lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  7:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Did you ladies know that wool was used for making aprons in the pioneer days, because of it's flame resistance? I found an article today from the Cincinnati Post about home remedies and it mentioned that women would wear them when cooking over the open hearth. I did not know that, so I thought I would pass that tid bit on. The full article can be found on my blog site if you are interested. It had other information that was useful too.
Do any of you ladies spin? I bought a spinning wheel a couple years ago and can't seem to make usable thread. I think now I may wish to make an apron of wool, IF I can get my thread to turn out right :)
any helpful hints?
lorrie

http://www.ameliasaprons.com/blog

www.ameliasaprons.com
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  8:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Amelia,(?)
I'm not a spinner (yet!), I just started learning to use a spindle. But I would think to make an apron from wool, you don't need to spin at all. I haven't seen it, but to get a really dense "fabric" (i.e. something that would be fire resistant) they would most likely have used felt. Probably needle felt or felted unspun fiber. Much faster to do and more readily available, even nowadays.

From this hour I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  9:58:41 PM  Show Profile
I never knew that about wool aprons! I would have hated to wear one on the plains in the heat of summer, washing clothes over a hot fire! I think it would be fun to make one as well. Oh my list of things to make keeps getting longer!! You girls are so fun of ideas and info.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile
Klara
Thanks for the information, I had not thought of that. I wonder if they would have also woven the wool on a loom? Is felt made of wool? Shows you how much I know about it. I am waiting for some information to come in about a conference that I heard about. it is called "from sheep to shawl" and is suppose to teach everything from getting your raw wool, how to prepare it, how to spin it and then how to make something with it. I will pass that info on when I get it if you would like.

I'm with you Julia, it does seem like it would be really hot. But I still think it sounds neat.

ttfn
Lorrie (amelia is my 13 year old, the apron site is for her, but I am running it while she is in training)

www.ameliasaprons.com
Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:37:08 AM  Show Profile
Lorrie,
When you get any more information about the conference please let me know. It sounds like something I need to hear. I know very little about any of this.
Thank you. Ivy
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  1:38:54 PM  Show Profile
I almost forgot, I found this blog site last night, the owner of the blog does a monthly theme for an apron pattern sew off. Everyone submits their pictures of the aprons they made that month, that match her theme, and she post them in her photo gallery. I thought it was neat. She may even be on this site, but I thought I would share if any of you wanted to participate.
If not there are some great pictures.
http://angrychicken.typepad.com/tieoneon/vintage_aprons/index.html

Home of Fun, Fashionable, and Functional Aprons
www.ameliasaprons.com / www.ameliasaprons.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  2:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Here is an apron I made as a Christmas gift. It's so cute. Even though my model is 8 (the girl I watch on occasion), it is made for a women. Aprons are the best!

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  5:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Theresa, very cute, both apron and model!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  8:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Theresa; I too love it, very cute. I love the way it scoops in the back, great design.

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  8:52:57 PM  Show Profile
Theresa, do you have the pattern info? I like the style.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  9:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Ok Ivy, and anyone else who was interested.
I posted the seminar information called "From sheep to Shawl" on the felted wool topic page. I just discovered that page they have lots of great info about wool, and felting wool. I felt guilty getting off subject here so I posted the information there. I figured it would be more relevant.

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  12:08:51 AM  Show Profile
My guess would be as to how the people made a wool apron, would be to lay out carded batts or handcarded batts of wool in several thick layers, then wet then with warm water and soap and use those wash boards that they used to scrub clothes, This would felt the wool really fast, hang to dry and sew some ties on it
shirley
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  09:41:49 AM  Show Profile
I bought the pattern at a quilt store not too far from where I live. You might be able to buy it online. I just thought the style was so cute. Great for retro or vintage fabric.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  10:26:21 AM  Show Profile
Looks like this would be a good pattern to make from an old retro tablecloth, which I just happen to have in my stash....hm....

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  11:22:55 AM  Show Profile
I found this pattern for sell here http://pages.tias.com/11052/PictPage/1922603726.html
It is so funny that you mentioned making it with a retro table clothe Patricia, because that is exactly what this web page said.
Happy sewing
Lorrie

Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  11:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Please post pictures when your done! Can't wait to see!
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  11:29:23 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirl Apron Alert: Check out www.indygojunctioninc.com. Awesome patterns, including "Bon Appetit"..and some other fabulous apron and clothing patterns!!! Whoo Hoo!!

Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  11:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow Mumsie, Hats off to you! what a find! I clicked on the vintage workshop , I am in Heaven!!!! Can't wait to order this stuff for future projects!
Thanks agian
Yours truly,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  11:42:35 AM  Show Profile
Great website! Love the jackets! Sigh. So many projects, so little time!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  7:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Ooooo! Love the web site Mummsie! You were right. All I need is more hours in the day, and an inheritance and I'd be set!

Go to Top of Page

JudysSewin
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Judy
Joshua Tree California
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  7:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Send JudysSewin an AOL message
To all who love aprons: I have a story too about aprons. I wear mine to town. The ladies ignore me, but the men (especially older men) stand aside and open the door for me. I think it reminds them of their mothers. My friend, Georgianna sold a bib apron with a gathered skirt at our local street fair for $15. They were very popular with the ladies who bought them for traveling in their motorhomes. I like mine with two pockets.

JudysSewin

Keep on the sunny side of life
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  7:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judysswewin,
I have done that too, forgot to take it off while I pick up the kids, most women think I am a nut, but you want to make a man's head turn, Wear your apron
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  8:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome JudysSwewin! I walked to my neighbors to get her mail, I was afraid that a man in a passing truck would either get whiplash or cause an accident when he turned so hard to look at me and my apron.

I was spring cleaning at church and found a drawer full of aprons, that never get worn. I found 2 vintage aprons that are darling. They have found a new home at my house. I guess it pays to be the head of a committee from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  9:00:52 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Judy...you are so neat to wear yours to town. I do wear mine for quick errands and like that..and have forgotten to take mine off and gone to the market. I think people in this small town arn't surprized by ME anymore..they are getting used to me. Usuaully women are likely to ask where I am working..thinking I work at a restaurant or something..and I say I work at home. Couldn't live without my aprons!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  9:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Ladies! The new issue of Piecework magazine has a few great stories about aprons!! You have to get it!!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page