recipe contest of the year. The prize for "The Worlds best BBQ" is a $20.00 coupon good toward the purchase and shipping of any apron. Details are below. I hope you ladies will check it out.

2nd quarter recipe contest starts NOW !

We will begin collecting recipes for The “Worlds best barbeque” contest today May 23rd 2006 and will continue to accept them until July 1st 2006. We will have a panel of taste testers busy throughout the month testing every recipe we receive. The winner will be announced on July 3rd, 2006

To enter this recipe contest all you have to do is e-mail us your recipe, and we will notify you via e-mail if you are the winner. After all recipes have been collected and tasted we will choose our favorite and announce the winner and the recipe on http://www.ameliasaprons.com/ In addition to our web site we will post the winners first name, state and recipe on our apron blog and on our family blog.

Win a $20.00 coupon! Good toward the purchase and shipping of any apron. Amelia’s aprons now has styles available for the entire family so we decided instead of choosing an apron category for the winner to pick their prize from we would offer a coupon good towards the purchase of an apron of your choice. You can use your coupon for shipping charges too so if you pick an apron that is priced between $12.99-$14.99 you will receive it absolutely free. If you prefer one of our vintage or specialty designs simply apply your coupon to the total purchase price. It is that simple. So enter now for your chance to win. You have nothing to loose and a great apron to gain. Send recipe to: recipe contest and Win a fabulous apron creation from Amelia’s Aprons .

Thank you in advance to everyone that submits a recipe. It is your entry that makes this contest possible. Remember that all recipes are used for contest purposes only and will not be sold to anyone else. We at Amelia's Aprons wish to uphold all copyright laws, so please submit original or family recipes only.

Sincerely

Lorrie Mathews

Owner/ Moderator

http://www.ameliasaprons.com/

Home of Fun, Fashionable, and Functional Aprons
www.ameliasaprons.com / www.ameliasaprons.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  02:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I went to an auction today and got the best thing for free!! I was bidding on a box of books that contined many cookbooks as well as a book from the fifties that was full of vintage apron patterns!! I tried to bid on the whole box but there was a woman who realy wanted the cookbooks. I approached her afterwards and asked how much she wanted for the book and he gave it to me!! I have been pouring through it tryin to decide what i want to make first. So many patterns so little time!! I will surely post pictures as sooon as I make one.

Stacy

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  04:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Hello everyone. Stacy...great job w/ the auction. don't you just love it when stuff like that happens. I loved finding this discussion about aprons. i have always had a love of aprons. I just bought some fabric to make aprons with last week....and i got my pattern from Indygojunction. it is a great one. Let me know how yours comes out.

take care
doreen

Please take a look at my folk art. http://www.crowsoup.com/Market1137.php

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  07:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i love aprons too.
since i was the son my dad never had, hehehehe, and he was a carpenter, i grew up wearing nail aprons. now i make my own and use vintage or beautiful fabric to make them so they look more "girly". i call them "domestic goddess aprons."

they arent really the kind you wear in the kitchen, but i cant do a project now on the farm without my apron on, its like having an extra set of pockets.
i have made them to sell and also give them to friends for presents.
in the kitchen i really love the full aprons that kind of fit like a smock and cross over in the back.
fran
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  2:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey...
I should probably post an intro huh? THis group is so amazing! girls like me!!! WOOT!

ANyway, I have an obsession with aprons. I keep them everywhere, I have my favorites and part of my collection hangs on a wall in my kitchen. I just started making this apron:

http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/apronpatterncover.jpg

I saw it on a site that sells aprons and since I sew, I though, heck, I can make that for myself instead of spending the 35 they want for them sewing it. I just cut it and pinned my darts and have had to stop...busy busy life....you know the story....but I can't wait for it to be done. It's my goal this weekend on top of everything else.

My blog is on Myspace but I have a few entries on aprons in it:

http://blog.myspace.com/gaiasrose

Just wanted to share. I have enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the aprons you all wear (in the sewing forum)....I am really excited about this group!!

Thanks!
Blessings,
Tasha
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  9:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Tasha, welcome!! Isn't this group great? I saw your posting about your clothesline, sounds very cool! If I had 2 trees close enough to the house I would do that too. I also have a thing about aprons, didn't have any but I've wanted to make at least one for a long time. I found this pattern at www.thecalicocat.com for this 1940 apron and I cut it out last night and sewed it up today. I still have to put the bias tape on which I've never done before but the apron turned out cute so far! I had this material for quite awhile that has roosters on it so I used that. I had such fun making the apron that I cut out 2 more today, this time using material that has kind of a country theme with roosters and pumpkins, etc on it. When I get one completely done I'll post a picture. My husband is only around on weekends and tomorrow is our 17th anniversary so I may not get to finish it till early next week.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  11:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I just read this entire line of aprons oh my goodness lots of ideas and lots of cool websites in there but boy did it take a while to read. If you have not read it take it in chuncks but do read it lots of information

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page