Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  9:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Okay....thanks alot..another magazine I must get ( I am an addict!!!) Hey Patricia..thanks, by the way for the knitting magazine!! You are a doll!!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  07:35:35 AM  Show Profile
I posted ages ago that I had ordered the Edwardian apron pattern from Sense and Sensibility patterns, and that I was going to make myself a maternity apron. Well, there was a mixup with shipping, and I ended up getting the pattern, but not the instructions, so I emailed and waited and emailed and waited some more, and emailed again Monday, so FINALLY.... The proper instructions are in the mail to me, and for my "long suffering" (LOL) the little girl' pinafore and bloomers pattern, too.

Of course, I'll only be pregnant for a few more days, probably, so I don't think this will be a maternity apron. However I'm going to make my new dress form a "baby belly" so I'll make HER a maternity apron, and still let everybody know how it turns out. LOL!

(By the way, I still DO reccommend Sense and Sensibility patterns... this was just a fluke--all of their patterns are beautiful!)

Annie

Visit the Bramblestitches store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  09:32:35 AM  Show Profile
My pleasure, Jenny. I hope you enjoy it. By the way, I signed up for 2 knitting classes at Pipers's quilts and comforts here in Sugarhouse. It's my favorite needlework store. I'm taking "Socks, socks, and more socks" by someone named Steve (!) and a baby beanie and sweater set that was designed by the lady who owns the store. It's adorable and I have 2 babies coming up to knit for. They're the first knitting classes I've ever taken and I'm tired of struggling with understanding patterns on my own. They have a great deal, too. If you buy your supplies at Pipers, the classes are half price ($16 and $18). Woo hoo!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Gee, Patricia, I want to go with you to the sock knitting class. I am trying to locate someone here that can teach me. Have fun!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  9:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Greetings all you other farmgirl apron lovers... I just watched Ladies in Lavender that Julia told us about...Looooved the movie..it was wonderful ..(gonna be added to my personal library) and the violin piece at the end....soooooo beautiful. Julia...you were right about the aprons,too. They were fantastic!..(just trying to figure out which one you stopped the movie to sketch ..I have my guesses..let us know!! Blessings, Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  11:36:01 AM  Show Profile
Annie
I too resently bought the Edwardian apron pattern from Sense and Sensibility. I love their patterns. My daughter loves the regency dress pattern and I have made her several. I was suprised at the amount of fabric needed for the Edwardian apron, but, I think it will make a great pinafore and I am looking forward to putting one together. My sister in law used one of the regency patterns and put the full skirt that was made for the back on the front and wore it as a maternity dress, it was really cute. can't wait to see pictures.
lorrie

Home of Fun, Fashionable, and Functional Aprons
www.ameliasaprons.com / www.ameliasaprons.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  2:55:44 PM  Show Profile
Mummsie, it is the scene where Judy Dench comes in the kitchen from outside. The apron has the rounded front and back, that slips over the head and ties at the sides. My mom gave me some vintage fabric for my b-day, I think I will use it for that.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  3:13:18 PM  Show Profile
Piper's Quilts and Comforts is a great store!!

Visit the Bramblestitches store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
Visit me at my blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  4:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Next time I get up that far I will have to check it out!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile
Ah ha! I thought so..but there were some great other ones, too..It was hard to not love all of them, each unique..and the gardening smocks and the hats..gotta love them all! Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  4:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,next time you come up here, let me know and we can go together. There are a couple of other great shops to visit, too. There's a fantastic quilt shop in Heritage village in the Morman handcrafts building we could hit, too. Woo hoo! They have lots fabric marked down to $2 and $3.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  5:14:17 PM  Show Profile
sounds like a plan Patricia....don't know when I will get up there next..but hey..lets do that!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  9:51:36 PM  Show Profile
I would love the wardrobe and the backyard view!

Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  8:18:20 PM  Show Profile
At last, I have my instructions for the Edwardian Apron pattern from sensibility.com. Oooh! I also ended up with the little girl's pinafore and pantaloon pattern, so Miss O will have something cute and new soon, too. :)

Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
My blog: http://bramblestitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  05:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Aprons are making a big comeback. I even have a book called, APRONS ICONS OF THE AMERICAN HOME, BY JOYCE CHENEY. It has great pictures of aprons form way back to now. You might want to get the book. Amazon probably has it. I have it in front of me right now, makes me want to put an apron on.The book is all in color,140 pages, each page has its own apron with info about it. IF I was a good enough seamtress I think I would be down at my sewing machine right now.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  3:45:32 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, I didn't read thru all 37 pages of the post to see if this had already been posted or not. So forgive if it's a repeat and if not, ENJOY!

