jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  12:44:05 PM  Show Profile
I just won the cutest vintage apron on Ebay! It is blue flowered and almost a full front, and so pretty and I love it. Just wish I could put it on and walk out the back door to see fields and an Iowa sunset!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  4:14:44 PM  Show Profile
JP -- the apron sound so cute!! I wish with all my heart that you could see the Iowa sunset too! Someday my friend. Just like someday I'll be able to walk out the back door and see the Illinois sunset!

Send pics of your cute apron.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  4:59:05 PM  Show Profile
Kay - Your reply warmed my heart. You know, I am an Illinois girl, born and bred, so an Illini sunset would be great, too. I still get to see those sometimes, when I go home to Springfield. We are fellow mid-westerners!

I will try to get a pic online of my apron. Or at least a link to Ebay to view it!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  8:09:12 PM  Show Profile
JP -- I get to see them too when I go home to visit. But it's just not the same as if you had your own house and yoru own view! I know that we're both Central IL girls. I haven't been home for a year and it will be next summer before I get to visit again. I'm homesick!

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Nov 01 2005 8:10:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  04:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Kay - visited your blogspot. Really nice! You are a good writer!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  4:53:04 PM  Show Profile
I've collected aprons for about 25 years and have over a hundred .. lately, i've been adopting them out to other women (selling) .. and gifting them to friends. I especially love the 'feedsack' aprons .. ahhh the stories they tell!

The ones i am really saving for me now are the homespun checked ones .. more 'pioneer' looking in these cabins. I actually will often wear them over a long skirt and long sleeved top ... or over a vintage feedsack dress when going to town or meetings .. (it's o.k. .. cuz' i'm pretty much accepted for my 'wild child' outfits that i show up in! these kentuckians are so tolerant of 'differences' i find.

(i'm also very fond of wearing 'pantaloons' and hiking my skirts up .. revealing my 'work boots' and dainty bloomers' for all to see!)

oh ..and every spring .. i hang the clothesline with about 15 of them .. makes me smile every time i look out the back window . .and it brings a big 'ole grin to the face of friends who visit and discover them flapping in the spring-time breeze!

as to bringing back the 'good olde days' encouraging women to start wearing them again .. i have a suggestion .. if "every" .. oh lordy! i wanted to "captilize" that word ... every!!!! farmgirl would wear them regularly for a week or two .. at home .. when going 'out' on the town .. and yes .. this would take a little 'coordinating' with our wardrobes so we don't end up being driven to the funny farm by friends or neighbors .. but if we all did this .. and talked to everyone who looked at us strangely .. or asked: "why" .. we could simply smile and tell them we are farmgirls .. honoring our 'fore-mothers' .. then perhaps we might just 'start a trend'! what cha'll think of that idea? xo, frannie

p.s. some of you may realize by now how much i love 'stories' .. soooooooo .. for everyone who posts an 'apron' story .. it can be yours or someone elses .. or even 'made up' .. i'll put your name in a basket and have a drawing and send along one of my vintage feedsack aprons to the winner.

p.s. .. p.s. honey hunk and i are heading for toledo tomorrow morning to visit our adorable grand-son and his momma and poppa .. will be back next Thursday November 10th .. and look forward to lots of 'stories'. (no computer accessible .. so i won't see your stories until i return. meanwhile .. have a grande week!
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  8:07:53 PM  Show Profile
I saw the most interesting half apron today at the mexican grocery store worn by a sweet older lady. It was very full. The center front was tiered and gathered and on each side were 3 vertical pannels the were pointed at the ends The apron was trimmed in lace. It was different than any thing I had ever seen. Don't know if it was a cultural style or not.
Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  11:04:25 PM  Show Profile
I love vintage aprons! While I have never developed the habit of wearing an apron, my mom always had one on while cooking dinner back in the '60s and '70s and I have many fond memories of that. I've been a 4-H leader for many years and always have a drawerful of aprons that my cooking club can choose from. The kids love it and are always excited when I've found a new addition at a garage or estate sale. Interestingly, our youngest daughter has always put an apron on to help me in the kitchen (she's 8) or even when cleaning house. I don't know where she developed the habit as it's not my routine but she LOVES aprons! Perhaps this next generation will revive the use of aprons. I know that I would have saved a lot of tops over the years had I taken the time to put an apron on.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  3:28:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie! Your post made me smile! It sounds so like me. Where as I don't have any pantaloons, always have wanted a pair, it was as though I was writing about me.
An apron story huh? Would it count if I reposted one?