Aprons
>
>>
> The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath,
> but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from
> the oven.
>
> It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even
> used for cleaning out dirty ears.
>
> From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks,
> and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
>
> When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.
>
> And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.
>
> Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood
> stove.
>
> Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
>
> From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had
> been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
>
> In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from
> the trees.
>
> When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much
> furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
>
> When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron,
> and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
>
> It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace
> that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.
>

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund

Edited by - The Handmaiden on Jan 31 2006 3:46:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  4:14:48 PM  Show Profile
Kim
Yes that is pretty much it with the apron thing, the only time I saw my grandma without her apron on during the day was when the precher came.
Nancy Jo
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  09:11:38 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad that aprons are coming back. I've even got the men in my family into wearing them now. I made my dad one that was denim with red bandana material for the pocket and tie, he looks like a cowboy. I made my honey one for when he is wood working to put all his tools, nails and things in, because he spend more time looking for things that working. And for my brother I made him an apron for grilling that was camouflage with blaze orange and khaki accents because he loves hunting. They all sent me pictures of them wearing the aprons; I just love seeing them get into aprons too. Plus less stains on their pants from rubbing their greasy hands on them. I promised them I would make the aprons look manly as I could. Aubrey

"Agriculture...is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end conribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  08:17:14 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kim that is a great article. I don't think it has been posted here, but I posted it on my blog a few months ago. I have seen it circulating about the net it is great. The original author, Nancy Campbell, is the Editress of "Above Rubies" magazine. They are a great family and she actually had a series of apron articles that I listed on my blog. It is great reading.

Now talking about the come back of aprons, I have just launched a Mexican food recipe contest where the prize will be a "Kitchen apron" of your choice from our web store.
Details are listed under the Kitchen forum here on MJ and also on my blog site. (url in signature line) I am hoping to receive so many entries that I will be cooking Mexican food for the whole month. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Lorrie

Home of Fun, Fashionable, and Functional Aprons
www.ameliasaprons.com / www.ameliasaprons.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  08:37:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies I was looking at some old country living magazines last night and I found some sites they mention with really cute aprons. One is learntocrochet.com they have a pattern for a crocheted daisy apron that is really sweet. The other site is jessiesteele.com. I really liked her bib aprons, but a little too expensive for me but I would love to try to make similar ones.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  11:10:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh....that crocheted apron is really cute! I might have to try that.
Thanks for the site.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  12:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Looking through MJ's book last night and I got inspired by page 207 to make a gingham apron with rickrack and embroidery. Have any of you ladies made one? It looks like a lot of fun. I did find instructions on different stiches but how did they pull the fabric together in the photo, I just assume they did that with embroidery thread. I am new to all this. I did find a great photo of 3 cute gingham and rickrack aprons at http://www.flickr.com/photos/buzzville/35452236/. I want to make the one with the chicken pocket. Too bad they don't have the pattern. That site has a lot of cute apron photos. Aubrey
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  9:18:08 PM  Show Profile
My daughter just came to visit and she brought me a vintage apron that she found at antique shop. She said all the aprons are $1.oo!! I will be sending a bit of egg money!!! I just can't seem to get enough aprons.

Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  09:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
My fiance got me a sewing machine for my birthday this week, and I went out last night and got some fabric to make my first apron! Well, I got the fabric to make my first two aprons... I just couldn't decide!!! One is chickens and green and brown gingham, and the other is a 50's kind of graphic-y looking flower pattern... I'm so excited to get started! Unfortunately I have to work today, so it'll have to wait a little...

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  10:28:10 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE my aprons. I have been making them to match these simple gathered skirts that I make -- that way I feel sort of "together" and still like it's OK to get as dirty as I sometimes get! My little one (2 yrs.) really enjoys coming up to me to see what I have in my "pocket treat" as he calls the aprons - usually I've thrown a couple of animal crackers or raisins in the front pocket of whatever apron I'm wearing and it's our fun little ritual throughout the day to see what the pocket treat is. I like knowing that he'll remember me in aprons...

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page