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  3:44:44 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, don't forget the book I'm writing compiling farmgirl apron stories!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  5:07:42 PM  Show Profile
I know Patricia! I haven't forgot really. I am just a slow mover sometimes! Be patient with me! :) Julia

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  8:29:20 PM  Show Profile
No rush ~ sometime after the holidays would be great. Woo hoo!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  9:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Where as I don't have any pantaloons,
always have wanted a pair, it was as
though I was writing about me.

OH ... and a wonderful little 'fashion trick' that i learned many years ago ... find a pair of pantaloons with the 'open bottom (crotch)' .. and lace around the bottoms .. now .. turn them upside down and put your arms through the legs and button the waist around your waist .. and voila! you have an adorable, adorable little jacket!!! when we lived in the mountains of colorado .. i would wear a camisole, with my pantaloons as a jacket and a long white victorian petticoat as a skirt .. with either 'ballet slippers' ... or my HIKING BOOTS! my honey hunk always said i was either very 'chic' .. or would find myself encased in a straight jacket!

An apron story huh?
Would it count if I reposted one?

i just noticed that someone is collecting apron stories .. soooo .. i think i'll find another 'collectible' to do stories about .. and give a prize for that ... i'll start another post tomorrow .. (have to figure out where to put it) .. will still give away a feedsack apron AND a vintage cookbook/

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  12:54:28 PM  Show Profile
'Tis me, Frannie. I'm collecting all our farmgirl stories into a book that one of the girls from the farm is illustrating. Also, if you have a photo illo that is OK too. Just post your story here or e-mail it to me if you want to participate. Thanks!!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  7:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, you crack me up! I love the Pantaloon jacket fashion statement. Do you make your own pantaloons? If so, where did you get you pattern?

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  2:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
More aprons in Country Home Christmas issue..page 67 & 68!! The apron bandwagon is getting more and more attention..gotta love it!! Cute examples too, check it out!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  5:47:02 PM  Show Profile
Do you make your own pantaloons? If so, where did you get you pattern?

===============

no farmgirl gurlfren .. i buy antique (victorian) ones at antiques shoppes.

but if you are a sewer .. you could probably just draw out a pattern pretty easily. (i only make rag dolls!) xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  5:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, don't forget the book I'm writing compiling farmgirl apron stories!
==========================

where can this 'thread' be found .. sounds interesting .. would like to take a 'read' at it! frannie
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  5:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Diane, Thanks for reminding me about the Country Home issue. I love that magazine. Those aprons were cute. I loved the red organza one and the cobbler apron!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  9:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Frannie ~ It's only begun: still in research and organizing mode. Please feel free to contribute if you want.

Thanks,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  02:35:47 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,
go back
in this Aprons thread, page 27......
that's where Patricia announces her plan to publish....

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

lgm1270
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Lorrie
Fairview TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  07:39:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CabinCreek-Kentucky

I've collected aprons for about 25 years and have over a hundred .. lately, i've been adopting them out to other women (selling) .. and gifting them to friends. I especially love the 'feedsack' aprons .. ahhh the stories they tell!

The ones i am really saving for me now are the homespun checked ones .. more 'pioneer' looking in these cabins. I actually will often wear them over a long skirt and long sleeved top ... or over a vintage feedsack dress when going to town or meetings .. (it's o.k. .. cuz' i'm pretty much accepted for my 'wild child' outfits that i show up in! these kentuckians are so tolerant of 'differences' i find.

(i'm also very fond of wearing 'pantaloons' and hiking my skirts up .. revealing my 'work boots' and dainty bloomers' for all to see!)

oh ..and every spring .. i hang the clothesline with about 15 of them .. makes me smile every time i look out the back window . .and it brings a big 'ole grin to the face of friends who visit and discover them flapping in the spring-time breeze!

as to bringing back the 'good olde days' encouraging women to start wearing them again .. i have a suggestion .. if "every" .. oh lordy! i wanted to "captilize" that word ... every!!!! farmgirl would wear them regularly for a week or two .. at home .. when going 'out' on the town .. and yes .. this would take a little 'coordinating' with our wardrobes so we don't end up being driven to the funny farm by friends or neighbors .. but if we all did this .. and talked to everyone who looked at us strangely .. or asked: "why" .. we could simply smile and tell them we are farmgirls .. honoring our 'fore-mothers' .. then perhaps we might just 'start a trend'! what cha'll think of that idea? xo, frannie

p.s. some of you may realize by now how much i love 'stories' .. soooooooo .. for everyone who posts an 'apron' story .. it can be yours or someone elses .. or even 'made up' .. i'll put your name in a basket and have a drawing and send along one of my vintage feedsack aprons to the winner.

p.s. .. p.s. honey hunk and i are heading for toledo tomorrow morning to visit our adorable grand-son and his momma and poppa .. will be back next Thursday November 10th .. and look forward to lots of 'stories'. (no computer accessible .. so i won't see your stories until i return. meanwhile .. have a grande week!

If you are still collecting apron stories here is a funny one that my mother told me. I love aprons. I am just a country girl from AR that lives in TN. I have a small farm with a few chickens and a couple goats. I have just recently started an apron web site for my daughter, to help instill the love of wearing them into the hearts of many. Anyway, that is a short bio since this is my first post. I look forward to many more. Here is my apron story, how it apears on my blog. http://www.ameliasaprons.com/blog

I heard a funny story from my mother the other day. It was one of years gone by about my grandmother and the apron that she wore when she was a little girl. Now my grandmother’s apron was not much different than that worn by most little girls in the 1920’s, but the way that it was used, I feel, was not very common. Apparently my grandmother was a busy little girl that liked to get into things when her mother was busy. That sounds pretty typical for most small children I know. The funny part however is what my great-grandmother did to keep her out of mischief. No, she wasn’t tied to her mother’s apron strings, which is what I would naturally think, but rather her apron strings were tied and placed under the post of the bed. She was given a cotton ball with honey one it to keep her entertained, and apparently enjoyed this activity as it was related to my mother as a fond memory. Can you imagine how long you could sit there trying to get the cotton off your fingers? Can you imagine what would happen if you tried to do something like that today?
This is a story that my mother never forgot. Now, because she has shared it with me and I have shared it with my daughter the story will live far longer than the participants. These are the generational stories that connect us with our past. It is a way of knowing where we came from. I encourage you to share a story from the past with your children. They will never forget it.

www.ameliasaprons.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  10:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks, Amelia and welcome to our site. I'm doing a book of collections of farmgirl apron and simple pleasures stories. Can I have permission to use it in the book?

Thanks,
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  9:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Anyone "sorta new" to this sight, check out the traveling apron thread...you might want to participate!!
Go to Top of Page

zachariah2b
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  12:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Dear Farmgals,
I have never posted before (ever, anywhere - yikes!), but I thought it wouldn't be right if I didn't tell how you've inspired me (the anti-plagiarist in me I guess). I stumbled on to your site looking for a blue jean apron design. I didn't find it, but your conversations about aprons made me think about my design and I finally came up with something that I am happy with. I was looking to make something for my mom out of her dad's old jeans (sentimental), and I thought an apron would be good (she's an artist). After reading your musings I was convinced. This is what I did: I took the back of the pants off the waistband, and took out all the side seams. I made the front into a skirt front by sewing the leg scraps (below the knee) into the "V" made by the front of the legs (above the knee). The front is still attached to the waistband. I took the back of the pants, turned them upsidedown and attached them to the front at the waistband so that the legs go over the shoulders. I put a small seam down the middle of the "seat" to make it narrower and more bib-like. I took the back pockets off (they were upside down at that point). I narrowed the legs so that they are more like apron straps than jean legs and crossed them in the back and sewed them, crossed, onto the waistband. I cut the waistband at the back (center) and added a button and a denim loop (adds a little breathing room too). Finally, I resewed the back pockets on the front. It looks like a jean-jumper from the front, with a v-neck, and an "X" in the back with a loop/button closure at the waistband. (Nothing tied or resting on the neck). I really do not sew by any stretch of the imagination, and I want to thank you for all the info and photos posted that helped me think about this project. I used a pair of my own jeans to figure it all out, so now I have my own and I LOVE wearing it. I guess I found my alter ego!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Aprons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page